• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Droid X360 (PS Vita knockoff running Android)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o0BN4txob1c

Behold, the world’s most badass named product: Droid X360. It is a PS Vita knockoff that runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. And it has one powerful feature that the original PS Vita doesn’t have. It has 9 different kinds of built-in emulators for the classic arcade games, Nintendo 64, Sony PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Game boy Color, NES/FC, SNES, SEGA Mega Drive and SEGA Game Gear.

Apparently a Chinese company has released a new device called Droid X360 that looks an awful lot like the PS Vita. The Droid X360 comes with Android 4.0.4 installed, a 1.5GHz processor (not sure if it’s a dual core), 512MB of RAM, 8GB of onboard storage, a 5-inch capacitive touchscreen display (800 x 480), HDMI-out, a microSD slot (support up to 32GB), a mini USB port, 2800 mAh battery, a rear 2-megapixel camera and a front 0.3-megapixel shooter. And it includes two analog sticks!

wY4Nf.jpg

Pcu7M.jpg

xJavonta

Banned
Wait, in the video for Android games, he's using the touchscreen buttons instead of the physical buttons? That makes me want it much less if I have to use the virtual buttons instead.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, in the video for Android games, he's using the touchscreen buttons instead of the physical buttons? That makes me want it much less if I have to use the virtual buttons instead.
Is technically possible to map the buttons to on-screen controls like the iControl pad softare does. Is likely that this will be not be done, but is possible...

orioto

Good Art™
Probem with this kind of things is that emulating 8 bit era to n64/psx is really cliché nowadays... it begins to be a little short. Basically every HK device or hacked thing can do that. It would be a lot more menacing to the Vita if it ran PS2/DC games. Vita cannot but there will be lot of ports for sure.

Takao

Banned
The d-pad on these things are usually jank, as are the analog sticks so I wouldn't be pinning for one until you've heard some user feedback.

xJavonta

Banned
Emulating up the n64 is the best ARM can do correct. No xbox or ps2 hardware?

Probably. Sometimes my Core i3 2100 struggles to keep 60 FPS with some PS2 games, I doubt an ARM processor could do better.

And the Xbox doesn't even have a good emulator released on Windows yet, an Android version isn't happening anytime soon.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
lol @ dat lcd screen

In the pics it looks like the materials are of great quality but on the YT vid it looks like ass specially that screen.

FillerB

Probably. Sometimes my Core i3 2100 struggles to keep 60 FPS with some PS2 games, I doubt an ARM processor could do better.

And the Xbox doesn't even have a good emulator released on Windows yet, an Android version isn't happening anytime soon.

Too true. I don't expect the N64/PS1 emulation too be all that great on this thing. Still that leaves plenty too play with. And since it just runs android there hopefully will be plenty of apps and games that a will be able to take advantage of the keys/sticks. Or atleast something that will be able to remap common touch gestures to the keys.

Probem with this kind of things is that emulating 8 bit era to n64/psx is really cliché nowadays... it begins to be a little short. Basically every HK device or hacked thing can do that. It would be a lot more menacing to the Vita if it ran PS2/DC games. Vita cannot but there will be lot of ports for sure.
There was a dreamcast emulator running on a single core galaxy s 1 at almost full speed. Vita is about 10x more powerful than a galaxy s 1.

BlazinAm

Is not precisely ARM's fault, but yes. (But the Vita is emulating the PSP, idk).

I was more looking are the advancement in that community. I thought that ps2 and xbox code could be emulated. Particularly xbox code cause that was a pentium 3 and nvidia geforce 2, Musing that it would be better to get PC code running at that point.

I wonder how low level these emulators are running, clock speed is the big issue with running current gen games. Trying to run SPU code on arm processor is slow as fuck.

Top Bottom