• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 (PS4/XB1) announced, has (microtransaction?) gameplay changing lootcrates

How excited are you about gameplay changing loot crates (maybe w/ microtransactions)?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slayven

So is Ra's al Ghul going to be the ultimate big bad? "The Pit" makes me think yes.
superman-falls-into-an-apokolips-fire-pit-1.jpg

shaowebb

Welp, I'll skip this just like I skipped Overwatch. Shame, first one was pretty good.

No to microtransactions, no to gatcha bullshit.

And again I say that microtransactions haven't been brought up yet. Thats just speculation. If there is a quote on microtransactions please someone post it otherwise lets stop tossing it around like its a thing yet.

Here's my guess - unlocks will be a combination of:

1 - New costumes/costume accessories that don't affect gameplay and are unlocked by completing story mode/reaching certain levels with characters/certain overall player levels.

2 - Items that have an effect on gameplay will be similar to a first person shooter's load-outs as applied to the variation system. Basically, I would assume that it is essentially the variation system, but that players unlock them. I would think that certain loot adds to, say Batman's gadgets (unlocks smoke grenade moves, for example) OR increase his mobility via grappling hook BUT players will have to choose which of these things they want to take into battle.

I would imagine these will be unlocked across all modes of the game and that there won't be such a grind/steep ceiling that it keeps new players from unlocking/competing.

In other words, it's not going to be that you can increase Batman's speed, power, special moves and EX meter gain like an RPG so that a level 30 Batman is inherently more powerful than a level 20 Batman, but you'll unlock things that allow you to choose one (or two) to bring into battle.

I would expect that NRS has shown their wanting to enter the FGC enough through MKX (the ESL, pot bonuses, new netcode) that whatever they introduce here, will be fairly accessible to everyone/anyone.

Stoked to see this game in action. Injustice was a real hit with my friends...and I love the idea of constant unlocks.

Oh yeah, and I for sure expect that there'll be paid DLC (Suicide Squad costume pack, Batman Vs. Superman costume pack, etc.) and character packs but that none of it will be gameplay altering in the pay to win sense (other than the first couple of weeks of new character additions before they are fully balanced with community testing).

ReaperXL7

vMnh00N.jpg

Yup. This is gonna be a hot mess.

Sounds like it could be pretty cool, I'm glad they are trying to mix up the genre in ways that could make it really fun for casual fans instead of just pandering to the hardcore FGC. Really curious to see how it works.

Neoxon

Sounds like it could be pretty cool, I'm glad they are trying to mix up the genre instead of just pandering to the hardcore FGC. Really curious to see how it works.
But it's gonna kill this game's chances at a good competitive future if this isn't handled properly. There should be a balance of keeping the casuals happy & keeping the FGC happy.

Wonder if they are trying to Destiny-ify a fighting game?

But it's gonna kill this game's chances at a good competitive future if this isn't handled properly. There should be a balance of keeping the casuals happy & keeping the FGC happy.

Let's be real, is FGC acceptance really that important and vital to a game's mainstream success? SFV has the FGC and it hasn't translated to much with the mainstream, and, on the opposite end, the recent MK and Injustice games have seemingly had trouble really sticking on the FGC in comparison to some bigger games, yet they are wildly popular and incredibly successful for WB and NRS.

fernoca

And again I say that microtransactions haven't been brought up yet. Thats just speculation. If there is a quote on microtransactions please someone post it otherwise lets stop tossing it around like its a thing yet.
Yep.
Microtransctions are not mentioned at all.

Granted, is expected; but the current info focuses on the player earning said loot by playing.

Doesnt need a competitive future to get into the coletitive scene.

Games like Smash has always been developed for everyone, but balanced enough that people adapted them to the FGC.

shaowebb

How so? It doesn't say what is used for tournament and various modes at all there. If there is a standard mode and standard mode has its own online then this wont affect a thing on the base game. It'd do a lot for the casuals and player retention though.

vg260

Yup, like MKX. Seemed to do ok with both.

How so? It doesn't say what is used for tournament and various modes at all there. If there is a standard mode and standard mode has its own online then this wont affect a thing on the base game. It'd do a lot for the casuals and player retention though.

Then they better explain themselves asap.

Honestly, it sounds like what KI is going to do with their Shadows Lords mode, but at least they didn't lead off with this kind of thing, and will be a separate mode.

Neoxon

And that's great. But as you said, there has to be an online mode for default-only play as well as a means to turn off customizations offline to keep the FGC happy.

Sounds like campaign only?
Yep sounds like single player or a optional mode. But people need to overreact without concrete information.

Was Soul Calibur also a hot mess because it had costumizable options for characters? No.

Lets just wait for E3 and gameplay and more information before we bring out the pitchforks.

ReaperXL7

It's a shame Marvel has Damage Control, because DC and NRS could really use it right now.

Not really, as it stands the bulk majority of people who are going to buy this game are not the type who are going to care about the "meta"

That's not where MK has ever made its money.

Realistically all they have to do is turn off the stat boosts in a competitive mode. I already admitted earlier in this thread though that I'm a casual FG fan, so I'm perfectly happy that NR is seemingly making a fighting game for people that capcom told to go fuck themselves.

Tabby

Welp, I'll skip this just like I skipped Overwatch. Shame, first one was pretty good.

No to microtransactions, no to gatcha bullshit.
Seems dumb to skip Overwatch for something that literally doesn't affect you at all.

Neoxon

Seriously lost my shit when Supergirl appeared.

I hope Benoist will voice her :D
She'll probably have a CW costume like Green Arrow did in the first game (with Benoist voicing her while you're using the alt).

Yup, like MKX. Seemed to do ok with both.
Recent drop of MKX entrants aside, NRS did find a good balance with MKX. The only thing they need to nail down now is keeping the competitive scene's attention.

Hex

Banned

Because everything has to be terrible. Doom and gloom. Hey something new let me piss on it!

It sounds great and alot of fun, and it is a safe bet that there will be a raw vs mode for competition.

I believe that they worked on a similar game on the mobile phone. It was....it what that WWE fighting game. They had a similar thing there, where you could buy cards that buffed your characters or whatever.

It seems they're adapting that style of system. I dunno, this doesn't sound good. Like, Overwatch did it alright, you can buy cosmetic shit. But gameplay affecting stuff? ehhh

RootCause

Character creation would be amazing, especially if they don't limit it to a couple of slots like xenoverse. Unlimited slots, or 50+ slots would be insane.

Johndoey

Banned
As long as they do the obvious thing of having modes where only the base version of characters are available this could be fine.

But they need to clarify.

fernoca

I believe that they worked on a similar game on the mobile phone. It was....it what that WWE fighting game. They had a similar thing there, where you could buy cards that buffed your characters or whatever.

It seems they're adapting that style of system. I dunno, this doesn't sound good. Like, Overwatch did it alright, you can buy cosmetic shit. But gameplay affecting stuff? ehhh
Technically, the Injustice mobile game did and does that. :p

That has been a huge success, so it seems they adapted the mobile stuff onto the console game.

Though I liked opening card packs, so I hope there are some cards in this one. XD

Neoxon

Not really, as it stands the bulk majority of people who are going to buy this game are not the type who are going to care about the "meta"

That's not where MK has ever made its money.

Realistically all they have to do is turn off the stat boosts in a competitive mode. I already admitted earlier in this thread though that I'm a casual FG fan, so I'm perfectly happy that NR is seemingly making a fighting game for people that capcom told to go fuck themselves.
But if NRS isn't careful with this, they may veer Injustice 2 in the polar opposite direction as SFV (in that casuals are catered to almost exclusively). But hopefully NRS payed attention to where SFxT messed up & avoids those pitfalls.

Maztorre

Why the fuck would I want cosmetic gear designed by NRS? It's clear from the CG trailer they still don't know how to design a character.

Not that I will have any choice in the matter thanks to WB's fantastic support of the PC platform. It's a complete joke that they can't bring an already multiplatform Unreal Engine title to PC when your average Japanese Vita developer can port to PC better than they do.

