• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introduction Xbox Game Studios

Gamezone

Gold Member
At Xbox, we believe when everyone plays, we all win. It’s why we’re passionate about building a portfolio of games for players across console, PC and mobile. As we’ve expanded our focus beyond the console, the Xbox brand has also evolved from its original roots. Today, Xbox is our gaming brand across all devices, no matter how or where you want to play, or who you want to play with.

In that spirit, I’m pleased to share that we are changing the name of our game development organization from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Game Studios.

Read more at:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/02/05/introducing-xbox-game-studios/#CXDITx2bGxDbkPBA.99

Pretty neat. Wonder what implications this will have for gamers who want to play on non-Microsoft hardware. After all, they might not want to associate "Xbox" with "needs a Microsoft product" if they're going cross-platform/streaming.

Salvatron

It’s why we’re passionate about building a portfolio of games for players across console, PC and mobile.

I find it a little bit of an odd semantic decision. To me, the word 'Xbox' is so directly tied to the physical console. When I think 'Microsoft Studios' I can see there may not be as clear a distinction it's a game studio, but why not just insert the word 'game' in there officially.. Microsoft Game Studios? But hey, I'm sure they focus-grouped the hell of this change beforehand.

Kagey K

Banned
I find it a little bit of an odd semantic decision. To me, the word 'Xbox' is so directly tied to the physical console. When I think 'Microsoft Studios' I can see there may not be as clear a distinction it's a game studio, but why not just insert the word 'game' in there officially.. Microsoft Game Studios? But hey, I'm sure they focus-grouped the hell of this change beforehand.

Yeah MS game studios made me think Xbox/PC. Xbox game studios just makes me think console.

I’m sure they must have their reasons and it looks like an attempt to unify the brand, but I lose the PC thought as I read the name.

Trogdor1123

Yeah MS game studios made me think Xbox/PC. Xbox game studios just makes me think console.

I’m sure they must have their reasons and it looks like an attempt to unify the brand, but I lose the PC thought as I read the name.
I was thinking this too, kind of doesn't bode well for PC gamepass. Im just guessing though

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Xbox Game Studios means platform. Tryna shed that console stigma looks like to me. I'm interested to see what they got.

Breakage

It shows commitment, but it does make me wonder what "Xbox" will actually mean in the future. For example, will a cheap Moto smartphone one day double up as an "Xbox"? I'm personally not a fan of this Xbox everywhere vision that Microsoft seems to be moving towards.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I always wondered why they haven't expanded XBL and the Xbox store to PC gamers instead of trying to use the Windows Store. I wonder of this is the first steps to this.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Let me know when Xbox makes games for non-MS platforms, otherwise this is just talk and a Trojan horse.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I always wondered why they haven't expanded XBL and the Xbox store to PC gamers instead of trying to use the Windows Store. I wonder of this is the first steps to this.

Is probably a bit more complicated. Expand their store? You mean all their games too?

demigod

They were known as Microsoft Game Studios before. But yeah i agree xbox is known for console. Maybe they want it the same name as Xbox Live.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not sure what the purpose really is...... people are getting mixed up between Microsoft Studios and Xbox Game Studios?

Promoting a new XGS tagline is going to boost sales?

DiscoJer

This makes no sense. They want to become a cross-platform game publisher, but decided to change the name of their company from one that was largely neutral to one named after their own specific console?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Same here.

On one hand they are trying to expand the focus, but calling it XBOX Game Studios makes it focus right back at Xbox consoles.

The thinking is probably their focus on Xbox GP and Live everywhere in hopes "Xbox" simply means gaming on a wide array of devices. But personally, I don't think it's there yet. Pretty sure if you ask 100 gamers what Xbox means, they'll probably say console gaming on 360 or One. And not Anywhere gaming on a tablet.

To me, this new XGS is more suited probably years form now after they've spread their gaming apps and strategy elsewhere (assuming it works).

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You mean the microsoft store thats both PC and xbox?
Yes. But done in a way that would be easy to distinguish platforms. Granted they would need to expand play anywhere to make it seamless.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
This makes no sense. They want to become a cross-platform game publisher, but decided to change the name of their company from one that was largely neutral to one named after their own specific console?
Gee! Maybe they know something you dont? Lol. The world looks different depending on where you sit.

sn0man

Parallels to Google rebranding as Alphabet. I can imagine that some inside of MS prefer that the companies have some distance and branding might be a simple way to do that.

dottme

Now they can say Xbox exclusive even if the game release on Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, Android, IOS ....
As long as it is produced by the Xbox division, it’s an Xbox exclusive game.

I think they are trying to merge their PC side and Xbox side more and more.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Now they can say Xbox exclusive even if the game release on Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, Android, IOS ....
As long as it is produced by the Xbox division, it’s an Xbox exclusive game.

I think they are trying to merge their PC side and Xbox side more and more.
They are!

nikolino840

So...

-compulsion games
-undead labs
-rare
-playground
-turn 10
-inxile
-double fine
-ninja theory
-343 industries
-the coalition
-the initiative
-obsidian

Plus
-mojang
-contracts for PC games like Age of Empires (Age of Empires studio) and Flight Simulator (asobo)
-id@box

Top Bottom