• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac's Narrative Director Discusses Lack Of LGBTQ Content in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikolino840

Kenney echoes this evidence by saying "There are so many LGBTQ developers, and we want what players want - to design experiences that tell the player we're here, we're important, and we belong." This could become increasingly difficult as we see more and more pitches turned down amid one of the worst years ever for gaming. However, Kenney remains adamant that something has to give way to allow change to happen.

"We need to pull every lever we have," Kenney says.

Vick

This could become increasingly difficult as we see more and more pitches turned down amid one of the worst years ever for gaming.
Proud Of You Yes GIF
Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Renaissance is coming. Hopefully.

Guilty_AI

There's little space for sexuality in games in the first place. Does Doom Guy prefer tanned tomboys or blondes with fat thighs? We don't know, and there's little reason for it to be known.

Whoever adds this stuff without meaningful context is just trying to satisfy some kink to begin with, which i'd be perfectly fine with if these people didn't try to disguise it with these holier-than-thou talks, as if they're doing some higher service to society.

FeralEcho

At this point just make the gayest GaaS game ever and keep updating it. Leave the rest alone.
Problem is no one will buy that shit and they fucking know it which is why they slowly infect known IPs basing the sales on people buying it off name alone....

Not even the actual lgbtq+ community want that shit,only these mentally challenged monkeys who spend all their time snuffing whatever drugs the purple place is snuffing everyday and treating their words as gospel.

The nerve on this person to say there's not enough representation of a minority of all things when this thing has crawled its way into every known ip known to man.

This narative director can fuck right off!

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

So, I'm bisexual, and this is not going to be a "pick me" comment, so anyone that is expecting that, I'm not gonna give it to you.
And also, I don't speak for LGBTQ people. Just one guy.

For once, I would like to go back to days of Mortal Kombat X, when Kung Jin was introduced, and the fact that he was gay wasn't like this huge deal? There weren't a billion articles written about how progressive Mortal Kombat/Warner/Netherrealm are (Like Baldur's Gate 3), there weren't a bunch of obnoxious "Horny = personality/funny" shit everywhere (Hades 2).

It was REALLY well made, well included, and everyone treated like it was normal.

Which is exactly what I want more of.

The next Dragon Quest game could have a trans-man and a trans-woman as party members, and not only will I be okay with it, I want other people to see it as such as well. I want it to be seen as normal.

That includes the writers and activists that obnoxiously grand stand and make a huge deal about these things being super huper mega important.

Please. Include LGBTQ people in your games. And PLEASE, shut the fuck up. Let your actions and your art speak louder then you.

Normalize these things. Don't put a bright-as-the-sun spotlight on it, and pat yourselves on the fucking back. And MAYBE, you will get somewhere.

Being obnoxious will get you nowhere.

Make a trans woman, put her in your game, and treat her like any other character in the game.

Done and done.

T4keD0wN

Interesting highlights from the article:
Gaming industry is worth more than film and music combined, Only 2% of games feature an openly LGBTQ+ character, in comparison with 28% of films released in 2022, and 11% of primetime TV characters in 2022 and 2023.
math-thinking.gif

Wonder what it could mean......

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Kenney echoes this evidence by saying "There are so many LGBTQ developers, and we want what players want - to design experiences that tell the player we're here, we're important, and we belong." This could become increasingly difficult as we see more and more pitches turned down amid one of the worst years ever for gaming. However, Kenney remains adamant that something has to give way to allow change to happen.

Who knew people across the globe were all begging to want LGBTQ characters allowed in video games.

>Only 2% of games feature an openly LGBTQ+ character, in comparison with 28% of films released in 2022, and 11% of primetime TV characters in 2022 and 2023. Surely it makes better sense for gaming studios to want to include the queer community into their games due to 1–5 players identifying as LGBTQ+, since, at the very least, the financial pull is there, so what is the issue here?

According to them 2% of games have openly LGBT characters and 20% of gamers identify as LGBT therefore 10 times as many games need to have LGBT in them than currently do.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wtf is wrong with Western gaming industry??? They are seriously more concerned with using games to advance political agendas than just making FUN games!

What the actual fuck?
This is the west in general. Hell, we still have retards that pop up around here to accuse anyone who dislikes [movie] or [game] as being a bigot because the movie/game has an LGBT character - completely ignoring any actual argument ongoing. Its all these types care about. Immutable characteristics are the only thing that is important to them and the hierarchy of victim-hood and oppression.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom