• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alinea: My dining experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alphahawk said:
Obviously they'd give you less portions...

Part of the thing that was amazing about this meal was that there WERE so many courses. Sure, I'd love to have an amazing dish that was the size of my head, but I LOVE variety, and each dish was really exciting while it was coming out.

And my advice if you go into a place like Alinea is to go in with as LITTLE knowledge about the food prior to going. Be surprised and entertained. Granted I probably ruined this with my first post. :lol

Luckily Achatz is changing his menu ALL the time. When I was looking for pics online, I read some of the other blogs, and aside from the truffle and potato, my menu was completely different. Give it a couple months and I'm sure it'll be a completely new one.

Draft

mediterranean-hands-free-flavors-al.jpg

:lol

Nilla

Banned
bigjimmystyle said:
$1500 a head is downright ridiculous, but at $375 each it sounds a whole lot more appealing. Does anyone know of any similar restaurants in Sydney (Australia)?

Try Quay in Sydney. Reputedly the best restaurant in Australia, and almost certainly the best views. Make sure you have the sea pearls and the guava snow egg!

http://www.quay.com.au/index.html

The tasting menu is $210 per person - relatively speaking, it's a bargain! ;)

Sharp

BruceLeeRoy said:
Like Michael Voltaggio's Volt? How was it? Ever since Top Chef where those 2 guys were utter geniuses I have been dying to go there.
Yeah, that one. I don't watch Top Chef, but my sister does and she had been begging us to go there for awhile, so we did. The food was absolutely superb and the atmosphere was great. They designed the kitchen so that you could see him and the other chefs working the entire time. My favorite course might have been one of the complimentary ones (a sampler that included steak tartar) or possibly the tuna. Actually, scratch that--the duck pate with rhubarb was probably the best thing I had that night. Some of the things they did with foam blew my mind. The wine pairings were also excellent, and the entire meal was a pretty reasonable value for what it was ($95 / person or so for six courses plus a few complimentary ones and only $50 for the wine pairing for the "Chef's Table" menu). If you're in the Frederick, MD area I would definitely recommend it.

And once again, for those of you who don't understand the appeal of restaurants like this: it is food as a transcendent experience. If you prefer big portions and aren't at least a little bit snobbish (e.g. insisting on having good steak rare) you probably won't find a restaurant like this worth it.

GhaleonQ

bigjimmystyle said:
$1500 a head is downright ridiculous, but at $375 each it sounds a whole lot more appealing. Does anyone know of any similar restaurants in Sydney (Australia)?

Pier. Definitely Pier.

way more

Congrats on not bringing a camera. I don't think I could manage to take pictures and enjoy a meal at the same time. It removes you from the dining experience. As the saying goes, "The food is not the lunch," and by capturing your dinner on disk it makes it merely food.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This thread's going to turn out just like the French Laundry one isn't it? :lol

Nice post OP, much better pics than in my FL report.

Sharp

mac said:
Are those your pictures? I don't think I could manage to take pictures and enjoy a meal at the same time. It removes you from the dining experience. As the saying goes, "The food is not the lunch," and by capturing your dinner on disk it makes it merely food.
Read the OP, he didn't bring a camera.

way more

Sharp said:
Read the OP, he didn't bring a camera.
Edited and corrected. Although I'm such a hypocrite. I love to look at pictures of "Full English breakfast," and other meals I'll never have.

Talon

Alphahawk said:
I never understood why high class restaurants such as these give out such tiny portions, yes I know there's a lot of them, but wouldn't it just be better to you know have bigger portions?
I don't think you understand the idea of a tasting menu...

KAP151

Would love to take my GF to something like this, but I could never justify spending that amount of cash on a meal. Still, it looked amazing - and so tasty.

Oh Fuck OFFFFFFF

I can't tell you how jealous I am.

Because I live in New Zealand it's not likely I'll ever get to visit this place, with El Bulli going away it's probably the place I most want to eat at.

The level of detail and ingenuity that goes into everything that they do is astounding. The closest I'll get for the time being is the cookbook (which I have had for some time).

Glad you enjoyed it.

What are "pillows infused with Earl Grey scent?" Is that meant to be taken literally, or some sort of airy and edible material given an Earl Grey scent?

luoapp

CabbageRed said:
What are "pillows infused with Earl Grey scent?" Is that meant to be taken literally, or some sort of airy and edible material given an Earl Grey scent?
I think it's literal.
4538413993_9f10e80cb1_d.jpg

Srider

Banned
That looks like an amazing meal. Total split between 4 people and it's only about $375 per person.

