• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instances where 60fps is not enough?

nkarafo

Running games at 120/144/240 hz to reduce ghosting/blurring doesn't count though. I'm looking for instances where 60fps is too slow for the games themselves.

So far it's pinball games for me. 60fps simply is not enough to render the ball when it bounces around the table at high speeds. This is how it looks at 60fps (you can see how the ball image gets "repeated" as it gets shot by the plunger):

I played many pinball engines including FX3, Arcade and VPX and 120fps seems to be the minimum for me. It looks more natural and you never miss the ball or get the repeated image/ghosting of it. 240fps is even better but VPX is too demanding for that, works wonders in FX3 though.

I assume twitch FPS multiplayer games fall in the same category?

Holammer

That's a good example. Most of my friends that play CSGO, play on 120-144hz monitors and plan on getting 240 or higher.
Past few days I wondered how shooters like Touhou would look and play at higher frame rates. Would they become easier?

nkarafo

Here's another game where 60fps feels low:

I played the game on a regular 60hz TV and couldn't even get past the later levels. Then i played on a CRT monitor at 85fps and the "S" ranks became regular. Though, it might have more something to do with the zero input lag CRTs have instead of the higher frame rate. But i do reach the same performance on my 240hz LCD monitor (running at 120fps). At 60hz on a TV (game mode enabled) the game was unplayable for me.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
VR games, broadly. In VR even 90fps is not perfect. It doesn't feel "bad" but you are still vaguely aware it's not truly fluid.

Wonko_C

Here's another game where 60fps feels low:

I played the game on a regular 60hz TV and couldn't even get past the later levels. Then i played on a CRT monitor at 85fps and the "S" ranks became regular. Though, it might have more something to do with the zero input lag CRTs have instead of the higher frame rate. But i do reach the same performance on my 240hz LCD monitor (running at 120fps). At 60hz on a TV (game mode enabled) the game was unplayable for me.

This was my experience except in VR. I can't beat the later levels on TV but I was able to finish the game in VR with little frustration.

VR games, broadly. In VR even 90fps is not perfect. It doesn't feel "bad" but you are still vaguely aware it's not truly fluid.
Also this, especially PSVR with its 60fps, even when interpolated to 120fps fast-moving images look like static pictures in quick succesion.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
In sim racing you want the best framerate you can get if you dint want input lag.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This was my experience except in VR. I can't beat the later levels on TV but I was able to finish the game in VR with little frustration.
I noticed this with the VR Llamasoft games. I just played a lot better with the lower latency and higher framerate of VR.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I bought a LG C9 recently and i switched between 120hz 1440p and 60hz 4K on COD: MW , i was like wtf 60fps is not smooth anymore. It had the same effect as going from 60fps to 30fps. I immediately switched back to 120hz, the difference is insane. Never thought it would be this big, i thought 60fps was more than enough but boi was i wrong. I can't wait to try out 4K 120hz when RTX 3 series launch with hdmi 2.1 because native 4K is just nice and clean.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Going from Destiny 2 on PS4 Pro to a high end PC was legit jaw dropping. It's a different game altogether. From 30fps to 120fps (among other features) basically reignited my love for the game due to how much more fun it was to play.

johntown

Banned
Any competitive PC shooter. You need every edge you can get and if your only running 60fps you will be at a disadvantage.

If your not playing competitively it can matter but is more personal preference.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The only game I've played where the difference was immediately noticeable was Doom Eternal. I played it first on one x and I still think 60 is more than playable but hitting 100 plus frames consistently just gives you a better feel for the controls.

Rathalos

Banned
Any shooter. 100+ fps with a variable refresh rate monitor is the sweet spot for me.

Last edited:

GHG

Doom and Doom Eternal.

Any competitive games. Fortnite, CoD, CS, Apex Legends, Titanfall, etc.

Racing sims.

I'd also love for fighting games to run above 60fps and I think we would see a huge benefit but alas, they are all locked to 60.

Tschumi

I don't think I've ever played over 60 fps. But I will say that I was perfectly capable of doing well in shooters like Unreal Tournament, Quake, etc, back in the day, on whatever FPS we were rockin' back then. I personally haven't the experience to be definitive about this, but I can say this: I've never played a game that had too slow framerate for me to be able to practically play and enjoy it.

sxodan

Modern Warfare was literally unplayable for me when locked to 60 FPS. I usually play at 120 FPS but wanted to switch to 60 FPS just for the sake of comparison and my god, it was horrible.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

You’re right. 90 is “good enough” but the difference with 120 and 144 is huge. It will continue to be perceivable until VR hits 240hz, which is a long, long ways away.

Last edited:

Yams

Any racing game could benefit from a high frame rate. When you're flying down a straight at 200 miles per hour, your F1 car might move 2 meters before the next frame is rendered at 60fps. The more you see, the easier it is to hit you're breaking points.

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
I bought a LG C9 recently and i switched between 120hz 1440p and 60hz 4K on COD: MW , i was like wtf 60fps is not smooth anymore.
I had the same experience as well. I was playing some retro fps shooter at 144hz and after I switched to play some sekiro, it felt choppy i was wondering why the game is not smooth so i checked fps counter and it was 60fps.
This only last for a while then my eyes get adjusted to 60fps and it looks smooth again :).

But to your question op, I haven’t played game where high fps is a must they just feel better.

nkarafo

When you've blown all your money on a new monitor and you're desperate to convince yourself that it wasnt a stupid thing to buy.
You are probably joking but let me tell you, high refresh rate monitors are important even outside gaming.

I started using the internet in late 1999 and used the same CRT monitor at 85hz since a couple of years ago when it died on me. For the whole duration, i browsed the internet with the "smooth scrolling" option ON, so the pages move smoothly instead of jumping half of a screen every time i want to scroll. It looks far better and i could even read the text while scrolling at the same time.

The above is impossible on a regular 60hz monitor. Because if you smoothly scroll any page with text, said text becomes so blurred, you can't read it. Heck, even at 144hz, the text wasn't clear enough for me (but i could read it). So i ended up getting my current 240hz DELL, which was the only way to come really close to the same experience i had with my CRT. And even that isn't 100% there, you still get some slight ghosting if the text is black and the background is white but with dark themes it's perfect.

60hz LCD monitors/TVs were a huge downgrade VS CRTs. You probably don't remember how clear the image is on a CRT while it moves but if someone demonstrate it to you, you will be surprised. High refresh rate monitors aren't on that level yet, and if you run locked 60fps content in them (like emulators) you get the same problems as 60hz monitors. But they are a smaller downgrade since you can't buy CRTs anymore.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
60hz LCD monitors/TVs were a huge downgrade VS CRTs.

TBH everything aside from the size and resolution in LCD/Plasma/OLED was/is a downgrade compared to CRT TVs. But yeah, the motion handling took one of the biggest hits.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
When you've blown all your money on a new monitor and you're desperate to convince yourself that it wasnt a stupid thing to buy.

I assume you've never tried it before? I have a friend that switched to PC and is still using a controller to play his FPS games (don't ask me why). He said he doesn't notice a difference between 60fps and 144ps. I tried his setup, then I realised why; his turnspeed was abysmally slow, in part because he liked it slow, but also because people playing FPS with a little analogue stick are naturally going to be slower. You won't be able to do fast rapid left to right swipes with a little stick (without affecting accuracy). No wonder he couldn't tell the difference - I had to peg the stick to the side for an eternity to even do a 180.

Now, if you use a mouse to try a quick swipe, then the difference between 60fps and 144fps is day and night.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Now, if you use a mouse to try a quick swipe, then the difference between 60fps and 144fps is day and night.
You are not wrong but you can demonstrate the difference just as easily with a gamepad. Instead of using the right analog to turn/aim around (which can be slow depending on the sensitivity options) you can just face any object up close (say, a wall) and use strafe left/right to pan the camera. The objects you'll be facing will move fast enough to clearly see the difference.

Mokus

Flying games. A study showed that trained jet fighter pilots can perceive a frame in over 200 frames per second.

SkylineRKR

TBH everything aside from the size and resolution in LCD/Plasma/OLED was/is a downgrade compared to CRT TVs. But yeah, the motion handling took one of the biggest hits.

True, from speakers to view angle to lag to refresh rate. Its all worse on non-CRT. They're essentially trying to get CRT quality back while keeping the OLED/LCD benefits. But they're still not there.

Last edited:
I just bought a 240hz Alienware monitor, it is incredible. Every game feels like a new experience, but racers and FPS's benefit especially. You need the cpu and gpu grunt to push anywhere near 240 though.

Soodanim

The simple truth is that any game that has quick changes in what you're seeing will benefit.

Fast movement within an environment like GTA? Definitely smoother.
Fast movement of the camera in first person? Definitely smoother.

For anyone who hasn't done it, I recommend one thing when you get a 120hz+ monitor for the first time:

Half-Life 2.

Why an old game? Easy. You can run it maxed out at resolutions higher than your monitor supports with a locked, maxed out framerate with no dips. If your display supports it, black frame insertion makes the smoothness even better. Perfect framerate, perfect image quality, great game to try it out on. You really appreciate the difference.

Question about black frame insertion modes: how are they on today's monitors with higher brightness? On my AOC G2460PG there's a big drop in brightness.

Now I have a 165 Hz screen, Microsoft Excel is painful to use at 60 Hz.
This is actually one of the biggest things, especially noticeable since I started using my old 60hz next to my 144hz. Luckily it is reserved for static pages and YouTube/Netflix. No scrolling allowed!

Last edited:
Top Bottom