• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Install base of Generation 7 consoles reaches 200 million in North America and Europe

ZhugeEX

Banned
According to the NPD Group and GfK Chart-Track the total install base of PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii has reached 200 million units in North America and Europe as of H1 2015.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 combined have exceeded 123 million units whilst the Nintendo Wii has reached approximately 76 million units in these regions.

Please note that the above figures do not include sales for South America, Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, Australasia and Japan.

The total next generation install base for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in North America and Europe has exceeded 29 million units as of H1 2015. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 had an install base of 19 million in the same time frame when launches are aligned.

Source: The NPD Group & GfK Chart-Track

What can i do with this information? Nothing i guess.

Edit: Is this sold overall? So it does not account for damaged, not usable consoles? Because then i really have no idea what this figure should tell me.

Dystify

What can i do with this information? Nothing i guess.

Edit: Is this sold overall? So it does not account for damaged, not usable consoles? Because then i really have no idea what this figure should tell me.

It tells you exactly what is written in the OP. If sales are not your thing, you do not have to post in a sales topic.

ZhugeEX

Banned
How much is total for Gen 6 in comparison?

Unfortunately the numbers for then do not include North America as a whole but just USA and Europe. It's not a big difference but worth noting.

Gen 6 home console was 124 million in USA and Europe (PS2/XBX/GC)
DS and PSP was 146 million.
Gen 5 was 93 million (PS1/N64/SAT)

fabprems

According to the NPD Group and GfK Chart-Track the total install base of PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii has reached 200 million units in North America and Europe as of H1 2015.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 combined have exceeded 123 million units whilst the Nintendo Wii has reached approximately 76 million units in these regions.

Please note that the above figures do not include sales for South America, Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, Australasia and Japan.

The total next generation install base for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in North America and Europe has exceeded 29 million units as of H1 2015. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 had an install base of 19 million in the same time frame when launches are aligned.

Source: The NPD Group & GfK Chart-Track

I just can't understand how the industry media treat Nintendo. They single it out from the Gen 7 and don't mention it for Gen 8. To me, it's seems like a PR spin to tell that PS4/XBO and doing soooo much better than gen7 and everything is fine... which is weird cause these numbers looks already greats by themselves...

It tells you exactly what is written in the OP. If sales are not your thing, you do not have to post in a sales topic.

I'm sure my post sounded more aggressive than it should have, i'm sorry. Then again, i ask what to do with this information. Is this newsworty? If yes, why?

Kayant

I'm sure my post sounded more aggressive than it should have, i'm sorry. Then again, i ask what to do with this information. Is this newsworty? If yes, why?

It's interesting for people that follow sales, trends, etc for the games industry if you're asking if it's newsworthy then it doesn't sound like you're interested in this kind of thing.

I would guess the 360 and PS3 sales are pretty even - PS3 is leading overall now slightly WW but Xbox has always had a better market presence in the USA compared to it's EU or JPN (lol) markets. Just a guess.

pislit

This is newsworthy for people who is interested.

Anyway, looks a lot especially when there are other regions not counted in. im guessing this is better than the gen it succeeded right?

ZhugeEX

Banned
This is newsworthy for people who is interested.

Anyway, looks a lot especially when there are other regions not counted in. im guessing this is better than the gen it succeeded right?

Yup, each generation has seen a higher install base in North America and Europe. Generation 8 is the first time when the install base is expected to fall.

AP90

Good to hear!

So does that mean better tech/hardware next Gen if sales continue to be so good?? Lol..

Or prob the next Gen will come sooner.. Aka announce 2018 E3 release holiday 2019?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Yup, each generation has seen a higher install base in North America and Europe. Generation 8 is the first time when the install base is expected to fall.

With PS4 and Xbox One tracking ahead, an overall drop would have to be placed squarely on the shoulders of Nintendo.

Did the PS2 " cannibalize " the 5th generation or did it single handedly save the Gen ?

Sony made efforts to take Europe that hadn't been made before, but there was still a decent amount of growth in NA.

Also, I agree with people that the way Nintendo numbers are selectively included and excluded and the way PlayStation and Xbox are lumped together like they're the same entity is an attempt to obscure this generation's health.

With PS4 and Xbox One tracking ahead

Tracking ahead of last generation's dismal initial performance for everything that wasn't Wii? Or tracking ahead of the PS2 generation? PS4 + XBO will need a combined install base of something approaching 60m units by March for this generation to look anything like the PS2 generation.

(NOTE: Not launch-aligned, although launch alignment actually makes the PS2 gen look better and the 360/PS3 gen look worse)

PS2 Shipments as of March 2003 - 51.2m
Xbox Shipments as of March 2003 - between 8m (Dec 2002) and 9.4m (June 2003)
Total Shipments as of March 2003 - between 59.2m and 60.6m

PS3 Shipments as of March 2009 - 22.91m
Xbox 360 Shipments as of March 2009 - 16.2m
Total Shipments as of March 2009 - 39.11m

For fun:

GameCube Shipments as of March 2004 - 14.57m
Wii U Shipments as of March 2015 - 9.54m
Wii Shipments as of March 2009 - 50.39m

ZhugeEX

Banned
That's quite a bit for Rest of the World, no? More than I would expect.

So total shipments would be <275m.

Install base worldwide would be lower than that number.

200 million in NA and Europe. ~24m in Japan. Which leaves somewhere around 50 million for all the other markets mentioned above.

