• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Haswell reviews embargo lifted

Wasn't Intel planning on releasing a fully functional SB-E (8C/16T) before IB-E was released? Perhaps they canned the idea because the 6C version was already running at 150W.

Yea, i'd be highly surprised if even an IB-E variant comes out. Most likely we'll be looking at the same 4/8, 6/12 models but a tad more efficient than the current ones.
The one meaningful upgrade would be H-E, if that ends up supporting DDR4. Which is most likely Q2 2015 or later.

Quite sad.

zou

Not sure what toms hardware is doing with their power consumption tests, but their numbers don't make much sense and they are also the complete opposite of what AnandTech shows.

Edit: Average power also seems like an odd thing to measure, idle/load power makes more sense and makes comparisons easier.

Daingurse

Welp, I guess I'm sticking with LGA 1366, 980x whoop whooop! Only see a GPU upgrade in my immediate future. Good. . .good.

x3sphere

Haswell is only 10% better stock, if it can't overclock better, you might as well get all the i7 and i5 being liquidated.

Unless you want to buy used I can't see the old i7 and i5s being discounted that much, stock is already on the low side when they launch a new CPU.

I know Microcenter has had some deals recently but as usual in store only.

zou

lol, the verge continues its shiny graphica journalism. their haswell article is easily the most useless piece I've ever read, even those infomercial articles are better than that. Intel slides and a bunch of dumb, pedestrian writing. No original content whatsoever and not a single benchmark.

Truly redefining journalism.

lol, the verge continues its shiny graphica journalism. their haswell article is easily the most useless piece I've ever read, even those infomercial articles are better than that. Intel slides and a bunch of dumb, pedestrian writing. No original content whatsoever and not a single benchmark.

Truly redefining journalism.
The Verge is awesome for event coverage and videos but not really the place I would go for "hardcore" PC hardware reviews and test for new CPU's.

Mairu

The Verge is awesome for event coverage and videos but not really the place I would go for "hardcore" PC hardware reviews and test for new CPU's.

Agreed

I'm kinda disappointed and not sure whether I want to stick it out longer with this i5-750 or get it anyways/get something else ;O

Stasis

Welp, guess I'm sticking with my 2500K yet again. Didn't make a jump to a 3570K since it wasn't much improvement and I wanted to see what Haswell would bring.

Aside from really liking the black/gold designs of some Z87 boards there's no reason for me to drop $500 on upgrading. I'll just get a 780 and build a new rig when it's worth it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Fuck this shit. 5% increase in performance, 5% increase in price. Goes great with Nvidia's 25% increase in performance for 25% increase in price. This is a step back for computing.

Hmmm an upgrade to my i7-2600k? or not...

Do you use IGP? Do you use apps that use AVX2? If not, stay clear of Haswell. You might as well as buy a 2600K to replace your 2600K.

The focus on overclocking the OP seems completely irrelevant and pointless. Who honestly needs to overclock anything these days?

I'm glad Intel isn't focusing on such unnecessary enthisast boner matches. Looks like Haswell does what it promised to do - significantly increase graphics performance, significantly lower power consumption (when not overclocking), enabling extremely fast laptops that get far higher battery life.

Overclocking at home reduces frame latency in games. Games that are heavy on CPUs like Civ5 benefit from an OC.

At work, overclocking saves years of engineering time each year. Yes, that's right. Because software builds and FPGA compiles benefit linearly, and those things take hours each time.

Intel has the capacity to sell a much higher clocked CPU for businesses even with 6 cores, but they don't care. AMD is too far behind, so they rather put all R&D into killing ARM.

The 1 thing that it does well is mobile power life, I agree with that. I just don't like this binary choice of desktop or mobile improvements. I should be able to get a 4770K with 6-8 cores with no IGP and better thermal solution so I can overclock to nearly 5.5 GHz.

dagamer34

Neo Member
Welp, guess I'm sticking with my 2500K yet again. Didn't make a jump to a 3570K since it wasn't much improvement and I wanted to see what Haswell would bring.

Aside from really liking the black/gold designs of some Z87 boards there's no reason for me to drop $500 on upgrading. I'll just get a 780 and build a new rig when it's worth it.

Do you really want to upgrade your rig with a new CPU/motherboard every 2 years? That's $375!

vilmer_

The new boards look mighty fancy for sure, but like yourself I'm sticking with my oc'd 2500k it looks like for a while.

teh_pwn

What makes me depressed about this is that Haswell is a tock. Broadwell isn't going to be much better. It's mostly a die shrink rumored with BGA. We *might* get a performance bump in 2015. :/

x3sphere

Yes, I meant with desktop OC for gaming. Stock power consumption looks very impressive.

Looks like it runs very hot when OC'd but power consumption is OK, not exactly impressive though.

I thought this would be a nice upgrade over my i7 920 but now I am having second thoughts. I doubt IB-E will be much better unless it has a reasonably priced 8 core part.

mkenyon

Banned
The focus on overclocking the OP seems completely irrelevant and pointless. Who honestly needs to overclock anything these days?

I'm glad Intel isn't focusing on such unnecessary enthisast boner matches. Looks like Haswell does what it promised to do - significantly increase graphics performance, significantly lower power consumption (when not overclocking), enabling extremely fast laptops that get far higher battery life.
Research before being derisive towards an entire group of people.

OC'ing gives much improved gaming performance across the board. It's even entirely necessary to achieve 16.7ms frame times in a number of titles. If you like to maintain 8.3 frame times, this is even more the case.

Sothpaw

So I am building a pc for the first time ever and starting completely from scratch. I am getting the 4770k with the new mobo. Just to be sure, as long as I don't have a usb 3.0 device plugged in when the computer wakes from a sleep state, I should have no problems? There are no issues with anything inside the pc or usb 2.0 devices? Like my usb keyboard/mouse wont shit out on me when the computer wakes up from sleep right?

Also I can just configure the computer to not enter a sleep state correct?

kortez320

With Nvidia locking down voltage control and Intel coming out with these chips that run so damn hot it's bad time to be an overclocker.

Looks like my golden 2600k is going to last at least one more cycle. Especially considering it's actually faster then all but a couple percentage points of haswell quads.

1-D_FTW

Should be interesting to see TechReports latency benchmarks. The 3770k was pretty great. Let's see how the 4770k manages (or if the 4570 can jump into the 3770k's league on that).

With Nvidia locking down voltage control and Intel coming out with these chips that run so damn hot it's bad time to be an overclocker.

4.4ghz to 4.6ghz are not really what's dissapointing. That heat though certainly is.

Looks like my golden 2600k is going to last at least one more cycle.

I'm out of the loop on that. Is this just arbitrary, or does it have purpose. I think I've seen some on this, but I just assumed it was being done because it's too easy to exceed the power limitations of PCI-Express. And rather than dumb-asses returning cards that "Rebooted", Nvidia just decided to lock power states to prevent excess overclocks that didn't have the power to drive them. Is that wrong of me?

teh_pwn

I bet it will last an entire console cycle. For gaming at least.

I remember at work a few years ago, I was talking with someone with insider Intel knowledge. He told me Intel was trying to prepare OEMs for 20% improvements year over year. I was concerned. Now I wish we had that.

I'm out of the loop on that. Is this just arbitrary, or does it have purpose. I think I've seen some on this, but I just assumed it was being done because it's too easy to exceed the power limitations of PCI-Express. And rather than dumb-asses returning cards that "Rebooted", Nvidia just decided to lock power states to prevent excess overclocks that didn't have the power to drive them. Is that wrong of me?

I'm not familiar with that, but Nvidia is preventing card makers from making 6 GB GTX 780s so you're forced to get a Titan. Why? Because fuck us that's why.

teh_pwn

So what happens if AMD tanks? I hope they get picked up by someone...anyone in this industry. Even Samsung, and they get new material transistors and restore Moore's law with regard to performance.

I also wonder if Intel is secretly prepping to ditch P6 again like they did with netburst.

desu

Sandy Bridge proves once again as a superb purchase, 2 years later and there is barely a reason to upgrade.

Really wanted to get a Haswell for my HTPC but with the mainboard (USB 3.0) revision issue it's quite annoying.

DSN2K

CPU are becoming quite redundant in regards to gaming....and with relatively weak CPU's in the Xbox One and PS4, ports might not be so demanding....

No_Style

hmm I was waiting on these to upgrade from my q6600, kind of disappointed. Should I wait even longer or just get this?

55332.png

Coming from a Q6600, why are you disappointed by this?

I understand why the
insane
folks who are upgrading from year to year are not too thrilled by the lack of significant jump but you should be jumping on this if you're itching for a CPU upgrade.

teh_pwn

55332.png

Coming from a Q6600, why are you disappointed by this?

2500K vs 750 is a tock. Not only is the difference bigger than 3770K->4770K, but 2500K also OCed way better. That particular comparison is also biased towards 4770K. Vast majority of apps should perform the same as previous i7s. 4770K apparently will struggle to exceed 4.4 GHz with a good cooler, whereas 2500K typically got to 4.8 Hz.

Top Bottom