• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony Contacted All Major Third Parties for Exclusivity Deals, Offered More Money Than Microsoft

this day will forever be remembered
edQBUXU.jpg

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Read the thread you’re in. Sony went to every major publisher trying to buy exclusives away from MS. That’s how they were starving them. MS and Sony biggest games have always been third parties.
Who is to say that Sony's exclusive spending spree wasn't a reaction to them getting wind of the MS Bethesda acquisition? You would have to think that the acquisition has been in the pipeline for some time. MS didn't just read this rumour on Gaf and pull $7bn out their ass.

sainraja

Why not buy a few studios with this money?

Sony has studios in place working on exclusive content. This is likely to ensure the first few years have exclusive content. I mean, one of their studios just released one of the biggest titles they had (I know, I know, with some controversy, but still true.)

Megatron

Who is to say that Sony's exclusive spending spree wasn't a reaction to them getting wind of the MS Bethesda acquisition? You would have to think that the acquisition has been in the pipeline for some time. MS didn't just read this rumour on Gaf and pull $7bn out their ass.

Lol. Sure. Sony made those two exclusive deals with Bethesda and had started negotiating for Starfield AFTER Sony heard MS began negotiations to buy the company. That seems likely. ‘Hey we hear MS is going to buy you. Can we have Starfield exclusively?’

Last edited:

Schmick

I sincerely don't play them, have no interest in them. Yet acknowledge that it's a massive move from MS. Now Xbox has moved from being PlayStation's punching bag to "mildly" competing.
You know, i ought to come to GAF for informed discussions with fellow gamers about games (which happens occasionally) and also keep on top of news within the industry. But actually i come here for the laughs, especially when i read your posts. You are fucking hilarious!

Oh.... and (i hate that you made me do this!)

E5VQOEB.jpg

R2txVnX.jpg

EJUJ8mI.jpg

hHHe5YJ.jpg

edJ4Rys.jpg

sainraja

Lol. Sure. Sony made those two exclusive deals with Bethesda and had started negotiating for Starfield AFTER Sony heard MS began negotiations to buy the company. That seems likely. ‘Hey we hear MS is going to buy you. Can we have Starfield exclusively?’

The title of the thread doesn't say Sony went up to Bethesda. It says it went up to third-parties for exclusive content. I am not saying what he is suggesting is true or false, I am just pointing out that it is not impossible.

Now I don't know of the time the deals Sony and Bethesda made went into fruition; the buyout wasn't a guarantee for Bethesda so if Sony approached them while it was happening on the backend, they weren't going to just turn it down and if Sony did have insider knowledge into that, it would be in their favor to secure some content if you can, while you can. But would Sony be driven to do something like this because of that? I personally don't think so.

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
So, what is the result of all of this?
isn’t everything they did so far only TIMED exclusive stuff? And most of these are even only TIMED console exclusive, where most games even come out on PC at the same time?
Or is there any 100% confirmed full exclusive not coming to pc and Xbox for PS5 from a 3rd party?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus, these announcements bring out the true colours of some members, damn.
I think this was a good deal for MS, most of their IP are already associated with Xbox anyway
So...
I am a sony fan, but i had no loyalty. this blind fanboyism always rubbed me the wrong way. Sony just gave us a bunch of cross gen games, lied to us, is charging $70 per game, and you want me to support them? why?

no thanks. I guess it's easier for me because I was never a sony fan because i loved sony, i was a sony fan because i loved their first party games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So, what is the result of all of this?
isn’t everything they did so far only TIMED exclusive stuff? And most of these are even only TIMED console exclusive, where most games even come out on PC at the same time?
Or is there any 100% confirmed full exclusive not coming to pc and Xbox for PS5 from a 3rd party?
At the moment? MS is now releasing more PS5 Exclusives then Xbox Series X Exclusives 😂
I am a sony fan, but i had no loyalty. this blind fanboyism always rubbed me the wrong way. Sony just gave us a bunch of cross gen games, lied to us, is charging $70 per game, and you want me to support them? why?

no thanks. I guess it's easier for me because I was never a sony fan because i loved sony, i was a sony fan because i loved their first party games.
Fair enough, I feel ya
I personally don't think Sony will respond tbh.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You know, i ought to come to GAF for informed discussions with fellow gamers about games (which happens occasionally) and also keep on top of news within the industry. But actually i come here for the laughs, especially when i read your posts. You are fucking hilarious!

Oh.... and (i hate that you made me do this!)

E5VQOEB.jpg

R2txVnX.jpg

EJUJ8mI.jpg

hHHe5YJ.jpg

edJ4Rys.jpg

I would be dumb if I say those are shit games, but as said, I don't like them, but acknowledge them as great games with huge fanbases behind them. Guess what I also don't like/hate? Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Persona games, and lots of other games, and it's normal.

Glad that I entertain you, sir! Now this should push Sony a bit from the comfort zone they laid on. It should spark a healthy competition that will benefit all gamers.

Last edited:

Megatron

The title of the thread doesn't say Sony went up to Bethesda. It says it went up to third-parties for exclusive content. I am not saying what he is suggesting is true or false, I am just pointing out that it is not impossible.

Now I don't know of the time the deals Sony and Bethesda made went into fruition; the buyout wasn't a guarantee for Bethesda so if Sony approached them while it was happening on the backend, they weren't going to just turn it down and if Sony did have insider knowledge into that, it would be in their favor to secure some content if you can, while you can. But would Sony be driven to do something like this because of that? I personally don't think so.

The title says they went to ALL MAJOR third parties.Bethesda definitely qualifies. Or at least they did before today’s news.

And we have reports that they were negotiating about Starfield. So again, no they didn’t hear that MS was buying Bethesda and then tried to negotiate Starfield. The buyout news was the end of the negotiation, not the beginning. So Sony was Buying exclusives and this was the Microsoft response.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Careful what you wish for. If MS buries Sony, you won't like it long term. You should know what MS is capable of.
No one should want a monopoly for either company either would be shitheads with total control. This move just helps even things out gets Microsoft closer to 35% market share instead of 30% that is good we need them to stay.

oagboghi2

This is straight up deranged. Why are you taking this so personally.

Will you cry of feeling betrayed if Sony responds? Be honest

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

So now cross gen games are bad? I hate that they lied about it too, but now we aren't supposed to want to play Spiderman: MM or Horizon 2 just because it's on the PS4 also? That's odd.

SlimySnake

So now cross gen games are bad? I hate that they lied about it too, but now we aren't supposed to want to play Spiderman: MM or Horizon 2 just because it's on the PS4 also? That's odd.
cross gen games were always bad. you are getting an inferior product.

you can want to play whatever you want. im not going to judge. some people are into fucking while dressed as animals. People want what they want.

SlimySnake

This is straight up deranged. Why are taking this so personally.

Will you cry of feel betrayed if Sony responds? Be honest
i am not sure how you read that post and thought I am taking this personally. if anything I am not because i dont feel blind loyalty to Sony and I dont feel obliged to support them because i used to be a Sony fan.

mckmas8808

Careful what you wish for. If MS buries Sony, you won't like it long term. You should know what MS is capable of.

The good thing is it's literally impossible for MS to crush Sony in the video games space. The Xbox brand just isn't big enough world wide for that to happen. But your point still stands.

cross gen games were always bad. you are getting an inferior product.

you can want to play whatever you want. im not going to judge. some people are into fucking while dressed as animals. People want what they want.

I'd take a cross-gen game for a next-gen system if it means I get my games quicker. Or put it this way, I'm glad we are getting a new Horizon and Spiderman game within the first year of the PS5, instead of waiting until 2023 for the game (that's next-gen only).

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned

Yes, Crossgen games are bad. Furthermore, Paying an extra $10 for a crossgen game after buying the expensive new console to take advantage of it's full power is bad.
Sure, it makes business sense for Sony and no it has nothing to do with players having some type of exclusivity complex. It's about taking advantage of the new hardware.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Yes, Crossgen games are bad. Furthermore, Paying an extra $10 for a crossgen game after buying the expensive new console to take advantage of it's full power is bad.

So what's the other option that should be taken if cross-gen games are bad?

mckmas8808

Create new games for the new console you are selling at a premium price. Especially if you are bragging about it.

You mean like Ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls? I'm confused by you at this moment. Are we going to act like those games don't exist?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You mean like Ratchet and Clank and Demon Souls? I'm confused by you at this moment. Are we going to act like those games don't exist?

No. You asked me about crossgen games so that's what I answered to. I'm referring to the crossgen games they were deceitful about. Now, you may be rational, but this is where someone usually chimes in with "companies aren't your friend" as if we are supposed to eat their shit and like it.

Ratchet and Clank + Demons Souls look great.

mckmas8808

No. You asked me about crossgen games so that's what I answered to. I'm referring to the crossgen games they were deceitful about. Now, you may be rational, but this is where someone usually chimes in with "companies aren't your friend" as if we are supposed to eat their shit and like it.

Ratchet and Clank + Demons Souls look great.

I know companies aren't my friend. I "believe" most of us on GAF believe that too. And I think Sony (really Jim) was super stupid to lie about Spiderman: MM, but lets not act like those game won't be fun. Even though they will be held back by those weak Jag CPU cores ugh.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I know companies aren't my friend. I "believe" most of us on GAF believe that too. And I think Sony (really Jim) was super stupid to lie about Spiderman: MM, but lets not act like those game won't be fun. Even though they will be held back by those weak Jag CPU cores ugh.

They will still be fun, but the excitement of next-gen comes from playing the games that utilize the new hardware. Being deceitful about that is a big no-no in my book. It was the final straw in me deciding to wait for a Slim. At the end of the day, Sony still funds most of my favorite games, so it's painful for me to neglect them for a while, but I'm just fed up.

But I'll def agree that Sony does have some awesome launch/first year titles.

SirTerry-T

Well, I was honestly waiting for Xbox to vanish, seems like I need to wait for a few more years for Satya to axe it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: But I'm really not interested in their games, but Rage 2 was the only fun game I had, and Deathpool looks interesting. Could always play them on my PC anyway if something seriously must play. 🥳

Serious question Bo, why would you want Xbox to vanish? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

It's all,ultimately, just chunks of plastic and silicon that we play games on to escape from our real concerns for a few hours. I can appreciate the fact that you are a big Sony fan...nothing wrong with that but why get so wound up over the other team that you have no intention of supporting anyway? :)

Top Bottom