That is not bad at all. There are places I've been that goes close to $500 per person.

How is the view of the restaurant? Based on the hallway picture I imagine there isn't much to see from inside?

Yeah, it was an air pillow with infused Earl Grey aroma with a cloth over it. There was a slow leak from the pillows, and it slowly deflated once the plate was put on. While you were eating the dessert, you got this amazing scent of Earl Grey with flavors of lemon and cookies.

EDIT: Yeah, there's really not much of a view. I was by the front, and there weren't windows or anything. But the lighting makes the setting seem like a mildly overcast day near dusk.

Meier

giga said:
Still doesn't seem as good as a value as this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316249

http://i27.tinypic.com/fvbx8h.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
lol, great reference.. that thread was classic.

Nice read OP -- the most expensive place I've been here is Sepia and that was about $50 a head with our drinks. :lol My problem is I am a very picky eater so all the expensive places just don't serve stuff that interests me even if I was willing to throw down the money.

It seems like Alinea is similar to Charlie Trotter's in that you could and would easily miss it if you didn't know better. I didn't even know where it was to be honest.. North/Clybourn area, interesting.

CabbageRed said:

Plastic bags filled with scented air that are pierced and release the fragrance.

rodvik

IAmtheFMan said:
T

Oh God no. The total was 1500. This was split between 4 people, with the ones that got the wine pairings contributing a little more.

Thats not bad at all. Thanks for the write up. Hmm Chicago eh?.....

Wormdundee said:
You can always tell who has never gone to a restaurant like this. You will leave full. Yes, each individual thing is quite small, but there are 26 of them. It's not really that hard to understand.
Just explain it in their language: It's like buying everything on the dollar menu all at once.

I wish the OP wouldn't have put the price. The GAF "other people's money" trolls are like sharks, and that's blood in the water.

Darklord

Banned
I've always wanted to try a dining experience like that but honestly, it's not worth $1500 to me. I could pay for an amazing steak for $50 at a good restaurant and spend the other $1450 in a million different ways, hell for that I could take an overseas holiday. Still, that food looks really nice.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
The Tour menu at Alinea is excellent.

I took a date there once.

Damn skippy I got laid. Then we went for hotdogs afterwards. One of the best dates ever actually.

Hey, OP, did Grant Achatz still have that Christian Bale from the Machinist look about him? Or has he recovered from chemo?

The head chef, had mouth cancer. Yikes.

KevinCow

Banned
IAmtheFMan said:
Bubble Gum: A tube of hibiscus, creme fraiche, tapioca. Meant to be sucked out all at once. Tasted EXACTLY like bubble gum.

I can't be the only one who laughed at this. "I spent $1500 on a meal and my dessert tasted exactly like something you can get for 25 cents."

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Did you just sit around snapping pictures of your meal all throughout?

Because I imagine that looking mighty silly.

Zaphod

Awesome descriptions in the OP, it sounds like a great experience. That's what life is for, having great experiences. It sounds like you took a weeks vacation for your mouth.

i have no frame of comparison, but i would absolutely pay 250 dollars for what you described and i'm not exactly rich. awesome thread.

Meier

EvaPlusMinus said:

If you'd read any of the OP or his later posts, you'd know that the photos were not his because he wanted to simply enjoy the food.

Alcoori

That looks absolutely amazing. Some of those dishes look so good and the whole dinning experience must be awesome.

That's one of the things that makes me regretting being a vegetarian. I feel I'm missing out on some of those crazy dishes and restaurant. I know Hubert Keller has a tasting vegetarian menu at his restaurant in SF but I didn't get to go when I was there.

I'd go to the brother's Voltaggio restaurants in a heartbeat if I was on the same continent. Last year Top Chef season was AMAZING. Seriously the quality of it was so good. Don't see it happening this season.

Man I can't get over this chocolate desert thing and the pillows or the suspended bacon piece. Ahaha.

Talon

KevinCow said:
I can't be the only one who laughed at this. "I spent $1500 on a meal and my dessert tasted exactly like something you can get for 25 cents."
EvaPlusMinus said:

Reading comprehension is poor 'round these parts.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Hey, OP, did Grant Achatz still have that Christian Bale from the Machinist look about him? Or has he recovered from chemo?

The head chef, had mouth cancer. Yikes.

We saw him running around. He's a skinny dude, but he didn't look emaciated or anything.

I can't believe that this guy was running this restaurant with barely any sense of taste while he was getting his chemo. Even now it's not 100% normal. How this guy can run the top restaurant in the U.S. and keep being this creative with his flavors is totally beyond me.

lljride

I'd love to try something like this at least once, but my wife is a pretty picky eater and won't really branch out much (and definitely not at the price they're charging). Hard to justify spending $300+ on a meal if you're not dining with your spouse. Looks awesome though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wait, that 1500 was for everyone including the wines?

GiJoccin

I've been to Blue Hill at Stone Barns... it was utterly amazing. It's an experience though, it's not like I'd want to go back and have a meal like that often, it's just too rich for that. It's not about leaving full (though I left STUFFED) or anything like that, it's just a fantastic experience, the service, the inventiveness with the food, etc. etc.

Doytch

Yeah, so $225 isn't too bad. I'd definitely do that if the right situation came along. Sure it's way more than I'd normally spend but it's not like you're doing it every day.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've always wanted to try one of these super fancy restaurants, but 2 things stop me (not the price):

-nobody to go with (g/f is an extremely picky and plain eater)
-don't like cheese, or quite a bit of seafood, which shrinks the # of meals i might eat

Still is a lot of fun to look at pictures and read about the whole experience though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I had a 5 course surprise menu and matching wine arrangement at a place called 'le zinc' in amsterdam.

Best place I've ever eaten.

the matching wines absolutely MADE the meal. every wine a story where it was from, my gf doesn't speak dutch and the waitress didn't skip a beat, straight to english and kept with the stories and service, my gf is also allergic to all shellfish including crab. No problems there, switched out the wine to match the surprise course they switched on the fly.

Was incredible. Ended up costing me 220 euro for 2 of us, but felt like a 500 euro evening. highly recommended.

ccbfan

Good company is essential for these fine dinning experiences. The euphoric reactions and discussions of each dish are some of the best part of meal. I can't imagine going alone.

Luckily for me, I know at least 20 people that would join me in these outings.

Obviously these are once a year, 2 max events. Not only the price but the richness and fullness you feel after each is insane.

way more

ccbfan said:
Good company is essential for these fine dinning experiences. The euphoric reactions and discussions of each dish are some of the best part of meal. I can't imagine going alone.

Luckily for me, I know at least 20 people that would join me in these outings.

Obviously these are once a year, 2 max events. Not only the price but the richness and fullness you feel after each is insane.

Just like LSD trips.

Davidion

djtiesto said:
I've always wanted to try one of these super fancy restaurants, but 2 things stop me (not the price):

-nobody to go with (g/f is an extremely picky and plain eater)
-don't like cheese, or quite a bit of seafood, which shrinks the # of meals i might eat

Still is a lot of fun to look at pictures and read about the whole experience though.

-Time for a new g/f. :lol
-You absolutely, ABSOLUTELY have to give up your picky eater habits for a hot minute if you end up going to these places. These things are about the experience, and as someone who is usually only experimental with food to a limited extent on a day-to-day basis, these trips are where you leave your nitpickiness at the door, otherwise you miss out on a lot of flavors.

Darren870

There is a good tasting restaurant in Providence, RI called Gracies. You can't get a 26 course taster but they do have a 5 & 7 ($75 & $90). I've been there twice and the 5 was more then enough food, the 7 would have been to much is my guess.

http://graciesprovidence.com/

Worth a try if you are ever in Prov. RI, its probably still the best dinner I've ever had. The fillet and duck were just amazing.

ccbfan

Darren870 said:
There is a good tasting restaurant in Providence, RI called Gracies. You can't get a 26 course taster but they do have a 5 & 7 ($75 & $90). I've been there twice and the 5 was more then enough food, the 7 would have been to much is my guess.

http://graciesprovidence.com/

Worth a try if you are ever in Prov. RI, its probably still the best dinner I've ever had. The fillet and duck were just amazing.

I just went there last week.

Got the 3 course prefix meal for like 30 bucks. Got the asparagus/duck/cheesecake. Really good.

Javaman

Thanks for the tour OP, that was a fun read. I wasn't a big fan of some of the food combinations, but liked the ingenuity of the serving devices.

For the wine parings I'm assuming it was just a small dash? Otherwise I would hate to get buzzed up halfway though and miss the nuances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom