• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

headerzmzne.gif

neogafyrzh9.png

Hunted and alone, a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project.

Platform: XB1, PC (via Steam), PS4
Release Date: XB1 - June 29th, PC - July 7th, PS4 - August 23rd
Price: $19.99/£15.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital Only
Developer/Publisher: Playdead
ESRB: M
File Size: 2.31 GB (XB1)

faqt3lle.png

What is INSIDE?
INSIDE is a cinematic platformer from the developers of LIMBO where you will play as young boy traversing through a series of platforming challenges and puzzles.

What's a cinematic platformer?
Cinematic platformers are a small but distinct subgenre of platform games, usually distinguished by their relative realism compared to traditional platformers.
These games focus on fluid, lifelike movements, without the unnatural physics found in nearly all other platform games.

How long is the game?
3½ to 5 hours.

What is the exclusivity arrangement on with Microsoft?
INSIDE is a "Console Debut" on Xbox One. Will eventually be on "many" platforms.

Is this an Xbox "Play Anywhere" title?
No.

Are there giant spiders in INSIDE?
Not likely...

screenshot38x0n.png

trailerskzy7c.png

reviewsqvlby.png

Review Thread

IGN 10/10
Inside very clearly builds upon what made Limbo great, and in fact builds something greater. Its unimaginable twist may leave you dumbfounded, confused, and quite possibly speechless, but it will fuel heated discussion with your friends about its meaning, its message, and its intentions. It’s a short ride, but one I felt compelled to take again – including a search for its mysterious hidden orb collectibles. Play it soon before anyone spoils a single big moment for you.

GiantBomb 5/5

It feels strange to talk so little in specific about a game I'm so impressed by, and I could write a review three times as long citing examples like the first time you put on that... ah, forget it. This is less a nod to overly sensitive spoiler culture and more an acknowledgement of Inside as a work of singular creativity and meticulous design, one of those games where the more it surprises you, the more it'll impress you. I have a hard time coming up with much, other than a conclusion that left me wanting a little more, that this game could do better. It's that question of the gap between ambition and fulfillment, a gap which here is all but nonexistent. Looking at and playing Inside gives the feeling that every surface, every animation, every light and pixel were placed and replaced until they all fit together just right. You see where the six years went. I can't even picture what kind of game Playdead could make another six years from now.

GameInformer 9.75/10
Inside has excellent gameplay, thoughtful puzzles, and deadly obstacles that are entertaining to avoid – but it feels wrong to call the game “fun.” The full experience, from its opening moments to a finale that left my mouth agape, is a strangely uncomfortable one. The world’s implied history immediately pulled me in, and it’s an experience I can’t put out of my head. My chest tightens as I recall the feeling of entering new areas, succumbing to surprise deaths and witnessing its many unexpected moments. By the end, I felt as though I had lived through someone’s horrible dream, and I couldn’t wait to do it all over again.

linksxmlmz.png

Spoiler Thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240582

Thanks to More_Badass for the thread title.

aravuus

I think I first heard of this game like... Yesterday. I don't think I ever finished LIMBO but I loved what I played of it, so I'll be sure to get Inside day one on PC.

Zach

Oooh. Didn't realize it was over three hours long (wasn't LIMBO about that?). Even more excited now! :D

Tankard

Limbo was one of my favourite games last generation, so good to see the studio might have another hit on their hands.
Will have to wait to play it, but it's gonna be worth it. Enjoy.

danowat

Banned
Just preorder and preloaded, can't wait to see what the buzz is about.

Apparently it's best to go in COMPLETELY blind, so I am trying to stay away from ANY spoilers, so I'd appreciate it if no one posted anything like that!

ekim

Repost:
It's Wednesday already in NZ. Can I buy the game from there or does it release the same moment WW?

Lima

Repost:
It's Wednesday already in NZ. Can I buy the game from there or does it release the same moment WW?

You can. Australia is same time zone so pick up some cheap credit from g2a and buy it. They blocked credit cards sadly.

DirtyLarry

How I wish this was a Play Anywhere title so I can also enjoy it on my PC but alas, I could not wait for the PC version to be released and I also did play Limbo on the 360 so felt as if it was only right I played it's spiritual successor on the One.
I already gave my wife the heads up I will be playing this tonight. I do not do that with many games but I did it with this one, and that is before I read the review scores just now.
Cannot wait to get home tonight.

Fuchs

I haven't played it and I've got a question for some of you guys, who've already played it:

I just finished watching Giantbomb's Quicklook and I think I got the "twist" of the game at the scene
where the player got into that mind-controlling thing in that barn.
So I figure in the end you'll find out that the boy you've been controlling the whole time is controlled by someone else in the game (maybe by some kind of antagonist).

I hope I'm wrong and I still can get excited about the story.

How similar to Limbo is this game? I didn't love Limbo. I appreciated the earlier parts much more than the later because of how frustrating some parts became due to the iffy platforming mechanics. Is Inside similar in this regard?

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I haven't played it and I've got a question for some of you guys, who've already played it:

I just finished watching Giantbomb's Quicklook and I think I got the "twist" of the game at the scene
where the player got into that mind-controlling thing in that barn.
So I figure in the end you'll find out that the boy you've been controlling the whole time is controlled by someone else in the game (maybe by some kind of antagonist).

I hope I'm wrong and I still can get excited about the story.

There isn't a plot twist as such, just a bunch of surreal moments and one VERY surreal moment. It's not worth trying to second guess, I promise you won't see any of it coming.

Kyonashi

Very tempting to pick this up on Steam even though I'd rather play it on the sofa with a controller - not sure if I can wait months for the inevitable PS4 port though.

Limbo's brisk pacing was one of the many things I loved about it. It never settled on one thing, but rather was constantly moving and introducing new challenges or environments.

Fuchs

There isn't a plot twist as such, just a bunch of surreal moments and one VERY surreal moment. It's not worth trying to second guess, I promise you won't see any of it coming.

Aww, yiss! This makes me so, so excited! Thanks!

gamz

Limbo's brisk pacing was one of the many things I loved about it. It never settled on one thing, but rather was constantly moving and introducing new challenges or environments.

Exactly, and typically I hate games where you die 1000 times, but this game never frustrated me. Just kept plugging away.

papercamm

I am very excited to finally play this game. I played through Limbo maybe five times and this one looks like it's going to be even better, if not a masterpiece like all the reviews are saying.

Limbo was one of my favorite games and I remember playing it straight from 2 in the morning until I beat it. The game stuck with me for weeks afterwards even though it was just a simple platformer. The story/music was incredible. This game wasn't even on my radar until yesterday. Can't wait.

I loved that the game was a simple puzzle game but if you really wanted to dive deep there was an incredibly sad and memorable story there.

Top Bottom