• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

International Potato Center report positive indicators that potatoes can grow on Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoopaTheCasual

Andy Weir, author of The Martian, was so determined to include potatoes that he wrote a program to (among other things) figure out when there would be a good launch window to Mars such that the mission would be on the surface for Thanksgiving.
Sidetrack: Is this the same Andy Weir who wrote "The Egg" short story? Its my favorite short story ever.

Edit: Top of page with a de-rail. Kill me.

Matt Damon was so selfish he put all of Mars at risk instead of just dying
What if we just cant see the beings that live on Mars because they exist in the 5th dimension? Maybe human emotion can make them sick like small pox did to people on earth since things like love can transcend time and space.

7iberius

This experiment was only testing Mars-like atmospheric conditions (namely pressure and composition). It did not test all Mars-like conditions that food would need to be able to tolerate to grow on Mars. The experiment did not test Mars-like soil, which is chock-full of toxic compounds; it did not test Mars-like radiation, which is severe; nor did it test Mars-like gravity, which is only about a third of Earth's. The experiment also assumed a plentiful supply of nutrient-rich liquid water was available to the food, which is not an assumption to be taken for granted on Mars.

It's premature to reach the conclusion that potatoes can realistically/practically be grown on Mars.

Trouble

Banned
That reminds me of a question I had after watching The Martian. Doesn't NASA go to great lengths to sterilize any martian lander so as to not contaminate the planet with terrestrial bacteria? So didn't Matt Damon's character show a pretty wanton and reckless disregard for that ethic when he mixed human waste into the martian soil? Did they address this at all in the film or novel?

Yes, they clean room anything being sent to orbit for a few reasons. Bringing soil into the HAB isn't a wanton violation of planetary protection protocols, because he wasn't releasing stuff onto the surface. The HAB airlock blowing out was beyond his control, so you can't really pin the blame on him for that.

Aren't potatoes like really bad nutrition-wise

They go into that in the book a bit. He uses potatoes primarily for the calories and takes multivitamins. It's not ideal, and his health does suffer quite a bit, but it beats starving to death.

sangreal

Since this is a XiaNaphryz thread, I can only assume that this bodes well for the future of martian french fries

For some reason I can't stop laughing at the name "International Potato Center" -- I guess it works better in spanish

He does look like a Martian baked potato.

320px-Mick_Mars_2012.jpg

Fuck that, what about corn?

If we're going to send the next generation of children away to Mars without their consent, I'd feel better knowing HFCS was waiting there for them.

That reminds me of a question I had after watching The Martian. Doesn't NASA go to great lengths to sterilize any martian lander so as to not contaminate the planet with terrestrial bacteria? So didn't Matt Damon's character show a pretty wanton and reckless disregard for that ethic when he mixed human waste into the martian soil? Did they address this at all in the film or novel?

Well it was either do that or die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom