• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward ops to show PS4 footage for COD IGN vids- a series first since MS deal?

HariKari

I missed this before. This doesn't make sense. Activision said a long time ago next gen was lead and they were porting to current gen.

Saying and doing are two different things. Certainly does not look like next gen was the lead platform. Physics and other goodies thrown in for sure, but nothing that would rule out a 360/PS3 to next gen port.

That was honestly unexpected. That means Activision will go with Sony this gen, seeing how MS went with EA?

24102.gif

lol

SeanR1221

Saying and doing are two different things. Certainly does not look like next gen was the lead platform. Physics and other goodies thrown in for sure, but nothing that would rule out a 360/PS3 to next gen port.

Ehhhhhh...I'm gonna trust the word of the developer over a grape vine anecdote.

HariKari

Ehhhhhh...I'm gonna trust the word of the developer over a grape vine anecdote.

The word of the developer isn't worth much in some cases. DICE claimed right up until about a month before BF3 launched that PC was the lead platform. Then "hah, no, ps3 all the way." If there ever was a game (or game development schedule) that would have an incentive to not really develop for next gen as lead it'd be Call of Duty. Only FIFA and Madden beat it in that regard.

As keen as we here at NeoGAF seem to be on making that accusation about everything, in this case no way as it almost certainly would be a breach of contract for Activision.

What can MS do to them? Nothing. Sue them? sure and Activision will practically make their version of the game crap, crappy servers, low res textures, bad frame rates

I've been predominantly a shooter guy this last gen & this surprises the hell out of me. Also wouldn't be shocked if MS allowed this to happen since maybe the Xbone version doesn't run as smooth. They'll be getting a shitload of money either way, might as well show the best version at all times?

My bets on power though, and this is GREAT news if this is what happens going further with 3rd party games on any platform. Show your game on what plays best. How it should always be

From the NFS thread:
These are the co-marketing/content deals iirc.

Sony
Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Watch_Dogs
Activision: Destiny, Diablo III
Take-Two: NBA 2K14

Microsoft:
EA: FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, Garden Warfare, Peggle - seem to have a very broad partnership deal
Activision: Call of Duty: Ghosts

Not sure if I'm missing any?
If Activision starts showing off Destiny on XB1, or Take-Two showing of 2K14 on XB1, rather than PS4 than that would also seem odd.
Multiplat shown on Xbox one...money hat
Multiplat shown on PS4...confirmed PS4 superiority

This thread is riduclous, mod should lock this up
Which multiplatform games have been shown on the XB1? Or more specifically, which have been shown with longstanding co-marketing agreements between Sony and the third party publisher still in effect?

Ebomb

Banned

jayu26

Expect you missed the part where this game is being shown on PS4, when (and I'm totally making an educated guess here) MS does not even allow them to mention PS4 and servers in the same sentence.

Ebomb

Banned
Expect you missed the part where this game is being shown on PS4, when (and I'm totally making an educated guess here) MS does not even allow them to mention PS4 and servers in the same sentence.

Your argument is not only a contradiction of itself, it reinforces my response. I feel dirty just commenting in this thread, I'm out.

Wille517

Neo Member
What can MS do to them? Nothing. Sue them? sure and Activision will practically make their version of the game crap, crappy servers, low res textures, bad frame rates
And then what Activision gets nailed with a class action consumer suit for intentionally putting out a broken game to spite MS and misrepresenting its product. Even without a class action suit from gamers the PR disaster and sales loss they'd incur makes this just an asine idea.

frizby

Which multiplatform games have been shown on the XB1? Or more specifically, which have been shown with longstanding co-marketing agreements between Sony and the third party publisher still in effect?

Was hoping there'd be some answer other than "GAF makes me feel dirty"

Too bad.

Pop

Oh so you mean EA Sports...

Devs will always show the superior version.

dolabla

Anybody remember there was an anonymous dev that came out a few months ago and said the PS4 version of Ghosts will be noticeably different than the Xbox One version?

Could that have been an actual COD dev with the way he singled out Ghosts?

EA's words not mine. At least that's what they're hoping BF4 can do. But yeah it doesn't matter does it

It could do COD numbers considering its on three platforms already but it depends if it catches on with the less hardcore orientated folk. I can see Microsoft heavily marketing it for a start which will help a lot considering its new ip.

shem935

Banned
Your argument is not only a contradiction of itself, it reinforces my response. I feel dirty just commenting in this thread, I'm out.

That contradiction (Activisions deal with MS and the fact they are showing the game on ps4) is literally the point of the thread....can you read?

Or were you too busy sticking your nose in the air while thinking you were better than everyone else?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a MASSIVE improvement.
Current Gen COD = Sub Hd Textures at 60fps
Nex Gen COD = 1080p Native Textures at 60fps

What does this even mean? What's a "1080p native texture"? That really doesn't make sense when talking about 3D graphics, there's no 1:1 mapping between texels and rendered pixels, so I'm not sure how a texture size could be "native" to a specific rendering resolution. (Not doubting that the next-gen versions will have higher-res textures, but that's not the point.)

jayu26

The fact that Infinity ward guy was not allow to directly confirm servers for PS4 leads me to believe that there is some truth to my statement. I qualified my earlier response with "educated guess" because I'm not privy to contractual agreement between MS and Activision. But, my brain does have ability to deduce, and I'm sure so does yours.

params7

Banned
I just saw BF4 tv spot with nothing but xb1 logos all over, no PS4 logos.

So I guess its going to be Sony/CoD partnership this time around? Its funny how it goes.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Ask yourself this:

How many times did we see multiplatform games shown on the 360 instead of PS3? Just about 99% of the time--funny that it was usually the best version.

Now ask yourself this:

How many times have we seen multiplatform games shown on the PS4 instead of Xbone? As far as I know...we've only seen Fifa and Battlefield running on Xbones thus far.

jayu26

So I guess its going to be Sony/CoD partnership this time around? Its funny how it goes.

CoD ads are still going to have Xbone logo predominantly. This should hold true for CoD:Ghost at least.

What does this even mean? What's a "1080p native texture"? That really doesn't make sense when talking about 3D graphics, there's no 1:1 mapping between texels and rendered pixels, so I'm not sure how a texture size could be "native" to a specific rendering resolution. (Not doubting that the next-gen versions will have higher-res textures, but that's not the point.)

I meant to put 1080p native resolution.

Pain

Banned
Multiplat marketed as Xbox one game...money hat
Multiplat gameplay shown on PS4...confirmed PS4 superiority

FIXED.
Sony does marketing deals just like Microsoft. Both do "moneyhats" on the biggest franchises out there.

This however has nothing to do with marketing deals. Just seems Activision is showing the best version to the press.

(BTW, is that thread whining I see?)

FIXED.
Sony does marketing deals just like Microsoft. Both do "moneyhats" on the biggest franchises out there.

This however has nothing to do with marketing deals. Just seems Activision is showing the best version to the press.
Ha, I'm pretty sure you just proved his point.

Yoday

The PC is the new lead platform for games. They start on PC and branch out to xbox 1, ps4, etc. That seems to be the most efficient way to do multiplatforms now.
More specifically engines are now the "lead platform", they just happen to be built on PC's. People really need to get over this whole "lead platform" thing. Multiplatform games have been built to engines, and not individual consoles for a long time now. They just build their game on an engine that lives on a PC, and then scale to each platform. The only real limiting factor seems to be what they set as their floor and ceiling for their specs. This is why we hear terms like "build" instead of "port" from developers now.

Squalltdx

Yeah, I saw it about a couple nights ago. I think it was the first time I've seen any commercial relating to X1. There's 2 different BF4 commercials airing, a multi platform one and and X1 only version.

params7

Banned
Yeah, I saw it about a couple nights ago. I think it was the first time I've seen any commercial relating to X1. There's 2 different BF4 commercials airing, a multi platform one and and X1 only version.

Did you see the mulit-platform one on TV? I thought that was internet only. But that's good.

It could do COD numbers considering its on three platforms already but it depends if it catches on with the less hardcore orientated folk. I can see Microsoft heavily marketing it for a start which will help a lot considering its new ip.

Considering how much buzz it had after E3 that's a safe bet. That game will be a definite success

Squalltdx

Yeah, saw it on TV. The 2nd time I noticed it was different before it ended when I saw "Representative of Xbox One footage" quote at the bottom.

CoD is played by a lot more people on Xbox than PlayStation. I'm surprised that they wouldn't be showing on their next gen console considering that has become the platform of choice for that franchise.

You might wanna check the numbers on that. In the US sure but worldwide I doubt the PS3 version of COD is that far behind the 360

Top Bottom