• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac's Narrative Director Discusses Lack Of LGBTQ Content in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdkirby

Wolverine is problematic because he's inherently anti trans. It just keeps growing back.
True but he really enjoys penetrating guys with 8 inch thrusts.

As a side note, there’s nothing wrong with the occasional gay character in games, but based on Spider-Man, insomniac are super shit at implementing DEI stuff. They ram it down people’s throats, and make the diverse component the main focus of the character; something their own guidelines say not to do.

They have a gay character…but they don’t just treat him like a normal person and have a normal story you would expect in a superhero/villain universe that has nothing to do with his gender identity; nope, they instead make the whole supporting narrative about him putting on an overly camp proposal to his boyfriend to go to the prom with him 🤦‍♂️.

They did the same repeatedly with any of their DEI storytelling. Hilariously in their leaked training video their Asian representation consultant explicitly said something akin to

“if you have an Asian guy, do not make them a stereotypical overweight, awkward comedic nerd, like Ganke”

…so they must be self aware that what they are doing is wrong and destructive, because their own consultants are telling them that. Or they just discount that input because Asians are “white adjacent” and they don’t care about them or their advice 🤷‍♂️

Hudo

I also know someone at work who is gay but doesn't seem like it all all. Then I know another person who is gay but has some feminine qualities to him but otherwise he looks completely normal. Then there's me where I feel most comfortable in my feminine clothes but otherwise I don't try and shove my trans femininity into others faces.

Some are more visible than others due to the way they dress or their personality traits. But no one I know tries to make it their mission to shove that into everyone's faces and into every media.
Yeah. I have the feelign that the writers who actually write these LGBTQ characters have never once spoken to real LGBTQ people. Most of them are normal-ass human beings. It's like writing a black character that only speaks Ghetto and listens to Gangsta rap.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yeah. I have the feelign that the writers who actually write these LGBTQ characters have never once spoken to real LGBTQ people. Most of them are normal-ass human beings. It's like writing a black character that only speaks Ghetto and listens to Gangsta rap.
There was a transgender character in Mass Effect Andromeda and during conversation they end up deadnaming themselves.

Trans people were so upset that BioWare had to patch it so the character doesn't do that.

I know. Sometimes I think they went to Thailand saw a lady boy show and thought " Well this is what trans people are like".

It really pains me when they turn us into objects to include in some sort of checklist. We are people and we suffer from struggles such as gender dysforia. It's fine to tell our stories but we are not some sort of entertainment item. If only they were in my shoes they could understand how painful it is to be me sometimes. I had to come out of the closet because hiding was literally destroying my life.

Dr. Suchong

I'll never understand why some people think it's so important for others to be recognised for their preferred genitalia.
To me, my sexuality is the least important aspect of myself.
I (or at least I aspire to) let my words and actions mould me into something I can look at in the mirror in the morning and think I'm doing ok at being at decent human being.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
"Fuck good storytelling. We'll go to any lenght to shoehorn dissonance into our stories to prioritize political activism over suspension of disbelief "

Radical_3d

Who was the gay podcaster?
Danika Hart uses non binary pronouns to refer to herself. Got pretty viral in Spain since a famous streamer deactivated in the middle of the stream (no ill intentions but maybe not the most sensible option if you are a public figure).

There was a transgender character in Mass Effect Andromeda and during conversation they end up deadnaming themselves.

Trans people were so upset that BioWare had to patch it so the character doesn't do that.

I understand why they might be upset. Ly old name represents a life where I suffered a lot. Which is why I'm changing it to suit my gender identity better.

But it wouldn't bother me to see something like that in a video game. After all it's just a game and things like that can happen to others in my community. It's like why I don't slap people in the face when they call me Sir. I know they are just being respectful to me and call me Sir based on my appearance. Most of the time they are completely fine when I tell them that I'm not one. I'm slowly learning how to be around people after living in isolation for so long. It's better for me to be flexible as I go though this.

cormack12

Gold Member
Danika Hart uses non binary pronouns to refer to herself. Got pretty viral in Spain since a famous streamer deactivated in the middle of the stream (no ill intentions but maybe not the most sensible option if you are a public figure).
I don't think she is gay though is she? Isn't she noshing off Gank?

But anyway, pushback of Danika was because she was already disliked from MM which was blatantly over the top in its agenda. Plus it marginalised characters the fans actually liked (JJ, Gank).

Ultimately though she was disliked in MM not because of her pronouns or sexuality, because her podcast was just shit. It was the only thing players could turn off in the game so would be disproportionately affected. It became more high profile because the audience of SM2 was much higher, so you had the perfect storm of players who skipped MM having the same same reaction as they did to her, and the players of MM who didn't want her to return really pissed off.

Although hands up, there are probably people who just reacted to her uninspired, bankrupt design - just like they did with Saints Row reveal.

Schmendrick

Gotta thank this dude for remarks like this.
Now I now that Spiderman 2 was/will not be a one off thing and that I can just continue to ignore the studio and their games altogether.
These nutjobs lose all power the moment they lose their employers money.

So just stop buying this crap! Buying and then complaining about it afterwards makes no difference.

Last edited:

Woopah

Why is there such a strong negative reaction to LGBT characters? There's nothing wrong with video game characters having a sexuality.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I understand why they might be upset. Ly old name represents a life where I suffered a lot. Which is why I'm changing it to suit my gender identity better.

But it wouldn't bother me to see something like that in a video game. After all it's just a game and things like that can happen to others in my community. It's like why I don't slap people in the face when they call me Sir. I know they are just being respectful to me and call me Sir based on my appearance. Most of the time they are completely fine when I tell them that I'm not one. I'm slowly learning how to be around people after living in isolation for so long. It's better for me to be flexible as I go though this.
My roommate who moved in a couple months ago is transgender.

Fortunately I've had some knowledge thanks to Twitter for the last few years so I was able to understand more about it.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I don't think she is gay though is she? Isn't she noshing off Gank?
Gay was the old broarder term for LTGBQ people before they decided they needed letters instead of a proper word. But I’m old fashioned. If she refers herself with non binary pronouns that’s not conventional, put the letter that you want for her.
Why is there such a strong negative reaction to LGBT characters? There's nothing wrong with video game characters having a sexuality.
When there was the great split of forums both got polarised. While I find GAF less mental than the counterpart, that doesn't mean this isn’t an internet forum: madness is not optional.

Buggy Loop

So what's the answer?

Don’t pull all the levers?

You know, have it feel organic that there’s LGBT peoples in without a huge pointing arrow and a spotlight on it for the story? Or disproportionate representation? Even the fringe % is valid for USA only, worldwide it plummets into a crater, so playing American studio games lately and it’s jarring. Putting an highlight on their sexuality in a video game where I can’t think of anything worthwhile for knowing this in most genres I play?

It’s all a checkbox ✅ for DEI investments and its so blatant

It’s the new “Hi, I’m VEGAN”. Clinging to a singular thing as their whole identity. They can’t help themselves to not mention it every 5 minutes. They have the same energy also into trying to outcompete each others to feel they are way beyond the realm of normies. Same vibe. As annoying.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

How badly can you disable them? Game sounds darker than part 1.
8rknje.jpg

Woopah

An overwhelming majority of people don't hate anyone's sexuality (or skin color) , people just hate the patronizing nature of shoehorning, activism and indoctrination.
How would you guide developers on including LGBT people in video games in a way that is not shoehorning, activism and indoctrination?

PeteBull

U can tell by this interview how much of a bubble this woke shits are in, whole world is over 8bilion ppl, and at max i bet if u count all woke tards its not even 500m, likely even less, they dont buy games too, not counting woke journos, they review/play 4 free anyways :D

tommib

Gold Member
“if” all people on the planet were gay… you just choose what you want to read and rip it out of context. Well done, you played yourself.

I understand that you can not handle any kind of valid logic or criticism and the thing is, neither can those people that are being discussed about in this topic.

This is why people turn their backs on any kind of DEI content, because for you and those other activists it’s not just about being normally represented. It needs to be over the top, to the extreme, and then 2 steps further.

And there’s no normal discussion to be had before you get blamed for things you didn’t do or say because you activists take everything out of context to try and make things sound like you think it should sound.

Just like you did in your post I’m replying to. You’re trying to ridicule me, about a topic you just made up yourself.
I’m not an activist but that’s an extremely revealing “accusation”. Anyone doing anything that pushes back just a little bit on the anti-woke brain rot in this forum is automatically an activist™️. There’s indeed no conversation to be had here.

Anyway, vote with your wallet.

Last edited:

Vick

You mean everywhere outside your 8chan OP threads. Correct.
Actually, my dear friend, in vast majority of places outside your usual internet channels and social media I'm afraid.

First 30 seconds of this last video are a fucking masterpiece btw.

Not trying to suggest this is optimal, at all, but I can assure you vast majority of regular people don't really care. In fact they only start caring, in a negative way, because of the ridiculous way it's being handled. And it ain't happening by chance, it's by design.

You should read about G.A.Y. Alan Touring who shaped our technological modern society (and was also critical to defeat the Nazis) and who ended up chemically castrated, killing himself shortly after.
Thanks for sharing, never heard of it. That's appalling.

Last edited:
Last time I checked less than 20% of people fall within the umbrella, but watching something current from Hollywood, you get the impression it’s more like 50% or even worse straight people are the minority.

EDMIX

I agree.

Issue is, many who even argue against "shoehorning, activism and indoctrination" would just argue this is it anyway.

You really can't do shit with folks like this. Its like, people like this exist in real life, why would they not exist in those worlds as characters, random NPC etc?

Would be like saying a fat person in a game is "shoehorning, activism and indoctrination" lol

Characters should be allowed to just exist in a fucking game without any artist or developer having to prove or argue they naturally exist in that world

Banjo64

cumsessed
I can’t believe Sony Japan doesn’t put a muzzle on their studios and put an end to this political activism however I can only imagine that whilst the numbers look good on their spreadsheets they don’t care. The issue with that mindset is once the damage has been done over a long period, you can’t just flick a switch to reverse it. In my opinion ND, SM and Insomniac have all gone from A tier studios to C tier studios within a 10 year period, and the floor can only get lower. Everyone knew that moving HQ to America would be the long term death of the company we loved. What’s been born out of it is nothing more than a joke. Sorry Sony bros.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Disgusting that they are asking for even more propaganda of a sexual nature to be pushed on a medium that is aimed primarily at kids and teens.

It's working. The number of young people self-identifying as LGBTQ+ is at an absolute all-time high: 19.7%

3XQqLB5.jpeg

I think most of them who call themself LGBTQ+ only want to make themselves feel more special because somehow being white and straight is seen as a negative thing. Much cooler to call yourself queer, non binary or bisexual. You can claim to be oppressed and marginalized and still go on living your old familiar heterosexual life.

Bill Maher called it out and hit the bull's eye with this segment: the current crop of LGBT folks are only "along for the pride".

BTW I'm also part of the "LGBT community" and I'm sick of all the pandering. There's so much of it and it's getting so crazy that it's created a negative counter reaction that will lead to less respect for and acceptance of LGBT people. We've let the inmates rule the asylum for too long.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Could you please explain in text rather than images? Thanks.
I think those are good characters that happen to be gay. Bill not so much, it’s been blown by the background on the show, but in the game he’s just a sightly developed victim of the world. But Chloe is a genuine good written character whose sexuality is only relevant when the time comes (and for a teenage drama game, it isn’t as often as it is for real high schoolers).
Issue is, many who even argue against "shoehorning, activism and indoctrination" would just argue this is it anyway.
I agree, but I think that if only the extreme opinions are written the forum isolates itself. So I’m writing my bland middle of the ground opinion to cheer on whoever has a bland middle of the ground mind and not being put off by the all or nothing actitudes.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
How would you guide developers on including LGBT people in video games in a way that is not shoehorning, activism and indoctrination?

I think bigotry and racism are partly perpetuated by the persistent tendency to label people and things by "race" and "sexuality" when it doesn’t matter to the situation at hand. Do we need to have a good foundation for people to live in "harmony". Yes, and it has already been laid pretty well during the past decades. Will every single person on this planet ever be able to adopt a neutral "Bridgerton"-like mindset? Unlikely. Considering this, might the "LGBT" movement potentially compromise its goals by discarding valuable aspects along with the undesirable? Possibly. I think activism should take a step back now and let people in the west navigate these issues in everyday life on their own. And the activist should rather focus on how to bring some of the successful changes into authoritarian regimes and religious strongholds around the world. In my opinion this would be more valuable, and for a lot more people.

Anyway, let Morgan Freeman make the guide..

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
>Only 2% of games feature an openly LGBTQ+ character, in comparison with 28% of films released in 2022, and 11% of primetime TV characters in 2022 and 2023. Surely it makes better sense for gaming studios to want to include the queer community into their games due to 1–5 players identifying as LGBTQ+, since, at the very least, the financial pull is there, so what is the issue here?

According to them 2% of games have openly LGBT characters and 20% of gamers identify as LGBT therefore 10 times as many games need to have LGBT in them than currently do.
You just cant thrust their narrative and specially their numbers, they do the same bogey numbers when trying to measure female gamers, is completely untrustworthy.

And for that matter the movie industry having 28% is helping them how ? At failing? Hollywood has been seeing worst year after worst year.. Disney cant produce highly lucrative films anymore ... the public is pushing back...its tired of been pushed a reality that dosent exist.

This medias (games, movies etc) are not classes or group studies or a public forum of discussion, they are a product, every product has target audiences, you should make them to sell as high as possible IF you wish to be as lucrative as possible, Im sorry to say but "representation" shouldn't be a thing in products that need to sell as highly as possible.

If you want to make something, be a movie or game, to appease the Lgbt community and sell your product specific to them thats fine and there is your representation, having one gay character in every movie/game made theoretically for another target group, just because, is not.

Moneal

See Goodbye Volcano High and other similar indie that you still troll into infinity for shit and giggles.
I never trolled Volcano High, because I didn't care enough about it. Its not made for me and I don't care that it isn't, not into the visual novel games. I complain about series and games that are made with me in mind with terrible writing and shoe horned token characters. Hell I even liked the way Hogwarts Legacy handled lgbt. Its trans character was one of the best trans character portrayals in gaming. Also loved the first Life is strange. Max and Chloe didn't feel forced or written poorly to me. Almost everyone in this thread has said they want well written characters and good stories. They don't care about the specific characteristics of the characters in them. Its when its ham fisted and obviously put in only for agenda or self insertion do most of the complainers have a problem.

tommib

Gold Member
I can’t believe Sony Japan doesn’t put a muzzle on their studios and put an end to this political activism however I can only imagine that whilst the numbers look good on their spreadsheets they don’t care. The issue with that mindset is once the damage has been done over a long period, you can’t just flick a switch to reverse it. In my opinion ND, SM and Insomniac have all gone from A tier studios to C tier studios within a 10 year period, and the floor can only get lower. Everyone knew that moving HQ to America would be the long term death of the company we loved. What’s been born out of it is nothing more than a joke. Sorry Sony bros.
This is true, Banjo. But not for the reasons you think, meaning woke. At least in my view. The move to La La Land transformed the quirky, gameplay focused, alternative, techno club scene addicted edgy Sony into a global Hollywood-like blockbuster factory that produces titles for audiences all over the world. They exchanged their own voice for the Marvel approach to their big titles. It’s profit, it’s shareholders, it’s too many cooks in the kitchen, it’s where we are.

Having said all this, we still can’t pretend that GT7, Stellar Blade, Returnal are not small glimpses of what Sony used to be. It’s still there but squashed by Marvel “put all resources into the most global product possible” mentality. Only time will tell for how long.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

When it hurts execs pockets they will realize how badly they are fucking up. Not until then.

Last time I checked less than 20% of people fall within the umbrella,

This is completely delusional. As somebody posted above, it's "trendy" among kids who later on will have mental issues and commit suicide, while the people who push these agendas wonder why that happened.

As for the "guide" for creators, decent writers don't need a guide to write characters different from their own persona. The very concept is insulting and wicked in its roots.

Radical_3d

This is true, Banjo. But not for the reasons you think, meaning woke. At least in my view. The move to La La Land transformed the quirky, gameplay focused, alternative, techno club scene addicted edgy Sony into a global Hollywood-like blockbuster factory that produces titles for audiences all over the world. They exchanged their own voice for the Marvel approach to their big titles. It’s profit, it’s shareholders, it’s too many cooks in the kitchen, it’s where we are.

Having said all this, we still can’t pretend that GT7, Stellar Blade, Returnal are not small glimpses of what Sony used to be. It’s still there but squashed by Marvel “put all resources into the most global product possible” mentality. Only time will tell for how long.
God, I misss Wipeout and Motorstorm. But with Hulst as the new CEO for the games I see no future but cinematic experiences and open world games :(

FewRope

So, I'm bisexual, and this is not going to be a "pick me" comment, so anyone that is expecting that, I'm not gonna give it to you.
And also, I don't speak for LGBTQ people. Just one guy.

For once, I would like to go back to days of Mortal Kombat X, when Kung Jin was introduced, and the fact that he was gay wasn't like this huge deal? There weren't a billion articles written about how progressive Mortal Kombat/Warner/Netherrealm are (Like Baldur's Gate 3), there weren't a bunch of obnoxious "Horny = personality/funny" shit everywhere (Hades 2).

It was REALLY well made, well included, and everyone treated like it was normal.

Which is exactly what I want more of.

The next Dragon Quest game could have a trans-man and a trans-woman as party members, and not only will I be okay with it, I want other people to see it as such as well. I want it to be seen as normal.

That includes the writers and activists that obnoxiously grand stand and make a huge deal about these things being super huper mega important.

Please. Include LGBTQ people in your games. And PLEASE, shut the fuck up. Let your actions and your art speak louder then you.

Normalize these things. Don't put a bright-as-the-sun spotlight on it, and pat yourselves on the fucking back. And MAYBE, you will get somewhere.

Being obnoxious will get you nowhere.

Make a trans woman, put her in your game, and treat her like any other character in the game.

Done and done.
Cyberpunk has a trans character and she is just another character, as it should be. You just learn to know she is and her quest is actually really good. Is not that difficult to add this things without trying to make it a crusade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom