• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Haswell reviews embargo lifted

Menelaus

Banned
This is a forum full of gaming enthusiasts. When, as such an enthusiast, you get much better value out of a 2 year old chip than a new product, some disappointment is warranted.

The great appeal of Haswell is not overclocking, it's battery life for mobile devices. THAT is relevant information.

dLMN8R

The great appeal of Haswell is not overclocking, it's battery life for mobile devices. THAT is relevant information.

Yes - pretending like enthusiasts here only care about raw desktop performance and not gaming laptops, tablets, convertibles, etc. is being awfully narrow-minded. There isn't a focus on a desktop performance because it's pretty much unnecessary for 99% of tasks.

1-D_FTW

Those seem like weird examples to me. ACIII doesn't have many performance issues, Crysis 3 is simply a matter of Crytek building for far future hardware (and perhaps inefficiency), and Kerbal isn't even a completed game (let alone optimized).

I'm glad that Intel isn't wasting their time trying to solve "problems" they didn't create in those games. Such a pointless endeavor.

I thought the overclock issues were related to the TIM. Which was just a cost cutting measure. No reason they couldn't have spent the extra couple of pennies on the K desktop models and passed the cost onto the customer. Everyone wins.

Durante

I don't think anyone claimed that it's not a good update for laptops, or that the graphics improvements aren't intriguing (there is even a separate thread about that).

None of that changes the fact that it's a disappointing desktop CPU. The fact that Intel clearly didn't focus on desktop performance when designing the chip does not change this, it merely explains it.

longdi

Banned
http://us.hardware.info/news/35295/haswell-has-usb-30-issues-with-14-out-of-22-tested-usb-drives

We tested 22 USB 3.0 memory sticks, USB 3.0 external hard disks and USB 3.0 external SSDs. 14 out of the 22 devices exhibited the problem.

If you want to be sure that you buy a motherboard without that issue, you will have to wait. Intel has indicated that, starting end July, a new version of the chipset, C2, will be supplied to the motherboard manufacturers. Then the motherboards have to be produced and shipped, and retailers will of course first sell their existing stock.

You can't tell by the exterior whether a board is C1 or C2. The manufacturers are also of the opinion that it's insignificant and we haven't heard any plans that it will be mentioned specifically on the box which version it is.
Once you've bought a board, you can find out which one you have with CPU-Z. Under the tab Mainboard you can see the revision of the chipset. Revision 4 is C1, and the improved C2 stepping will be called revision 5.

You can read more about this and everything else there is to know about the new chipsets and motherboards for Haswell processors, in our big test of 33 Haswell-compatible motherboards.

Looks like buying that 3770K really cheap 2 months ago was the best choice to make. I need 8 more gigs of ram and bring on Nvidia 7xx :D

Nachtmaer

Nvidia is running laps around AMD atm. Honestly AMD seems like a joke these days. :|

30% faster for twice the price is running laps?

I'd actually like to see AMD go back to their small die strategy like the HD4000/GTX200 days. Cheap GPUs that made nVidia drop their ridiculous prices.

Do you think Intel has made a conscious effort to design these chips so they cannot overclock

Intel already did that with Sandy Bridge. Sure you can still overclock, if you buy the k version and don't care about virtualisation.

Kabouter

Still stitting on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3,4 Ghz lol. What should I upgrade to if I got roughly 200 to spare for a CPU? Wait for Haswell or go for a 3750k?

Core 2 Duo E8400 here :D
Honestly as outdated as shit my CPU is, garbage updates like this (for desktop parts) still make it hard to justify an upgrade...somehow.

Yes - pretending like enthusiasts here only care about raw desktop performance and not gaming laptops, tablets, convertibles, etc. is being awfully narrow-minded. There isn't a focus on a desktop performance because it's pretty much unnecessary for 99% of tasks.
Well more that the desktop market is in decline and Intel is making sure their chips remain relevant to consumer trends. Not just the alleged 1% you cite.

2San

30% faster for twice the price is running laps?

I'd actually like to see AMD go back to their small die strategy like the HD4000/GTX200 days. Cheap GPUs that made nVidia drop their ridiculous prices.
The reason why Nvidia isn't offering sharper prices, because AMD isn't a threat. Their driver support is still pretty lacking as well when it comes to sli/xfire, Lightboost, etc.

JWong

Banned
I was hoping I could replace my entire PC, but looks like just a RAM upgrade and ATi video card if Nvidia is also screwed.

It's disappointing that it's been 3 years now and I haven't been the slightest bit tempted to move off my i7-930. On the plus side I'm really getting my moneys worth out of it.

Addnan

Core 2 Duo E8400 here :D
Honestly as outdated as shit my CPU is, garbage updates like this (for desktop parts) still make it hard to justify an upgrade...somehow.
My second computer still has an e8400 too. Although any CPU intensive games for example Crysis and battlefield runs like shit. Haswell, ivy and Sandy will run rings around it. My main PC has Ivy and when I use the other one, lol. It's no comparison. A lot of games still work though!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they aren't overclocking well, maybe its time for intel to start adding more cores, and pricing 6 cores at a more affordable level.

For desktops, a 6 core chip with the IGP ripped out would be affordable to make I think.

Another step down in OC potential from Intel, goddamn it. Also, what's up with the cheap thermal paste they seem to be using? I'm not yet comfortable with delidding.

The reason why Nvidia isn't offering sharper prices, because AMD isn't a threat. Their driver support is still pretty lacking as well when it comes to sli/xfire, Lightboost, etc.
How many people is that really appealing to? The real battlefield for GPUs is single card users. Niche of a niche. /OT

vermadas

Glad I didn't wait around for Haswell when I was thinking of upgrading this year. Ivy may be on a dead socket but by the time I feel the need to upgrade they will probably be on the next socket anyway.

Enectic

Banned
goddamit that is crazy:O

Retina Haswell Macbook Pros... How long can you last? Guess we will see at WWDC june 10th. right before/after the console press events.

Yeah, it's pretty insane. My old A6 17 inch laptop with a 6650m and 1600x900 screen resolution runs about 4 - 5 hours on battery. That laptop is an i7 17 incher with a GTX 780M (4GB GDDR5) and a screen resolution of 1920x1080 and it lasts just as long if not longer!

2San

There are plenty of price points where AMD is competitive. Not everyone is willing to shell out $1000 for a GPU.
They aren't, even in the range where their GPU's outperform Nvidia's . Nvidia's tend to sell better either way.
How many people is that really appealing to? The real battlefield for GPUs is single card users. Niche of a niche. /OT
Nvidia performs better in the single card department as well. It's apparently appealing to a lot of people seeing they're outselling AMD across the board. Again the high prices from Nvidia, because people are buying Nvidia stuff either way. Nvidia can ask more money while offering less, because AMD is not a threat.

The focus on overclocking the OP seems completely irrelevant and pointless. Who honestly needs to overclock anything these days?

I'm glad Intel isn't focusing on such unnecessary enthisast boner matches. Looks like Haswell does what it promised to do - significantly increase graphics performance, significantly lower power consumption (when not overclocking), enabling extremely fast laptops that get far higher battery life.

Agreed. Better IGP performance and longer battery life were the reasons I'm interested in Haswell and so far it looks like the chip delivers.

2San

Brand recognition and marketing sure helps a lot. Even in the Fermi days they outsold AMD and GF100 was a horrible chip. Then again, I think you're missing the point anyway.
What's the point? Nvidia has way better cards period. When AMD cards offers better price/performance, it's because it's in a segment Nvidia doesn't need to lower it's price. Still drivers are important. It bugs me to no end how AMD keeps lagging with their drivers lacking advanced features. I have an unlocked 6950 fyi.

AMD is fighting with price, because they can't fight on performance.

They still put more priority on desktops, and don't want it to be at that platform's expense.

If the sole focus of Haswell was only about mobile parts, then why the other improvements (more USB 3.0 lanes, SATA3, AVX2, etc.)? Why can't the more enthusiast parts (i. e. K processors) be given more performance leeway?

That will be amazing chip for notebooks but the desktop parts suck.
But on the other hand mine 2500K which does 4500 with minimum voltage bump seems like best buy since pentium III :D

So what's this translated into English in relation to MacBooks?

Better CPU performance and much better graphics performance. Poor overclocking doesn't matter for Macbooks, but CPU will get hotter.

What is delidding?

Removing the combo lid (heat spreader) off of the CPU and replacing it to allow for better heat dissipation.

rwamo3b.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
Better CPU performance and much better graphics performance. Poor overclocking doesn't matter for Macbooks, but CPU will get hotter.

Removing the combo lid (heat spreader) off of the CPU and replacing it to allow for better heat dissipation.

This is different than applying the thermal paste for purposes of a cpu heatsink cooler correct?

kharma45

Best CPU ever along with P2-400

The Celeron's based on that were even better. You had about a four out of five chance of running perfectly happily at 100 MHz FSB, instead of their stock 66MHz. Which made them into 450MHz processors and the equal of the 450MHz Pentium II. They were spectacular value for money.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Haswell is only 10% better stock, if it can't overclock better, you might as well get all the i7 and i5 being liquidated.

Top Bottom