• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intelligent System is getting into figure production business

Insaniac

If they could somehow produce for me Olivia as a Blademaster, my one favorite character ( and Lucina) from the Awakening game I would buy it.

Here's some random deviant art, an approximation i guess.

freckles2_by_tsynth-d86ohks.png

Neotank is balls lol. Where is my War Tank?

Haha, it'd look like a sex toy or something:

mqdefault.jpg

casiopao

If they could somehow produce for me Olivia as a Blademaster, my one favorite character ( and Lucina) from the Awakening game I would buy it.

Here's some random deviant art, an approximation i guess.

Haha, it'd look like a sex toy or something:

mqdefault.jpg

Thats why i don't really like Neotank..... at least it looks much better than that monstrosity which is Mega Tank lol.

48-Update_6-43.png

Wartank is the true MVP.^_^

Oh is that what War Tanks look like in the battle animation? I turned those off a long time ago to make battles go faster tbh :< looks like someone stuck a bunch of black cannons on treads. But admittedly the unit balance in Days of Ruin is much better than the unit balance in prior games.

Now I want minis of all the units in Advance Wars T_T I want a DoR carrier that can flick launch Seaplanes like a catapult or a slingshot. I want map tiles that can fit together like puzzle pieces so I can make my own maps and play with the minis all over them.

Edit: And tbh, the charm with neo tanks is how ridiculous they are. Both in terms of appearance and also in terms of balance. A neo tank isn't much stronger than an md tank, and md tank + arty will beat a neo tank pretty clean, but the 6 movement and bigger ammo stock are too good.

Oh is that what War Tanks look like in the battle animation? I turned those off a long time ago to make battles go faster tbh :< looks like someone stuck a bunch of black cannons on treads. But admittedly the unit balance in Days of Ruin is much better than the unit balance in prior games.

Now I want minis of all the units in Advance Wars T_T I want a DoR carrier that can flick launch Seaplanes like a catapult or a slingshot. I want map tiles that can fit together like puzzle pieces so I can make my own maps and play with the minis all over them.

Edit: And tbh, the charm with neo tanks is how ridiculous they are. Both in terms of appearance and also in terms of balance. A neo tank isn't much stronger than an md tank, and md tank + arty will beat a neo tank pretty clean, but the 6 movement and bigger ammo stock are too good.

Your idea is great. Advance Wars can be made into a miniature wargame like War Machine and Warhammer if IS can pull it off. But first, IS seriously need to make a game for AW on NX. I hope the team can do something to save AW, like what they did for FE a few years ago.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
FIGURE-009329.jpg

C'mon here. U are not even trying.
This is a great figure. But the point I'm making is that IS themselves is pushing the sexualized characters.

Even for Fire Emblem, we had Marth, Caeda, Elise Nendoroids, along with the Lucina figma that are really innocuous.
These are great figures. Especially the Nedoroids, but the Lucina Figma too. It's just depressing that IS - the game's publisher - only makes figures like this,

And is now making Camilla, basically publicly admitting to the series shift to waifu pandering nonsense.

Why have we reached a point where we pander to people who buy waifu figures?

Because market change?The money they can make from simply selling the game to hardcore purist is dwindling. If they wanted to survive, they need to adapt and this figures is one of the way.
And I quote myself:

Because money is the real reason, but it's depressing. I get that this stuff happens, but to see it done by IS makes it weigh a bit more heavily.

The consumers speak for themselves, so I admit defeat in that regard, but it is depressing, yes.
I fully understand why, it's just... disheartening. I get that this has been a thing in the figure world for a long time, but Fire Emblem is - or was - hardly your average moe Japanese girl anime, and a family friendly Nintendo franchise, at that. To see the two overlap under IS's own umbrella is, yes, depressing. Being aware of the marketing reasons only makes it worse in this regard.

It's not about them making what I don't like and ignoring all other figures as people have been so quick to point out. It's about them making what I - and many others, but not as many as the anime moe crowd I guess - don't like and what that symbolically means for the franchise and the direction it's gone in.

woopWOOP

waifu schmaifu

I want a lineup of FE Lords. Hell even better throw some bosses into the mix

Gimme a hugeass Medeus statue
hqdefault.jpg

Mael

Good for them if that means a franchise I once liked is still viable.
Outside of Smash I don't think I'll ever encounter the characters though.
If they keep the otaku route I won't be caught dead playing the games.

Good for them if that means a franchise I once liked is still viable.
Outside of Smash I don't think I'll ever encounter the characters though.
If they keep the otaku route I won't be caught dead playing the games.

yeshrug.png

your loss. us old FE fans are playing conquest while you shout at clouds.

I bought a Tharja and I'll buy a Camilla.

I really do not feel any particular shame or lamenting for what the series has turned into as the previous games never appealed to me. Whatever it hit in Awakening worked for me so I bought into it.

You can also be a fan of good games as well as sexy girl figures from those games and realize it's pandering and kinda objectifying. I do.

Draxal

This is a great figure. But the point I'm making is that IS themselves is pushing the sexualized characters.

These are great figures. Especially the Nedoroids, but the Lucina Figma too. It's just depressing that IS - the game's publisher - only makes figures like this,

And is now making Camilla, basically publicly admitting to the series shift to waifu pandering nonsense.

And I quote myself:

I fully understand why, it's just... disheartening. I get that this has been a thing in the figure world for a long time, but Fire Emblem is - or was - hardly your average moe Japanese girl anime, and a family friendly Nintendo franchise, at that. To see the two overlap under IS's own umbrella is, yes, depressing. Being aware of the marketing reasons only makes it worse in this regard.

It's not about them making what I don't like and ignoring all other figures as people have been so quick to point out. It's about them making what I - and many others, but not as many as the anime moe crowd I guess - don't like and what that symbolically means for the franchise and the direction it's gone in.

1. They've only made 1 figure so far, so you're being pretty premature here.
2. Sigrun's a popular character for PoR/RD (enough that they gave her of all characters a marker card in Fire Emblem Cipher). And there are two reasons that she's really popular. It's like how they pander to all the fujoshi fans in Fire Emblem with giving enough subtext for Raven/Lucius and Soren/Ike fans. I just think they're getting rid of all the subtext now, and screwing all discretion in that regard (and providing an ingame fujoshi character in Eponine/Nina), but let's not act like they never pandered to the fanbase before.
3. I wouldn't call old school Fire Emblem family fantasy, some of the shit that went in 4 and 5 is extremely dark that I don't think they can do those stories again, without washing it with soap.

Giolon

Honestly, judging from that pic, Camilla looks even better.

Prototypes are one thing. Their translation to mass produced product is another. Until the final release is in people's hands, we won't know how it'll turn out bc we don't know who's making it.

But yes, the prototype sculpt is very nicely detailed! Her face looks a bit weird though.

Mael

yeshrug.png

your loss. us old FE fans are playing conquest while you shout at clouds.

Good for you.
I'm no fan of fanservice myself I'll play something else, it's not like I don't have a backlog I could stretch for decades.
Perfectly happy having missed the last one where you get to pay extra to get the whole package.
Then again I do have PoR and RD...

I bought a Tharja and I'll buy a Camilla.

I really do not feel any particular shame or lamenting for what the series has turned into as the previous games never appealed to me. Whatever it hit in Awakening worked for me so I bought into it.

You can also be a fan of good games as well as sexy girl figures from those games and realize it's pandering and kinda objectifying. I do.

Heh, that's where I jumped ship.
Whatever they did in that one I really didn't like.
I have no idea why or how.
Probably the constant fanservice DLC killed my interest :/

Good for you.
I'm no fan of fanservice myself I'll play something else, it's not like I don't have a backlog I could stretch for decades.
Perfectly happy having missed the last one where you get to pay extra to get the whole package.
Then again I do have PoR and RD...

Meaningless statement from someone who hasn't played the game.

Wanderer5

Good Smile Company/Max Factory were the ones that did those two figures. Camilla is currently the only figure with IS slapped on as the manufacturer, so too early there lol.

Mael

I won't lie, I may not like the design on display for the concept in the OP,
I like the execution!
Meaningless statement from someone who hasn't played the game.
Believe me the trailers were actually a bigger factor of me never touching the game than the splitting the games in chunks ever did.
each route in Fates is a complete game, no less complete than PoR/RD

lmao @ this stubbornness.

You could read whole posts instead of flying the handle every time you see something you have a problem with.

Believe me the trailers were actually a bigger factor of me never touching the game than the splitting the games in chunks ever did.

I don't care about your reasons for skipping a game.

I care about you spreading nonsense and misinformation.

Mael

I don't care about your reasons for skipping a game.

I care about you spreading nonsense and misinformation.

Yes and next you're going to accuse me of saying that Fire Emblem is going full pandering or something.
You probably think that the special edition package with the ending dlc was them doing a favor too or something.
Enjoy your waifus and stop caring about other people's opinions so much.

