• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Ramen: Do you use the flavor packet or do you toss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Been sick the last few days and bought some instant ramen. I always partial to the Nongshim bowls.

I went on the internet for some ideas on upgrading the humble bowls:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...t-noodles-japanese-what-to-do-with-ramen.html

I mostly added spinach and scallions, and soft boiled eggs.

My only conundrum was should I use the sodium filled flavor packet. I'm not too afraid of excess sodium as I don't suffer from hypertension, but I do remember how overly salty they can be.

I kept the flavor packet in the first time and, man it was super salty. More than I remember.

My next bowl was done sans packet and I used tamari soy sauce instead. Much better.

I don't really eat instant ramen too much. Only when I'm sick. It's my version of chicken soup, but the flavor packet seems overkill these days.

Tirod

Of course I use the packet! Instant Ramen isn't that great for you to begin with, no reason not to go full kill with the flavor packet.

I usually add chili powder, black pepper, and garlic powder in addition to the packet, so I have a sad imitation of a spicy ramen dish.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I use about two thirds of the packet. Using the whole packet makes it too salty.

Clydefrog

I remember growing up we would eat the ramen uncooked. Just put the noodles and seasoning in a bag and then crush the bag so it breaks up the noodles. Then you eat it out of the bag like popcorn :)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I used to open the package on top, open the flavoring, pour the flavoring into the package, and eat the noodles dry lol. It actually was pretty good.

I remember growing up we would eat the ramen uncooked. Just put the noodles and seasoning in a bag and then crush the bag so it breaks up the noodles. Then you eat it out of the bag like popcorn :)

Omg! Do you mind if I follow you around and post stuff with you from now on I feel like we just bonded. ☺��

entremet

ramen1.gif

I use the whole packet but don't drink all the soup. Just toss it down the drain after noodles are done. Just sip a lil bit while slurping noodles, haha.

entremet

Wow, people drain the water?!

I know it's instant ramen, but it just seems wrong. Traditional ramen is all about the broth.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Wow, people drain the water?!

I know it's instant ramen, but it just seems wrong. Traditional ramen is all about the broth.

Bruh hell yeah! It was super flavory. A buddy of mine would put Ranch dressing on his noodles with the seasoning after draining the water.

That aint traditional ramen broth bruh, haha.

Its too salty to me. I dont drain the noodles, i put all in the bowl. I just eat the noodles and drink very little of the broth. To salty to me. Its just flavoring the noodles really.

Jukeboxx93

Neo Member
I only use half a packet of flavoring for every packet of noodles.I also generally drain the water and add milk, butter and the occasional vegetable.

I can't have much sodium in my diet, so I use like 1/4 the packet and crack an egg in there while its hot.
Definitely drain the water
Put a little bit of sriracha or other hot sauce on it

Ishan

when I have maggi (indian ramen) I use the flavouring. When using nongshim I sometimes even toss the noddles lol and just drink the flavoured broth. When I use regular manchurian ramen I skip the packet nowadays. Just cook it as noodles and add veggies soy sauce/ similar things / vinegar etc.

impact

Banned
if I'm eating instant ramen that means I've already given up on better options so yeah, I use the packet.

this

it's funny seeing people trying to make "healthier" meals out of instant fucking ramen lol. plus I only get the spicy ones and I love spicy broth

idlewild_

I use the full packet, but I use extra water and drain it after mixing the packet in. I didn't know you were supposed to keep the water until recently when I was bored waiting and actually read the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom