• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac's Narrative Director Discusses Lack Of LGBTQ Content in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF

Jaybe

Gold Member
I thought her name was familiar. She was the one liking tweets that stated “you can’t be racist to white people”. She really went in the attack on behalf of Sweet Baby Inc after that company went after a Steam user for making a list of Sweet Baby games and tried to have him lose his entire Steam account. I see she dropped Wolverine from her Twitter bio. I skipped out buying the new Ratchet & Clank game when it was recently on sale. Don’t want to support Insomniac any more with people like her working there.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Show me a gay male lead on a video game besides Curtis in Phantasmagoria 2 (1996) who was bisexual:
2216662-phantasmagoria-a-puzzle-of-flesh-windows-youll-realize-some-stra.png
You've mentioned this before, but I would be down for a bisexual male character if it was handled meaningfully and with tact. These militant activists and pseudo-gamedevs can't write or explore complex characters like that worth a dingleberry though. They aren't in this industry for that.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

I thought her name was familiar. She was the one liking tweets that stated “you can’t be racist to white people”. She really went in the attack on behalf of Sweet Baby Inc after that company went after a Steam user for making a list of Sweet Baby games and tried to have him lose his entire Steam account. I see she dropped Wolverine from her Twitter bio. I skipped out buying the new Ratchet & Clank game when it was recently on sale. Don’t want to support Insomniac any more with people like her working there.

Disgusting. But I’d say most people are ok with this things bearing in mind how much SM2 sold. I’m even willing to bet that most of the people in this forum will buy GTA6 no matter how woke it is.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Disgusting. But I’d say most people are ok with this things bearing in mind how much SM2 sold. I’m even willing to bet that most of the people in this forum will buy GTA6 no matter how woke it is.

Yes, it will be interesting to see with Spider-man 3 and its spin-offs. Sometimes a game sells well but if it’s received mixed then subsequent games are the ones that pay the price. And vice versa were bad sequels to great games can sometimes sell more than the first entry. Mike Morales seems to have been a flop on Steam. The PS5 version had SM1 remastered bundled in and was the only way to get the remastered for over a year, so MM’s PS5 sales are inflated.

conpfreak

I think games with heavy narratives should definitely explore having more LGBTQ content where it's appropriate. When done properly, it can really enhance the experience or tell a more interesting story that fits writers/devs intentions. With that said, hypothetically if Samus Aran was a lesbian, what would that add to the core experience of a Metroid game? Needs to make sense within the context of the experience.

Doczu

Gold Member
Well thank you for saying I shouldn't exist. You didn't have to be mean.

Those words do exist. Look them up and maybe you'll understand a little bit more on how much variety the trans gender umbrella has.

I'm not asking you to like it just show us respect like you would with other people.
And here's the victim card.

The word salad you posted is bullshit and the only valid thing is in your next post - gender dysphoria. If you're really suffering from it then i hope you are under professional care, from a doctor, therapist and possible medication.
Calling yourself made up words won't help you get better and i really do hope that in the end you will be well.

SaintALia

Yeah, I'm up for more LGBTQ+ characters in games. I'm not sure how 'brave' or 'progressive' that is when most of them fall in
'hot young lesbians' category tho. Like, I can't think of a single male main gay character in a high profile game. And even when there are male gay characters, it's mostly implied stuff.

So I guess that's great news for lesbians, trans and guys who like lesbians and trans, gays: fuck off and hold this side character and side story.
So, I'm bisexual, and this is not going to be a "pick me" comment, so anyone that is expecting that, I'm not gonna give it to you.
And also, I don't speak for LGBTQ people. Just one guy.

For once, I would like to go back to days of Mortal Kombat X, when Kung Jin was introduced, and the fact that he was gay wasn't like this huge deal? There weren't a billion articles written about how progressive Mortal Kombat/Warner/Netherrealm are (Like Baldur's Gate 3), there weren't a bunch of obnoxious "Horny = personality/funny" shit everywhere (Hades 2).

It was REALLY well made, well included, and everyone treated like it was normal.

Which is exactly what I want more of.

The next Dragon Quest game could have a trans-man and a trans-woman as party members, and not only will I be okay with it, I want other people to see it as such as well. I want it to be seen as normal.

That includes the writers and activists that obnoxiously grand stand and make a huge deal about these things being super huper mega important.

Please. Include LGBTQ people in your games. And PLEASE, shut the fuck up. Let your actions and your art speak louder then you.

Normalize these things. Don't put a bright-as-the-sun spotlight on it, and pat yourselves on the fucking back. And MAYBE, you will get somewhere.

Being obnoxious will get you nowhere.

Make a trans woman, put her in your game, and treat her like any other character in the game.

Done and done.
Also this. Just include the characters in the game, don't expect a pat on the back for your 'magnanimity', just comes off as virtue signalling through marketing.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Can’t wait for Wolverine to come out trans and identify as a unicorn. Growing a single new claw out of is forehead to strap a dildo onto so he can butt fuck the shit out of Juggernaut in a side quest.

Video games were a mistake.

And yet people will buy the next game by Insomniac and praise like it's the best thing ever created, it will get 90+ Metacritics and the cycle will repeat.

I hope I'm wrong tho
yes youre in a echo chamber. Wolverine will sell regardless of who is gay in the game. Cause alot of people like me, don’t give a fuck. insecure people care. the opinions expressed here aren’t representative of reality.

Alot of things can also be true. There isn’t alot of representation of the gays. But quite a bit of the representation that is there is cringe. But so is straight story lines, they are also cringe.

If stellar blade was about a dude, whose bulge was pressed on the screen for the female and gay hornys people here would be complaining.

And here's the victim card.

The word salad you posted is bullshit and the only valid thing is in your next post - gender dysphoria. If you're really suffering from it then i hope you are under professional care, from a doctor, therapist and possible medication.
Calling yourself made up words won't help you get better and i really do hope that in the end you will be well.

Of course I'm under professional care. And no I'm not a victim. Your just being rude to me. I don't remember ever being disrespectful to you.

And the words are not made up. Look them up and you will see I didn't invent them.

I forgive you though. No idea why your angry at me but I apologise for upsetting you.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Insomniac is probably going to make Wolverine gay :(
So there will be a did he just shit himself mechanic because Wolverine's anal butt sphincters are weak from overuse/the neverending ramming+fisting by Spiderman? Maybe we could collect anal roses?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Of course I'm under professional care. And no I'm not a victim. Your just being rude to me. I don't remember ever being disrespectful to you.

And the words are not made up. Look them up and you will see I didn't invent them.

I forgive you though. No idea why your angry at me but I apologise for upsetting you.

The point the user was trying to have, I believe, is that you used a lot of words to say very little when you could have said “I have gender dysphoria” and got across the same exact information in a shorter, more concise, and scientifically accurate manner.

I don’t see anything there that is “upsetting” or insulting other than the mention of a victim card, which it did seem like you were playing with the whole “thanks for saying I shouldn’t exist” statement.

Last edited:
I stopped playing at the mission where they wanted me to get two dudes together. I was like what the hell is this doing in a Spiderman game?!@!!
You know why it was included...

I'm willing to bet that if the writer of the quest had made it a traditional man and woman, it wouldn't have been approved.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Geezus, is there much straight sex in games? Romance? Not really. So, why force LGBT into games. Games are games......we play the game and no need to explore straight or gay stuff. Same reason why Overwatch pushes the alphabet on their characters. It's a hero shooter and from what I know they don't have story or cutscenes.....so why have that as a focus?

The point the user was trying to have, I believe, is that you used a lot of words to say very little when you could have said “I have gender dysphoria” and got across the same exact information in a shorter, more concise, and scientifically accurate manner.

I don’t see anything there that is “upsetting” or insulting other than the mention of a victim card, which it did seem like you were playing with the whole “thanks for saying I shouldn’t exist” statement.

Oh that. I just saw those words don't exist when professionals told me that during my care.

That user seemed angry at me but maybe I just interpreted that wrong.

Not trying to play the victim or anything but it is what professionals helped me figure out. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Again sorry for the confusion thankfully you helped me figure it out which I appreciate.

Positive thing is that I'm doing much better than before with the help that I'm getting. 👌

Last edited:

Camreezie

To say we are lacking representation just means theyre not playing current releases anymore. I would wager the % of games with these groups represented is probably higher than the % of people out there who belong to those groups.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I think games with heavy narratives should definitely explore having more LGBTQ content where it's appropriate. When done properly, it can really enhance the experience or tell a more interesting story that fits writers/devs intentions. With that said, hypothetically if Samus Aran was a lesbian, what would that add to the core experience of a Metroid game? Needs to make sense within the context of the experience.

In today's climate a game with more LGBTQ content will be immediately seen as pandering to the woke, virtue signalling, another case of DEI interference etc, especially when it's a a game in a series without LGBTQ characters/themes. It's going to politicize the conversation and destroy good will from a substantial part of the audience. Games will be much more enjoyable (and sell better) if they stay the hell away from these topics.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh that. I just saw those words don't exist when professionals told me that during my care.

That user seemed angry at me but maybe I just interpreted that wrong.

Not trying to play the victim or anything but it is what professionals helped me figure out. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Again sorry for the confusion thankfully you helped me figure it out which I appreciate.

Positive thing is that I'm doing much better than before with the help that I'm getting. 👌
That is great, mate! I hope things continue to get better for you as time goes on. You are a great poster around these parts.

I think folks on both sides just tend to jump to conclusions too readily and not try to see where they are coming from.

I certainly know it is something I need to work on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
including LGBTQ stuff without making any sense story and character-wise, just to have that "checked off" is, by definition, sexist.

And something else: I have a friend who's gay and he is a normal fucking human being, he doesn't go around telling everyone he's gay. He's just some normal dude who has a lot of interests that don't have to do with being gay. And the way "writers" include LGBTQ characters is that they make them overly "LGBTQ-ish". Where their only character trait is them being gay/lesbian/trans whatever. If your only personality trait is that you are gay/lesbian or whatever, then there's something wrong with you.
The reason movies and games make LBGTQ people obvious sticking out from the crowd by either telling the world they are LBGQT or the stereotypical loud gay dude wearing a pink shirt being comedic relief is because the plot of that media doesn't have anything to do with sexuality. So they got to make it obvious so everyone knows.

If they make the character dress normal and isn't flamboyant in any way, then nobody can tell the person is gay or lesbian. And if that happens, then the loud people part of the LBQGT movement who think the world revolves around them complain they cant tell who is gay or not. While the rest of the consumers dont give a shit who is what as nobody in the movie or game is labeled straight or gay to begin with, so who really cares.

It'd be like your friend being modest about being gay and nobody can tell, but other people who are LBQGT complain about him being discriminatory because he's not loud enough telling the world he's gay.

Last edited:

Toons

What this person needs to understand is the harder they push their agenda and politics, the more I will resent them for it. And if they push even more, I might actually start to hate them.

Not because I am a bigot, but because I don't give a shit about your sexuality, just like I don't give a shit about anyone's sexuality. I don't care. Your sexuality is not a personality trait or a narrative thread and if it is this just means to me that you are vapid as hell. You keep that shit private. But the more you rub it in my face, the more I will resent you for it.

It is a vicious downward spiral of their own making and it blows my mind how blind they seem to be to this. Plus this faux-oppression bit is getting stale. You live in the most liberal, freethinking countries in the world. You dominate videogames, movies, tv shows, magazines, advertisements and all other forms of entertainment. Nobody is out to get you.

You want to be a hero for the cause? Go to the Middle East or Russia and try your luck there.

They shouldn't have to go to a war zone when there's people in their own homeland who DO hate them because of these things tho. That's a disingenuous argument

Many artist writers and the like are passionate about this for other aspects of their identity, and a feeling that they must repress an element of themselves that others don't have to.

This isnt limited to lgbt stuff. Issues of race, ethnicity and even financial status are all things artists whove lives in those corners gave made a post to represent, and authentically so. Martin Scorsese puts his roots as an Italian American prominently in his works. Spielberg has made many films authentically representing the Jewish American upbringing.

Theres a reason this is done and its not very different here. Sometimes irs uncomfortable, but that's also ok sometimes. Sometimes great art should be uncomfortable. I think hating someone for trying to be themselves and represent themselves so others like them feel that portrayal is a bit much.

That is great, mate! I hope things continue to get better for you as time goes on. You are a great poster around these parts.

I think folks on both sides just tend to jump to conclusions too readily and not try to see where they are coming from.

I certainly know it is something I need to work on.

I know I just recently came out of the closet and im going through a lot right now. I guess I got a little emotional and that's what happened.

Sometimes I just need to read somebody's else's take to fully understand what's being said.

Yes I agree that people tend to jump on things too quickly. Something which I'm guilty of doing many times in the past.

As for gaf its been a great place for me. Love interacting with others here and I love talking about one of my favorite hobbies.

When it comes to this topic I understand the feelings both sides have. With me I don't mind LGBTQ people in games but I also don't like that it's a check list item for some developers. I think when they look at us as some check list item it makes us appear more like objects than people if that makes any sense.

Toons

I live my life and let others live theirs. I have my support groups where we hang out together and share our experiences. But I'm not demanding special privileges or inclusion in media. The only thing I want is the same respect that every person is shown. That really is it.

It's fine to be straight and its fine to be LGBTQ. I can get along with others no matter their orientation. I'm just a human being on this planet living my life in a way that makes me happy.

As are we all. We probably will disagree on much. But my personal conviction is that its a shared world and we have more in common than different. If I can show deceny to you and you me, respect you within reason, and you me then that's achieving more than most. Hopefully more will agree as we go on. We don't need more division, more spite, more hate.

nkarafo

We need to pull every lever we have
And that's how we know diversity in games or other media is forced nowadays.

10 years ago i wouldn't have a second thought, i would assume any character in a game or movie is there organically, because that's the best for those particular movies or games. But nowadays i just know it's nothing more than a mandatory check box or someone's personal activism/agenda and from now on i will always assume that. It's not my fault though, they did this with their dishonesty.

Tolerance and acceptance of gay people is one thing, but the idea that our art needs to be permeated with it, or that society in any way needs to cater to this minority in any way, is just crazy talk. To a certain degree, the whole LGBTQ thing does need to be marginalized - it can't be pushed into the forefront of society - it serves no purpose whatsoever. Societies need to be built around the family unit and heterosexual relationships and push that - that's not some crazy right-wing talk - it's just a basic reality of life. Gay people should not have to be closeted, but this whole pride lgbt culture has gotten totally out of hand.

Hudo

The reason movies and games make LBGTQ people obvious sticking out from the crowd by either telling the world they are LBGQT or the stereotypical loud gay dude wearing a pink shirt being comedic relief is because the plot of that media doesn't have anything to do with sexuality. So they got to make it obvious so everyone knows.

If they make the character dress normal and isn't flamboyant in any way, then nobody can tell the person is gay or lesbian. And if that happens, then the loud people part of the LBQGT movement who think the world revolves around them complain they cant tell who is gay or not. While the rest of the consumers dont give a shit who is what as nobody in the movie or game is labeled straight or gay to begin with, so who really cares.

It'd be like your friend being modest about being gay and nobody can tell, but other people who are LBQGT complain about him being discriminatory because he's not loud enough telling the world he's gay.
I understand but to be fair, the people who scream the loudest about that on Twitter are the ones who don't buy the games/watch the movies anyway.

It's working. The number of young people self-identifying as LGBTQ+ is at an absolute all-time high: 19.7%

3XQqLB5.jpeg

I think most of them who call themself LGBTQ+ only want to make themselves feel more special because somehow being white and straight is seen as a negative thing. Much cooler to call yourself queer, non binary or bisexual. You can claim to be oppressed and marginalized and still go on living your old familiar heterosexual life.

Bill Maher called it out and hit the bull's eye with this segment: the current crop of LGBT folks are only "along for the pride".

BTW I'm also part of the "LGBT community" and I'm sick of all the pandering. There's so much of it and it's getting so crazy that it's created a negative counter reaction that will lead to less respect for and acceptance of LGBT people. We've let the inmates rule the asylum for too long.

Yep, if you take LGB as a separate category from the identity stuff as it should be you'd see numbers that are much more realistic. These straight kids who think calling themselves "queer" (annoying term) makes them more interesting are idiots. The people who claim to be "non binary & they/them" yet only date members of the opposite sex crack me up, it's a made up thing for boring people who think it makes them interesting as far as I'm concerned and I'm sick of being lumped into that category with them. Don't get me wrong I do believe a very small number of people feel like they were born in the wrong body and I don't want them to be picked on or discriminated against but there is no way it's up to 20% and being trans isn't really the same as non binary nonsense either because they basically claim to be nothing lol.

I do find it funny how game devs seem to be focused on lesbians more than anything though, I don't think their motives are as "pure" as they'd like to pretend lol.

Wildebeest

Mainstream games are generally sexless, with outliers like Baldur's Gate 3. Increasingly so, just like movies. It is like a combination of catering to world of Disney adults and CCP censors. If we get past that, you can open the gay sex floodgates in gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom