• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel i9 officially announced

Diablos

So I got a core i7 4790, a a GTX 970. When would be a good time for me to upgrade? Using Adobe apps like Photoshop, illustrator, and Dreamweaver seem fine and so far games arent too demanding that i need a 6 core cpu. I was thinking of upgrading in like 2019 or maybe late 2018.
Your CPU is definitely solid for gaming. You'd want to upgrade your GPU first. You're probably going to be fine for quite some time for the kind of apps you're using unless you demand cutting edge tech and performance... then you can buy an 18 core CPU 😀
Intel is thinking ahead, but for the next 3 years at least I cannot see the need to run out and buy a CPU with more than 6 or 8 cores.

I can still get 50-60 fps on high or ultra at 1080p depending on the game with my GTX 1060 and I'm actually using the FX 6300 I bought in 2013.

dr_rus

Then you were out to begin with or have an interesting reason to demand air cooling. Water cooling is cheap these days.

WC is still less reliable than air cooling. It's benefit on CPU is mostly in temperatures and unless you are OCing hard it's unlikely that WC will be better here than a good AC. So basically unless you're OCing you don't really need WC on CPU.

WC is still less reliable than air cooling. It's benefit on CPU is mostly in temperatures and unless you are OCing hard it's unlikely that WC will be better here than a good AC. So basically unless you're OCing you don't really need WC on CPU.

Agreed. There are many great air coolers. Noctua NH-D15 for example takes on many water coolers at half the price while having perfect reliability.

Water cooling marketing campaigns from Corsair and other companies were very aggressive last couple of years and it shows that people start to believe air cooling is no longer an option.

Jinroh

I had a very good cooler and my i7 4790k was constantly hovering between 50 and 80 degrees, if not more. And I often had to clean the dust.

Now I have a corsair h115i and the temps are between 25 and 50 max. Same for the hybrid cooler on my 1080.

Less maintenance, and much better temperatures. From my point of view it was totally worth it, I don't have to worry about overheating anymore.

I had a very good cooler and my i7 4790k was constantly hovering between 50 and 80 degrees, if not more. And I often had to clean the dust.

Now I have a corsair h115i and the temps are between 25 and 50 max. Same for the hybrid cooler on my 1080.

Less maintenance, and much better temperatures. From my point of view it was totally worth it, I don't have to worry about overheating anymore.

What do you mean by overheating? Temperatures between 50 and 80 degrees are fine. And with a wc you will get dust in the radiator.

Which "very good" air cooler did you have? Your H115i is probably 3-4x the cost of that air cooler that you had, unfair comparison.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So when do I upgrade my i7-3770k? I'm actually serious, I'm struggling to see much boosting lately, though I think my next purchase will be a i5-7600k and moving to DDR4. Any recommendations?

ezodagrom

So when do I upgrade my i7-3770k? I'm actually serious, I'm struggling to see much boosting lately, though I think my next purchase will be a i5-7600k and moving to DDR4. Any recommendations?
I'd say it's better to wait for the 8xxx series, which are currently rumoured to arrive in the 2nd half of this year.

Zexen

What do you mean by overheating? Temperatures between 50 and 80 degrees are fine. And with a wc you will get dust in the radiator.

Can't speak for him, but I know that my 4790k really doesn't like sitting around the 80°C mark, no matter what I tried, past this point, crashes happens.

High clock, low clock, VRIN(G), cache frequency, you name it, past 80°C crashes will occur. Heck, I even forced it to overheat at low clock/voltage, crash. The only solution I found was to keep it under 80°C at all cost.

Renekton

Hm I think you shouldn't go from i7 to i5, at least for this case.

Agreed. There are many great air coolers. Noctua NH-D15 for example takes on many water coolers at half the price while having perfect reliability.

Water cooling marketing campaigns from Corsair and other companies were very aggressive last couple of years and it shows that people start to believe air cooling is no longer an option.

Pretty much, heck even less heavy aircoolers like the NH-U14S and even the NH-U12S are within a few degrees at heavy load OC of the NH-D15 providing you add a second fan, the actual difference in final temperature is much closer than people would have you believe.

So I got a core i7 4790, a a GTX 970. When would be a good time for me to upgrade? Using Adobe apps like Photoshop, illustrator, and Dreamweaver seem fine and so far games arent too demanding that i need a 6 core cpu. I was thinking of upgrading in like 2019 or maybe late 2018.

The 4790K is still among the top 3 (top 5 at worst) gaming CPUs on the market, especially if you can overclock it, which shouldn't be hard. You'll be fine for the next couple years.

nubbe

I went back to Noctua from Water since cooling is about as good and more silent and more reliable
Water is overrated

dr_rus

Either go for Ryzen 7 or 6/8 core Skylake-X or wait a year more for the next HEDT update. Upgrading from a 4C/8T CPU to anything less than 6C/12T makes no sense at the moment.

Datschge

Everything I read about it so far seems to be for mobile :/ eg 4cores for 15W
Intel never applied a new microarchitecture across the whole lineup at once, so they may well release it only as a mobile chip first and slowly move from there. Long wait indeed.

Why does it feel like they were both waiting on each other to see what's coming out. I feel like they both were waiting for the longest time to reveal their next tier processors.

Branson

Solidarity, brother!

I have been tempted by a 7700K and a new build. But I'm hoping that I can eek the 2500k all the way to a new micro-architecture heaven. It still holds strong on current gen games.
Try giving that away to a loved one and planning to build soon only for intel to slap you in the face. First world problems bro.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
OQ5dEK5.jpg

Datschge

Why does it feel like they were both waiting on each other to see what's coming out. I feel like they both were waiting for the longest time to reveal their next tier processors.
AMD's CPU roadmap is pretty transparent by now (they are limited by their financial power and the foundries abilities to make surprises beyond it). Intel's roadmap is way more opaque since for the purpose of market segmentation they like to move chip designs around when and where the market appears to require it, not once Intel got them.

KdotIX

Try giving that away to a loved one and planning to build soon only for intel to slap you in the face. First world problems bro.

In that case, you should still be good for the 7700K. It seems as thats the processor of choice for games even with this new line-up.

Durante

i9 starts at the 10 core 7800X, which is also the baseline for 44 PCIe lanes.

Speaking of which, AMD just let slip that ThreadRipper provides 64 lanes. Even though I'm ambivalent towards the high end and it's about the IPC, yadda yadda yadda, I have to admit, that's a sick burn.
Well, it's a crucial point if you need lots of PCIe lanes, but honestly, even as a power user I find it hard to envision a need for more than ~32 at the very most in a desktop.
(16 GPU + 4 Capture Card + 3*4=12 for 3 M.2 modules at full speed)
Now, this would be different if you were going dual-GPU, but I feel like that is on its way out (and has been for years).

And that's before taking into account that X299 chipset gives you at least 20 PCIe lanes on its own IIRC.

Of course, overkill is always the best kill.

In that case, you should still be good for the 7700K. It seems as thats the processor of choice for games even with this new line-up.

Don't really know why I keep reading this on these boards. The 7740X has a higher power rating, higher base clock speed, and omission of the integrated GPU at the same $339 price point of the 7700k. On paper it should be superior for gaming.

Branson

Don't really know why I keep reading this on these boards. The 7740X has a higher power rating, higher base clock speed, and omission of the integrated GPU at the same $339 price point of the 7700k. On paper it should be superior for gaming.
And it's a 6 core too right? I really do wonder if that will be a lot better.

Also won't the new motherboard be more expensive? Would they have the features of a z270?

Datschge

It definitely will be superior for single-core performance (and that is the only reason one would want to stay with only 4 cores) due to the bigger headroom it has thanks to not sharing the die with an iGPU.

It's a 4 core. The 6 core is the 7800X, but that one is clocked 500mhz lower. I feel like the 7740X would be better for now, but the 7800X may be better in the future if games start using 6 cores. A difficult choice for a gamer.

Also won't the new motherboard be more expensive? Would they have the features of a z270?

X299 motherboards will almost assuredly cost more than Z270. I'd expect average prices around $250.

dr_rus

Everything I read about it so far seems to be for mobile :/ eg 4cores for 15W

You sure that it's about CFL? CFL is basically Skylake-3, same process but with updates and same architecture. It makes little sense in mobile since it's power figures won't change much compared to SKL.

Now Cannonlake - this one will definitely start with mobile chips first as it should be a significant gain in perf/watt thanks to a new process.

Top Bottom