As i said in another thread 123-47million (forbes) for 360 in U.S.A gives 76. Subtract 10 million for UK, and that leaves 66. With the rest of the world it's probably also 6 (out of NA and Europe)

That leaves 60 million for the PS3, although technically both are probably a bit higher and I'm using low estimates or outdated estimates.
I thin it's a good split between 66 and 63 for the Xbox 360 and PS3 using media sites like forbes and techradar which posted announced numbers.

Of course this was as of 2014, so I expect these number to be closer to 50:50 at this point. Maybe with even the PS3 possibly ahead or close to being.

This 123 number also shows how bad the 360 did in Europe. That would mean 47 million out of 63 million was NA only leaving only 16 million for all of Europe and over 10 million of that (though I use 10 since I have no other sources) are the UK, leaving 6 for everywhere else.

PS3 has a better overall grab.

ZhugeEX

Banned
As i said in another thread 123-47million (forbes) for 360 in U.S.A gives 76. Subtract 10 million for UK, and that leaves 66. With the rest of the world it's probably also 6 (out of NA and Europe)

That leaves 60 million for the PS3, although technically both are probably a bit higher and I'm using low estimates or outdated estimates.
I thin it's a good split between 66 and 63 for the Xbox 360 and PS3 using media sites like forbes and techradar which posted announced numbers.

Of course this was as of 2014, so I expect these number to be closer to 50:50 at this point. Maybe with even the PS3 possibly ahead or close to being.

This 123 number also shows how bad the 360 did in Europe. That would mean 47 million out of 63 million was NA only leaving only 16 million for all of Europe and over 10 million of that (though I use 10 since I have no other sources) are the UK, leaving 6 for everywhere else.

PS3 has a better overall grab.

Tivor, forbes is quoting Chartz for their Xbox 360 and PS3 numbers. Unfortunately Chartz can be horribly inaccurate when it comes to numbers. Whilst I don't really disagree with the calculation you've made I wouldn't say it's definitive at all just because of Chartz reliability with numbers.

NPD and GfK are leaders in market research and retail tracking and therefore are able to be very accurate with their numbers. The 123 million is the combined install base of PS3 and 360 in NA/Europe but unfortunately we don't have an exact split for the two.

All I know as pure fact is that the 360 has an install base of approx ~51m in USA/UK and PS3 has an install base of around ~33m in USA/UK. Apart from that I don't have any other official data in order to account for the rest of Europe + Canada and other NA countries.

tebunker

Banned
It's a shame that we can't get more granular data or if more granularity is even available. I would love to know how things like failure rates are accounted for in the estimated numbers. So that would include things like rebuys etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see that a good 10% or more of these install bases are people who had to buy a replacement system for a dead one.

Tivor, forbes is quoting Chartz for their Xbox 360 and PS3 numbers. Unfortunately Chartz can be horribly inaccurate when it comes to numbers. Whilst I don't really disagree with the calculation you've made I wouldn't say it's definitive at all just because of Chartz reliability with numbers.

NPD and GfK are leaders in market research and retail tracking and therefore are able to be very accurate with their numbers. The 123 million is the combined install base of PS3 and 360 in NA/Europe but unfortunately we don't have an exact split for the two.

All I know as pure fact is that the 360 has an install base of approx ~51m in USA/UK and PS3 has an install base of around ~33m in USA/UK. Apart from that I don't have any other official data in order to account for the rest of Europe + Canada and other NA countries.

That still can give us something to work with. 123-51 is 72 million. I found this Neogaf thread, don't know how valid it is: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162535999&postcount=23

But if we use it, that would make 65.5. MCV also has sales for France: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-trumps-xbox-360-in-france/04296

If we use the 2.3 we will get 67.2.

If we could get any other numbers we can make a estimate on the split. Mostly the rest of continental europe or at least a few more countries, plus Australia and NZ.

ZhugeEX

Banned
That still can give us something to work with. 123-51 is 72 million. I found this Neogaf thread, don't know how valid it is: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162535999&postcount=23

But if we use it, that would make 65.5. MCV also has sales for France: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-trumps-xbox-360-in-france/04296

If we use the 2.3 we will get 67.2.

If we could get any other numbers we can make a estimate on the split. Mostly the rest of continental europe or at least a few more countries, plus Australia and NZ.

Those numbers are accurate, but there isn't nearly enough data for the other european countries to make an accurate guess unfortunately.

Those numbers are accurate, but there isn't nearly enough data for the other european countries to make an accurate guess unfortunately.

I now there's some that aren't updated by anything from italy, Spain orGreece could help out.

Apparently 1 million for NZ and Australia according to this.

That would be 66.

I think that number is close enough to maybe make an assumption the 123-66 is 57. I think while we are still guessing I think we have enough here to make my 63-60 split not too farfetched.

Yes, but you will hear otherwise from the "Wii was not 7th gen" and "WiiU is not next gen" crowd.

Expect to hear it all the time when the machine launches in two years.
Wii U was next gen, but NX won't be. We can't be starting gens four years before 2/3 of the consoles launch.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I now there's some that aren't updated by anything from italy, Spain orGreece could help out.

Apparently 1 million for NZ and Australia according to this.

That would be 66.

I think that number is close enough to maybe make an assumption the 123-66 is 57. I think while we are still guessing I think we have enough here to make my 63-60 split not too farfetched.

We don't have enough of anything to make any sort of guess haha.

Wondering how many of these are RROD replacements?

I owned three 360s. Couldn't say I was a happy customer when I bought the second two.

Mrbob

So PS4 and XB1 combined should outsell PS3 and 360.

Steam emergence more than makes up for the disappearance of the Wii.

Doom and gloom.

Top Bottom