• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Input Lag on PS1 Classics?

Isn't emulation the best choice then?

I need to set up an emulator to work with my PS1 disks

emulators have their own sets of problems--different timings, glitches, etc. they're an approximation. The PS3 is using an emulator (so is the PS2, but it's a hell of a lot better, though it does have issues, lag not being one of them for the most part.) There's basically nothing around original console + crt or a framemeister for the best experience...trust me, I tried to get around this forever!

there's a big subjective component to this too though. Aside from rhythm games and others that have near frame-perfect stuff, a person could adjust to input lag or not notice it at all if they haven't played the game before.

Narroo

Still, I'd like to know what's causing more input lag in one PS1 game compared to another. BoF4 is near unplayable, while Crash Team Racing, which I also got, seems to work fine.

But doesn't PS2 have the PS1 CPU on board? That means the games are run on hardware, not emulated. As I recall, besides PS1 playback it is also used for input/output such as USB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_hardware#I.2FO_processor

Isn't that only true for the slims?

It's still an incomplete solution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

also, Nijigahara Holograph is cool MrDoctor!

AlanOC91

Every PS1 game, digital or physical, has input lag when played on the PS3 through HDMI or component.

It sucks because it makes rhythm games unplayable.

I'm not so sure. I played through loads of Incredible Crisis on my PS3 through HDMI. Seemed perfectly playable for me.

I'm not so sure. I played through loads of Incredible Crisis on my PS3 through HDMI. Seemed perfectly playable for me.

Playable? Yes. Free of input lag? No.

Yeah, I had never tried Incredible Crisis on anything other than my PS3 so I wasn't sure if it was a matter of extreme input lag or me being really horrible at the game.

I do, however, have a lot of experience playing Parappa, Um Jammer Lammy, and older versions of DDR on all three systems and playing them on the PS3 is the worst experience out of the three. Like someone else mentioned, deciding whether a game is playable/unplayable because of lag really depends on both how strict the input windows are for each particular game and personal skill. I can't play DDR on the PS3 with the same timing I use on the PS1/2, but, like you said, I could adjust my playing to line up with the input lag, making it playable.

Then again, when you have a game/genre that's completely built around timed inputs and music, I don't think that you could consider most rhythm games with major lag issues to be "playable" as intended, IMO.

You do know that every single PS3 sold has PS1 BC right?

Or are people seeing lag with discs as well?

Since PS2 BC is the differential, when I say "PS3 with BC" I mean PS2 BC. Sorry, it was obvious in my mind.

I do, however, have a lot of experience playing Parappa, Um Jammer Lammy, and older versions of DDR on all three systems and playing them on the PS3 is the worst experience out of the three.

Any diff between PS1 and PS2? I don't think there's any, but I figure I should ask.

Card Boy

Banned
LCD, Plasma, LED vs CRT TVs
PS3 PS1 emulation
Dual Shock 3 wireless controller instead of wired

3 factors that contribute to the input lag

REDSLATE

Yeah, I had never tried Incredible Crisis on anything other than my PS3 so I wasn't sure if it was a matter of extreme input lag or me being really horrible at the game.

I do, however, have a lot of experience playing Parappa, Um Jammer Lammy, and older versions of DDR on all three systems and playing them on the PS3 is the worst experience out of the three...

Does this include PS2 DDR games as well? If I had any of the PS DDRs, I'd pop them in and try them. I'm currently of the impression that input lag is negligable on an A01.

HE1NZ

Banned
I've been looking for some tests and this thread keeps coming up in Google.

Does PS3 actually add some input lag when emulating PS1 games or not? Doesn't matter the TV. PS1 games controls feel kinda janky, but I never owned the actual hardware, only emulated it. Anybody seen any tests online?

Shifty1897

I've been looking for some tests and this thread keeps coming up in Google.

Does PS3 actually add some input lag when emulating PS1 games or not? Doesn't matter the TV. PS1 games controls feel kinda janky, but I never owned the actual hardware, only emulated it. Anybody seen any tests online?
Digital Foundry is a big fan of the PS1 emulation on PS3, they would have mentioned input lag if it was there. I used it a ton back in the day and never noticed any input lag either. Probably, just people with cheap flat screen TV's not using Game Mode.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Digital Foundry is a big fan of the PS1 emulation on PS3, they would have mentioned input lag if it was there. I used it a ton back in the day and never noticed any input lag either. Probably, just people with cheap flat screen TV's not using Game Mode.
Just tried connecting PSP-2000 through component and it's much faster. Not gonna be using PS3 for PS1 games anymore.

Top Bottom