• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inventor of the home video game cartridge passes away

Afrikan

funny about the whole Steve Jobs thing...

R.I.P. Man if I knew he resided in the Bay Area at any point, I would have loved to just sat down and chatted with the guy. :(

Tomasooie

Mar said:
Sad news indeed.

This statement however:
"Lawson is remembered as the inventor of Fairchild Semiconductor's home video game console, the Channel F. Released in 1976, the Channel F is the first console with programmable game cartridges; before it, home video game systems only played the games that were built into them."
Is factually incorrect. In fact, the very first console, the Magnavox Odyssey, had circuit board cards that were very much like cartridges but without the casing. It's just that no one ever made any more games for it than what came with the system.
It's not incorrect. "The Channel F is the first console with programmable game cartridges; before it, home video game systems only played the games that were built into them."
The Odyssey's cards were not programmable, they only had different "series of jumpers between pins of the card connector. These jumpers interconnect different logic and signal generators to produce the desired game logic and screen output components respectively.

"The Odyssey uses a type of removable printed circuit board card that inserts into a slot similar to a cartridge slot; these do not contain any components but have a series of jumpers between pins of the card connector."

Shaneus said:
That really is sad news. Somewhat surprised that he's American, too.
Why?

Mar

Tomasooie said:
It's not incorrect. "The Channel F is the first console with programmable game cartridges; before it, home video game systems only played the games that were built into them."

This is the part I was referring to mainly. Though the whole programmable card thing is a bit of a line ball if you ask me, which is why it refers to the fact they could have patented it.

Tomasooie

Mar said:
This is the part I was referring to mainly. Though the whole programmable card thing is a bit of a line ball if you ask me, which is why it refers to the fact they could have patented it.
Well the Odyssey's "games" were still built in, the cards were just used to select different rulesets.

The patent mentioned would not have been for the existing cards, but for a different idea, that was proposed, but not completed.

"Ralph Baer also proposed the concept of "active cartridges" containing additional electronic components allowing adding more game features such as sound effects, variable net position, variable ball speed, etc. Unfortunately the idea did not catch any interest. In retrospect, all ROM-based cartridge manufacturers may have been required to pay a royalty to Sanders Associates had Ralph Baer filed a patent for his "active cartridges".

GraveRobberX said:
Did the Medical Team or Paramedics try the old trusty way on reviving?

nesblow1_1204931550.jpg

Pretty stupid joke, and I'm not easily offended.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
RIP, sad that you hardly ever hear about this guy, even though he was responsible for one of the most important inventions in video game history.

Also, after reading that vintage computing article (great interview BTW), it's really cool to see he once worked at the same place I currently work at (the head of Strictly Rhythm once worked here too I think :O ).

scitek

GraveRobberX said:
Did the Medical Team or Paramedics try the old trusty way on reviving?

http://retromedia.ign.com/retro/image/article/857/857894/nesblow1_1204931550.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[B]GraveRobber[/B]X
(Today, 09:23 AM)

R.I.P.

This fine fellow (may rest in peace) was the one responsible for my countless hours of joy back in my days of school thanks to the tech he designed and created. Never knew who he was, and never wondered either, but he was awesome indeed!

SnakeSalute.jpg

Damn. Beyond cartridges, this guy also helped invent the first coin-detecting system for arcade games and knew pretty much everyone from the birth of the gaming and computing industries.

My favorite part of the interview:

BE: Did you talk to Steve Jobs and Wozniak back then?

JL: I was not impressed with them — either one, in fact.

Love the (entirely justified) trash-talking about the Magnavox Odyssey, too, and all the stuff about the FCC process. Tons of great stories in that interview.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The single best thing about catridges was that if you wanted to show a friend, or play together, you just up and take the game, saves and all.

None of this messing about with non-transferable profiles or save data you can't copy. Nowadays it's all about the online if you wanna play together.

Second best thing is that they stuck proudly out of your system. Now we want to hide everything behind a sleek, black, faceless piece of kit that fits snugly into our living room aesthetic. Back in the day it was like F**K you mum, I'm PLAYING STREETS OF RAGE 2. Right there, for all to see.

I've never sworn in front of my mother.

Vorador

Banned
RIP. :(

charlequin said:
My favorite part of the interview:

Damn :lol guy was classy

EDIT: I just read the entire interview, really interesting stuff, not just about gaming, but about early electronics . Guy had a lot of experience in the field.

esk1mo420

R.I.P Jerry. Carts will always be dear to me. Now that I think about it with the size of thumb keys and SSD's coming down in price don't see why we shouldn't go back to Carts too bad they are so pricey to manufacture in scale vs Optical.

Sofo

I remember that when I was 10 or 12, a friend of mine dropped his Wave Race 64 through the lift hole and survived falling 3 floors. Cartridges. <3

May he rest in peace.

RIP man.

I still wish video games would move forward and find the perfect blend of cheap mass storage with lightning quick access time for game storage. I also love the fact that saves were right there with the game.

Top Bottom