I do read whole posts. It's just I have no affinity with taking people who are wrong seriously.

photo.jpg

ohlawd

holy shit man you know you can keep being wrong and keep it to yourself but having others read all this misinformation from you ain't sitting right with me

Sami+

Of course they would start by pushing out the boobie lady.

Fucking awful design but hey gotta get those virgin otaku am I right

Mael

holy shit man you know you can keep being wrong and keep it to yourself but having others read all this misinformation from you ain't sitting right with me

From your perspective it's 2 separate projects being sold at the same time.
I'm only seeing 1 project being sold in at least 3 different SKUs(4 or more if you look at the special editions).
It worked for them, I won't begrudge them for that.
They probably planned PoR to go farther than they were able to do and had to finish the project in RD similarly.
I'm also not fooling myself into thinking that they really did double the work to manage the achievement of releasing to totally separate games at the same time either.
From a project management pov, it's probably marginally more complicated to do what they did here than what they did before but to call it 2 different games is all kind of hilarious.

Of course they would start by pushing out the boobie lady.

Fucking awful design but hey gotta get those virgin otaku am I right

They know their priorities.

GenG3000

Yes and next you're going to accuse me of saying that Fire Emblem is going full pandering or something.
You probably think that the special edition package with the ending dlc was them doing a favor too or something.

Reducing Fates' gameplay achievements to waifus and pandering is quite sad. Conquest and Revelations are the most complex and customizable entries in the franchise.

The game has characters for everyone. If you don't like the animu characters you still have cool, old-school characters like Saizo, Kage, Leo, Takumi, Ryoma or Xander, to name a few. I don't like this waifu thing myself and still think it's one of the best entries.

Clov

I understand what you're trying to say, but both of those figures were made by Max Factory. The Camilla figure is the first, and so far, only figure that's being pushed under the label of Intelligent Systems themselves.

Mael

Reducing Fates' gameplay achievements to waifus and pandering is quite sad. Conquest and Revelations are the most complex and customizable entries in the franchise.

The game has characters for everyone. If you don't like the animu characters you still have cool, old-school characters like Saizo, Kage, Leo, Takumi, Ryoma or Xander, to name a few. I don't like this waifu thing myself and still think it's one of the best entries.

That's actually more interesting than anything I've seen of the game.
The 3DS Demo pretty much killed any interest I had in the game and seeing how I couldn't be arsed to even finish Awakening I skipped that one after the waifu centered marketing push near release.
I never had that little interest in a FE since before Fire Emblem was released.

They seem to have more success now than ever, if that means they have to target someone that isn't me.
By all mean do that.
Better to have a property I have no interest in that people can keep enjoying than something catered to my every need that dies because I'm the only market.

Boy, there sure are a lot of complaints about a "waifu" figure being released rather than *insert obscure male character* one. That's simply the way it is with the Japanese figure market, male figures are pretty rare and ones that aren't Free/Ranbu or those other all male franchises aimed at girls are almost non-existent. There are countless male characters from games/anime over the years that I'd want a figure of and it never happens, this isn't some great conspiracy by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo.

Just for context, there hasn't been a single non-Figma or prize figure of Kirito from Sword Art Online released despite countless new Asuna ones every year. That's how rare it is to see a male figure, the MC of one of the biggest anime series can't even get one.

Stop putting words in my mouth and maybe I'll ignore you whining about people calling you out on your bullshit.

Heh, that's where I jumped ship.
Whatever they did in that one I really didn't like.
I have no idea why or how.
Probably the constant fanservice DLC killed my interest :/

I mean, that's fair. And it makes sense; if it went in a direction you didn't care for and focused on things you found distasteful or not up your alley then sure. I've stopped playing series due to certain factors.

It's just that overt sexualization has never been one of those factors for me. I'll admit it's problematic. I'll fully support and buy games that have strong and non-sexualized female protagonists. I've Kickstartered a number of those games. I won't cry foul if an outfit gets changed for localization. I won't lose any sleep if Senran Kagura stops coming out here due to poor sales or push back from people who don't care for it's sexualization.

But if I play Xenoblade Chronicles X and one of the outfits is just a bikini top for my character, then I'll probably spend my entire 80 hours playing in that damn top. Which is what happened.

And I'll buy that Camilla figure.

I am a human, a multitude of conflicting stances and opinions. It's fair to be one, not everyone who buys these things and likes the sexy girl statues drools over them and jerks off to them while posting hateful shit on Twitter to empowered women. Sometimes I just like a sexy girl statue to sit on a shelf and I'll see it and go "Neat" occasionally.

OVDRobo

Interesting that IS are publishing the figure themselves. Shame about the character choice, but market realities are almost certainly the reason for it. Most people don't want figures of video game characters on display and those that do have seemingly got over the the issue of it being 'embarrassing' or 'weird' and jumped straight to the other end of the scale.

People are free to spend their money on what they want, though I'll stick to Gundams personally.

I don't think I can think of a FE character I'm really attached to enough to want to own a figure of them. As of recent, the characters have been getting increasingly shallow and out of all the older ones, I'd maybe go for an Ike and that's about it.

Mael

Stop putting words in my mouth and maybe I'll ignore you whining about people calling you out on your bullshit.
bla, bla, bla.
There's an OT on the Community side if you prefer living in your bubble or you can keep being aggressive like a hound that smelled meat.

I mean, that's fair. And it makes sense; if it went in a direction you didn't care for and focused on things you found distasteful or not up your alley then sure. I've stopped playing series due to certain factors.

I'll add that I'm perfectly aware that the angle that was appealing to me was a commercial dead-end.
There's no game like that on the market and the few that tried usually ended in bitter failure and closing of studios.
At least in this case I may get some remake where the stuffs I have issues with may be dialed down.

It's just that overt sexualization has never been one of those factors for me. I'll admit it's problematic. I'll fully support and buy games that have strong and non-sexualized female protagonists. I've Kickstartered a number of those games. I won't cry foul if an outfit gets changed for localization. I won't lose any sleep if Senran Kagura stops coming out here due to poor sales or push back from people who don't care for it's sexualization.

It's an issue for me in that this is one of the deal breakers for me as far as games go.
It's pretty much this kind of fanservice that pushed me out of the Fatal Frame series forever, then again I didn't expect much from much from them to begin with (by god FF2 on wii is boring incarnate).
I usually don't go farther than not buying something I find repulsive, communities usually do that for me without me having to lift a finger lol.

But if I play Xenoblade Chronicles X and one of the outfits is just a bikini top for my character, then I'll probably spend my entire 80 hours playing in that damn top. Which is what happened.

My whole team is in tux for the last 20 hours or so.
What can I say I like classy.

And I'll buy that Camilla figure.

I am a human, a multitude of conflicting stances and opinions. It's fair to be one, not everyone who buys these things and likes the sexy girl statues drools over them and jerks off to them while posting hateful shit on Twitter to empowered women. Sometimes I just like a sexy girl statue to sit on a shelf and I'll see it and go "Neat" occasionally.

I hope I didn't give the impression that was how I viewed people who were appreciative of this.
I won't buy it, it's not the worst figurine out there, it doesn't paint its owner as a horrible GG misogynist either.
Just not my thing.
I like the execution though.

It's an issue for me in that this is one of the deal breakers for me as far as games go.
It's pretty much this kind of fanservice that pushed me out of the Fatal Frame series forever, then again I didn't expect much from much from them to begin with (by god FF2 on wii is boring incarnate).
I usually don't go farther than not buying something I find repulsive, communities usually do that for me without me having to lift a finger lol.

Wow, I actually...I forgot that I think that's the only series where the overt sexualization bothered me to a significant degree. The Fatal Frame direction actually did turn me off an enormous amount. It was just so...weird and skeevy. Ugh.

Huh, I completely forgot about that.

But yeah. Those are all legitimate and sensible reasons to dislike something. Fair play to you!

Sesha

I could never justify buying something like this for the price, but man I really want one for Hinoka, Titania and female Corrin.

What's the Zelda logo about?

I believe the twilight princess Figma (Zelda and link) are in the same display case, but somewhere else.

Yep, georly is right. Zelda and Link's Figma is also on display. You can have a look at the another thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285169

Damnnn, I don't even like Camilla that much and I want that...

Me too. This is really nice.

I could never justify buying something like this for the price, but man I really want one for Hinoka, Titania and female Corrin.

I LOVE Hinoka. She is my favorite character in Birthright.

Sesha

I LOVE Hinoka. She is my favorite character in Birthright.

Mine too. She's in my top 5 favorite designs in the series, and one of my favorite designs in RPGs overall. I really want there to be a Fire Emblem Musou soon in the hopes of getting her as a playable character.

Top Bottom