MiguelItUp

NRS hasn't said anything about Microtransactions though. Thats all just stuff folks are speculating in here.

Understood. But at the same time I think it's something that could totally happen unfortunately. It's a theme that unfortunately seems to be more and more common. It's gross. :(

Caffeine

i'm sure they will have Gear lobbies with benefits and comp lobbies restricting gear benefits other than cosmetic look.

Vice

And that's great. But as you said, there has to be an online mode for default-only play as well as a means to turn off customizations offline to keep the FGC happy.
The FGC can be prodded into liking something new, the customization stuff could be fun for ranked online. One more thing to think about in the game.

A headache for tournaments though. But, the entrant numbers will drop off a cliff after a year like all NRS games most likely.

KingJ2002

powerup gear huh? unless you can turn that stuff off in competitive play... it would eliminate this game for balance purposes

vg260

The FGC can be prodded into liking something new, the customization stuff could be fun for ranked online. One more thing to think about in the game.

A headache for tournaments though. But, the entrant numbers will drop off a cliff after a year like all NRS games most likely.

Character customization stuff that actually affects a character's properties and obtained from randomized loot drops needs to stay the heck out of ranked online.

shaowebb

Because everything has to be terrible. Doom and gloom. Hey something new let me piss on it!

It sounds great and alot of fun, and it is a safe bet that there will be a raw vs mode for competition.

Pretty much how I feel about this too. Folks are all outrage culture based now and eager to find something new to get in arms about. This sounds fun to me and it likely will be mode based. They already said they have a lot of modes too.

If you don't know the full story then only take it for what it is. We know they support the FGC and then some. I doubt they'd kill that off by ignoring a base mode with online options like a "For Glory" thing in this title. They definitely have a good concept for longterm though. They said they want this to be a longterm title and with gear and lootcrates in other modes I can see it capturing a ton of casual play. Hell LoL manages in team based modes to turn this sort of gear environment into something major. Can't wait to see if there are tag modes or beat em up modes or something.

More info, as has been said, is needed. Till then they haven't said anything to really be pissed about. They never said microtransactions or that lootcrate based random gear is part of the main tournament meta so chill outrage culture folks. We good for now. Wait till anything bad is even said before you assume the worst and piss all over stuff. We aint even seen gameplay or modes yet.

jett

D-Member
vMnh00N.jpg

Only when viewed from the FGC perspective.

FGC is just niche. It has never broken out, I don't know if it's ever going to. NR is probably doing the right move catering to the casual fans, financially speaking. SFV is what happens when you do the opposite.

shaowebb

Why the fuck would I want cosmetic gear designed by NRS? It's clear from the CG trailer they still don't know how to design a character.

You're joking right? Their concept art is pretty stellar. They've had hit and miss CG models but their core texture artists and concept artists have always been praise worthy. Just look at MK and Injustice. That Shazam, D'vorah, Smoke's new look in MK9 (hell ALL the ninjas new looks), and on and on.

And the PC stuff was outsourced to High Voltage who have historically fucked over everything they've ever ported. If outsourcing is the only option to add this then fuck that. Better to not stain your rep through someone else's mistakes. MKX proved that. If they go PC they can just do it in house or nothing later IMO. I'll pay full retail for something that works, but PC prices aren't really a plus on busted games and I wont exactly care about doing more mods and custom stuff to a PC title thats too busted to play.

I'd rather someone admit they dont have the budget to port to PC right and not do it than have them get my hopes up and fail. PC has a ton of different hardware specs and is the most difficult to port to. If someone can't do it affordably then they just can't do it. Maybe if they pull profit later. Many studios do this once they have money enough to focus on doing it right.

Wait, Injustice released 3 years ago? Holy shit does time fly.

Oh and how the fuck will this gear shit work in tournaments? Disabled right? What if it can't be disabled like gems in SFxT?

Probably. Don't care about Supergirl. That's a basic as fuck inclusion.

I wish Netherrealm got some new artists. Even in this cg trailer they still look kind of ugly.

Top Bottom