• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.

Banned
Yeap DS5 design looks really off for a Sony product. Too gamery.
Which means PS5 design will be loud and multi toned? wonder if it will have RGB?

DS5 like a mix of boomerang but gamery.
j6rvc9hoff031.jpg

I really wish I could get the chance to hold one of these... like a real pre production version of the boomerang.

did they ever demonstrate a working one of these? because to me they always looked like mockups with no internals

longdi

Banned
Da fuck? A redesigned controller automatically = $499? If there's anything for Sony to eat on profits...the redesign of the controller would be it.

I guess the research work done and a need for new tool chains to manufacture, will eat up more bom.
Im not sure if Sony can sell the standalone DS5 any more expensive than DS4.

No, im glad Sony tries something new. Just a little concern in terms of raw PS5 power being eaten up by accessories. As it seemingly becoming, the fight of raw performance is the toughest we know of yet.

Last edited:

Megatron

I dislike the aesthetics, but I think it will feel great in my hand, and there Will of course be different colors/styles

Banned
Just thought about it but the Xbox controllers should be like 2 dollars compared to all the tech that’s been in the PlayStation controllers. Xbox doesn’t have gyro, a speaker, a rechargeable battery, a touchpad, and now no mic.

gyro hurts the most. I was hoping gyro aiming will finally become a standard feature this gen... even on PS4 almost no game supports it, even games that do support it on Switch don't get the feature on PS4.

if all controllers had gyros it would definitely help making it more commonly used

longdi

Banned
Just thought about it but the Xbox controllers should be like 2 dollars compared to all the tech that’s been in the PlayStation controllers. Xbox doesn’t have gyro, a speaker, a rechargeable battery, a touchpad, and now no mic.

Exactly. Xbox channelled all that into the console specs itself.
Depending on how you look at things.

Imo since consoles specs are once a generation, and controllers are just the workhorse, i would prefer console specs approach

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can use whatever rechargable batteries you want and not have to buy a new controller when the internal battery craps out....

Takes 10 minutes to swap the battery with a much longer lasting one for $8-$12. If the rare case it does crap out.

Banned
OK, so It's good to see them side by side. See who wins :p

the DualSense looks super spacey and scifi, which I absolutely love... that design is fucking gorgeous.

the SX controller looks more luxurious/distinguished and clean, which I also love but it is a bit boring.

let's see how their ergonomics are, the new thicker handles look promising on the dualsense but the face buttons are a bit too spaced out IMO

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I do have to say though that I find it fascinating (not in a bad way) at how at the very beginning of the PS3, Sony got rid of their rumble for controllers (until they completely shifted that stance) to now w/ the PS5 they're going all in at launch.

Last edited:

Banned
I do have to say though that I find it fascinating (not in a bad way) at how at the very beginning of the PS3, Sony got rid of their rumble for controllers (until they completely shifted that stance) to now w/ the PS5 they're going all in at launch.

they didn't "shift their stance" that whole thing about it being a last gen feature was pure PR garbage.
they had an issue with patents, so they literally couldn't use their rumble features anymore until that was settled with the patent holders.
at that time they also released a batch of rumble less PS2 controllers (SCPH-10520) that weren't called DualShock 2 (I think they just called them PS2 Analog Controllers or something) for the same reason

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Analog stick look like it could peel up and wear out fast like the previous controller. When will they ever improve that aspect of it?

Last edited:

HawarMiran

Banned
you all know some girls will put that thing up their pussy for dat HAPTIC FEEDBACK. No need for a vibrator. 2 in 1

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Ha, seeing that the new PS controller is bigger, it looks like they have a much bigger battery in this one, they would need to anyway...…..The audio jack, the speaker and the share button were the biggest innovations in a controller this gen......The trackpad is back, and I'm ecstatic about that tbh, it was awesome in Killzone Shadowfall and a few other games, just underutilized, hopefully it gets more use this gen, maybe even for the video editing from the create button....web browsing etc, it was definitely great for maps in games, that's for sure......I guess we will see how it evolves next gen...…..Cant wait to put GT7 through it's paces with the dualsense or even playing fighters and getting feedback for every punch and kick.....

