• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] PlayStation 5 Pro is “100%” in Development.

PeteBull

The idea of Pro consoles in this current generation context is one of the most ridiculous things that could ever exist.

Understand one thing: these consoles will be nothing more than crutches for incompetent devs.
100% disagree here, we got no pr0 consoles now and we got plenty examples of both competent or incompetent devs, good tier S devteam can squeeze off max or close to max from any console.

SABRE220

The idea of Pro consoles in this current generation context is one of the most ridiculous things that could ever exist.

Understand one thing: these consoles will be nothing more than crutches for incompetent devs.
Lazy devs will shit the bed on base and pro consoles but the fact remains that the gpu tech from amd in the consoles is absolutely woeful in terms of handling rt and underwhelming in terms of ml. With multiple engines trying to implement real-time gi along with other effects, the rt rendering in the consoles has sadly become a significant bottleneck to the point several games fall close to or below 1080p when implementing more than just basic rt effects.

Lets not even go into the advanced rt suite of features, with ue5 implementing hardware-based lumen and with the option of multiple bounces and even pathtracing the pro consoles can easily distinguish themselves from the base consoles especially if they implement compute/ml blocks to implement frs3 etc. Good developers will find loopholes to still deliver great visuals on the base consoles but make no mistake several developers would love to be able to implement the features I mentioned.

Last edited:

nordique

Even though I got ps5 at launch, it still doesn’t feel like ps5 has even started to have proper gen yet

Whereas by ps4 pro it felt like we were well into that generation

Feels strange but ok Sony

So what are the rumored specs of PS5Pro?

Im guessing:
refined 5nm TSMC node (3nm is too expensive)
RAM to be close to 1TB/sec
Implementation of Raytracing Patent from Sony
4K/30fps with raytracing on (no dips). I don't mean subtle raytracing affects.
8k/30fps with no raytracing and FSR 3.0
Hopefully more SSD space?
Most likely going to make UHD drive external.
Maybe new storage medium?
No longer multi gen games from PS4 and PS4Pro, will use PS5 as the lowest common denominator.

Im not expecting much.

sendit

Needs to support whatever AMD is cooking up in terms of frame generation. Developers can target a subpar 30 FPS experience, and have frame generation hit the magical 60 FPS for consoles.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

100% agree. This will just move the goalpost yet "now we wait for ps6" and so on.
People talk about pro since day1 and we still barely have seen a good effort since ps5 launch

When would they release it? I'd rather get a PS5 slim in a much smaller form factor for the same/lower price than a PS5 Pro that's going to cost more when we are finally starting to see cross gen development die out.

Moneal

There isn't any real reason to push a pro now or this gen in general. Games are close enough to 4k that most can't even tell. When 8k is adopted by the general public I could see it, but that isn't going to be a thing for a few years at best. RT isn't enough of a reason for a pro console.

Games are close enough to 4k that most can't even tell.

Diablo IV, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Dead Space Remake are not even close to 4k.

Especially not in the performance modes.

wH6T8Z1.gif

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
What makes you think so?
Considering that they put excessive heatsink material, the cooling wasn’t well tested. Expandable storage wasn’t ready for nearly a year (if I remember). VRR and 1440p support were not ready for more than a year. The actual design of the console is just clumsy, and the base is stupid. The disk drive is basically slapped on.

The console was rushed out, so they could kick off production early. It worked out for them, but the console was objectively rushed out the gate.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Phil saying that there isn't a Pro in the works before pretty big Starfield release and Holiday sales?

I am shocked, shocked I tell you. I will be even more shocked if next April Phil reveals the "most powerful console on the planet" with Series X Pro/ Series Y / etc for Holiday 2024 or early 2025 release.
I mean didn’t he say “right now” two or three times in reference to a pro console?

I didn’t watch the actual interview but did they ask him about next holiday?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Im guessing:
No longer multi gen games from PS4 and PS4Pro, will use PS5 as the lowest common denominator.

Im not expecting much.
So, you are expecting that jumping from 6nm to 5nm is going to get you all that in a box the same size of the current PS5 and maybe at $399-499 just 3 years after launch? You do not how unlikely it is right?

I think such a Pro console will disappoint people once the dust settles and you will start wishing for a Pro Pro version…

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We should get new consoles the moment it makes sense that you can get a tangible leap, either 2x framerate or 2x resolution.

Current gen consoles are running at 1440p 60 or 30. There's a lot more room to go and we would definitely benefit from new consoles
We would, if developers targeted them and they contained enough of a performance and capabilities jump to justify it.

If consumers were really happy with a bigger console box than PS5 and to pay $150-200 more per unit than they do today then yes maybe.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I do agree to somewhat of a degree. Basically these consoles haven't even been used this gen outside of ports. Even games like ratchet and demons souls are last gen games in a more current gen looking container. Nothing actually pushing the envelope.

I do think covid is to be blamed and also devs just not actually being ready this gen. We could have probably got an extra two years out of last gen and launched with better consoles.

Zathalus

Im guessing:

Im not expecting much.
Some of this is incredibly unlikely, 5nm is mostly just a 50% improvement in power consumption so at best we can expect a doubling in raster performance assuming increased power budget and some IPC improvement. More with RT is possible, but I doubt Sony/AMD is going to catch up with Nvidia. The fastest GDDR6 is 24Gbps so 1TB/sec is out of reach for now. 24Gbps is also extremely expensive at the moment.

No I wouldn’t say that.It’s an option for people who want the best performance.It’s optional so no one is forced to buy it.And here is the most important part the games will be made for the base PS5 and then improved for the pro not the other way around made first for pro and then crippled down to base.It’s a win win situation for everyone.People who want better performance get it.Developers who would like that their games are played with amazing ray tracing and native 4K in 60fps get it Sony gets money so everyone wins.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
I feel like developers haven't scratched the surface of SeriesX or PS5 yet, and 90% of the games we have if not more are all began as cross gen/last gen projects.
I'd be first in line for a SeriesX Pro, don't get me wrong, but I'm willing to be 2025 at the soonest

Spyxos

Gold Member
Needs to support whatever AMD is cooking up in terms of frame generation. Developers can target a subpar 30 FPS experience, and have frame generation hit the magical 60 FPS for consoles.
Unfortunately, it does not work that way. You need at least 60 fps for frame generation. 30 fps would be lag city.

Ivan

I'd actually love a true pro console capable of 120 fps performance mode for today's 120 Hz TVs. I'd even pay a true premium price.
Maybe when we see something like FSR 3 with frame generation on consoles one day, who knows.

It would even help with CPU limited games and additional lag wouldn't be a big deal on a controller.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
So, you are expecting that jumping from 6nm to 5nm is going to get you all that in a box the same size of the current PS5 and maybe at $399-499 just 3 years after launch? You do not how unlikely it is right?

I think such a Pro console will disappoint people once the dust settles and you will start wishing for a Pro Pro version…
You definitely won’t have that kind of bandwidth unless it’s stacked on the apu.

kaizenkko

No I wouldn’t say that.It’s an option for people who want the best performance.It’s optional so no one is forced to buy it.And here is the most important part the games will be made for the base PS5 and then improved for the pro not the other way around made first for pro and then crippled down to base.It’s a win win situation for everyone.People who want better performance get it.Developers who would like that their games are played with amazing ray tracing and native 4K in 60fps get it Sony gets money so everyone wins.
In a perfect world you would be right. But many games do not use the full potential that a hardware configuration can offer. The Pro consoles will not deliver a new level of quality/performance that justifies the device, it will simply serve as an excuse: "60fps is only possible on the Pro console".

Some devs have also been vocal in saying that more platforms to work with = more work. I don't see this as a positive thing for either side, but as the gaming community accepts literally anything, it will pass.

Last edited:
If a pro happens it should only be twice the TF count.Which means 20 maybe a faster clocked cpu instead the 3.5-3.8 maybe 4.2-4.5 something like that.the problem is if they go higher and AMD don’t get their stuff together and the PS6 will be a 50-60 TF machine a 30 TF PS5 pro will make the ps6 look like a bad machine.We can only hope AMD gets their cards strong and powre efficient with greatly improved ray tracing or else we will be looking on another 6-8 years of trashy underwhelming ray tracing.And if the machine is weak on top of that there will be again lots of cuts to achieve great looking games

If a pro happens it should only be twice the TF count.Which means 20 maybe a faster clocked cpu instead the 3.5-3.8 maybe 4.2-4.5 something like that.the problem is if they go higher and AMD don’t get their stuff together and the PS6 will be a 50-60 TF machine a 30 TF PS5 pro will make the ps6 look like a bad machine.We can only hope AMD gets their cards strong and powre efficient with greatly improved ray tracing or else we will be looking on another 6-8 years of trashy underwhelming ray tracing.And if the machine is weak on top of that there will be again lots of cuts to achieve great looking games
Both Playstation and Xbox had high demands from AMD for RDNA 2, things like rasterisation performance, and ray-tracing performance targets and AMD delivered. The same will happen for the next IP Sony and Microsoft decide they want to implement into their hardware. I wouldn't be concerned about the future consoles not hitting their performance targets based on AMD technological advances.

Loxus

Not really, the selling point of the PS6 should be AI.

Loxus

Do you think so?Even if the performance the graphics are underwhelming?
Performance and Graphics should not be underwhelming with the help of AI.

This is a good read of what AI can do for gaming.
6 Ways Machine Learning will be used in Game Development
WUXFtof.png

Change the last one to 'More Engaging Console Games'.

Plus AI upscaling is what I would assume the PS6 and next Xbox should offer, so the PS5 Pro being 30TF should not effect them.

Elios83

Imo the focus of the Pro will be ray tracing performance, that is the biggest weakness of current consoles, the AMD RDNA2 solution is just their first try implementation and it shows.
They will probably aim for 4x the ray tracing performance (if they're using RDNA4 technologies) and 2x general performance.
I wouldn't be surprised with a 599$ price, especially if it's aimed at core gamers.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Likely going over the latest 16 TF rumor which I personally buy as I have stated around 15 is what was talked about a lot earlier in the year
I don't get why that would be disappointing tho.

Are some ppl looking for a mid gen refresh or a PS6? lol

saintjules

I’ll take anything they offer for a 2x power for 500$ after 4 years . I mean common people , annual mobile phone releases are 1000$ with minimal increments so it’s most definitely worth it 😎

Just kidding, but yeah I think the price point might be $599. I don't see it being cheaper than the PSVR2.

Ovech-King

Gold Member

Just kidding, but yeah I think the price point might be $599. I don't see it being cheaper than the PSVR2.

Yeah given inflation the last 2 years , most probably more than 500$ but then again depends if they prefer taking a bigger lost per console sold to not scare of people with “big” prices

HTK

Banned
I think even a 16TF machine with over 2X the raytracing performance and close to 2x rasterization is a decent machine if they can keep it under $500 and buying two day one
I think we both agreed it made sense for it to be around 16TF, enough juice to get that 60fps in fidelity mode and enough to keep 120fps in performance mode more stable and push extra resolution as well. I think it’s a very conservative and just upgrade along with additional ray tracing if this is the case, might actually be able to keep the cost at $499 or at least $599.

SHA

You could swap textures on pc with mods and it's not risky, anything below that is degradation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom