• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Input Lag on PS1 Classics?

Narroo

So, I just booted up Breath of Fire IV on my PS3, downloaded straight from PSN!

And...I've got about 1/2 of input lag. It's enough to make navigation a challenge!

Anyone know what's this is about? Is this common to PS1 classics? Any way to fix it?

And...I've got about 1/2 of input lag. It's enough to make navigation a challenge!

Anyone know what's this is about? Is this common to PS1 classics? Any way to fix it?
I would expect screen lag to be an issue if you aren't using a CRT television, but not that big of an issue.

braves01

Banned
Is it possible it's just the game? I know BoF4 and some of the older jrpgs from that era are a bit clunky as far controls go.

Every PS1 game, digital or physical, has input lag when played on the PS3 through HDMI or component.

It sucks because it makes rhythm games unplayable.

mothball

Yes, it's been known for a while that any non-composite connection used with PS1 games on a PS3 will result in 3 (? actual amount unconfirmed) frames of latency.

Three

1/2 what. 1/2 seconds? That's pretty bad if true. I assume it depends on the game.

I know Crash Bandicoot has unplayable input lag. Mega Man 2 (Import classics) also has this issue. For some reason, Mega Man 4 doesn't have any input lag though.

I've played Metal Gear Solid VR Missions on PS3 and Vita and it seems like there is input lag on both. Maybe that's just how it played originally, if so, that sucks.

I only play PS1 games on my Vita, but I've never experienced any input lag that I have noticed. Now I'm worried that I eventually will, as I have over 30 PS1 Classics I am making my way through.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This might be why I cant beat crash 1.

Anyone can confirm if this is present in Vita versions?

I don't know if this is applicable, because I don't know if it's the ports fault but, the megaman 1-4 ports are unplayable for me due to the input lag on the vita.

On the flipside, I can play megaman x 4 without issue.

mekes

All PS1+2 classics come with a few frames of input lag when played on the PS3.

I remember being so happy when CVS2 finally got released on the PS store. Then, so upset just 2 minutes after it finished downloading.

FinKL

All PS1+2 classics come with a few frames of input lag when played on the PS3.

I remember being so happy when CVS2 finally got released on the PS store. Then, so upset just 2 minutes after it finished downloading.

wtf? That's horrible...I'm surprised this didn't get much attention.

I've only played Mega Man X4 on Vita, and didn't "feel" any lag.

From other threads discussing this topic, it seems that the culprit is the ps3 internal upscaling and the hdmi. Fellow gaffers have said that playing the games turning off the upscale, enabling game mode on your tv will, somewhat alleviate a bit of the input lag. Although playing in a more native resolution (via component or composite) on an older tv will make it like before.

Narroo

Well, first off, I'm using component cables in order to stop the PS3 from ruining the picture. Second, this is on the order of 30 or so frames of input delay, not 3.

Hm....

I turn screen mode off and set my TV to 4:3. No idea if it makes a difference, but it gives me the best results on my plasma.

Been playing Gradius V with no issues.

Neff

Turn this off.

jv6SLy.jpg

It'll save you about 2-3 frames of lag. Outside of configuring your TV though, there's not much you can do. It's a known problem.

Narroo

Turn this off.

jv6SLy.jpg

It'll save you about 2-3 frames of lag. Outside of configuring your TV though, there's not much you can do. It's a known problem.

Oh well.

Thing is, I could have sworn this wasn't an issue with other PS1 classics, so maybe it is the game? (But, no one has mentioned it before, and it seems to be pretty game breaking.)

Neff

Oh well.

Thing is, I could have sworn this wasn't an issue with other PS1 classics, so maybe it is the game? (But, no one has mentioned it before, and it seems to be pretty game breaking.)

It's not that bad. I have a 17ms TV (about 1-2 frames of lag) and of the 50 or so PSone/PS2 Classics I have, they're all enjoyably playable, with the exception of shmups which really do need instant inputs imo.

Mak

Every PS1 game, digital or physical, has input lag when played on the PS3 through HDMI or component.

It sucks because it makes rhythm games unplayable.

Composite too. There was a noticeable amount of input lag for me playing a PS3 on an SD CRT TV with composite cables with PS One discs that made Mega Man X4 feel sluggish and timing the jumps difficult in the clock tower stage of Castlevania Chronicles. When I switched back to the PS2, it was much easier to get through Castlevania, and Mega Man X4 felt responsive.

PS1 games, disc or digital, have awful lag on PS3 for some reason. PS2 games on my backwards compatible fat PS3 have absolutely no lag. Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy are unplayable, while Parappa the Rapper 2 (on PS2) plays fine.

I don't know why.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
PS1 games, disc or digital, have awful lag on PS3 for some reason. PS2 games on my backwards compatible fat PS3 have absolutely no lag. Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy are unplayable, while Parappa the Rapper 2 (on PS2) plays fine.

I don't know why.

False. There's like... a solid 3+ frames of input lag for PS2 games on the PS3.

Turn this off.

jv6SLy.jpg

Sony sucks. I've been holding off getting a PS3 because I want one with BC, and now I see there's no point.

Tain

Turn this off.

jv6SLy.jpg

Does anybody know when this option was added and if it's been measured? I always heard we got 3 frames of lag with PS2/PS1 games regardless of the PS3's final output resolution but I don't remember anybody talking about this option. Since that was years ago I can only assume this is a new thing.

I guess I could always camera test it if I find the time.

Does anybody know when this option was added and if it's been measured? I always heard we got 3 frames of lag with PS2/PS1 games regardless of the PS3's final output resolution but I don't remember anybody talking about this option. Since that was years ago I can only assume this is a new thing.

I guess I could always camera test it if I find the time.

That option has been there since the beginning, IIRC. 2008 at the latest.

OuterLimits

I realized this quickly when playing Legend of Dragoon. I kept missing the timing actions during battle. I was so excited to hear Volcano but I kept missing. :)

Tain

That option has been there since the beginning, IIRC. 2008 at the latest.

Huh, interesting.

I guess my next question is if the video signal is still deinterlaced when upscaling is off, but regardless, you'll be getting lag be it from the PS3 or a TV's deinterlacing.

Pretty sure the input lag is around 40-50ms (3 frames and change at 60 fps). Big deal for some games, irrelevant for others.

I just play on my PS2.

I... didn't actually consider this!

Maybe I should plug back in the old PS2 to play Um Jammer Lammy (which is pretty damn bad on PS3). Strangely, stuff like Vib Ribbon and R-Type Delta are fine so I guess I'm only really sensitive if games have very strict input windows.

I never noticed any when I played and beat Final Fantasy IX, Threads of Fate, Dino Crisis 2, Resident Evil 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and Bloody Roar II.

Top Bottom