• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel i9 officially announced

Tommy DJ

Do you think this is because AMD is a nicer and more enlightened company, or because they are in a weaker position that does not allow them to sell incremental upgrades?

That's really the thing. The reality is that:
- 28 PCIe lanes are most likely not going to trouble people only willing to spring for 6 and 8 core variants. Realistically, most of us could adopt mATX and we wouldn't be any worse off.
- Single threaded performance is still essential. The guy who keeps saying "but I thought 4 cores are all you need?" doesn't seem to understand that when the gulf in single threaded performance is like 10+% due to IPC and clocks, I'm taking single threaded performance over cores unless you're willing to offer both.

Stuff like product differentiation via PCIe lanes and paid softRAID are end user hostile but ultimately pretty inconsequential. What's far more concerning about the X299 launch are:
- Switch from solder to that garbage "high stability" TIM that Intel uses.
- Seemingly rushing out motherboards, if Linus can be trusted about this. It's concerning if Gigabyte has dropped Thunderbolt support, onboard or via add-in card, if they were so rushed that they couldn't get the required certification in time. What this bodes for other motherboard vendors is a big question, Asus' X99 boards had some serious teething issues and still do seeing their Thunderbolt cards were a freaking nightmare to get working.
- Kaby Lake-X fusing off the IGP, meaning no Quick Sync. The justification for Kaby Lake-X is non-existent since it's worse than the consumer option.
- The lack of information about higher core count options.

I don't know how it's a particularly confusing launch since Intel is now offering 6-10 core options on their new HEDT platform like they've always done. I feel it's one of those things that are confusing only because people choose to make it confusing.

Paragon

Do you think this is because AMD is a nicer and more enlightened company, or because they are in a weaker position that does not allow them to sell incremental upgrades?
I mean, they're both large corporations that exist to make money.
But it seems more like AMD's decisions are being made by engineers rather than marketing people - or at least more heavily influenced by them.

It's not just that Intel are doling out incremental upgrades, but that they are locking out so many features just to push people into buying higher priced products.
If you have an i7-5930K ($600) or i7-6850K ($600) and use more than 28 PCIe lanes, you now have to spend $1000 on an i9-7900X if you want to upgrade.
And that's the second time they've done this. The i7-4820K had 40 lanes for $330.
Instead of a lower core-count HEDT part (the 4820K was quad-core) they're just sticking Kaby Lake CPUs with all of its limitations (e.g. 16 PCIe lanes) on a PCB that fits in socket 2066. The only thing that does is double the cost of your motherboard.
Would AMD take a similar position of creating artificial market segmentation like this if they were in Intel's position? Who can say. The point is that they're not.

The performance is close enough, and the price gap large enough, that I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to buy Intel for a large number of applications now.
Nothing they've announced with X299 changes that.
A lot of people seem to forget that Intel's HEDT platforms still lack ECC memory support, while Ryzen and Threadripper both support it.
That rules it out for a lot of use-cases, forcing you to buy a Xeon.

And while I don't necessarily like some of NVIDIA's practices, they have shown that you can still be in the top position and continue to push things forward as much as you can.
They aren't stopping and resting on their laurels like Intel have done.
If anything, they have been delivering larger performance gains than ever over the past few years.
The 900-series was a larger gain over the 700-series than previous generations, and so was the 1000-series.

I don't think there's any sign that AMD are going to change their position any time soon - even if they have been forced into it.
Of course, you should also buy whatever hardware meets your requirements.
If you need the extra IPC that Intel offers and cost is not a factor, I wouldn't suggest you buy something non-optimal just to ensure that there is good competition.
But I would be seriously questioning whether it's necessary to buy Intel right now.

Datschge

Agree, and AMD still has epyc to be release in 2018 with 32 cores on one socket. AMD seems in a good position with their core scalable design, they basically "duct tape" zen cores to get higher core counts, its a very cost effective design.
Epyc is actually AMD's next launching product (Threadripper is not dated yet), coming June 20th.

dr_rus

- Kaby Lake-X fusing off the IGP, meaning no Quick Sync. The justification for Kaby Lake-X is non-existent since it's worse than the consumer option.

It's higher TDP because of killed off iGPU and thus better clocks. The platform itself is also better suited for overclocking. QuickSync support is pretty meaningless in HEDT anyway as it's highly unlikely that anyone willing to pay for S2066 platform will be using it with iGPU.

Durante

That's not "HEDT chips" though, that's Skylake-X specifically. Skylake's main advantage over HWL/BWL is peak clocks.
That's why I said "these HEDT chips". I think that's non-ambiguous in context.

Stuff like product differentiation via PCIe lanes and paid softRAID are end user hostile but ultimately pretty inconsequential. What's far more concerning about the X299 launch are:
- Switch from solder to that garbage "high stability" TIM that Intel uses.
That#s the one thing which really annoys me personally. We'll have to see how it plays for OCing thse chips.

Linus seems really down on Intel's artificial market segmentation and the complete mess they've created with this platform by being reactionary instead of trying to create the best products that they can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

There's no question here that Intel will have the performance crown with this platform - especially if they can hit 4.5GHz on 10 cores with Skylake IPC.
But I have to say that I agree with him.
Their response to Ryzen has been enlightening, and it's clear that AMD's approach to building their platform has been very different.
You don't have AMD locking out features on lower-end parts just to make the higher-end ones more appealing.
Having to spend $1000 to get 44 PCIe lanes now is a joke. It was bad enough when they did that last generation with the $450 6800K having 28 lanes and the $600 6850K having 40.
Of course I'm probably biased in that opinion since I've been very happy with the R7-1700X system I built a few months ago, but I'm not even a little bit regretful that I built the system back then instead of waiting for Skylake-X as originally planned.
JayzTwoCents joins Linus in his critique towards the X299 platform: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNRtGo5IMc

Apparently even motherboards manufacturers weren't aware of the existence of the higher core count X299 CPUs.
Seems Gigabyte may not be alone in their lack of support on some (all?) of their X299 motherboards:

ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME X299

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/specifications/

r-6-eglulf.png

Note
*1 Rampage VI Extreme does not support Intel® Core™ i7-7740X and i5-7640X processors

Trojan X

Banned
Gang. I need to build a brand new PC as my 3930k has died after being OC since 2013. I believe it was my H110i cooler that killed the CPU (I hate that cooler, it was a mistake purchasing it). I believe my motherboard still works but at the same time I think now is the time to update. The problem is this... this X299 seems like a mess.

What do you think I should do?

Do you think I should just purchase another 3930k or another suitable CPU that can fit in the old socket 2011 motherboard and wait it out, or do you think I should go for something entirely new? If something entirely new (new memory, motherboard, cpu, etc) then what motherboard and CPU should that be because this X299 seems like a mess, and considering I use my PC for 3D graphics I believe it would be in my best interest to stick to Intel and Nvidia products due to better 3D graphics software communication? I need to create a Thor or Zeus level PC for speed and ease so any advice you all can give me would be fantastic.

These are quad core KBXs, not HCC SKXs though. It's interesting that they are not supported, I wonder what could be the reason.
My personal guess would be - Gigabyte's genius engineers.
Nothing in my post states otherwise, so I'm unsure how your reply is a counterpoint to my above comment, or the charts I included on the first page of this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238521660&postcount=6

If Gigabyte engineers are "geniuses," then what of Asus or any other manufacturers who might opt to have partial support of X299 parts?

dr_rus

·feist·;240209620 said:
Nothing in my post states otherwise, so I'm unsure how your reply is a counterpoint to my above comment, or the charts I included on the first page of this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238521660&postcount=6

If Gigabyte engineers are "geniuses," then what of Asus or any other manufacturers who might opt to have partial support of X299 parts?

My guess is that lack of KBX support is a cost cutting measure, nothing more. The real question which is unanswered now is will the currect X299 boards be able to support future 14C+ CPUs?

jrcbandit

Gang. I need to build a brand new PC as my 3930k has died after being OC since 2013. I believe it was my H110i cooler that killed the CPU (I hate that cooler, it was a mistake purchasing it). I believe my motherboard still works but at the same time I think now is the time to update. The problem is this... this X299 seems like a mess.

What do you think I should do?

Do you think I should just purchase another 3930k or another suitable CPU that can fit in the old socket 2011 motherboard and wait it out, or do you think I should go for something entirely new? If something entirely new (new memory, motherboard, cpu, etc) then what motherboard and CPU should that be because this X299 seems like a mess, and considering I use my PC for 3D graphics I believe it would be in my best interest to stick to Intel and Nvidia products due to better 3D graphics software communication? I need to create a Thor or Zeus level PC for speed and ease so any advice you all can give me would be fantastic.

I assume you have an X79 motherboard so you can't get a more modern CPU than Ivy Bridge-E, doesn't seem worth it to get another processor so old unless you get one used for real cheap and who knows how long an used processor will last.... Then again, if the price is right you could risk it (sometimes it goes for $70-85 on ebay).

Maybe you should just get a 7700K / Z270 motherboard since the X299 motherboard situation doesn't sound so hot, or Ryzen 1700 with a x370 motherboard? Aren't Ryzen supposed to be really good at applications outside of gaming, especially now that the memory situation has been settled with the AGESA 1.0.0.6 update?

daninthemix

Can someone explain when Turbo Mode 2.0 is actually used? Would it be used on all cores when running a game, for instance?

I do like the look of the 8 core but I'm worried that in real terms I'll be stuck at 3.5Ghz for the most part.

dr_rus

Can someone explain when Turbo Mode 2.0 is actually used? Would it be used on all cores when running a game, for instance?

I do like the look of the 8 core but I'm worried that in real terms I'll be stuck at 3.5Ghz for the most part.

If you mean Turbo Boost 3.0 Max then on SKX it pushes a couple of cores to some highest possible clock when there's only <2 cores loaded at the moment. It's driver also affinitize work to faster cores trying to load them to 100% most of the time.

In modern games it's quite usual to see >4 cores to be loaded and thus TB3M won't work, the CPU will run between it's base and TB2 clocks most of the time. In case of 7820X 8C this means that the CPU will fluctuate between 3.6 and 4.3 GHz in gaming, depending on current cores load, and will push up to 4.5 GHz when there's work for only 1-2 cores.

Renekton

Dam...not looking good for gaming so far, if it loses to 6950X it's gonna get manhandled by the 7700K even more.

Will wait for Anandtech and friends.

Apologies for the bump, but I've Googled this and can't seem to find a definitive answer: any idea when the Intel i9 will proliferate in most machines? As in launch on desktop computers and laptops? The official release is August/September 2017 but I'm not yet seeing machines widely available featuring the tech just yet. Would I be correct in thinking early next year?

Any insight would be appreciated. I live in the UK if that helps.

Apologies for the bump, but I've Googled this and can't seem to find a definitive answer: any idea when the Intel i9 will proliferate in most machines? As in launch on desktop computers and laptops? The official release is August/September 2017 but I'm not yet seeing machines widely available featuring the tech just yet. Would I be correct in thinking early next year?

Any insight would be appreciated. I live in the UK if that helps.

The i9s are not meant for mainstream consumers. They're High End Desktop CPUs, and so are mostly targeted at individuals and businesses who build their own PCs anyway. Otherwise, google 'i9 7900x pc', and you can find some results as is.

The i9s are not meant for mainstream consumers. They're High End Desktop CPUs, and so are mostly targeted at individuals and businesses who build their own PCs anyway. Otherwise, google 'i9 7900x pc', and you can find some results as is.

Ah right. Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Yeah I'm somewhat of a tech noob. Used to have my finger on the pulse in my youth, but have since lost track of all this CPU progress since then. So in terms of a gaming laptop a high-end i7 is my best bet then? And the i9s will never be featured in mainstream gaming laptops?

Gotta ask: were the deficiencies of the i9-7900X compared to the i7-6950X due to the mesh architecture in the former not scaling down well to lower (than ~14) core counts?

Ah right. Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Yeah I'm somewhat of a tech noob. Used to have my finger on the pulse in my youth, but have since lost track of all this CPU progress since then. So in terms of a gaming laptop a high-end i7 is my best bet then? And the i9s will never be featured in mainstream gaming laptops?

The i9s probably won't be, though I wouldn't rule it out entirely. In terms of current gaming laptops the best you'll get is a variant on the i7 7700 (usually HQ, though I think some versions have the full chip available?), at least in terms of Intel. Ryzen's slowly coming to laptops, aside of those CPUs being better for multithreaded tasks (ie, not just gaming), the only example I can find is paired with RX 580, so not exactly the most powerful GPU, though pretty hefty for a laptop. Also such laptops are only available for pre-order right now.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

There are really only 3 mobile CPUs right now, the i5-7300HQ (4c/4t) , i7-7700HQ (4c/8t), and the i7-7820HK (4c/8t/overclockable to 4.4-ish GHz).

6-core Coffee Lake CPUs are also coming mobile, but those are months away.

i9 will never ever be a laptop thing, they aren't even meant for gaming desktop setups.

The i9s probably won't be, though I wouldn't rule it out entirely. In terms of current gaming laptops the best you'll get is a variant on the i7 7700 (usually HQ, though I think some versions have the full chip available?), at least in terms of Intel. Ryzen's slowly coming to laptops, aside of those CPUs being better for multithreaded tasks (ie, not just gaming), the only example I can find is paired with RX 580, so not exactly the most powerful GPU, though pretty hefty for a laptop. Also such laptops are only available for pre-order right now.

There are really only 3 mobile CPUs right now, the i5-7300HQ (4c/4t) , i7-7700HQ (4c/8t), and the i7-7820HK (4c/8t/overclockable to 4.4-ish GHz).

6-core Coffee Lake CPUs are also coming mobile, but those are months away.

i9 will never ever be a laptop thing, they aren't even meant for gaming desktop setups.

Thanks for the responses guys! Super interesting and I appreciate the insight. I have a pretty powerful gaming laptop now but I was thinking of upgrading in about 6 months so basically wanted a bleeding edge high-end CPU for around then to make it worth the upgrade. Your responses are super helpful however so I'll keep a look-out for the specific CPUs you mentioned around the time.

At present, I can run Doom at blazing speed on this machine so I'm in no rush. This machine has handled pretty much everything I've thrown at it so far (i5-7300HQ/GeForce GTX 1050 2GB).

The window I'm looking at is 6 to 12 months for an upgrade. Sounds like waiting for a six-core CPU or super high-end Intel i7 might be my best option then.

Steel

Banned
Thanks for the responses guys! Super interesting and I appreciate the insight. I have a pretty powerful gaming laptop now but I was thinking of upgrading in about 6 months so basically wanted a bleeding edge high-end CPU for around then to make it worth the upgrade. Your responses are super helpful however so I'll keep a look-out for the specific CPUs you mentioned around the time.

At present, I can run Doom at blazing speed on this machine so I'm in no rush. This machine has handled pretty much everything I've thrown at it so far (i5-7300HQ/GeForce GTX 1050 2GB).

The window I'm looking at is 6 to 12 months for an upgrade. Sounds like waiting for a six-core CPU or super high-end Intel i7 might be my best option then.

That gaming laptop you have now is pretty much new tech. There's better stuff out there, the gpu is pretty low end, but it's still more than good enough for quite some time.

Either case, Ryzen's mobile processors should be pretty good for a reasonable price considering their desktop line is already more energy efficient than intel's stuff. Should be out around the time you're thinking about upgrading, you really should prioritize a better gpu if you're upgrading for gaming, though.

Wait for cannonlake and see how AMD responses to it

I'm gonna guess AMD goes with a price drop and then releases something later.

Aurizen

There won't be any for laptops? I've been holding out on getting a laptop with hopes one with more than 4 cores will happen..

K.Jack

In six to eight months we'll be taking about laptops with 6-core Coffee CPUs and Nvidia's Volta.

AMD's Ryzen is not going to make significant, tangible penetration into the high-end laptop market. Intel is too entrenched with the major partners for it to happen.

There won't be any for laptops? I've been holding out on getting a laptop with hopes one with more than 4 cores will happen..

6-core Coffee/Cannon are on the way to laptops, they just won't be i9s though, that's what we were talking about there.

Steel

Banned

No, this stuff is for business, not for gaming. If you want laptop stuff with more the 4 cores, wait for AMD's mobile ryzens and/or coffee-lake.

In six to eight months we'll be taking about laptops with 6-core Coffee CPUs and Nvidia's Volta.

AMD's Ryzen is not going to make significant, tangible penetration into the high-end laptop market. Intel is too entrenched with the major partners for it to happen.

Ryzen will have some laptops out there with it inside, and the efficiency curve of Ryzen makes it quite appealing for laptops and it won't be bothered by the 4 ghz ceiling on the desktop processors. By most accounts Coffeelake won't be much more efficient than skylake, and will have about the same IPC. Who cares about the market penetration, what matters is value.

Aurizen

6-core Coffee/Cannon are on the way to laptops, they just won't be i9s though, that's what we were talking about there.

No, this stuff is for business, not for gaming. If you want laptop stuff with more the 4 cores, wait for AMD's mobile ryzens and/or coffee-lake.

Ryzen will have some laptops out there with it inside, and the efficiency curve of Ryzen makes it quite appealing for laptops and it won't be bothered by the 4 ghz ceiling on the desktop processors. By most accounts Coffeelake won't be much more efficient than skylake, and will have about the same IPC. Who cares about the market penetration, what matters is value.

I guess the next HP Pavillion that has coffee lake with 6 cores I will claim.

Neith

Banned
Just upgraded to a 2600K. I don't have time for Intel and Win 10 atm. Too much money out the door and too much hassle.

That gaming laptop you have now is pretty much new tech. There's better stuff out there, the gpu is pretty low end, but it's still more than good enough for quite some time.

Either case, Ryzen's mobile processors should be pretty good for a reasonable price considering their desktop line is already more energy efficient than intel's stuff. Should be out around the time you're thinking about upgrading, you really should prioritize a better gpu if you're upgrading for gaming, though.

Thanks man, you actually made me feel much better about my recent purchase. Basically what happened was I was after the same model with a high-end Intel i7 and it wasn't in stock for according to them "four weeks" so I caved and got an i5. I've been kicking myself for days since I could have just waited and opted for the higher spec model, but you're totally right. I've downloaded loads of games on this thing, really high-end stuff like Doom, the new Unreal Tournament and so on and they fly. So I think you're right. It'll be super fine for a while.

Thanks dude. Sounds like that's what I should look for around the time then. I think what I have is good enough for now. I don't see anything blasting Doom out of the water in the next 12 months so I should be good to go for a year or so. Every game runs like a dream on this thing so far, but when I eventually upgrade I'll keep your amazing insight and advice in mind.

Graciaus

I don't know how to do anything fancy with PC gaming but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it. I feel like my i5 4670k is going to be outdated soon though.

K.Jack

Thanks man, you actually made me feel much better about my recent purchase. Basically what happened was I was after the same model with a high-end Intel i7 and it wasn't in stock for according to them "four weeks" so I caved and got an i5. I've been kicking myself for days since I could have just waited and opted for the higher spec model, but you're totally right. I've downloaded loads of games on this thing, really high-end stuff like Doom, the new Unreal Tournament and so on and they fly. So I think you're right. It'll be super fine for a while.

Thanks dude. Sounds like that's what I should look for around the time then. I think what I have is good enough for now. I don't see anything blasting Doom out of the water in the next 12 months so I should be good to go for a year or so. Every game runs like a dream on this thing so far, but when I eventually upgrade I'll keep your amazing insight and advice in mind.
I'll be doing an entirely new gaming laptop thread in 2018, when the new CPUs and GPUs have all dropped, so keep an eye out.

I don't know how to do anything fancy with PC gaming but that doesn't mean I can't still enjoy it. I feel like my i5 4670k is going to be outdated soon though.

Unlikely. I'm expecting to use my 5820K for more than 5 years just like my i7-950. Intel hasn't shown anything in terms of real performance increases and all Ryzen does is catch AMD up with Intel, it doesn't surpass Intel in any way save pricing.

Top Bottom