• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4 Pro Bundle

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/24/introducing-the-red-dead-redemption-2-ps4-pro-bundle/

44833035421_a355c849bb_h-755x425.jpg

This bundle includes a 1TB Jet Black PS4 Pro system, a DualShock 4 wireless controller and Red Dead Redemption 2 on Blu-ray disc. This bundle will be available across the U.S. and Canada for $399.99 (MSRP) / $499.99 CAD (MSRP). Pre-orders start today.

This could possibly be the reason for the shortage of the PS4 Pro in the US.

Last edited:

nowhat

Is it possible to yawn so deeply you dislocate your jaw? I think I just did. Boooooring. But I suppose you'll save a bit as opposed to getting the console and game separately.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I want to get a pro as an upgrade for my old one.
And i want to buy red dead.

But i want it on xbox one x being better version and all.

Oh well guess ill have to wait for the last of us 2

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I never understand the point in these.

A free copy of the biggest game of the generation which will sell a lot of consoles this holiday, what is the confusion? It a win for R* who Sony pays for the game (at a discount) and a win for Sony who drives up sales on consoles and PS+ subs. It's like the same idea of a free copy of PUBG with XBX, but whith a good game.

Last edited:

Arun1910

A free copy of the biggest game of the generation which will sell a lot of consoles this holiday, what is the confusion? It a win for R* who Sony pays for the game (at a discount) and a win for Sony who drives up sales on consoles and PS+ subs. It's like the same idea of a free copy of PUBG with XBX, but whith a good game.

I guess I mean more in the sense of why does the biggest game of the generation not have its own special decal console.

This.

Even though the console is your typical black console, this will sell gangbusters.

I guess I mean more in the sense of why does the biggest game of the generation not have its own special decal console.

It doesn't need to do. It will sell more than enough.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

True, but for every person that like a strange looking console, there is another who is annoyed. This is the safest and cheapest way to make a bundle. The black is the mass produced console and they will need a lot of them.

JimiNutz

Banned
I said I would likely upgrade my hardware for RDR2 and was thinking that I was more likely to get a One X but this bundle may push me towards a Pro.

Personally I prefer that it isn't a special edition console. Until Sony manage to make a special edition console that actually looks nice I'll stick to the standard black (the Spider-Man console for example was absolutely hideous).

thelastword

Banned
So this is where "all the pro's have gone".....Spiderman bundle, RDR bundle, COD Black OPS 4 bundle etc. etc...It seems Sony is stockpiling PRO's for bundles this holiday.......

Anyway, RDR2 is going to move so many PRO units.......and so will the other bundles too.....

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Well, it's better than the Switch Fortnite bundle.

manfestival

question about the ps4 pro
if you dont use it for 4k, does the system recognize this and automatically switch to a mode to increase performance? Also would this performance mode be in everygame or the hardware improvements be actually something you experience on the day to day use?

autoduelist

I bought a ps3 when the mgs model came out. It was a normal PS3, but the reason I got it was that at the time I was not paying attention to gaming at all. I only really heard about it when super high-profile games came out and made the normal news cycle. Right then was the double whammy of Metal Gear Solid and GTA IV. That is what a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 will do. It'll spark interest in people that don't have a console and don't pay attention to Gaming. I didn't want a fancy, decorated console. I just wanted a PS3 and the games.

Ar¢tos

All the designs submitted to the marketing team were considered "pretty", so Sony just used the basic black console to not break the tradition of ugly special edition consoles they have had for years. /s

Well, if this means that PS4 Pros will finally be in stores again (and I know there will be a shitload of these in stores) then I guess I will be able to pick up another PS4 Pro and hope this one is quieter. I'm personally glad that they didn't make it some terrible custom console, as I likely wouldn't have gotten it then (because I know they would have made it ugly as hell, based on the other special editions).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm wondering if there's going to be a drop in the Pro's price post RDR2's launch. This seems to me a great deal. You essentially get RDR2 for free with this bundle but rather than Sony eating the loss, could it be that Sony are simply making hay while the sun shines prior to a price drop?

Last edited:
I guess I'm already halfway there to owning this Read Dead Pro bundle, I have the jet black PS4 Pro, I just need to wait to get my copy of Red Dead 2. They definitely could have done more considering Star Wars Battlefront II got a themed console.

thelastword

Banned
You'd have thought that's a given. Why are they mostly pushing Pro?
You always push your more expensive, more powerful console. Slims can move on their own, retailers will no doubt give many deals on slims for the holidays, but persons looking to purchase a pro for a good minute, as a second console or upgrade are more easily persuaded with getting one of the hottest games for the holidays as a bonus. There's no doubt this game will have solid pro support too, looking at recent footage.

Last edited:

Halo0629

Should have given it like a wild western theme but still never underestimate the power of a bundle to sell like hotcakes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are damned if they do, damned if they don't with a custom look. You can't please everyone. This will still fly off the shelves.

My PS4 was an "Arkham Knight" bundle: it was just the system + game at normal price (so, free game).

This isn't the first, second, or sixth time Sony has bundled a popular game with a generic system.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/24/introducing-the-red-dead-redemption-2-ps4-pro-bundle/

44833035421_a355c849bb_h-755x425.jpg

This could possibly be the reason for the shortage of the PS4 Pro in the US.
Saving the limited quantities for bundles...this ain't right.
They are damned if they do, damned if they don't with a custom look. You can't please everyone. This will still fly off the shelves.
C...cause you can't find any Pro's in the US. Goddamn it Sony.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zewp

question about the ps4 pro
if you dont use it for 4k, does the system recognize this and automatically switch to a mode to increase performance? Also would this performance mode be in everygame or the hardware improvements be actually something you experience on the day to day use?

It depends on the game and whether the devs baked in proper Pro support. Most newer games will have a 4k or a more detailed 1080p mode, but don't expect a lot of games to give you 60fps on 1080p mode.

Some games even run worse on the Pro because the devs are lazy and don't bother doing proper Pro support.

Top Bottom