Also I think a mic is a nice evolution, quality should be good enough, the great thing is that it will be standard, everybody can chat if they want or even use voice to launch games etc...Many people forgot that the PS4 had voice activation...…..Cerny was not playing when he said he wants a high quality standard available to everybody......Everybody will have a mic, a speaker through their controller and high end haptics that changes how you play games, just by having this controller....I imagine all games will be designed with these standard features in mind......Standard features across the board.....Cerny has raised the bar for console design, for controller design and for sound design, as everybody with basic speakers can enjoy a nice simulated virtual surround or get some awesome audio through their headsets......I have 5 headsets including a 7.1 piece, so I can't wait, remaster Resistance Trilogy please for that great audio, but I can't wait to see what Sony brings with the Gold Headsets for next gen, since they are going all out on sound this gen, or right about every aspect really...

Kagero

Somebody on ERA made it and really gives perspective... I though it was really similar to DS4.

oT3C1Di.gif
Interesting. All the buttons are in the exact same place to keep it familiar. I like that. I’m so accustomed to the PS4 controller. The more I see, the more I really like this controller. Feels fimiliar but looks distinct enough to herald in a new gen. Plus it looks like something out of portal. Finally! A win for Sony when they need it most.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
they didn't "shift their stance" that whole thing about it being a last gen feature was pure PR garbage.
they had an issue with patents, so they literally couldn't use their rumble features anymore until that was settled with the patent holders.
at that time they also released a batch of rumble less PS2 controllers (SCPH-10520) that weren't called DualShock 2 (I think they just called them PS2 Analog Controllers or something) for the same reason
I stand corrected. I was remembering the PR spiel from that time.

LMJ

Gotta say that's a sexy design, excited for the haptic feedback info, just hope it's used more often than "HD rumble" has been for the switch, seems Sony wants to change the way games FEEL

With this, Tempest 3D audio and focusing on expanding visuals, killing loadtimes and VR it sounds like Sony is really trying to tackle the senses in a console.

Pretty exciting :D

DrAspirino

Banned
I have mixed feelings towards the new controller. On one hand, it's a BIG improvement in ergonomics over DS4 and those big analog triggers are greatly appreciated. On the other hand, It would've been nice if they changed the left analog stick to make them asymetrical, since that would be the ergonomically appropriate placement if the main focus of the console are 3D games. The d-pad on the position it has is better suited for 2D or fighting games.

Also.. WTF, Sony? Removing colors from the buttons? I know it gives a slick look, BUT it's a bit disorienting on kids entering the platform trying to match the shape they see on screen with the one on their controller.

Aside from white as a default, and going to the more hard acrylic buttons the only other fault I can really find with the controller is the integrated microphone. If that is enabled by default it is going to make multiplayer interactions a nightmare. Kids on the mic in every instance, people not realizing it's turned on, people not even knowing it's in the controller just making a bunch of noise in the background.

It's a novel idea but in practice I can see this running amok.

Gotta say that's a sexy design, excited for the haptic feedback info, just hope it's used more often than "HD rumble" has been for the switch, seems Sony wants to change the way games FEEL

With this, Tempest 3D audio and focusing on expanding visuals, killing loadtimes and VR it sounds like Sony is really trying to tackle the senses in a console.

Pretty exciting :D

I'm guessing that if your playing a game like Call of Duty each gun will have their own socialized rumble configuration. Heck if it's extremely good you could probably try and imitate the feel of firing different caliber pistols. Like if you fire a 22 pistol the felt recoil would be alot less than a 50AE.

Droxcy

Looking forward to the bigger handles. I still can't get used to the joysticks that close together after playing xbox for so many years.

thelastword

Banned
OK, so It's good to see them side by side. See who wins :p

#MSmetoo strikes strikes... again.

9.03pm vs 9.04pm...….This is as "follow the leader" as if I ever seen it......

I think the varied DS5 designs, color mixes etc.. will be great.....I think they will eventually bring all black, white, blue controllers as well...No mix....

Reactions: CJY

Keihart

I love the D-Pad and front facing buttons though, reminds me of my white Vita ♥
They really do, but i like this more beacuse this time the dpad has the space to actually be separated.
i hope they do the clickity thing the vita ones do.

CJY

Banned
9.03pm vs 9.04pm...….This is as "follow the leader" as if I ever seen it......

I think the varied DS5 designs, color mixes etc.. will be great.....I think they will eventually bring all black, white, blue controllers as well...No mix....
It's very "follow the leader"

Console sales might follow along this trajectory for the first few months as well after launch. Then Sony will pull away with more/better games. Maybe :p

I think I'd like solid colours as well. I don't see why it's two-tone except to make it look visually smaller than it is.

Top Bottom