• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel kills the Pentium and Celeron brand, but the new name...

winjer

Gold Member

Today, Intel introduces a new processor for the essential product space: Intel Processor. The new offering will replace the Intel Pentium and Intel Celeron branding in the 2023 notebook product stack.

With this new, streamlined brand architecture, Intel will continue to sharpen its focus on its flagship brands: Intel® Core™, Intel® Evo™ and Intel vPro®. In addition, this update streamlines brand offerings across PC segments to enable and enhance Intel customer communication on each product’s value proposition, while simplifying the purchasing experience for customers.

About Intel Processor: Intel Processor will serve as the brand name for multiple processor families, helping to simplify the product purchase experience for consumers. Intel will continue to deliver the same products and benefits within segments. The brand leaves unchanged Intel’s current product offerings and Intel’s product roadmap.

“Whether for work or play, the importance of the PC has only become more apparent as the torrid pace of technological development continues to shape the world. Intel is committed to driving innovation to benefit users, and our entry-level processor families have been crucial for raising the PC standard across all price points. The new Intel Processor branding will simplify our offerings so users can focus on choosing the right processor for their needs.”

-Josh Newman, Intel vice president and interim general manager of Mobile Client Platforms

Yes, you read that right. The new name for the Pentium and Celeron range is "Intel Processor"

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Jennings

How many people in here started with a Pentium II or III?
The first computer I built with my own money was a 386DX with 4 megabytes of ram and a 30meg Maxtor hard drive.

The first computer I used was in grade school and it was some sort of Commodore with tape cassette drives.

The first Pentium I owned was a standard Pentium.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yes, you read that right. The new name for the Pentium and Celeron range is "Intel Processor"

Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sounds hilariously bad in so many ways. So, you know those super slow processors in the cheapest of laptops yep, those are "Intel Processors" right there. If you're going to create a branding that sounds like it associates with your entire range of products, you associate with the poorest performing parts, obviously.

Why not a "essential" series of processors, or something along those lines.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Fucking love the Ars Technica article on this. I don't know if they are trying to be low key snarky about how little the naming helps anything but it sure straddles the the line.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/the-new-intel-processor-will-replace-pentium-and-celeron-cpu-branding-in-2023/ said:
Intel announced today that its laptop chips will shed the Pentium and Celeron branding beginning in Q1 of 2023, to be replaced by "Intel Processor." The word "Processor" has a capital P so that you don't confuse an Intel Processor with an Intel processor.
[SNIP]
We don't know how many Intel Processors are launching in Q1 of 2023 or which Intel processor architecture they will use. Intel also wouldn't tell us whether low-end desktop Intel processors will become Intel Processors in the future (a company spokesperson would only tell us that Intel has no low-end desktop CPUs slated to launch in Q1 of 2023). However, Intel processors that currently use the Pentium and Celeron branding will continue to do so—they won't be rebranded as Intel Processors retroactively.

I, too, look forward to the release of future Intel Processors and Intel processors.

LordCBH

So you drop a long running, well known branding (Pentium) and replace it with the most generic thing possible.

Waiting on the Weird Al song “It’s All About the Intel Processors!”

DaGwaphics

Fucking love the Ars Technica article on this. I don't know if they are trying to be low key snarky about how little the naming helps anything but it sure straddles the the line.

I, too, look forward to the release of future Intel Processors and Intel processors.

If you are going to make a name that generic, at least make the namesake product your halo product. In that case, at least the Intel Processor would be associated with a very expensive, well performing chip.

winjer

Gold Member
"Hey, what processor do you have in your PC?"

"Intel Processor"

"Ya, but which one?"

"Intel"

"I know that, but which one?"

"The Intel Processor'

It can get worse.

- I just bought a new processor.

- Which one?

- A 12700K.

- Is that an Intel Processor?

- No.

- But it's made by Intel?

- Yes.

- And it's a Processor?

- Yes.

- So it's an Intel Processor?

- No.

- What the F***.

Xyphie

Call any lowest-end processor containing your high performance core "Core i1 12345", and any processor containing just the efficiency cores "Intel Atom 12345". There, I just solved your naming scheme.

Kuranghi

This is very funny to me because average consumers coming to where I work to buy computers (not from me, I'm a telly man) are already hyper confused by the number of different Intel processors that exist. You need to do like an hour of online research before buying just to know whats good and whats slightly worse/shite for the same money.

People sometimes ask me about buying a laptop and I say well I'm a telly guy but I'm a big computer nerd so I can probably answer some questions while we wait for the relevant store staff and then they ask whats better between Celeron or Silver or Gold or whatever and I'm like:

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

lol I should preface "computer nerd" with "but I only buy high end parts so I have no clue about any of this £200 laptop/chromebook shite".

At least it is in line with the streamlining of logos.
Branding generally really seems on a path of devolution which actually isn't bad per se since i7 12347UFK means nothing but calling your processor line Processor is a bit too much, or too little, and replaces the only thing that kind of meant something.

Last edited:
Instead of labeling that computers have garbage celeron, they are just going to say it has an “intel processor”. Smart.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Instead of labeling that computers have garbage celeron, they are just going to say it has an “intel processor”. Smart.
Yup, Intel realized they've made celeron into a synonyms for hot garbage to even general consumers, so instead of fixing the issue with their low tier lines, they are just rebranding them.

Drew1440

How many people in here started with a Pentium II or III?
First system my parents had was a Cyrix-based PC running Windows 98. The first laptop was a Celeron (Toshiba A60).

Have a lot of memories of Intel Celerons, pretty much all RM school PC's in the UK used them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It can get worse.

- I just bought a new processor.

- Which one?

- A 12700K.

- Is that an Intel Processor?

- No.

- But it's made by Intel?

- Yes.

- And it's a Processor?

- Yes.

- So it's an Intel Processor?

- No.

- What the F***.
Maybe at head office it was super simple.

- Hey everyone, execs have asked us to come up with a new cpu name

- Hey finance department, how much budget and free lunches do we get?

- $0

- Hey execs, we present you with the "Intel Processor"

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Maybe at head office it was super simple.

- Hey everyone, execs have asked us to come up with a new cpu name

- Hey finance department, how much budget and free lunches do we get?

- $0

- Hey execs, we present you with the "Intel Processor"

This reminds me of a much stupider story about a UK university paying a company hundreds of thousands to come up with new names and they basically came back with "X University" and "University of X" :LOL: I can't find the article/story now of course so I possibly dreamed it I don't dream so its not that, maybe it was satire.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yup, Intel realized they've made celeron into a synonyms for hot garbage to even general consumers, so instead of fixing the issue with their low tier lines, they are just rebranding them.
The issue with Celeron isn't even necessarily Celeron as much as the builds they are placed in. Sure they are budget processors and as such are limited. But hardware manufacturers also usually dump them into memory and bandwidth starved budget boxes with low amounts of the slowest RAM available, low performance storage, etc. The CPU got the bad rap, but usually the whole box is crap.

Celeron chips aren't really bad for what they are. Nobody should expect good performance from them in a top end gaming rig or anything but for general use they can perform well enough if you give them enough breathing room with the rest of the hardware. But if you're going to properly size RAM and storage it would probably be worth it to just get a core i3 for an extra 60 bucks or so.

GloveSlap

The Pentium name could still be an asset if done right. Maybe simplify the naming schemes a little and etch a nice logo on the processor like AMD does.

Last edited:

Denton

Intel has such lame names, this is just par for the course. Pentium was not great, celeron was somehow worse, then the core idiocy, and now just...Intel Processor. Lmao.

Meanwhile AMD keeps rocking it, from Duron and Athlon to Xeon and Ryzen.

Top Bottom