• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac's Narrative Director Discusses Lack Of LGBTQ Content in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What if - and I know this is a stretch - being gay isn't important for a lot of games.

There's nothing wrong with representation, but the approach that Insomniac and the rest of their cult take is insulting and, frankly, detrimental to any "marginalized" group being taken seriously.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
*Blizzard entered the chat*
Blizzard: "Please check out our digital comic to see Tracers bisexual awakening"

Multiplayer gamers:
goodfellas-henry-hill.gif

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
There is a famous gay scene with 2 guys here

tiwevvmc2dp51.jpg

I got to wonder if gay people or trans people are crying about not enough representation. Seriously Gay and trans people make up less than 5% of the population but have to be represented in 95% of everything. Woke garbage from this director.

That’s just stupid, we see already representations which are higher than in reality.

Regardless, they want to make content especially towards an audience, which are perhaps 20% of people. Not a good business plan…

mystech

The thing these people seem to not understand is that FORCED representation is in some ways worse than having no representation. This is why the whole Sweet Baby inc fiasco was such a big deal. (Some) People are finally seeing through the BS. These companies don’t give AF about minority representation or LGBTQ+… they DO care about profits.

So at the end of the day what’s worse? Having no gay characters because they simply don’t fit into the story… or having a bunch of gay characters that are forced into the story with the sole intention of trying to profit off of the LGBTQ market? As a black guy I have far less of an issue playing a bunch of games where there’s no black characters compared to a game that obviously forces a black main character just to be “more appealing to a black audience”.

They call themselves “Woke” but from the outside in they sure do seem asleep as they aimlessly follow along with whatever agenda the big corporations tell them to get passionate about… Every February the big corporations act like they care about black people. Every June they add their rainbow flags to their profile. It’s a big charade.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Disgusting that they are asking for even more propaganda of a sexual nature to be pushed on a medium that is aimed primarily at kids and teens.

Honestly I have zero confidence in any LBGT person who works in a creative position these days, be it in games, movies or TV. They seem to almost always only focus on how they can promote the LGBT message and agenda and not on creating quality content.

Barakov

Gold Member
They keep on trying to push this stuff and I keep on refusing to buy it. It seems like most people don't like it either given it's hard to get it greenlit. I guess more than few a higher ups have seen the numbers and realized a lot of people aren't into it.

Fbh

To some extent I guess I'm happy Insomniac was basically turned into a Marvel games factory for the next 10+ years.
I'm sure their writers would probably make Spiderman gay if they could, but since they don't own the character their hands are tied and I bet even Disney would be hesitant of such a move in such a large scale project.
If they got to make more original content with full creative control their writing and characters would probably be even more insufferable.

>Only 2% of games feature an openly LGBTQ+ character, in comparison with 28% of films released in 2022, and 11% of primetime TV characters in 2022 and 2023. Surely it makes better sense for gaming studios to want to include the queer community into their games due to 1–5 players identifying as LGBTQ+, since, at the very least, the financial pull is there, so what is the issue here?

According to them 2% of games have openly LGBT characters and 20% of gamers identify as LGBT therefore 10 times as many games need to have LGBT in them than currently do.

The only 2% statistic seems like BS to me.
Maybe it's 2% if you count every single game that releases, including all those crappy shovelware games releasing on Steam every day. But if you look at proper medium and big releases with at least some marketing and notoriety behind them it's quite a different story.

Sony alone has LGBT women as the main characters in 2 of their biggest ongoing franchises, and games like Spiderman 2 are filled with them although not in a leading role (probably for the reason mentioned above)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The issue isn’t even they have gay characters, Yoko Taro puts gay characters in his games since original Drakengard.

The difference is he actually make compelling story with interesting characters meanwhile these guys makes shitty ass characters and tells us we have to like these characters “just because they are gay” and if you don’t you are homophobic.

Last edited:

peish

Gold Member
western woke culture is strange. lgbtq+ comes down to sexuality, no?

yet they take outrage at the stellar blade MC designs? outraged at rivet boobs?

i bet if the korean dev made the MC a trans with a dick and have a back story about how oppressed he was during his teen years, but grew up to be her own self, and chose to dress sexy to make an expression for trans people in stellar blade game world. throw in some lgbtq+ scenes...

betchya you western woke will lap up stellar blade.

IAmRei

In most games sexuality is not a thing, so hetero or gay doesn't matter. This concern for everything being sexual or racial is a mental condition. Such a shame that a great studio like Insomniac might go down the drain only because their focus isn't on being profitable, the only thing that matters.
They forgot if they are supposed to make profit

To some extent I guess I'm happy Insomniac was basically turned into a Marvel games factory for the next 10+ years.
I'm sure their writers would probably make Spiderman gay if they could, but since they don't own the character their hands are tied and I bet even Disney would be hesitant of such a move in such a large scale project.
If they got to make more original content with full creative control their writing and characters would probably be even more insufferable.

The only 2% statistic seems like BS to me.
Maybe it's 2% if you count every single game that releases, including all those crappy shovelware games releasing on Steam every day. But if you look at proper medium and big releases with at least some marketing and notoriety behind them it's quite a different story.

Sony alone has LGBT women as the main characters in 2 of their biggest ongoing franchises, and games like Spiderman 2 are filled with them although not in a leading role (probably for the reason mentioned above)
Yeap they're probably counting most games if not all.

Dazraell

Gold Member
If he thinks storytelling is about shoving in personal agendas just for a sake of inclusion, he shouldn't have a position of a narrative director in a first place

Roberts

I totally wouldn't mind a crazy Almodovar or John Waters style gay game and there are not a lot of those, but to say there is a lack of LGBTQ content in games is kind of wild - it is just not true.

hinch7

More like way over-represented. Most gamers (or people for that matter) aren't LGBTQ and those that are don't care for this. Spider-Man 2 was really distasteful with how they approached this.. acting like people are akin to a checkbox need checking. Instead of letting thing come naturally, massive tech companies are letting narcissistic people like this run away with leading a studio, using it as a tool to push their ideologies onto others.

No thanks, you can keep it Insomniac if their next game is like their previous one.

Last edited:
Lgbg in young people nowadays is mostly imo social contagion. Being trans is like being emo 10+ years ago. It's trendy. I can't wait for the aftermath 5-10 years down the line, though. When people will realise they cut off their dicks/altered their bodies for what? 5 minutes of feeling good from reddit crowd? XD

tommib

Gold Member
At this point just make the gayest GaaS game ever and keep updating it. Leave the rest alone.
You all cry like babies too when something vaguely similar happens: see Goodbye Volcano High - made by LGBT people for LGBT people and you all still had to be obsessed like idiots with meme creation and trolling threads.

We’re here, we’re queer and if you can’t stand us you can always move to Russia.

I'm gay, I don't see the point of making a character gay in a game unless it really works well with the story, the focus should never be "let's figure out a way to make a gay character work"

There are several games where you can choose who you want to romance and I think that's just fine but unless the persons love interest is directly tied to the story somehow there is no real reason to try to make it known that the person is gay or straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom