• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE |OT| Limbo's Big Brother is Watching You

XaosWolf

I have just played it as well, and I have got to say I'm a bit conflicted about it. I definitely liked the atmosphere/setting/story more than Limbo, but I felt like there wasn't enough actual gameplay, if that makes sense? As in, there is a lot of just walking right in this game, but I can't say I didn't enjoy what I played.

I played through it yesterday morning and these are my thoughts too.
The later parts reminded me of Gish though.

zoukka

Great game and the last part was completely insane and unexpected. Not sure if I like the ending though.
I guess there wasn't any great reveal, any conclusion to be had in this game

Can't deny I wanted something more from the end.

void666

Banned
Playing through the game right now and fuck
those hairy kids
Loving the game so far. Creepy as fuck.

Oh, and fuck
the dogs too.

Edit: Credits rolling and all i can think of is
*****WTF*****

Just finished this. Pretty underwhelmed. I love minimalist story telling in games, puzzle platformers and artsy/indie games and ... well, this one just didn't do it for me. The ending was rather goofy and the puzzles were dead simple. I read up on the theories and they add nothing to the experience for me. I enjoyed, but didn't love, Limbo. Maybe I'm just past this style of game now. It was refreshing and new in 2011-12 but now atmospheric indies come out every week. This one just didn't stand apart for me.

xviper

got this game few days ago because it was 40% OFF on ps4

this game is amazing, it really surprised me, even though the environment is the same yet i did not feel any repetitiveness, i actually can't find any flaws at all except that it's VERY short, it took me 2h30m to finish it and that is VERY disappointing

my score for it is 8\10

it would have been easily a 10\10 game but it's too short for a 20$ game

i hope the developers next game in 6 years takes at least 5 hours to beat and is as good as Inside

psyfi

Banned
Got this game the other night via the PSN sale and man, I kind of like it, but the trial and error gameplay is really frustrating. And the floaty, clumsy physics. I just got past the part where you have to climb over the fence over and over again to evade a pack of dogs while removing boards off a door, and it's SO TEDIOUS. I find most activities in this game tedious, really. It's just move incredibly slowly from one room to another, figure out how to solve the simple / obvious puzzles, and repeat. The atmosphere and art are amazing, but the gameplay itself is such a drag. I don't get all the praise, but maybe I'll feel it by the time I'm through.

joeblow

Got this game the other night via the PSN sale and man, I kind of like it, but the trial and error gameplay is really frustrating. And the floaty, clumsy physics. I just got past the part where you have to climb over the fence over and over again to evade a pack of dogs while removing boards off a door, and it's SO TEDIOUS. I find most activities in this game tedious, really. It's just move incredibly slowly from one room to another, figure out how to solve the simple / obvious puzzles, and repeat. The atmosphere and art are amazing, but the gameplay itself is such a drag. I don't get all the praise, but maybe I'll feel it by the time I'm through.
That scene is not tedious if you do it right. Look for obvious visual clues and eliminate the reason why you can't do what you want to do efficiently.

Partial puzzle spoiler:
Falling down off the fence and getting back up takes a LOT of time, so you barely have any time left to pull off a board. Address that and you can pull off a full board each attempt.

Full puzzle spoiler:
You will involuntarily fall off the fence out of fear if you are too low when the dogs bite at you on the other side. Stay up high and when you get the dogs to run to the other side, instead of climbing down to the ground (which makes you fall), climb down a little bit and jump away from them. You will stumble but get up an run in one motion towards a board. You have plenty of time now to pull off one full board before you repeat this twice more instead of a half dozen more times.

got this game few days ago because it was 40% OFF on ps4

this game is amazing, it really surprised me, even though the environment is the same yet i did not feel any repetitiveness, i actually can't find any flaws at all except that it's VERY short, it took me 2h30m to finish it and that is VERY disappointing

my score for it is 810

it would have been easily a 1010 game but it's too short for a 20$ game

i hope the developers next game in 6 years takes at least 5 hours to beat and is as good as Inside

Couldn't disagree more. Inside takes the time it takes to tell the story and create the experience it wants to create. It has zero padding - we need more games like that.

Finished the game yesterday. I loved Limbo and I really loved Inside. These games reminded me so much Radiohead, that i think that in the future, everytime I listen some of their songs, I'll rememer these two masterpieces.

In this regard, Codex, from the album 'King of Limbs', could pass as an alternative soundtrack to Inside:

Sleight of hand
Jump off the end
Into a clear lake
No one around

Just dragonflies
Fantasize
No one gets hurt
You’ve done nothing wrong

Slide your hand
Jump off the end
The water's clear and innocent
The water's clear and innocent

mokeyjoe

Just played this last night. I liked Limbo but never finished for reasons I can't recall.

Really good game, with some moments of greatness. Also, I knew 'something' was coming near the end, but not... that.

Just to weigh in on the price thing. While I feel they would be underselling if it was much cheaper, given the care and attention to detail on show, i can understand why some people may find it expensive. If you game 3 hours a night then you'd be buying a game like this every day. Personally I feel the same about short AAA games too. I mean I rented UC4 for that reason. I got this on sale though, so it was a bit of a bargain.

Next up - The Witness.

drotahorror

Grabbed this with the 40% off coupon on steam for owning Limbo. I was hype for it and had planned on getting it day 1 but I tried playing Limbo for the millionth time prior to release and just couldn't finish it.

I should have bought it day 1.

Amazing, such a good game, one my favorites now. I plan on telling a few people they must get this.

Loved the different approach towards the end. I would have liked a better conclusion but it's all good. Would have been to know what the heck was going on. It's fun to think about it though.

I think the length was fine. Not sure how people put a price on something when they really enjoy something. If I had just played one of the best games in my life, paid $60 and it lasted 3 hours, I would not regret it one bit.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I just finished this today. I went in knowing nothing except it was from the same studio that did Limbo. Expectations were high and it did not disappoint.

Art direction is godlike, the sound design is on par too and the pacing is just perfect. It didn't felt short but it only took ~4hs to finish it.

I did not expect the last part at all, soooo gooood.

Any recommendations for something similar?

tERme9w.gif

CRdY0Oz.gif

Bought the game at the PSN sale, and just beat it.

Globally it was a good experience with interesting puzzles and a unique and well done setting.
I don't feel strongly about both the normal and secret ending.

A good game but I feel it to be a bit overhyped imho.

Recommended at a discount.

Top Bottom