• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[INSOMNIAC LEAK] PlayStation Studios PC ports sales figures for Steam have leaked

Buggy Loop

Sorry you didn't enjoy them.

You're putting words in my mouth again

Where do I say they're bad games or didn't enjoy them? They're not just the second coming of Christ like years of hype make believe when you don't own the consoles.. I finished God of War and all valkyries etc, I enjoyed my time, I can still find stuff to critique and yes, overrated compared to the only mythique it built. IGN's best game of all time, come the fuck on.

I don't feel I'm saying anything controversial here, anything less than 10/10 is seen as if we don't enjoy it?

Can I put an 8 on God of War, say I enjoyed it to the point I think I quite completed the game thoroughly and think that for me it's not the best game in the art of video game history?

Last edited:

MikeM

seriously , the PC port stuff puts a big question mark over the purpose of a pro console
Nah man. As a PC/PS5 gamer, console has its perks. Give me a pro and i’m day one. Even tho my 7900xt is still stronger, I love the simplicity and trophy hunting on console. What we need now is a commitment to 60+fps gaming (i.e. uncap those frames for those with vrr TVs).

T-Cake

Nah man. As a PC/PS5 gamer, console has its perks. Give me a pro and i’m day one. Even tho my 7900xt is still stronger, I love the simplicity and trophy hunting on console. What we need now is a commitment to 60+fps gaming (i.e. uncap those frames for those with vrr TVs).

I used to feel the same way but trophies have lost their appeal to me over these past few months so I find myself on PC more and more.

Last edited:

MikeM

Because there are a lot of gamers, especially on this board that refuse to play on PC. They either don't want a tower in their living room or don't want the hassle of navigating an operating system, steam big picture mode or not. A PC with all its gubbins scares off a lot of less technical minded people also who don't want to open any case or think about changing parts. They have their favourite ecosystem they have invested in for decades at this point from their favourite brands. A high end gaming PC is also more expensive than a PS5 pro will be. I don't see there being a big crossover between PS5 pro and high end PC gamers.
People forget that, for those with careers, PC is synonymous with work. I know plenty of people in IT careers who flat out refuse to game on PC because of it.
You confuse don't think it's the best with people not owning the platform.

Sorry to hurt your feelings... but I bet most people here and @ any other popular online gaming hangout owns multiple capable gaming devices(including PC's)but prefer the consoles they own over the PC.

Most PC gamers own a PlayStation console and a Nintendo device.
Thats possible but these sites are a tiny fraction of the gaming population and no way reflect realities.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This Thread..

EcBGeNW.jpg

KXgS9cV.png
sSOehgg.png

gPnPkf6.png
QwXszNC.png

aL8UnH4.png
Oir1LAR.png

Here some output from the competition, for better context.

zfkdNQ0.png
BGuii62.png

DPYhFYV.png
5oHKgiE.png

Once again looks just like our juvenile PCMR community succumbing to the urge of embarrassing themselves, to the point wouldn't be suprised many didn't buy the games simply out of their hatred for Sony™.
PC gamers have a lot more games to split their time into. While I've played most of these games, I find that what this really shows is just how many games we have access to more than anything.

SNG32

Sony fanboys are going to be for a rude awakening once the gap gets smaller between PC and Sony as the budgets for these games get bigger the more reason to expand to pc gaming. All these dudes saying that sales on pc are low. First of all you’re talking about games that were released 6 - 3 years prior of course the games arent going to sell like hotcakes. The only real test to see how well Sony games sell on PC is a day and date release. Fuck all this other shit.

S0ULZB0URNE

People forget that, for those with careers, PC is synonymous with work. I know plenty of people in IT careers who flat out refuse to game on PC because of it.

Thats possible but these sites are a tiny fraction of the gaming population and no way reflect realities.
What's missing is casuals and casuals main consoles even more so.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't get why some Playstation owners get this mad over suggestions that Sony should release their on PC day one. Because you feel less special? It's literally something almost every publisher to.
Because it's a retardedly stupid suggestion that no one with a functioning brain would consider....that's why.

yurinka

Which proves my point no? Knack did over 400,000 physical in Japan and everything you listed either didn't get anywhere near that or was outsourced to someone else.

Therefore, the PS5's Japanese performance hasn't really been impacted by a lot of the Japan Studio internal developers being laid off.
Yes, it proves your point. I only added extra detail and context.

In fact I'd include Knack 2 in the list and I'd say that after Gravity Rush 2 (released a few months before Knack II, in January 2017) the only worth stuff they released is Team Asobi and 2nd party stuff.

It's also worth nothing that apparently according to this slide no PS4 Japan Studio game sold 4M copies. Sad to see Gravity Rush didn't get more love:

image.png

Last edited:

Stooky

Sony fanboys are going to be for a rude awakening once the gap gets smaller between PC and Sony as the budgets for these games get bigger the more reason to expand to pc gaming. All these dudes saying that sales on pc are low. First of all you’re talking about games that were released 6 - 3 years prior of course the games arent going to sell like hotcakes. The only real test to see how well Sony games sell on PC is a day and date release. Fuck all this other shit.
PC isn't the metric. Sony doesn't have to prove their games sell well on PC. These PC releases imo is way to get PC only gamers in the playstion economy. Sony would be much happier with PC gamers saying I like the spiderman! ill buy a PS5 for spider man 2 launch release. That's where they make more money

SNG32

PC isn't the metric. Sony doesn't have to prove their games sell well on PC. These PC releases imo is way to get PC only gamers in the playstion economy. Sony would be much happier with PC gamers saying I like the spiderman! ill buy a PS5 for spider man 2 launch release. That's where they make more money
Of course they would but like any other company they love money as well. Apple has many different products for its platform to be exclusive, iPhones, tablets, computers etc. Microsoft does too and they don’t have to rely on Xbox. Nintendo is in a good position because there games aren’t too crazy in budget and have the biggest exclusives. Sony is in a different position they can only sell so many PlayStations and budgets for gaming are only going to get higher for triple AAA they either raise the price to there games or expand to different platforms for others to have access to there exclusives.

This long gap between releases between PS5 and PC is only going to get smaller and smaller. Eventually they will starting testin on maximizing on a game with a shorter release gap and to see what the real profits are. All the the big third party developers use to treat pc like the plague now it’s a different story.

Stooky

Of course they would but like any other company they love money as well. Apple has many different products for its platform to be exclusive, iPhones, tablets, computers etc. Microsoft does too and they don’t have to rely on Xbox. Nintendo is in a good position because there games aren’t too crazy in budget and have the biggest exclusives. Sony is in a different position they can only sell so many PlayStations and budgets for gaming are only going to get higher for triple AAA they either raise the price to there games or expand to different platforms for others to have access to there exclusives.

This long gap between releases between PS5 and PC is only going to get smaller and smaller. Eventually they will starting testin on maximizing on a game with a shorter release gap and to see what the real profits are. All the the big third party developers use to treat pc like the plague now it’s a different story.
I don't think the gap gets smaller for PC unless those games don't sell on playstation hardware proof and point microsoft with gpass and pc releases. If PS console sales dip a lot then yeah i agree with you. For budgets on games there will definitely be a cap. There is only so much content that can be created when looking at time vs budget. I don't think we'll see games get much more expensive than what they are now, excluding the GTAs out there but thats something different. I think Ps PC sales are low because everyone played them on playstation. For Sony the apple/mac approach is much better especially because they are in the lead I think day one pc release would diminish that. its basically saying you can get Playstation games some where else other than playstation, and that would cut sales in hardware (controllers, console etc) and online subscription if people decided in majority to play Ps games on PC. Sony would rather you buy a console peripherals and that online subscribtion. mo money.

Last edited:

SNG32

I don't think the gap gets smaller for PC unless those games don't sell on playstation hardware proof and point microsoft with gpass and pc releases. If PS console sales dip a lot then yeah i agree with you. For budgets on games there will definitely be a cap. There is only so much content that can be created when looking at time vs budget. I don't think we'll see games get much more expensive than what they are now, excluding the GTAs out there but thats something different. I think Ps PC sales are low because everyone played them on playstation. For Sony the apple/mac approach is much better especially because they are in the lead I think day one pc release would diminish that. its basically saying you can get Playstation games some where else other than playstation, and that would cut sales in hardware (controllers, console etc) and online subscription if people decided in majority to play Ps games on PC. Sony would rather you buy a console peripherals and that online subscribtion. mo money.
I'm not saying Sony would do day and date. They will make an incentive that if your in the console ecosystem you get to play it first. But eventually the launch of games will be months instead of years between PC and Consoles releases.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The time gaps are already getting smaller.

UC Collection was 9 months, LOU Part 1 was 7 months, and GAAS games are day one on PC.

As far as PlayStation’s upcoming live-service games go, the gap between console and PC releases is entirely gone. In an interview with Julien Chieze on YouTube, Hermen Hulst, the head of PlayStation Studios, stated that the company’s in-development live-service games–of which there are 12–will all be released on day one for PC.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The way I see it, late PC ports are like additional money after the release of the game, so it's not a big investment and basically "mo money for uz".

No, you don't got a strong feeling. You're coping and are hopeful Sony will stop porting their games. Only morons would suggest 4-6 years. Who the fuck even suggested that? It's been over 3 years. Time to make peace with it. The PC ports of your favorite platforms aren't stopping, little warrior.

U mad bro? Who kicked your kitty?

I can guarantee you, a PC capable of performing like a PS5 Pro will be MUCH more expensive. Furthermore, how many fanboys on Gaf have you seen clamoring for a PS5 Pro all the while refusing to splurge for a gaming PC? Someone who wants a high-end PC will get a high-end PC. Someone who wants a PS5 Pro will get a PS5 Pro. You're not pulling people away from PC with your PS5 Pro and vice-versa.

NeoGAF isn't the entire core enthusiast community, for one. Secondly, a PC performing at PS5 Pro levels may cost more, but you'd get more in the long run such as a larger library of games, productivity usage, cheaper games, free online, mods, etc.

A lot of PC growth in the 2010s was from 360/PS3/Wii console gamers drifting over to Steam. Part of the reason the PS4 Pro and One X were made was to keep core enthusiasts who primarily played on the console from jumping over to primarily playing on the PC.

And that's the thing: primarily. Okay, someone who wants a high-end (really mid-end) PC can get one or just upgrade what they have. Someone who wants a PS5 Pro will get the PS5 Pro. Quite a few will have both, actually. But, it's a lot about where they spend most of their money & gaming time. There's no reason for Sony to give them less reasons to prioritize a PS5 Pro, by putting more of their big-draw games on PC in such close intervals or even Day 1.

It's plainly obvious how that creates a conflict of interest and only someone who wants to blindly ignore the downfall of Xbox from its peak, or its console sales, from the middle of the 360 era would pretend otherwise.

Come now, it's pretty obvious that looking at the sales numbers that the vast majority of the PC sales are either to those who would never buy a console at all or those that double dip. Both are preferable from Sony's point of view as the former is money they would never have had in the first place and the second is basically free money for them as well.

I'm sure there are some PC players that only bought a console for a handful of games and have now decided to not do so, but that is no loss for Sony as they want people to invest into the ecosystem and not somebody who buys a console and one or two games.

I'm not really saying to not give those players anything. However, it shouldn't come at the expense of maximizing the console. 2-year gaps simply aren't enough. It cheapens the value perception for the game console-side and would-be console buyers might just wait until it comes to PC before buying. But even if they buy it on PC at full price, Sony's cut is less than it'd of been if they bought it on the console, especially digitally. Plus most on PC wait until there's a steep sale, and they will probably be busy with some other game by the time the port comes if it isn't Day 1.

However, that doesn't justify making them Day 1; it justifies pushing back the porting window if anything. Again, always prioritize the console at the end of the day. That's where the most valued customers are at. So if they want to port those games, wait until there's a new installment or new big game from that studio coming to the console within 1-2 years, and if they offer improvements in the port, make them available to console owners who bought the game already for free or a small upgrade fee. This is just common-sense. SIE have been treading dangerously with the strategy of late because it was originally supposed to entice PC players to get a console. If anything they are likely starting to have the opposite effect: what reason is there to get the console if all the games are coming within a year or two?

If you don't feel you're in a rush to get the console, 1-2 years down the road isn't going to hurt you either for those ports to eventually come. It's Sony creating a problem for themselves when they should be creating a solution.

Stooky

The time gaps are already getting smaller.

UC Collection was 9 months, LOU Part 1 was 7 months, and GAAS games are day one on PC.

As far as PlayStation’s upcoming live-service games go, the gap between console and PC releases is entirely gone. In an interview with Julien Chieze on YouTube, Hermen Hulst, the head of PlayStation Studios, stated that the company’s in-development live-service games–of which there are 12–will all be released on day one for PC.
original ps TLOU and Uncharted release have been out for years. That's not really the same

Sorry but those cinematic games are for different audience. Pc folks are different. You re saying that they are the best games out there but they are not.

Doesn't this if anything justify why spending the resources on porting to PC are a waste of time? By the info in the leak, the PC ports can generally cost anywhere between say $20 million to something north of $30 million. Maybe $50 million for the bigger ones.

The money from just one or two of those ports could fund a decently-sized AA traditional 1P title on their own. Just think of all the 1P AA games SIE could've published between 2020 and now if they didn't divest that money to PC ports that in some cases are struggling to hit 50K copies sold.

I mean like you said they're different audiences, right? Which maybe for Sony's 1P, they are. But PC and console also share the vast majority of 3P titles now both AAA and AA so there is definitely overlap and that creates another problem with SIE enabling PC with additional value proposition at the expense of their own console as a competitive edge.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
SIE have been treading dangerously with the strategy of late because it was originally supposed to entice PC players to get a console.

Based on what, exactly? When did Sony describe their plan as hoping to convince PC players to buy a console? Or did they instead realize, sensibly, that there is a very large segment of the PC community that has no interest whatsoever in console systems but would be potentially interested in playing Sony titles on their preferred platform, an audience that they had up-to-then completely neglected?

Doesn't this if anything justify why spending the resources on porting to PC are a waste of time? By the info in the leak, the PC ports can generally cost anywhere between say $20 million to something north of $30 million. Maybe $50 million for the bigger ones.

The money from just one or two of those ports could fund a decently-sized AA traditional 1P title on their own. Just think of all the 1P AA games SIE could've published between 2020 and now if they didn't divest that money to PC ports that in some cases are struggling to hit 50K copies sold.

Where are you seeing that? This thread has far different numbers for porting costs, at most a few million per game for Insomniac's titles, with the result that even their lowest-selling port (Ratchet & Clank) easily paid for itself.

SNG32

Based on what, exactly? When did Sony describe their plan as hoping to convince PC players to buy a console? Or did they instead realize, sensibly, that there is a very large segment of the PC community that has no interest whatsoever in console systems but would be potentially interested in playing Sony titles on their preferred platform, an audience that they had up-to-then completely neglected?

Where are you seeing that? This thread has far different numbers for porting costs, at most a few million per game for Insomniac's titles, with the result that even their lowest-selling port (Ratchet & Clank) easily paid for itself.
Why continue to reply to this? This guy you’re responding to is a Sony Braveheart and not thinking business wise.

The idea of convincing PC users to buy a console with the ports was Shawn Layden's original idea behind them. It's why they stuck to games like Predator: Hunting Grounds for example as a port instead of the big AAA single-player releases they had at the time. That was the entire point. Pushing for all the 1P traditional releases to get ported or shrinking the window to 2 years max was more Jim Ryan's doing.

And here's also the thing: a portion of PC gamers (btw there's lots of different storefronts, are we just talking Steam here?) probably don't want a console because there is little reason to get one when they share at least 90% of the same 3P library among AAA and AA games. But if a console were to provide games they couldn't get on PC, they'd very likely buy one. If more such software came from 3P, those PC players would spend more of their time and money on the console.

Where do you think a large influx of the console players in the 360 era came from? Yeah a lot were from PlayStation and Nintendo, but a lot were also PC gamers who saw the collapse of the the AAA market on PC during that era and saw a lot of once PC-exclusive or centric devs shift to consoles like the 360. So they went and got the 360. When 360 and to a lesser extent PS3, started getting long in the tooth, they gradually started investing back into PC due to Steam.

What I'm getting at is, platforms have to give enough reason for someone to invest in them, and a lot of the audience between console and modern PC isn't mutually exclusive. Sony throwing their big ticket games onto PC with such short windows of duration gives PC users less of a reason to invest in a PlayStation. But if we're looking at the recent sales data leak for PC ports, clearly there aren't enough people on PC who want to buy them, at least not at full price or even at moderate sales prices.

So supposing that's true, and therefore a lot of what else I just said is invalidated in a sense...that fact alone still proves the PC ports are ultimately a waste of money, if that cash could fund more AA/mid-sized gaming experiences instead that add value to the console itself.

It's an opportunity cost at the end of the day. Part of Sony's pitch with these ports was that they would help fund more games. Instead at least two of the big GaaS titles they were making are cancelled, and even some of the few 1P traditional titles we know about like Wolverine, may be a bit further off than initially thought. That's what Sony put out there, to my knowledge, to convince console-first owners that the PC ports were worth doing, but it doesn't seem to have manifested in much. The revenue a lot of the latest ports are pulling in can barely cover the costs for a lower-end AAA game, combined.

So I don't really feel a port of R&C barely scraping by to justify itself is worth the opportunity cost of a couple new 1P AA games that could easily shift 10x that amount on the console.

Last edited:

tusharngf

I mean like you said they're different audiences, right? Which maybe for Sony's 1P, they are. But PC and console also share the vast majority of 3P titles now both AAA and AA so there is definitely overlap and that creates another problem with SIE enabling PC with additional value proposition at the expense of their own console as a competitive edge.
I think SONY is trying to bring more people to their franchises. Outside of PlayStation no one is hyped about these 3rd person action games. God of war did create some buzz but it's just a cinematic game. I can play soulslike all day but I could not play Spiderman or god of war for another 20-30hr. They are just plain boring for me.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The idea of convincing PC users to buy a console with the ports was Shawn Layden's original idea behind them. It's why they stuck to games like Predator: Hunting Grounds for example as a port instead of the big AAA single-player releases they had at the time. That was the entire point. Pushing for all the 1P traditional releases to get ported or shrinking the window to 2 years max was more Jim Ryan's doing.

And here's also the thing: a portion of PC gamers (btw there's lots of different storefronts, are we just talking Steam here?) probably don't want a console because there is little reason to get one when they share at least 90% of the same 3P library among AAA and AA games. But if a console were to provide games they couldn't get on PC, they'd very likely buy one. If more such software came from 3P, those PC players would spend more of their time and money on the console.

Where do you think a large influx of the console players in the 360 era came from? Yeah a lot were from PlayStation and Nintendo, but a lot were also PC gamers who saw the collapse of the the AAA market on PC during that era and saw a lot of once PC-exclusive or centric devs shift to consoles like the 360. So they went and got the 360. When 360 and to a lesser extent PS3, started getting long in the tooth, they gradually started investing back into PC due to Steam.

What I'm getting at is, platforms have to give enough reason for someone to invest in them, and a lot of the audience between console and modern PC isn't mutually exclusive. Sony throwing their big ticket games onto PC with such short windows of duration gives PC users less of a reason to invest in a PlayStation. But if we're looking at the recent sales data leak for PC ports, clearly there aren't enough people on PC who want to buy them, at least not at full price or even at moderate sales prices.

So supposing that's true, and therefore a lot of what else I just said is invalidated in a sense...that fact alone still proves the PC ports are ultimately a waste of money, if that cash could fund more AA/mid-sized gaming experiences instead that add value to the console itself.

So your source is "intuition" based on vague trends, is what I'm understanding.

In Layden's own words:
Speaking on the What's Up PlayStation podcast (via ArsTechnica), Shawn Layden said that "there's no losing in this transaction" when bringing PlayStation titles to PC. Layden said that he had been one of a number of people considering the release of Sony games on PC ahead of his departure from the company in October 2019, and that "the strategy as were developing it [...] was that we need to go out to where these new customers are, where these new fans could be. We need to go to where they are [...] because they've decided not to come to my house, so I've got to go to their house now."

He, too, seemed to grasp that the PC community represented an untapped market, an audience which by and large would never be interested in purchasing a console even if they had compelling exclusives.

It's an opportunity cost at the end of the day. Part of Sony's pitch with these ports was that they would help fund more games. Instead at least two of the big GaaS titles they were making are cancelled, and even some of the few 1P traditional titles we know about like Wolverine, may be a bit further off than initially thought. That's what Sony put out there, to my knowledge, to convince console-first owners that the PC ports were worth doing, but it doesn't seem to have manifested in much. The revenue a lot of the latest ports are pulling in can barely cover the costs for a lower-end AAA game, combined.

So I don't really feel a port of R&C barely scraping by to justify itself is worth the opportunity cost of a couple new 1P AA games that could easily shift 10x that amount on the console.

I think the fact that the PC port of R&C managed to pay for itself while the PS5 version ended up being a net financial loss for Sony speaks quite favorably for the continuation of their strategy. Like, seriously now, how exactly would they manage to produce a "couple new 1P AA games" with a total budget of a measly $2.5 million?

Zathalus

I'm not really saying to not give those players anything. However, it shouldn't come at the expense of maximizing the console. 2-year gaps simply aren't enough. It cheapens the value perception for the game console-side and would-be console buyers might just wait until it comes to PC before buying. But even if they buy it on PC at full price, Sony's cut is less than it'd of been if they bought it on the console, especially digitally. Plus most on PC wait until there's a steep sale, and they will probably be busy with some other game by the time the port comes if it isn't Day 1.

However, that doesn't justify making them Day 1; it justifies pushing back the porting window if anything. Again, always prioritize the console at the end of the day. That's where the most valued customers are at. So if they want to port those games, wait until there's a new installment or new big game from that studio coming to the console within 1-2 years, and if they offer improvements in the port, make them available to console owners who bought the game already for free or a small upgrade fee. This is just common-sense. SIE have been treading dangerously with the strategy of late because it was originally supposed to entice PC players to get a console. If anything they are likely starting to have the opposite effect: what reason is there to get the console if all the games are coming within a year or two?

If you don't feel you're in a rush to get the console, 1-2 years down the road isn't going to hurt you either for those ports to eventually come. It's Sony creating a problem for themselves when they should be creating a solution.
The claim that what reason is there to get a console doesn't seem to have any supporting evidence to it. PS5 exclusives as well as the console itself are selling more then ever, the PS5 is on track to overtake the PS4. Then we have these PC sales figures that clearly indicates there hasn't been this massive influx on players from consoles to boost sales numbers.

There simply is no evidence that the two year gap window is hurting PlayStation at all, gut feelings certainly don't count.

You seem to think there is this massive overlap between players that use PC as a primary platform and a console as a platform. There doesn't really appear to be though, oh sure you have those that own both to either play exclusives day one or like to play RTS games on PC but mostly play on console for example but it appears that is the minority. Most players pick one and stick to it and the reason players pick PC or console is that both offer quite a different experience from each other. PCMR types and console warrior are prevalent for a reason.

Basically my point is, somebody who is invested into PC, and has all there games and friends on PC can pick up a PS5 to play some exclusives day one, but a handful of games over a console generation is unlikely to cause them to switch to it as a primary platform. That is what Sony cares about really, by far most of the money Sony makes doesn't come from game sales but subscription services, GaaS, and microtransactions.

Sony clearly noticed this and decided to tap this market of those who refuse to switch and those that double dip.

What large influx of players? The console market has been mostly stagnant in growth since the early 2000s. As for investing in PlayStation, why did that not work for the PS4 generation? You had all these PlayStation exclusives but most PC players had little interest in switching to it as a primary platform. Steam grew massively during this period as well.

What opportunity cost? They have a dedicated porting studio now so the development studios are not affected. The porting costs are so low as well that even these small sales have made Sony over $300 million dollars profit so far.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think the fact that the PC port of R&C managed to pay for itself while the PS5 version ended up being a net financial loss for Sony speaks quite favorably for the continuation of their strategy. Like, seriously now, how exactly would they manage to produce a "couple new 1P AA games" with a total budget of a measly $2.5 million?
Think about what you just said… the quick port of something you already developed managed to pay back the port’s development costs… you are comparing that to the profitability of the game on PS5 which bears the brunt of the costs to actually develop the game… well, duh 😒

Fabieter

In Layden's own words:

He, too, seemed to grasp that the PC community represented an untapped market, an audience which by and large would never be interested in purchasing a console even if they had compelling exclusives.

Get your facts straight the 8m loss ox ratchet and clank was debunked. I like that people on the internet never check any sources. Nice bro.

Woopah

The cost of AA titles is expected to become $100 million. 1 PC port is not worth 2 AA titles.

In Layden's own words:

Ratchets did end up becoming profitable later on.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Think about what you just said… the quick port of something you already developed managed to pay back the port’s development costs… you are comparing that to the profitability of the game on PS5 which bears the brunt of the costs to actually develop the game… well, duh 😒

Yes. Now complete the thought. Why would Sony ever be opposed to approving PC ports when they cost a minuscule fraction of the original game's budget? What games could they possibly spend that money on instead that would guarantee better returns? 'Cause you sure as hell aren't pumping out two AA titles with just a couple million dollars like the other guy was implying.

Get your facts straight the 8m loss ox ratchet and clank was debunked. I like that people on the internet never check any sources. Nice bro.

Chill, bro, don't take this shit so personally. I was using this slide from the leak as my reference:

Kmzm2T9.jpeg

If this is doctored, nobody mentioned it in the thread it was posted to.

The cost of AA titles is expected to become $100 million. 1 PC port is not worth 2 AA titles.

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes. Now complete the thought. Why would Sony ever be opposed to approving PC ports when they cost a minuscule fraction of the original game's budget?
Sure, if they keep being developed after the console game is out with small teams on a ~2 years timescale yes. Then again they only cost that much because the base game is were everything was built for.

What games could they possibly spend that money on instead that would guarantee better returns? 'Cause you sure as hell aren't pumping out two AA titles with just a couple million dollars like the other guy was implying.
I think the AA vs AAA was not related to also releasing the games on PC, the example of AA games they quoted are again an example of the base game bearing the brunt of the investment that made the AA spin-off possible.

I think SONY is trying to bring more people to their franchises. Outside of PlayStation no one is hyped about these 3rd person action games. God of war did create some buzz but it's just a cinematic game. I can play soulslike all day but I could not play Spiderman or god of war for another 20-30hr. They are just plain boring for me.

Didn't Alan Wake just kinda sweep the VGAs? Why are there people excited for Hellblade 2? Hogwarts Legacy is the biggest-selling game of the year. Plague Tale 2: Requiem did pretty well. So did Star Wars: Jedi Survivor aside from the terrible bugs.

All the games I mentioned are multiplatform, and either did extremely well in sales and/or got lots of critical acclaim. So it's false to say that only people on PlayStation like 3rd person action/adventure 'cinematic' games. It may not be the biggest genre in terms of revenue or overall popularity, but lots of people like them. Most of them tend to have PlayStations tho because it's the one platform guaranteed to get virtually all of those types of games, kind of like with JRPGs as another example.

In Layden's own words:

That was back in 2019, before Sony had any actual data of their own to work with. Also Layden's goals were to convince primarily PC gamers to consider picking up a console; that quote doesn't contradict this.

Think about it: if a PC-centric gamer was never interested in buying the console even for its exclusives, then it's very likely they simply are not interested in those games. Certainly not enough to pay full price, likely not enough to play them ASAP, either. But those PC gamers ARE interested in various 3P games that are also on PlayStation...that Sony gets a 30% cut of from sales on their platform, not PC. And they also have people who DO like PlayStation exclusives enough to buy a console to play them, but wouldn't have any issue shifting their spending money to PC if Sony gave them a reason to do so.

It's a losing strategy, really, and now we've got some leaked sales data to back it up. Sony's risking turning console-first gamers into PC-first gamers, sell less copies of their games on the console, likely not make up that difference in PC sales, make less revenue and less profit on the PC versions of those games, and lose out on significant chunks of 3P sales, DLC, MTX revenue from people now shifting that to PC/Steam. It is not a sustainable strategy for a company that heavily relies on console gaming as one of their main pillars, and has little vested interests in the PC space.

This is incorrect and the idea it lost $8 million on PS5 was already debunked.

The claim that what reason is there to get a console doesn't seem to have any supporting evidence to it. PS5 exclusives as well as the console itself are selling more then ever, the PS5 is on track to overtake the PS4. Then we have these PC sales figures that clearly indicates there hasn't been this massive influx on players from consoles to boost sales numbers.

There simply is no evidence that the two year gap window is hurting PlayStation at all, gut feelings certainly don't count.

That evidence would take longer than a couple of years to show up, for a brand like PlayStation. Even for Xbox, their Day 1 PC strategy didn't immediately start showing negative results for the console, that took a period of years and was also compounded by generally poor upper management at the division. That's all part of the reason Xbox Series has been in such steep decline; it's not just paying for its own mistakes, but also the mistakes of the XBO and the last years of the 360. Kind of like how the Dreamcast was ultimately paying for the mistakes of the 32X and Saturn, plus a few smaller mistakes of its own.

There doesn't have to be a large shift in console sales to PC sales to directly correlate a cause and effect relationship. At this point, there are going to be more casuals and mainstream buying PS5 consoles, and you'll get an influx of core enthusiasts LTTP buying plus those who decide to pick up the Pro. It's the general sales and revenue of 1P releases on the console which should be looked at and, so far, that still seems good. If anything it was putting HFW in PS+ too soon that chopped off some of that game's legs if anything, but now with the PC port coming I can imagine that is suppressing some sales of the PS5 version, by people who are choosing to wait for the PC port.

But between CD Keys and Sony paying Valve a 30% cut each copy sold, HFW on PC will inevitably generate notably less revenue and profit for Sony than it did at launch for the PS4 & PS5. And we're going to see what the sales look like long-term on it too, to see if they're a jump up from other games released the past few months, or continue what seems like a slowing sales trend.

You seem to think there is this massive overlap between players that use PC as a primary platform and a console as a platform. There doesn't really appear to be though, oh sure you have those that own both to either play exclusives day one or like to play RTS games on PC but mostly play on console for example but it appears that is the minority. Most players pick one and stick to it and the reason players pick PC or console is that both offer quite a different experience from each other. PCMR types and console warrior are prevalent for a reason.

There is. PC and console share roughly 90% of the same 3P software library among AAA and AA titles. They share all of Microsoft's 1P titles, and a growing number of Sony's 1P titles. Pc also has actual exclusives not on the consoles like LoL, VALORANT, Counterstrike 2, and tons of indie and some AA releases, fangames etc. There are a lot of PC/PS owners who primarily play and spend on PC/Steam and use their PS consoles significantly less, mainly for exclusives.

As more games than ever keep releasing, and F2P/GaaS titles take up more of people's time, those same types of gamers are having more and more patience to just wait for the PC version of those Sony games, so now their consoles are getting used even less. And who says they buy those games Day 1 once they finally get to PC? They may just wait further out, some may never pick them, because they get too absorbed into other games on PC/Steam. Many may just wait for deep sales before picking it up, meaning far less revenue and profit for those copies sold.

For PC a lot of the 'experiences' you're talking about are, in addition to the exclusive games, things like open modding support, fan games, having all-encompassing setup for gaming/video production/streaming/chat/productivity/multimedia etc., full KB/M support, those types of things. But if there wasn't a large customer crossover between console and PC, why are all these 3P companies increasing supporting bringing their games to PC/Steam?

I think those efforts alone show proof of the overlap.

Basically my point is, somebody who is invested into PC, and has all there games and friends on PC can pick up a PS5 to play some exclusives day one, but a handful of games over a console generation is unlikely to cause them to switch to it as a primary platform. That is what Sony cares about really, by far most of the money Sony makes doesn't come from game sales but subscription services, GaaS, and microtransactions.

Sony clearly noticed this and decided to tap this market of those who refuse to switch and those that double dip.

They "refuse to switch" because the consoles they switched from in the first place aren't giving compelling enough reasons to "switch". And I'm not really even talking about switching, but getting those players to prioritize time and money on the console more. That doesn't mean they give up gaming on PC, these things are not mutually exclusive.

That's partially why at least IMO, Sony continuing to bring their games (traditional) to PC in smaller windows or maybe even Day 1 potentially, is them basically ceding, and admitting they can't provide value competitive enough towards platforms like Steam. Which would be quite something because platforms like Steam are basically what PlayStation used to be in the PS1 & PS2 generations. Had Sony found a way to retain that while bolstering their 1P the way they have, we genuinely wouldn't be having this discussion today.

What large influx of players? The console market has been mostly stagnant in growth since the early 2000s. As for investing in PlayStation, why did that not work for the PS4 generation? You had all these PlayStation exclusives but most PC players had little interest in switching to it as a primary platform. Steam grew massively during this period as well.

Steam grew massively mainly because of bleed from Xbox and Nintendo, although Nintendo managed to reverse theirs with the Switch. And, again, you're looking at this as mutually exclusive things; Steam (which doesn't require money to set up an account) can grow while the consoles continue to grow, either in users or ARPU increases across the board from those in the market.

Also you kind of admit yourself that this isn't about mutual exclusivity, when you say that PC gamers (in your opinion) didn't switch to PS4 as a primary platform. How do you know they didn't? Just because Steam saw growth as well? PS4 did technically grow its gen, when compared to the PS3.

What opportunity cost? They have a dedicated porting studio now so the development studios are not affected. The porting costs are so low as well that even these small sales have made Sony over $300 million dollars profit so far.

The opportunity cost, is the risk of informing (directly or indirectly) to high-ARPU core enthusiasts on the console that ports to PC will become a regular thing, with shorter windows or even Day 1 availability. Which then may make some of those customers shift a majority of their time and money to PC instead of console. It could also lead them to not consider buying new console hardware, such as a PS5 Pro or PS6, if they figure PC can be a suitable one-stop shop for all their games.

Keep in mind, Xbox is already seeing all these problems, and a lot of growth on Steam the past few years came from Xbox players who saw Steam as a superior alternative. But a lot of those Xbox players (now primarily PC players) were also PlayStation owners and might still have PlayStations for purposes like playing the exclusives. So if Sony continue to prioritize, or accelerate, ports of traditional games to PC, then those same people may also decide to not buy PlayStation systems in the future as they'd see no need.

That is the big 'opportunity cost' and it's something to seriously consider.

Rachet was profitable on PS5 as well as on PC.

Maybe the higher-end AA games will reach budgets of $100 million, but there is a gamut to this, there are levels. I strongly doubt games like Stray or Kena were $100 million and they are rather high-polished AA style of games.

It really comes down a lot of times to scope and other expenses like what type of writers you're hiring, VA talent, etc. Big names command big paychecks.

Woopah

Didn't Alan Wake just kinda sweep the VGAs? Why are there people excited for Hellblade 2? Hogwarts Legacy is the biggest-selling game of the year. Plague Tale 2: Requiem did pretty well. So did Star Wars: Jedi Survivor aside from the terrible bugs.

All the games I mentioned are multiplatform, and either did extremely well in sales and/or got lots of critical acclaim. So it's false to say that only people on PlayStation like 3rd person action/adventure 'cinematic' games. It may not be the biggest genre in terms of revenue or overall popularity, but lots of people like them. Most of them tend to have PlayStations tho because it's the one platform guaranteed to get virtually all of those types of games, kind of like with JRPGs as another example.

That was back in 2019, before Sony had any actual data of their own to work with. Also Layden's goals were to convince primarily PC gamers to consider picking up a console; that quote doesn't contradict this.

Think about it: if a PC-centric gamer was never interested in buying the console even for its exclusives, then it's very likely they simply are not interested in those games. Certainly not enough to pay full price, likely not enough to play them ASAP, either. But those PC gamers ARE interested in various 3P games that are also on PlayStation...that Sony gets a 30% cut of from sales on their platform, not PC. And they also have people who DO like PlayStation exclusives enough to buy a console to play them, but wouldn't have any issue shifting their spending money to PC if Sony gave them a reason to do so.

It's a losing strategy, really, and now we've got some leaked sales data to back it up. Sony's risking turning console-first gamers into PC-first gamers, sell less copies of their games on the console, likely not make up that difference in PC sales, make less revenue and less profit on the PC versions of those games, and lose out on significant chunks of 3P sales, DLC, MTX revenue from people now shifting that to PC/Steam. It is not a sustainable strategy for a company that heavily relies on console gaming as one of their main pillars, and has little vested interests in the PC space.

That evidence would take longer than a couple of years to show up, for a brand like PlayStation. Even for Xbox, their Day 1 PC strategy didn't immediately start showing negative results for the console, that took a period of years and was also compounded by generally poor upper management at the division. That's all part of the reason Xbox Series has been in such steep decline; it's not just paying for its own mistakes, but also the mistakes of the XBO and the last years of the 360. Kind of like how the Dreamcast was ultimately paying for the mistakes of the 32X and Saturn, plus a few smaller mistakes of its own.

There doesn't have to be a large shift in console sales to PC sales to directly correlate a cause and effect relationship. At this point, there are going to be more casuals and mainstream buying PS5 consoles, and you'll get an influx of core enthusiasts LTTP buying plus those who decide to pick up the Pro. It's the general sales and revenue of 1P releases on the console which should be looked at and, so far, that still seems good. If anything it was putting HFW in PS+ too soon that chopped off some of that game's legs if anything, but now with the PC port coming I can imagine that is suppressing some sales of the PS5 version, by people who are choosing to wait for the PC port.

But between CD Keys and Sony paying Valve a 30% cut each copy sold, HFW on PC will inevitably generate notably less revenue and profit for Sony than it did at launch for the PS4 & PS5. And we're going to see what the sales look like long-term on it too, to see if they're a jump up from other games released the past few months, or continue what seems like a slowing sales trend.

There is. PC and console share roughly 90% of the same 3P software library among AAA and AA titles. They share all of Microsoft's 1P titles, and a growing number of Sony's 1P titles. Pc also has actual exclusives not on the consoles like LoL, VALORANT, Counterstrike 2, and tons of indie and some AA releases, fangames etc. There are a lot of PC/PS owners who primarily play and spend on PC/Steam and use their PS consoles significantly less, mainly for exclusives.

As more games than ever keep releasing, and F2P/GaaS titles take up more of people's time, those same types of gamers are having more and more patience to just wait for the PC version of those Sony games, so now their consoles are getting used even less. And who says they buy those games Day 1 once they finally get to PC? They may just wait further out, some may never pick them, because they get too absorbed into other games on PC/Steam. Many may just wait for deep sales before picking it up, meaning far less revenue and profit for those copies sold.

For PC a lot of the 'experiences' you're talking about are, in addition to the exclusive games, things like open modding support, fan games, having all-encompassing setup for gaming/video production/streaming/chat/productivity/multimedia etc., full KB/M support, those types of things. But if there wasn't a large customer crossover between console and PC, why are all these 3P companies increasing supporting bringing their games to PC/Steam?

I think those efforts alone show proof of the overlap.

They "refuse to switch" because the consoles they switched from in the first place aren't giving compelling enough reasons to "switch". And I'm not really even talking about switching, but getting those players to prioritize time and money on the console more. That doesn't mean they give up gaming on PC, these things are not mutually exclusive.

That's partially why at least IMO, Sony continuing to bring their games (traditional) to PC in smaller windows or maybe even Day 1 potentially, is them basically ceding, and admitting they can't provide value competitive enough towards platforms like Steam. Which would be quite something because platforms like Steam are basically what PlayStation used to be in the PS1 & PS2 generations. Had Sony found a way to retain that while bolstering their 1P the way they have, we genuinely wouldn't be having this discussion today.

Steam grew massively mainly because of bleed from Xbox and Nintendo, although Nintendo managed to reverse theirs with the Switch. And, again, you're looking at this as mutually exclusive things; Steam (which doesn't require money to set up an account) can grow while the consoles continue to grow, either in users or ARPU increases across the board from those in the market.

Also you kind of admit yourself that this isn't about mutual exclusivity, when you say that PC gamers (in your opinion) didn't switch to PS4 as a primary platform. How do you know they didn't? Just because Steam saw growth as well? PS4 did technically grow its gen, when compared to the PS3.

The opportunity cost, is the risk of informing (directly or indirectly) to high-ARPU core enthusiasts on the console that ports to PC will become a regular thing, with shorter windows or even Day 1 availability. Which then may make some of those customers shift a majority of their time and money to PC instead of console. It could also lead them to not consider buying new console hardware, such as a PS5 Pro or PS6, if they figure PC can be a suitable one-stop shop for all their games.

Keep in mind, Xbox is already seeing all these problems, and a lot of growth on Steam the past few years came from Xbox players who saw Steam as a superior alternative. But a lot of those Xbox players (now primarily PC players) were also PlayStation owners and might still have PlayStations for purposes like playing the exclusives. So if Sony continue to prioritize, or accelerate, ports of traditional games to PC, then those same people may also decide to not buy PlayStation systems in the future as they'd see no need.

That is the big 'opportunity cost' and it's something to seriously consider.

Rachet was profitable on PS5 as well as on PC.

Maybe the higher-end AA games will reach budgets of $100 million, but there is a gamut to this, there are levels. I strongly doubt games like Stray or Kena were $100 million and they are rather high-polished AA style of games.

It really comes down a lot of times to scope and other expenses like what type of writers you're hiring, VA talent, etc. Big names command big paychecks.
I'd definitely put Stray or Kena in the A category. The type of AA game that will reach the $100 million budget is Miles Morales.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Do you have an interview or written statement to back this up? His words "we need to go to where they are [...] because they've decided not to come to my house, so I've got to go to their house now" seem pretty clear in their meaning to me, and I haven't come across any other sources where Sony state their strategy differently.

Outright false. Do you truly believe that the millions of Elden Ring players on PC aren't interested in playing Demon's Souls Remake or Bloodborne on their platform of choice? Did we all collectively hallucinate the 70,000+ strong petition that brought the console-exclusive Dark Souls to PC in 2012, a port that went on to sell nearly 3 million copies over time? It's not that PC players aren't interested in console games, it's that they don't care to spend a bunch of money on a system that's inferior to PC in freedom and options, modding, graphical capabilities, and so on.

Where? Where are the data that prove console games have sold fewer copies on their primary platform as a direct result of becoming available on PC years later? Which numbers precisely are you extrapolating this from?

Fine. I'm not sure if that leaked slide was somehow falsified or was simply outdated, but the point remains, the PC port of R&C more than paid for itself; and the idea that the $2.5 million Sony had invested in it would have somehow earned back more value if it had instead been diverted towards contributing to a 50 to 100-some million dollar AA game is laughable. The budget vs. sales data show these ports getting a ROI in the hundreds of percent, some close to 1000 percent.

Last edited:

Fabieter

This is 100% correct. Console gamers do switch to pc all the time. Look at gaf how often someone makes a thread with I have been a console gamer for all my life but I do my the jump now. Not a single one of my steamfriends started out on pc. Every single one started on one of the big three console over the decades.

As for me I really like consoles, I also buy loads of third party stuff on it, sometimes on pc sometimes on my switch but if the only benefit of consoles remaining is upfront costs than whats the point of buying into a new console? It's smart to go after mobile and cloud tho but the native experience should remain on Playstation. It will hurt them in the end.

I still think its massive missed opportunity to not have psn on pc. Fully integrated with ps plus native games. If they lose more and more gamers to pc those people will all be steam spenders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom