• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Matt from Reeee on Sony Bought Exclusivity Deals

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It's anti consumerism to take away games from other platforms. They were focusing on Playstation already, Sony just pays them for not focusing on others but only theirs.

If you can't see that as anti consumerism, then you are a fanboy.
Sony did this back during the PS2 and Dreamcast days. I remember when they locked Madden from the DC. That ultimately killed DC. It won't kill Microsoft though. Still sucks in the end.

I truly believe that MS will have significant exclusive deals, but they will be oriented towards Gamepass. There is a clear path they are taking, and everything they are doing is a bet on GP. It doesn’t seem likely that MS will be spending a lot of money, if any, on exclusives that are not meant for GP.

Yeah I guess this could mean games more in the vein of Destiny 2, or possibly the next Fortnite type of mega hero shooter, etc. I'm curious to what extent they can get those types of games as day-and-date on GP being they're 3rd-party offerings. I imagine they could strike up good deals for those however.

Funny enough I can see Sony and Microsoft potentially bidding for exclusive content or timed exclusivity on certain portions of game content. Like say if for GTA6 Sony got timed exclusivity of story campaign content and Microsoft did similar for some GTA online multiplayer mode content. Basically, I can see 3rd-parties tailoring perks playing to each platform's perceived ecosystem strengths.

Sony did this back during the PS2 and Dreamcast days. I remember when they locked Madden from the DC. That ultimately killed DC. It won't kill Microsoft though. Still sucks in the end.

Actually I think that was all EA; they offered sports game exclusivity to SEGA, but it meant SEGA would've had to close Visual Concepts, or revamp them to make something other than sports games.

Since SEGA had only recently purchased VC by that point, they turned the deal down, so EA skipped support for Dreamcast. That didn't have anything to do with Sony tbh. However, Sony did do stuff like this to SEGA during the PS1/Saturn era; they made a deal with Eidos to publish the PS1 version of Tomb Raider ahead of the Saturn one even though that game used the Saturn as the base system for development. They then signed exclusivity contract for Tomb Raider 2 preventing development for Saturn (or it may've been a timed exclusive; Saturn's demise more or less cancelled the game getting a Saturn port though; my memory's a bit fuzzy on the Tomb Raider 2 situation tbh).

They did something kind of similar with Resident Evil 3; Capcom was actually developing Code Veronica as the true RE2 sequel but since it wasn't on a PS system, and Sony had an agreement with Capcom for 3 main RE games on the PS1, they forced Capcom to turn PS1 RE3 from a side-story into a properly numerical sequel, hence the "intended" RE3 on Dreamcast was renamed Code: Veronica.

Last edited:

GHG

You honestly think Activision would sign with Sony WITHOUT going to Microsoft for a counter offer? For something as big as timed exclusive for the biggest game of the year? Lol

Whatever counter-offer Microsoft would have put on the table would have involved gamepass and most likely a "day one" on gamepass kind of deal.

Most major publishers would want nothing to do with that for their major blockbuster titles.

Last edited:
I think in the end which one is anti consumer is depends on where your preferences lie. If I buy a PS5 I won't have access to the Medium and if I buy an XSX I won't have access to Spiderman in that game. Either way I'm getting screwed somehow. If I buy both systems I will never have an issue but if I buy only one then I'll feel buyer's remorse at some point.

Buying a studio is different. They are now funding the development vs buying exclusivity for a period of time. Sony is no different with their studio acquisitions.

How is it different from a consumer perspective though? Ninja Theory would of continued to make content for multiple platforms until Microsoft gave them money and now they only make content for their platform.

Gavon West

How is it different from a consumer perspective though? Ninja Theory would of continued to make content for multiple platforms until Microsoft gave them money and now they only make content for their platform.
Its different because Ninja Theory was still in need of money to make games. The acquisition was a boon for the company. What Sony is doing is actually trying to bully Microsoft with their traditional business model in order to try and thwart MSs new business model with an agnostic approach and open ecosystem to multiple devices. I can't blame Sony for doing what has always worked for them in the past. And they should because Microsoft has a pretty savvy business model themselves. They basically rewrote the playbook for the last few years in preparation for this next gen. Its risky, but if it works, Sony will be left on the sidelines as they just aren't on the same level as MS when it comes to GP and game streaming. We'll see soon enough..

Sony are a good company but they have done some dickish things in the past. In the UK they would pay retailers for shelf space so the Dreamcast would get less exposure. Not really fair but they built up a strong base with the PS1 at the time.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Again, these are smaller AA to indie. Not full blown AAA games.

Earlier last month when Microsoft was rumroed to buy WB Games

Microsoft Expresses Interest in Acquiring Warner Game Unit

No one said 100% buy. Now you're just moving goal posts broski.

And they would lose a lot of PS gamers if their noteworthy, WB license games went Xbox exclusive. But Gamepass and the Xbox community would grow exponentially. That's the point.

If you really are looking at it from a corporate financial position, then you cant argue that this type of acquisition is EXACTLY that. Thats not looking at things from a green tinted perspective at all. Those are just facts.

The studios and licenses from this kind of acquisition would pretty much guarantee Xbox wins a huge majority of the mind share back with gamers next gen. It would take a few years to recoup the investment but something like this is a long game any way.

Game Pass!

You seriously dont see how huge of an impact having Batman, MK, Lego, LotR or even HP on the Xbox ecosystem could have on gaining more mind share in the gaming community, world wide, for MS? Like, really? Really?? And these are just the licenses, not the talent associated with a purchase like this. This is a juggernaut deal to be sure. It would automatically put XGS a step above the competition. IF.......this happens.

You liked the idea of MS buying WB games and keeping it away from PS to create better mindshare..

Now timed exclusives for Sony is a problem.

Talk about major goalpost moving.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Its different because Ninja Theory was still in need of money to make games. The acquisition was a boon for the company. What Sony is doing is actually trying to bully Microsoft with their traditional business model in order to try and thwart MSs new business model with an agnostic approach and open ecosystem to multiple devices. I can't blame Sony for doing what has always worked for them in the past. And they should because Microsoft has a pretty savvy business model themselves. They basically rewrote the playbook for the last few years in preparation for this next gen. Its risky, but if it works, Sony will be left on the sidelines as they just aren't on the same level as MS when it comes to GP and game streaming. We'll see soon enough..
All they would really need to do is pivot and start releasing first party games on PS Now. Obviously it would take a massive shift in behaviour of customers in order to make them do it. I can't see it happening any time soon and I like that they're both taking different approaches to their business models.

Klayzer

Its always different because of this or that.

quest

Not Banned from OT
These are smaller AA and indie games. Not full blown AAA games. Not even the same thing. Come on...
Pretty much and people are counting Microsoft first party games since they are console launch exclusives. To compare some indy game and console ending COD or GTA6 is disingenuous. I saw both shows each had about the same amount of low end timed exclusives. For every medium there was a kena. Project athia was by far the biggest timed exclusive of either show. Its comparing a knife to nuclear warhead. To compare a deal worth 3 insomniacs to phantasy star online 2 lol. Having lived through the crash and Nintendo seal of approval one company having an iron fist control on the industry is not good for the consumer. I can understand the warriors out in full force celebrating the elimination of the last foe. Just be careful what you wish for it just may come true.

Leyasu

Banned
Why is it that everytime someone says something (was it Grubb who started the whole buying exclusivity?) you start getting the other attention seeking so-called insiders claiming to be in the know, with their usual non-committal vague nonsense.

I have never been impressed with Matt and always thought that he just jumped on the bandwagon of the latest rumours with his vague confirmations. Just waiting for Klee to comeback with his bullshit claims too

mejin

H6uVHcG.gif

Gavon West

All they would really need to do is pivot and start releasing first party games on PS Now. Obviously it would take a massive shift in behaviour of customers in order to make them do it. I can't see it happening any time soon and I like that they're both taking different approaches to their business models.
If you pay attention to what Sony are doing now, I cant really see them putting their first party games on PSNow day and date at any time in the future. No chance, because their 1st party games see too much success with the traditional business model. No one can deny they sell very well just doing what their doing.

But you can see why Sony is being so aggressive now. GP on streaming services for a low monthly price ($14.99 to $9.99 monthly) is hugely attractive for a robust collection of 1st, 3rd and Indie games with unlimited access - wherever and whenever you want. Sony just isnt on that level. They cant even begin to compete there. Itll be very interesting to see which company has the their finger on the pulse of gamers on a world wide scale.

I can see Sony doing well hardware wise. Their good at that. But Microsoft/Xbox is king with software, subscriptions and Azure. And coincidentally, thats exactly where the industry is heading.

This is a waste of money Sony could have invested in new studios like WB Games acquisition.

Whats the goal here anyway? Steal away a couple sales from the soon to be DOA Xbox console?

Pointless and anti-consumer to boot, just like Xbox's similar deals in the past that they made out of pure desparation. Playstation doesn't need this shit.

Gavon West

Microsoft, the Rudy of the video game business. What happened to the big brass balls that eats up everything. Now Sony is bullying them, you can't make this shit up, lol.
STFU, foo. No one said Microsoft didnt have a counter. But if you follow Sony's history, theyre playing the same shit theyve done for decades. They better hope it works out for them and GP and Xcloud isnt something the gaming community actually embraces. If it is, Sony will have trouble. Namely being left behind as the rest of the industry moves forward.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If you pay attention to what Sony are doing now, I cant really see them putting their first party games on PSNow day and date at any time in the future. No chance, because their 1st party games see too much success with the traditional business model. No one can deny they sell very well just doing what their doing.

But you can see why Sony is being so aggressive now. GP on streaming services for a low monthly price ($14.99 to $9.99 monthly) is hugely attractive for a robust collection of 1st, 3rd and Indie games with unlimited access - wherever and whenever you want. Sony just isnt on that level. They cant even begin to compete there. Itll be very interesting to see which company has the their finger on the pulse of gamers on a world wide scale.

I can see Sony doing well hardware wise. Their good at that. But Microsoft/Xbox is king with software, subscriptions and Azure. And coincidentally, thats exactly where the industry is heading.
I think you're speaking to the converted, I have xCloud and Stadia. I've been saying for a ages that a future where streaming plays a significant role is inevitable. I was saying that PS Now is competent technically at streaming and Sony have the first party software pipeline, so if consumer behaviour reaches a point where that model makes more sense, Sony will be able to.

Now having said that, in the meantime Gamepass has a great opportunity to cement it's brand to be synonymous with the Netflix like model. I think it is a very smart move to New making such moves early.

Same can be said with any studio acquisition by either company. Not sure what your point is.

Plus paying for the development of the game makes the risk MS's. No different than Sunset Overdrive.

Last edited:

Klayzer

STFU, foo. No one said Microsoft didnt have a counter. But if you follow Sony's history, theyre playing the same shit theyve done for decades. They better hope it works out for them and GP and Xcloud isnt something the gaming community actually embraces. If it is, Sony will have trouble. Namely being left behind as the rest of the industry moves forward.
Yeah, its not like Sony couldn't do the same with their own liabray. Oh, and right back at ya fool. This is also where we pretend Xbox is the only company that can pivot to a different direction. We could play the what if/better hope for two step game all day.

THEAP99

Banned
“You know what, the 9th gen isn't Xbox vs Playstation. Or Playstation vs PC.

It's Playstation vs the World

As they've managed to make Xbox fans, Nintendo fans, and PC fans come together to hate on that platform as a united people.”

Lol king of software are you joking ? I get king of services maybe you should have said that but they are far from the king of software where consoles are concerned , I count games as software don't know what you count software as but games wise they pail in comparison year after year.

Rather these companies spend hundreds of millions on developing new ips, paying their own devs better, bigger teams less crunch, hell just a big donation to a good charity. Maybe pay for 750,000 cleft pallet surgeries. Honestly anything but timed exclusives.

Klayzer

Lol king of software are you joking ? I get king of services maybe you should have said that but they are far from the king of software where consoles are concerned , I count games as software don't know what you count software as but games wise they pail in comparison year after year.
That guy posts always have some kind of Earth2 feel to it, where Xbox is dominating the industry, and everybody else is trying to reach Microsoft's brilliance.

wolffy71

Banned
The thing is this just makes MS need to moneyhat things more than ever. No idea what it is but devs will just create add ons specifically for exclusivity deals with platform approval. The practice isnt great for us as a whole regardless of which platforms ponies up cash.

Gavon West

I think you're speaking to the converted, I have xCloud and Stadia. I've been saying for a ages that a future where streaming plays a significant role is inevitable. I was saying that PS Now is competent technically at streaming and Sony have the first party software pipeline, so if consumer behaviour reaches a point where that model makes more sense, Sony will be able to.

Now having said that, in the meantime Gamepass has a great opportunity to cement it's brand to be synonymous with the Netflix like model. I think it is a very smart move to New making such moves early.
No,

No, I get it. If Sony is put into a position where they HAVE to put their 1st party games on PS Now, they will. I agree. But that would be them taking a huge loss in order to grow PS Now into what GP is. They simply cant afford to do that. They are no position to compete in the cloud streaming service either. It takes billions to put something like Azure together. And a service like GP where day and date 1st party games requires being able to stabilize a service with huge funding as a safety net for major losses for a duration of time. This is something they arent willing to do either.

What fundemtally needs to be considered, regardless if Sony gamers want to admit it or not is that PS is Sony's bread and butter! That's their defacto money maker under Sony's umbrella. Thats why they invest so heavily in the in it. If the PS brand takes a hit, Sony could realistically see some huge doors close for the brand - therefore a potential end for Sony. Microsoft isnt in this position. Microsoft is huge. They currently make about $150 million dollars A DAY as a company! Thats insane!

Xbox is just one avenue for the company entirely. If Sony eeks out a win this generation Microsoft will still be in the game because they can afford to do it. Thats not true for Sony. Even with them being the sales leader this generation, they still cant afford the risk of a loss this coming generation. Because as I mentioned, PS is their bread and butter. So now we see them doubling down on locking up third party deals with well known AAA games that were once multi platform. But there's no guarantee the cards their playing will succeed against this new piece of real estate with GP and game streaming -- which Microsoft has been building around Sony for years now. When Microsoft says they will be able to reach 2 billion potential gamers with this new initiative, they arent kidding - especially with Xcloud. Sony just aint there! And if they decide to put their 1st party games on PS Now like Xbox, they will need to take a massive risk and take on huge losses in order to keep their initiative afloat.

If you want to know what business model Sony will invest heavily in, or if you want to understand where they can actually [afford] to invest in and what they cant, read the moves their playing now. It isnt in subscriptions. It isnt in cloud gaming. Hell, if you look at the PS5 you can tell they didnt invest as heavily as Microsoft did, hence why its weaker. Still a powerful machine, mind you. But their investing in their 1st party and locking up 3rd party AAA multi platform games. Again, just more traditional. They arent equipped for where the industry is heading though. And they cant afford to take the risks Microsoft are taking. But Microsoft also doesnt know if their risks and major investments theyve made in the last couple of years will pay off yet, either. We'll just have to see what happens.... But I think what Microsoft is doing is very, very smart.

They are the only company in all of the players that can offer 1st party games day and date (not to mention Xbox legacy games from OG Xbox to Series X games), on a low cost subscription service funneled through a very competent cloud streaming service provided by their own company. No one else, including Google or Amazon, can make such a claim.

Last edited:
I remember when 'Shinobi' said, that the games revealed for the XSX will
be tremendous and will keep heads turning or some shit like that.

MHubert

We'll see how pro consumer it is when Microsoft does it. I'm fully expecting GaF to be fully onboard and just as supportive. /s
There will be whining and it will be equally as silly.

Edit: Seems like it did happen. Not so much whining though.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Im saying software in general. Not just games but the software, tools and services associated with. As far games go, software is subjective in my opinion. I dont care for Sony's games personally. Not enough diversity and their all the same to me. Just aint my bag. Xbox games are more up my alley.

However, Sony did do stuff like this to SEGA during the PS1/Saturn era; they made a deal with Eidos to publish the PS1 version of Tomb Raider ahead of the Saturn one even though that game used the Saturn as the base system for development.

It was the other way round, the Saturn version of Tomb Raider released a month before the PS1 one.

BeardGawd

Banned
Why does everyone say MS started this trend? I'm pretty sure there were exclusives long before Tomb Raider. Wasn't GTA timed exclusive to PlayStation at some point?

Last edited:
Top Bottom