• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intelligent Systems went HAM on Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia's soundtrack

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Warning: Minor spoilers in track titles

Fire Emblem has always had epic music that really fit the feel of the battles and story moments.

I feel Shadow of Valentia's has surpassed the other installments though. You can tell this game was made with a lot of love and care while remaining true to the spirit of the original title. There's enough to get you hyped up, mellowed out, or pretty sorrowful.

Seriously, how great is -

Alm's Theme

Celica's Theme

Title Theme

King Rudolf

Radiant Ark

THE ABSOLUTE KING OF ALL - Final Map theme

The game seems to be amazing on all fronts. I thought this thread could be used as an appreciation of all FE music and to get hyped up for Shadow's of Valentia itself. What are you looking most forward about it?

I'm looking for people being disappointed by the map design even though they liked Awakening

Trolling aside, I'm so hyped, musics and character and character design seems top tier and I love the more "heroic" and "shonen" feeling you get in this game unlike the previous 3DS game

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's really great. Fates is a step above it still due to its more eclectic tracks (Echoes is more vanilla fantasy) but there's no doubt that it's amazing.

YAWN

I'm looking for people being disappointed by the map design even though they liked Awakening.

Yeah, I can understand the disappointment in maps if coming off of Conquest, but if Awakening and Birthright's maps were good enough for them, Echoes should be fine.

Plus FE is so much more than just the map designs. If this game is nearly perfect in every other department, it's still more than worth a purchase.

This is my own upload btw. I made soundtrack videos with a bunch of Fire Emblem Echoes pixelart characters that I hope people will enjoy.
This is awesome dude, I love the presentation. It's as good as the song itself!
I really hope Fire Emblem Switch keeps some form of Pixel art in it's aesthetic. Its so synonymous with the series.

The stuff I've listened to so far is seriously fantasic. Celica's Map 1 (aka Mila's Divine Protection) is just incredible. It'll take a lot to beat Fates as my number 1 but I've listened to four of the tracks so far and they're all top tier so here's hoping.

I'm super tempted to listen... but I want to be strong.

Is it as good as Radiant Dawn when it comes to battle themes? RD's battle themes are probably my favorite in the series. A lot of them sound very fitting and war-like. My favorites (Sorrowful Prince Pelleas is not a battle theme, obviously):

547ec380a4.png

March is so upbeat and fun. It's infectious. I love it!

Battle of Pride sounds exactly like its name, and I love--fuck, I wish I knew instruments--that wooden instrument (I assume) in the background when it starts. Another fun, but slightly more serious theme.

On Glory's Wings sounds somewhat dramatic, and I always associate it with Jill/Elincia/Haar. Seeing them fly down at the beginning of battles when this started was always a treat.

To War just gives me goose bumps, especially when it goes into that horror movie sound with the wooden instruments and then into the furious drum section. Gah! <3 Probably my favorite enemy-attack theme.

Embodiment of Change is such a good enemy track. I honestly love being attacked just to hear it.

Stalking Menace is a woefully underused boss theme. Starts off so well and then kinda dips, but then picks up again. Stalker-y and menace-y, indeed.

The Devoted just sounds like an unstoppable and righteous force about to end you. The violin <3.

Wheeling Corby fits its character well. It's amazing how well you can feel their arrogance and avian affinity (I do, anyway). It's bird-y and brooding.

Unstoppable Destiny is just a treat. I prefer the RD version to PoR's (different name) because it's just a little more intense, but they're both obviously great boss themes. And what a fitting one, at that.

Honestly, I just love how bombastic some of these tracks are. A lot of them share similar instrumentation, but they're all so fun to listen to.

The stuff I've listened to so far is seriously fantasic. Celica's Map 1 (aka Mila's Divine Protection) is just incredible. It'll take a lot to beat Fates as my number 1 but I've listened to four of the tracks so far and they're all top tier so here's hoping.
omg, no. My first exposure to that was from Brawl and I loved it. Now it really hurts to refrain from hunting it down...

Link? :p I assume it's not Celica's Theme in the OP.

MTC100

Banned
I agree, sounds pretty damn good. I don't know if it's master piece material but its for sure something you can listen to and enjoy while playing the game.

YAWN

omg, no. My first exposure to that was from Brawl and I loved it. Now it really hurts to refrain from hunting it down...

Link? :p I assume it's not Celica's Theme in the OP.

Yeah sorry about that, it's Celica's Map 1 theme in the OP. It's awesome.
Radiant Dawn definitelly had some stand out tracks, I haven't played it in a fair few years but I get all nostalgic listening to them. Its amazing how much they stick with you.

GenG3000

They already went ham with Fates. That soundtrack had 10 discs of top tier music.

This sounds good so far albeit more conventional.

Like OP mentioned it is the Celica's theme linked above. I've seen a lot of reactions to this one saying it's a step down from Brawl (and even the original) but I couldn't disagree more. Brawl's version was amazing, Echoes is perfection. When it was first revealed on the offical site I think I listened to it for like an hour and a half on repeat :p

Also I'm pretty sure that Echoes has the same one battle theme for the majority of the campaign which kind of sucks. If I'm wrong then someone please correct me!

Yeah sorry about that, it's Celica's Map 1 theme in the OP. It's awesome.
Radiant Dawn definitelly had some stand out tracks, I haven't played it in a fair few years but I get all nostalgic listening to them. Its amazing how much they stick with you.

Like OP mentioned it is the Celica's theme linked above. I've seen a lot of reactions to this one saying it's a step down from Brawl (and even the original) but I couldn't disagree more. Brawl's version was amazing, Echoes is perfection. When it was first revealed on the offical site I think I listened to it for like an hour and a half on repeat :p

Also I'm pretty sure that Echoes has the same one battle theme for the majority of the campaign which kind of sucks. If I'm wrong then someone please correct me!
Yeah, I'm listening now. I just wanted to be sure because I don't want to listen to any more tracks than I need to.

I wouldn't say it's a step down, either--just different. I dig it a lot! Very whimsical and almost cute, haha. Do we know composers?

Also, anyone wanna link to Fates/Conquest/Birthright? I totally skipped those because--and I feel like a broken record, here--my interest deflated after Awakening and then hearing these were just as bad, if not worse in some areas. Awakening as a whole was disappointing, but the real tragedy for me was that most of the music wasn't very memorable :(. My favorite track from Awakening was Onslaught ~ Steel, an enemy theme.

Anyone wanna link me to battle themes from the other three?

One of my favourite games in the series and presentation is a huge part of it. The voice acting and soundtrack are outstanding.

Story too honestly
And gameplay wise it suffers from some old approach but also shines in other aspects

I hope Fire Emblem Switch takes a lot from Shadow of Valentia's gameplay. I love how open it is though I agree battles are a bit of a regression from Awakening/Fates. Not drastically mind you.

Yeah, I'm listening now. I just wanted to be sure because I don't want to listen to any more tracks than I need to.

I wouldn't say it's a step down, either--just different. I dig it a lot! Very whimsical and almost cute, haha. Do we know composers?

Also, anyone wanna link to Fates/Conquest/Birthright? I totally skipped those because--and I feel like a broken record, here--my interest deflated after Awakening and then hearing these were just as bad, if not worse in some areas. Awakening as a whole was disappointing, but the real tragedy for me was that most of the music wasn't very memorable :(. My favorite track from Awakening was Onslaught ~ Steel, an enemy theme.

Like Awakening, Fates' battle themes are split into player phase "Ablaze" versions of the map music as well as bosses + enemy phase traditional style battle themes.

Birthright
===
Player Phase
Quiet Burn
Past Light
Justice RIP
Alight
Far Dawn

Enemy Phase + Bosses
Misery in Hand
You of the Light

Conquest
===
Player Phase
Dusk Falls
Dark Wastes
No Justice
A Dark Fall

Enemy Phase + Bosses
Condemnation
You of the Dark

Rev
===
Player Phase
Land Below
Glory/Ruin

Enemy Phase + Bosses
Puppet's Feast
Destiny by Blood

So yeah, there's a lot to get through. Judging by your Radiant Dawn post, I think you'd enjoy the Enemy Phase/Boss stuff more.

Mercador

"went ham" for a non English speaker ?

Does it worth it to do Fates before this one (I'm almost done with Awakening) ?

Thanks!

Dystify

Too bad the LE doesn't come with a complete soundtrack.

I uploaded the complete soundtrack, as said above:
This topic prompted me to upload the soundtrack as WAV files (1536kbps). Feel free to download it. It's quite large (3 GB) and the file names are the original names from the game files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw9bTOAU1Hb-cElGQ1U1TlpwQjQ

These are the same files I used to create my soundtrack videos, so if you're rather into youtube, you can find them in high quality there.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwObPlg7Y1qVV-7k_wUxlr772fCmsClC

Thanks!

This game is pretty different from other Fire Emblem so in my opinion the order in which you play them doesn't really matter.

Thanks!

It generally means to put in more effort than expected. And no need to play Fates first and since Fates is usually a massive time investment, you may want to play this one, a much shorter experience overall, first.

NeonZ

Like Awakening, Fates' battle themes are split into player phase "Ablaze" versions of the map music as well as bosses + enemy phase traditional style battle themes.

My favorite battle theme for Fates is actually a boss battle theme from the Heirs of Fates DLC - Perplexing Dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0n5Ek5sW2c

Thanks!

HAM, meaning "Hard As a Motherfucker."

To do something HAM is to do something with intensity or excitement. Sometimes the action itself if assumed or implied and not explicitly stated, like in the case of the title.

To go HAM on a sandwich, for example, implies eating it with excitement or high energy. It would mean you ate it very quickly or perhaps you enjoyed it very much after a long day at work.

For IS to go HAM on the FE soundtrack, it means the music is very good.

woopWOOP

Just a week to go, so hyped despite having played through Gaiden just a few months ago :p

I've been listening to the OST for a while now tho, but I haven't gotten sick of it. The third edition of both Alm's and Celica's themes are the standouts for me, alongside Land of Sorrow and ofcourse the final battle track.

Warning: Minor spoilers in track titles

Fire Emblem has always had epic music that really fit the feel of the battles and story moments.

I feel Shadow of Valentia's has surpassed the other installments though. You can tell this game was made with a lot of love and care while remaining true to the spirit of the original title. There's enough to get you hyped up, mellowed out, or pretty sorrowful.

I think the music is fantastic, but I don't know if I rank it as the best. I don't know which game I would rank as having the best music to be honest. Here are some of my favorite tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX9T1dw6rSE&index=6&list=PL258Gqv0lYXkfheUjqnMsvPyD4Xybi06d

This is the single greatest map theme in any Fire Emblem though. Seriously, listen to this track if you think the Echo's final map is amazing. This track isn't the final map, but it's a turning point in the story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOVqcUdRX1U&list=PL6V3Xw-Fn4hHVO2PqpfZc_Ap-k9u6UgwQ&index=8

Radiant Dawn has some of the best battle themes, too. I link each and every battle track, but someone already posted them. On second thought, he totally left out Beauty is a Mad Mistress.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pIEGHSE_1k

Astral Dog

Awakening has one of the best handhelds soundstracks ever made :O
Even the dlc themes are great
FATES never got me outside a few tracks here or there but its good

Lunar15

I'm super tempted to listen... but I want to be strong.

Is it as good as Radiant Dawn when it comes to battle themes? RD's battle themes are probably my favorite in the series. A lot of them sound very fitting and war-like. My favorites (Sorrowful Prince Pelleas is not a battle theme, obviously):

I thought I was the only one who really liked RD's soundtrack. It's not the best by any measure, but I genuinely enjoyed it. I agree that the percussion is stellar.

What I've heard from Echoes has the chance to be a contender, though.

I thought I was the only one who really liked RD's soundtrack. It's not the best by any measure, but I genuinely enjoyed it. I agree that the percussion is stellar.

I rank the Radiant Dawn soundtrack pretty high. It's probably in my top 3. Ironically, I find Thracia 776 soundtrack a little lacking. It's still good, but being my favorite FE, it didn't have my favorite soundtrack.

Here's a fan remix of 20 or so Fire Emblem soundtracks across the series. It's over a half hour long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ziXSioJ2JQ

Draxal

For an Nes game, gaiden really had a good soundtrack.

tbh, the only fire emblem song I can't stand is Beyond the Sky from Binding Blade. Goddamn I hate that song.

When don't they go Ham honestly.

The soundtracks are always consistently great. And tend to have different styles, so they all don't sound similar.

Top Bottom