• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insurgency: Sandstorm coming to PC and Consoles in 2017

insurgency-sandstorm-2016223122445_1.jpg

"New World Interactive and Focus Home Interactive have entered a new partnership to develop Insurgency: Sandstorm from the ground up in Unreal Engine 4 for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

New World Interactive hopes to expand on the Insurgency universe with Insurgency: Sandstorm, having already sold more than 2.3 million copies on PC."

“We are very excited about working with Focus on Insurgency: Sandstorm. We believe there’s a great opportunity for Insurgency on next-gen consoles and that aligning with a strong publisher will allow us to best leverage this. Considering our background, it was not easy finding a publisher we felt compatible with. We decided to work with Focus because they understand our game and they believe in our vision. In addition, they bring a wealth of knowledge when it comes to shipping console games and marketing to that audience.” said Jeremy Blum, Founder and Game Director of New World Interactive.

“We are very proud to partner with American studio New World Interactive. Insurgency is one of the most praised and played First Person Shooters on PC. We are excited to support NWI in this new adventure, and we will do everything we can to make Insurgency: Sandstorm a hit on consoles and PC in 2017.” added Cédric Lagarrigue, President of Focus Home Interactive.

Insurgency: Sandstorm is set in the Middle East and contains team-based action, first-person gunplay with a story mode, multiplayer and cooperative gameplay.

SOURCE: Game Watcher

CMDBob

I used to play insurgency mod for half life 2. This related to that at all?

Yep, this is essentially Insurgency 3, with the standalone Steam release running on Source being Insurgency 2 and the old Source mod being Insurgency 1.

Bout time they ditched Source. Good engine for it's day, but that day has long since passed, IMO.

http://newworldinteractive.com/announcing-insurgency-sandstorm/

Sandstorm is powered by Unreal Engine 4 and will be a major visual and technological upgrade to Insurgency. Although the game is being developed for console, it will stay true to its PC roots by ensuring our dedicated audience has a seamless transition to the new game. Sandstorm retains what makes Insurgency unique and challenging, bringing this experience to a new console audience.

In addition to console support, Insurgency: Sandstorm will contain some exciting new features such as a new story mode and eSports framework. The game is being built from the ground up with competitive multiplayer, console split-screen, and singleplayer in mind. The story mode will focus on a squad of characters as they face increasingly challenging chapters, from the invasion of Iraq in 2003 through the insurrection period and leading to the present day.

New World Interactive is currently developing a new eSports framework that it plans on deploying into Insurgency: Sandstorm upon release. In the meantime, New World Interactive intends to release a fully functional beta of these competitive systems into the current Source Engine version of Insurgency. The systems will be stress-tested and improved upon with the help of the community leading up until the launch of Insurgency: Sandstorm.

“The industry is going wild about the potential of eSports and we recognize the potential Insurgency has from the very root of its gameplay. Taking the time to build our competitive systems, while receiving data and feedback from the community will allow us to iterate towards quality and ensure we have a solid framework for the new console launch. We look forward to delivering to our passionate competitive fanbase the experience they’ve long been waiting for.” – Andrew Spearin – Creative Director of Insurgency.

There is no official release date planned for the competitive beta rollout, but the team is hard at work and intends to test as soon as possible. In the meantime, we will taking community questions about our plans with the current Insurgency and Sandstorm on our weekly live stream, this Saturday February 27 at 3pm EST on our official Insurgency Twitch.tv channel.

left - Source, right - UE4

TheRed

Do I have to buy this as a new game or is it an update coming to the one I already have on steam? Not that I won't buy this if I have to, loved what I played of insurgency.

Do I have to buy this as a new game or is it an update coming to the one I already have on steam? Not that I won't buy this if I have to, loved what I played of insurgency.

This is a new game, yes you have to buy it. It will get an eSports framework update which they will use for this, but that's it.

I hope they are updating their art pipe and attempting to make it physically correct.

Surely this was just a quick job.

TheRed

This is a new game, yes you have to buy it. It will get an eSports framework update which they will use for this, but that's it.

Okay cool. Really excited for this, all I really felt the game needed was a graphical upgrade. UE4 should bea very nice step up.

I am happy they are ditching Source, because god, that engine sucks.

I'm disappointed. Insurgency still has some major problems that needs fixing ASAP. I'd prefer them to focus on that instead of rebuilding the game in a new engine.

It will get an eSports framework update

They really wanted this version to take off in eSports as well.

Sadly, the game just encourages playing that doesn't lend well to eSports.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Insurgency since the Mod days. It's a good mix between the realism of Arma and the action of Counterstrike.
I'm sure I'm going to get this one too.

UnrealEck

Very underwhelming screenshots for a UE4 game.
I seem to find myself with that same impression of most UE4 games I'm seeing lately though.

MutFox

Banned
Insurgency is nothing like Counter-Strike.
It's closer to something like Red Orchestra, but it's all infantry.

You also have to count your ammo, once you reload,
that used clip stays in your inventory with the ammo you left in it.

Very cool game, but it's not arcadey at all, much more realistic than most shooters.
I still love playing this game every now and then.
Especially the co-op modes.

Akronis

Insurgency is nothing like Counter-Strike.
It's closer to something like Red Orchestra, but it's all infantry.

You also have to count your ammo, once you reload,
that used clip stays in your inventory with the ammo you left in it.

Very cool game, but it's not arcadey at all, much more realistic than most shooters.
I still love playing this game every now and then.
Especially the coop modes.

Yup. This is basically Desert Storm Red Orchestra. Great game.

I'm disappointed. Insurgency still has some major problems that needs fixing ASAP. I'd prefer them to focus on that instead of rebuilding the game in a new engine.

Unfortunately, a lot of Insurgency's problems are of the kind that the fix to them is one that requires switching to a better engine.

Source in its present state is alike to, say... Nintendo consoles. It's amazing when first-party works their magic with it (Valve, Crowbar Collective), and you wouldn't realize anything's wrong with it if you only played first-party titles, but for third-parties that get their hands on it (New World, InterWave, Troika (RIP)) it's complete and utter dogshit. Still better than Unity though!

I think TitanFall is like, the only third-party game using Source that doesn't have a million and one issues. Probably because Respawn's team spent the past decade working with their own FrankenIDTech before they touched Valve's. And at that, last I heard the console versions had issues anyway.

Valve is going to have a hell of a job trying to push Source 2 when it's ready for licensing rollout, considering Unreal 4 has already cornered the market, combined with Source's reputation for janky games like VampireTMB and EYE.

I am happy they are ditching Source, because god, that engine sucks.

Heh, I was about to say something like that. The game definitely needed a better engine since the game struggled on bigger, custom maps, even with such dense fog.

Good news to me and I am willing to purchase again, as long as PC updates aren't held back by console scheduling or whatever.

badblue

Love me some Insurgency. If they keep things just like they have now, with the huge graphical jump I'd be happy.

Top Bottom