• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't PlayStation games successful on PC?

Should Sony abandon their PC initiative?

• Yes

• No

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogbert

A lot of PC gamers will own a PS5 and Switch.

People are desperate for Zelda on PC because you would get an amazing performance boost. People would double dip.

There’s no incentive with PS5 games, short of mouse control.

It’s a much narrower market.

Vick

Yes, several PS ports had technical issues, but they have been improved a lot.

But the point is we are making is that you are wrong saying these ports are not a success. When in reality they are a huge success.
For example, Spider-man. It took an investment of 2.3 million US$, to get a profit of over 60 million. This is a 26 times return on investment.
In no industry, anywhere on the planet, would this be a failure.

Your premise that Playstation ports on PC are not successful is very wrong.

And even games like Returnal and Sackboy were probably profitable, because porting a game to PC, when it uses UE4 is a lot easier and cheaper.
Well, I still don't think they are.

Keep in mind I'm one of those considering 10M for TLOU Part II a colossal flop, because making profit doesn't equate being successful.
Wouldn't you agree the games should ideally sell much, much, much more than a little fraction of what they do on platforms with a smaller userbase? Considering especially they're costing PlayStation the only element that saved them during the 360 era, and huge portion of what make Nintendo as successful?

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Keep the games exclusive. Instead of wasting development time and resources on ports, focus on creating more exclusive, high quality content that give gamers an overwhelming desire to own a PS5.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Wow at the very biased poll options.
Maybe if sony wouldn't fuck up their pc ports, people would buy them.

I also think the quality of Sony games this gen are extremely inflated.

Last edited:
Some of them maybe, Naughty Dog in particular however have been a complete shitshow on PC and the efforts to port their Engine on PC has been all but minimal. It effectly impacted their future approach on game development as a whole as well.

And for what, less than 500k copies and unlimited amount of memes/mocking all over the web?

This doesn't exactly seem to be the case though:

zfkdNQ0.png
BGuii62.png

DPYhFYV.png
hM0Tfyv.png

Are these PC ports by the competition orders of magnitude worse than the PS ones? Wasn't Gears 5 considered by DF as "One Of The All-Time Greatest PC Ports"?

According to Steam, when it comes to third person single player games, your statement "SHITTONS of games with 80-90% range of user reviews" doesn't really seem accurate. Looks like a really small percentage.
Gears 5 ran well, but the real issue was the skillcap for me in the multiplayer; Gears 4 was so much more competitive (the pro scene in this was criminally underrated). Singleplayer experience for both titles I wouldn’t know I have no interest in playing them.

Senua

The recent leaks just confirm what anyone who isn't a tit has been saying since day dot. It's very easy money with basically no drawbacks. They get a very loud backlash from a tiny minority of brand zealots who Sony doesn't actually give a fuck about and their profits continue to climb.

Only forum dwellers are insulted by the sales numbers, daddy Sony just see dollar signs

winjer

Gold Member
Well, I still don't think they are.

Keep in mind I'm one of those considering 10M for TLOU Part II a colossal flop, because making profit doesn't equate being successful.
Wouldn't you agree the games should ideally sell much, much, much more than a little fraction of what they do on platforms with a smaller userbase? Considering especially they're costing PlayStation the only element that saved them during the 360 era, and huge portion of what makes Nintendo as successful?

Whether you like it or not, the main metric for success for a product, is profit.

Of course a port of a port of a 3 year old game is never going to sell as many copies, as the original on the Playstation.
But when all it takes is a couple million dollars, to make more than 50 million in profits, then it's well worth the effort.
Such a return on investment is huge. And this is why Sony is doubling down on this strategy.

Just consider Callisto Protocol. A game that sold over 2 million units, more than some of these PS ports. But it cost 160 million dollars to make.
So it was a huge failure. Because profit is king.

Last edited:

tommib

Because they don't give us the games we actually want. Can any of you justify Returnal, Sackboy, or Ratchet & Clank getting a PC port before Demon's Souls.
Those are all excellent games.

Go play your scavenger Lethal Company, Apex Legends, Ready or Not and all the other free to play paraphernalia while you wait for the next Sony port you don’t want.

Senua

Go play your scavenger Lethal Company, Apex Legends, Ready or Not and all the other free to play paraphernalia while you wait for the next Sony port you don’t want.
You know it's all subjective right? So your high horse viewpoint just makes ya look like a bit of a wanker.

tusharngf

1. Full price games releasing after 2-3 years.
2. Very few people like cinematic type games on PC side
3. Those who wants to play these already owns consoles
4. BLOODBORNE remake is what expected from SONY.

Guilty_AI

Deep Rock Galactic > Risk of Rain 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>> Returnal

Zathalus

Literally the only people salty about this are PlayStation warriors who are mad PC gamers can play the games as well.

Smart PlayStation gamers realize that Sony making an extra billion dollars over a console generation means more money for Sony to invest into PlayStation, making it a better platform.

Kenpachii

The recent leaks painted a pretty underwelming picture for an initiative many would have considered, just a few years ago, impossibile, and that unquestionably transformed PlayStation as a brand to the eyes of many gamers.

q46edC8.png

It wouldn't be appropriate to call all of these releases flops, but I believe it would be fair to conclude most underperformed compared to expectations.
What would you identify as the main culprit behind these games not being nearly as successful as they were on PlayStation platforms? By far the most shared opinion in the other Thread was that those kind of games are overrated by PS fans and therefore not appreaciated by the more objective PC users, which is however something the slightest scrutiny reveals as pure platform warring of the lowest order:

KXgS9cV.png
sSOehgg.png

zkqX4lR.png
gPnPkf6.png

QwXszNC.png
aL8UnH4.png

nerYszm.png
Oir1LAR.png

As the games are very obviously appreciated by the audience, despite usually being underwhelming ports. What is the reason then?
Is it the full price? Is it the games being "old"? Is it the amount of piracy due to no DRM? The game requirements not meeting a considerable portion of the audience? An actual bias against PlayStation rooted in some PC gamers even?

On this last point, let's try to make sense of it all without falling into cheap warring.

1) to expensive.
2) no marketing.
3) way late to the party.
4) not the type of games pc gamers play in general.
5) underwhelming launches with many problems.
6) high requirement spec games.

U like any of these games or have interest in them u probably already own a playstation 5 and played them.

Last edited:

Senua

Love wanking, man. There’s nothing subjective about my top-tier wanking.
returnal-awakening.gif

Literally the only people salty about this are PlayStation warriors who are mad PC gamers can play the games as well.

Smart PlayStation gamers realize that Sony making an extra billion dollars over a console generation means more money for Sony to invest into PlayStation, making it a better platform.
It's like talking to brick walls lol

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Pretty much. Don't cut your nose to spite your face. PS on PC is good for PS.

Zathalus

Keep the games exclusive. Instead of wasting development time and resources on ports, focus on creating more exclusive, high quality content that give gamers an overwhelming desire to own a PS5.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+
No resources or development time is being wasted on ports going forward. Sony bought a top tier porting studio that is going to do the porting work for them, so the main studios just have to worry about developing the games.

Since the porting costs are so low, the ROI is extremely high allowing Sony to invest that money directly into creating more games. Which is what Sony gamers such as yourself want isn't it?

Bergoglio

Two reasons:

1. PC userbase does not idolize Playstation first parties like its fans. It's an audience of players with extremely varied tastes.

2. Generally, those who want to play PlayStation exclusives, they do it by purchasing a Playstation, not assembling a PC.

ClosBSAS

We dont really care for shit games like last of us and uncharted. Give us the triple a shit. Demons souls, ff16, spidernoob...wither way, the success is there.

This is what ppl in a gaming forum fail to realize. 2 MILLION DOLLAR BUDGET, to port the game, NOTHING! Moat of them are profitable already with some exceptions like returnal and ratchet and blank.

Vick

Whether you like it or not, the main metric for success for a product, is profit.

Of course a port of a port of a 3 year old game is never going to sell as many copies, as the original on the Playstation.
But when all it takes is a couple million dollars, to make more than 50 million in profits, then it's well worth the effort.
Such a return on investment is huge. And this is why Sony is doubling down on this strategy.

Just consider Callisto Protocol. A game that sold over 2 million units, more than some of these PS ports. But it cost 160 million dollars to make.
So it was a huge failure. Because profit is king.
I see your point, just let's not pretend this is "my" point of view now.

It's a widespread opinion these ports sales considered underwhelming.
But sure, they unquestionably bring some bucks of profit still.

Or:

I liked this post but only based on hopes and dreams.

I wish I could share your optimism about the bolded, and when you wish you had @SlimySnake optimism you know something's fucking wrong.

In Part I they finally added PCSS-like shadows, and better shadows were the only noticeable visual element in need for a serious upgrade.
They also used a really, really good DoF in Part I.. I think they simply took advantage of PS5 extra power to fix their weaknesses and are now satisfied about how their games can look and run, also at 60fps.
I mean Druckmann literally just said about Part I "At times I'm thinking -I can't believe what I'm playing-".. just shut the fuck up Neil, have you missed UE5 on PS5?

And then there's the major thing: Naughty Dog engine has been just ported to PC after more than a decade. And we know it must have been a nightmare (partially confirmed by the consistent delay of the Legacy of Thieves collection), I can easily see them keep using it for the rest of the Gen. Especially considering the need for PC ports this time which is something they'll 100% keep in mind when designing new games.

A new Engine made specifically for the PS5 using "fancy tech like Lumens, nanite and ray tracing", later to be ported all over again on PC? I just don't see it at all.
And that's the same for every single Sony First Party with engines just landed on PC.
That's the main reason I haven't been over the moon about all this PC support, not because of the retarded "You just don't want others to enjoy the toys you enjoy" which if anything has been a blessing to read less salty trolling and constant downplaying of masterpieces by sad individuals, but because Sony focus on PC instead of a single, custom machine with single specs would have obviously led to this scenario.

I don't know, I hope I'm wrong of course. But not a single PS5 "exclusive" managed to impress me as much as launch or close to launch PS4 exclusives. Those were the best available at the time and then some, and that's not the case this time because we know more can be achieved on Cerny's machine.

There's actually a different kind of consequences directly impacting the software.

PS on PC is good for PS.
Again, good for Sony maybe (not even sure all things considered), for sure not for PS hardware owners deprived of complete closed architecture optimization/devotion.
But I'm sure some will find a way to disprove exclusive optimization have been a thing for decades.

Guilty_AI

I didn’t write that. I was exposing some people’s hate boner for my baby Returnal which is god’s greatest gift to humanity.
I don't hate it, among the ps releases on PC its still among the few ones i'd buy.

But you have another thing coming if you think i'll worship this game as the second coming of christ. OR that i'll buy it at such a high price when there are other games which i'd find equally or more amusing.

Vick

Ok I mistook the context, my bad. I don't know what next gen feel is either lol.
Haptics™ and Adaptive Triggers™ obviously.

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

And 60fps. Something PC gamers only had access to for the last 3+ whole generations..

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Ok I mistook the context, my bad. I don't know what next gen feel is either lol.
Some context tommib tommib conveniently left out.

ade8tLd.png

So yeah, i was just going along what whatever who i was answering was saying. If none of the games he mentioned 'felt' next-gen, i don't see why it would be different from Returnal.

Unless this is some Haptics™ and Adaptive Triggers™ argument, in which cause i could only answer by rolling on the floor laughing.

Last edited:

tommib

Haptics™ and Adaptive Triggers™ obviously.

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

And 60fps. Something PC gamers only had access for the last 3+ generations..
I’ll agree with this. At the time, having a third person shooter with that particle orgy and fluid simulations at 60 fps was new (for a console). Also, 0 loading times.

Topher

Gold Member
Again, good for Sony maybe (not even sure all things considered), for sure not for PS hardware owners deprived of complete closed architecture optimization/devotion.
But I'm sure some will find a way to disprove exclusive optimization have been a thing for decades.

I haven't seen PC ports have any affect on PS games so far in that respect. I think this may be a reason why Sony doesn't release day one on PC. PS hardware is priority. And although I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, I can understand that being important for PS owners. And yeah, that first party optimization is a real thing, but as long as Sony's first party studios are free to focus on PS hardware and ports are handed off, I think ultimately this is a good thing for PS. I understand your concern though.

Zathalus

Or:

There's actually a different kind of consequences directly impacting the software.

I would have agreed with this in the past but Sony uses a standard x86 CPU and AMD GPU now. There is no more bespoke hardware to customize for, the only thing left is the I/O stack and that can be replicated on the PC side by just using the GPU to brute force it. Even the APIs are getting similar, with all of them having low level hardware access.

Nixxes is handling all the porting going forward so there is very little burden on the developers themselves as well.

Last edited:

Senua

I dont think people here realize how cheap it is to port these games.
There's a thread about it right here which is strangely (lol) very inactive

winjer

Gold Member
I see your point, just let's not pretend this is "my" point of view now.

I'm not saying this is your new point of view. I'm saying your original statement is wrong.
And a click bait article is not going to change the fact that the ROI is huge on most of these Sony ports.
Profit is the key metric, and in this regard, most of these Sony ports were a success.

Flutta

Banned
Why ask a question you already know the answer to.

When they start releasing their games day and date then you can ask this type of questions.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony’s not stopping, so they’re obviously happy with what they’re seeing.

All of the Spiderman games are coming as well as Wolverine too. Spiderman 3 actually looks like it could be day and date or shortly after.

That’s very unsettling for certain usual suspects whose identities are built around which plastic box they own.

Metnut

The vast majority of people who really want to play these games have a PS5 already. Also, PC gamers are known to be “frugal” when it comes to paying full price for games that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make. Maybe there’s not a lot of money left over after buying a 4090.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom