• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

Mr_Brit

Banned
cartman414 said:
For those of yous waiting for whatever reason:

Sandy Bridge E scheduled for Q4 2011: http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21622-after-extreme-i7-990x-comes-sandy-bridge-e
Ivy Bridge to first hit 1155, one year from now: http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21621-ivy-bridge-22nm-sticks-with-socket-1155

I wonder what's the point of Sandy Bridge E coming so close to Ivy Bridge. But we'll see, I guess.
Why are Intel delaying it so much? You might as well wait for Ivy Bridge instead of getting SB E.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
with all these new iterations of cpus coming, will devs have enough time to utilize them to their fullest extent or are these mainly marketed to non-gamers?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Corky said:
with all these new iterations of cpus coming, will devs have enough time to utilize them to their fullest extent or are these mainly marketed to non-gamers?
Most devs can barely utilise more than two cores so the main benefit of these new CPUs is higher single threaded performance.

Corky

Mr_Brit said:
Most devs can barely utilise more than two cores so the main benefit of these new CPUs is higher single threaded performance.

ah gotcha

bee

well that was easy, changing 4 settings in the bios got me 4.4ghz, took about 45 seconds :p

has anyone else built one on a msi or asus board? if so did you like the cpu socket lever and the noise it makes :D

Corky

Given how easy SB seem to overclock, how come they didn't just release the cpus already clocked higher than they are?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Corky said:
Given how easy SB seem to overclock, how come they didn't just release the cpus already clocked higher than they are?
Probably so they can release higher clocked versions when Bulldozer launches in April.

Mr_Brit said:

That really hasn't been true for at least a year now. High profile games making good use of more than two cores are the norm now, not the exception.

"has anyone else built one on a msi or asus board? if so did you like the cpu socket lever and the noise it makes :D"

I felt like I was murdering my CPU when I pushed the lever down on a Gigabyte. You could hear it scream for help.

Mr_Brit

Banned
brain_stew said:
That really hasn't been true for at least a year now. High profile games making good use of more than two cores are the norm now, not the exception.
I said most, not most 'high profile'. Fact is most games released nowadays barely use more than two threads, properly using a quad core CPU is still the exception and not the norm.

Mr_Brit said:
I said most, not most 'high profile'. Fact is most games released nowadays barely use more than two threads, properly using a quad core CPU is still the exception and not the norm.

Most games ported from the 360/PS3 or developed with 360/PS3/PC as target platforms will use all your cores.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Yes they will.
Are you trolling or just seriously misinformed? I take it to be the former as I really can't imagine someone seriously thinking that any console port will automatically use all your CPU cores.

Most console ports will use 2 cores at most except for GTA4 which will shit itself if you don't have a quad.

The only game in recent memory that properly utilizes more than 2 cores is Bad Company 2 but that wasn't a console port, strictly speaking.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
But any recent high profile game that can potentially be bottle-necked by a C2D+ class CPU will use the additional cores. With the exception of SC2...

I think Sandy Bridge E may be the only big enthusiast desktop socket during the Sandy/Ivy generation, much like Lynnfield was pretty much the only choice for the consumer during Nehalem. And both were preceded several months by the original sockets for each: Bloomfield (LGA 1366, i7-9xx) for Nehalem representing the high-end, and now, standard Sandy Bridge representing the mainstream. Furthermore, and this is where I begin reaching, the 32 nm die shrink only applied to the mainstream for the mobile and value segments, and the Extreme 6-core and Xeon server segments. I'm beginning to draw the conclusion that Ivy Bridge won't serve the high-end market, which would then be left to Sandy Bridge E, save of course for the high-end mobile segment, while the mainstream gets the most out of Ivy Bridge. Then, when Intel proceeds to its next tock, code named Haswell, the high-end market gets first dibs once again as it did with Nehalem, and the cycle repeats.

Hope that made some kind of sense.

Laekon

When will these CPU's hit the laptop market? Or is the Ivory Bridge the mobile version of the Sandy Bridge CPU's?

C.T.

Laekon said:
When will these CPU's hit the laptop market? Or is the Ivory Bridge the mobile version of the Sandy Bridge CPU's?

nope, ivy bridge is a 22nm sandy bridge and won't come out before 2012. I think sandy bridge mobil processors are already available.

Top Bottom