• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet speed VS prices from around the world - WTF Canada>:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConfusedMan09

Neo Member
20 mbps in UK here :D I can understand the low average though, as even though someone says for 20 mbps, ADSL (which is what most people are on) depends completely on distance from telephone exchange. I know people who pay for "up to 20 meg", but actually get 4-5.

Luckily, I live next door to an exchange so get full, uncapped speed :D

DieH@rd

Banned
I [and majority of Serbia] pays 14$ for 1mbit ADSL. Hopefully they will double/tripple the speed in the coming months.

One TV cable provider gives 4mbits for same money, but it doesn't cover entire country, only big cities.

X26

Banned
I love the cartel we have running things here in canada, working together to keep prices high and service shitty, so awesome <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

I pay 20€/month for 30mbps in Paris (and I'm actually having 25 to 20 mbps) and soon will upgrade to 100mbps (for the 30€/month) when my building will be covered sometimes this year.

Most websites can't offer you more than 300-400KB/sec for a download therefore why the obsession on ADSL2? The only time where my pipe was maxed out was when downloading from Microsoft's website.

Netherlands, 100 mbit up/downstream, no cap, 8 euro's a month. :lol

Man, i'm so going to miss this once i graduate from university and lose this internet. :(

Threi

notag
You think Canadian internet service is bad (which it is), how about Canadian cell phone services?

Save us Wind Mobile, save us

-Rogue5-

Threi, Wind is blowing ass though. Aside from the "no contract" advantage it's still a pretty crappy plan/cellular coverage.

And, yeah, we're getting rocked on prices/speed. Cut me off some of that 61mpbs please.

Meus Renaissance said:
Most websites can't offer you more than 300-400KB/sec for a download therefore why the obsession on ADSL2? The only time where my pipe was maxed out was when downloading from Microsoft's website.
I get speeds of around 900kb/s off of Steam. Faster I get my games the more convenient it is for me.

But really, I guess if you're happy with the speed your at just now you won't see a reason for a higher speed. There are people who still use dial up, so I know not everyone's needs are the same.

Nander

I pay 30€/month for 100mbps, no cap. So there is something in Sweden that's not horribly overpriced after all...

Kunan

TheExodu5 said:
Canada's not that bad. I'm paying $70 for 25mbps/1mbps and 125GB cap. Rogers.

Not perfect, and I definitely want more upload speed, but I think we stand pretty well compared to most countries regardless.
When that finally rolls out to everyone though. Until a few months ago our only option was nearly $100 for 95 gigs, now reduced to $60. Still no 125 gb plan in Ottawa. If this chart was calculated recently, that means that Canada was even worse than that before.

big_z said:
who do you use? i use shaw with normal high speed. it's $35/month with cable $45 stand alone. Download cap each month is 60GB but i've gone beyond it many times without any problems. Download speed i average 800KB/sec to 1.3MB/sec.
Problem is Shaw isn't available to a lot of big cities, and I don't think Rogers is ever going to change that.

Tntnnbltn

Wii said:
In other news, iinet bumped the download limits for many of their plans :D
They also changed their on-peak / off-peak times.

(For my plan...)
Code:
       OLD                     NEW        
------------------      ------------------
On-peak   Off-peak      On-peak   Off-peak

2:00 AM   12:00 PM      1:00 AM    9:00 AM
notsureifwant.jpg

More importantly, however, they upped my capped speed to 128k. Now the internet might remain usable when I get capped.

NotWii

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
They also changed their on-peak / off-peak times.

(For my plan...)
Code:
       OLD                     NEW        
------------------      ------------------
On-peak   Off-peak      On-peak   Off-peak

2:00 AM   12:00 PM      1:00 AM    9:00 AM
notsureifwant.jpg

More importantly, however, they upped my capped speed to 128k. Now the internet might remain usable when I get capped.
On my plan, off-peak is 2-8am
Doesn't bother me as long as I can use up all of my off peak quota :)

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
X26 said:
I love the cartel we have running things here in canada, working together to keep prices high and service shitty, so awesome <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Honestly, what the fuck is the deal with that? It's like the telecom companies in Canada aren't even competing with each other for customers, but rather just seeing how much they can squeeze out of their current customers by working together.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
AlphaTwo00 said:
I'm sure finding a graph to show the bandwidth cap would show that Canada is even worse off.

$50 can't even get me 60GB? BULLSHIT.

I have 60GB for something like 42$ with Bell Sympatico with 1 year contract. I think I'm actually down to $38 now, before taxes.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
It still bugs the fucking shit outta me that people can't properly capitalize their units. I've seen bandwidth speeds ranging from millibits per second to megabytes per second in this thread.

X26

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Honestly, what the fuck is the deal with that? It's like the telecom companies in Canada aren't even competing with each other for customers, but rather just seeing how much they can squeeze out of their current customers by working together.

Only reason what they do isn't illegal is because they don't actually get together and strategize, but there's a painfully obvious silent agreement between them not to rock the boat and maintain the status quo

Kunan

X26 said:
Only reason what they do isn't illegal is because they don't actually get together and strategize, but there's a painfully obvious silent agreement between them not to rock the boat and maintain the status quo
No kidding. All of their plans are carbon copies of each others. And now, with charges for incoming texts, we're going backwards and being charged even more :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom