• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Investors are loving Nintendo Switch's new games (stock up 20% since launch)

Really surprising to me, lacking features and games right now, no communication from Nintendo at all about VC, features, etc.. Yet something about the device is really attractive, I have one just for Zelda, not turned it on since , but I love the hardware and concept.

dracula_x

That's why they have the money to invest and you don't.

Sure. And where are those people who invested in Blackberry, Nokia, Palm, etc.? ;)

edit: and bonus → https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627qa/02.html#qa9

LGJv3O2.png

or this → https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...ould-destroy-the-nintendo-brand/#5a5f67ec68d2

9bLZxmY.png

As I see, investors know a lot about video games :)

Kouriozan

I'm suprised since their investors were pretty much pessimist since the end of the Wii/DS fad.
I guess they finally have faith in Nintendo's future again.

The release schedule from the Direct is very good. MK8D in a few weeks, Minecraft next month, then ARMS and Splatoon 2 by July. Switch is selling well and should continue to do so unless something messes up. If e3 goes well and the fall line up delivers they should be in for a good generation

That Nintendo Direct was one of their best Directs ever. It laid a plan out. It was so well put together and it showed games with release dates for Switch. More importantly some big games like people have said in here.

Jubenhimer

Not even a few months ago, people were claiming this would be another Wii U. And that Nintendo learned nothing. Well with record breaking launch sales,relentless marketing and a steady stream of games throughout 2017, Nintendo must be doing something right.

I think it's time some of GAF start realizing the Switch really is not going to be Wii U 2.

ARMS properly marketed (it has a very Overwatch vibe about it) will make the game super popular.

For real, the Switch is here to stay and will only pick up steam as it gets more ports and more original games. Very excited about the future for it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
When are we going to learn that stock really doesn't mean shit

In a "public company" context? No shit...

What to say? This is the same roller-coaster of Nintendo and their investors with stock price and expectations as always, at least we'll have Nintendo not becoming a fully mobile company for a while ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aleh

Surprised Animal Crossing skipped Wii U (outside of amiibo Festival), I mean we even had an Animal Crossing plaza with HD assets.
I'm not surprised actually, New Leaf started development some time before 2010 and given its success, development of a Wii U game was surely in the works. Then when it was obvious the Wii U couldn't be saved they probably decided to save it for the Switch so that they wouldn't waste it there and later have to port it like what happened to MK.

Anyways, it feels weird to finally see investors happy. I'm used to them whining all the time lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. I hope it succeeds. But I honestly don't think it will. However, I've been wrong before.

Not even a few months ago, people were claiming this would be another Wii U. And that Nintendo learned nothing. Well with record breaking launch sales,relentless marketing and a steady stream of games throughout 2017, Nintendo must be doing something right.
Let them keep hating and doubting Nintendo. Some people believe the Switch still won't succeed (lol), but there are those who just want Nintendo to fail. Idk why some gamers have that mentality like Nintendo did something to hurt them.

Unison

I'm not surprised actually, New Leaf started development some time before 2010 and given its success, development of a Wii U game was surely in the works. Then when it was obvious the Wii U couldn't be saved they probably decided to save it for the Switch so that they wouldn't waste it there and later have to port it like what happened to MK.

Just as well, really... AC makes so much more sense on Switch than Wii U.

I have been predicting one non-port Wii U 2017 retail game from Nintendo to be revealed at E3 and this makes a lot of sense.

As for ports, I expect Pokemon to be around next March (though Holiday would not absolutely stun me) or so and it doesn't make sense to release Mario Maker on top of a new 3D Mario, so I think the big holiday Wii U port that we haven't heard of yet is going to be Smash.

Let them keep hating and doubting Nintendo. Some people believe the Switch still won't succeed (lol), but there are those who just want Nintendo to fail. Idk why some gamers have that mentality like Nintendo did something to hurt them.
It was worse in the Wii days where people ignored hundreds of genuinely amazing games because "lol waggle". There's been a lot of irrational loathing tied to everything Nintendo have done since then.

It's a formidable lineup for sure. Mario or Zelda games often end up being the best game of the entire generation so to get both in one year plus Splatoon 2 and the best ever version of Mario Kart now with a proper battle mode is going to be something special.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

They touched me in my no-no place. :-/

Jubenhimer

It was worse in the Wii days where people ignored hundreds of genuinely amazing games because "lol waggle". There's been a lot of irrational loathing tied to everything Nintendo have done since then.

Nintendo should be called out for when they make objectively bad decisions, and many people have done so (myself included). But let's be honest, many of Nintendo's critics bash the company for pretty stupid and petty reasons.

* "I want my Super hardcore power box with every third party game evar!!"
* "No Gimmicks, Pro Controller or bust"
* "Stop making these casual games, make only me and the fans want"

Just to name a few.

KahooTs

Was this Nostradamus stating his optimism prior to Switch release? Because the line up he's apparently basing everything on has been known a long while.

Or did his insightful realisation that Nintendo's strong IPs are going to hold the Switch in good stead happily coincide with the Switch release and it selling particularly well?

If e3 is respectable the stock will go higher than the Wii era.

The stock didn't quite top out back then till late 2007, so I doubt we'll see it at any level near there this year.

Next week will give a good indication on how much confidence and value investors have reassigned to Nintendo's hardware though, which can give us a good idea of the level to which the Switch itself can push the stock. Rather than reliance on mobile games for success.

I say this as someone who has made a solid bit of money on NTDOY primarily thanks to Pokemon GO.

Plum

I'm definitely eager to see some true numbers from Nintendo on the 27th. That, MK8D, Minecraft and then ARMS, E3 and Splatoon 2 will probably mean that this price at least isn't going to go down for a while. They've got a decent momentum going, if they can get to 2018 without any major slumps I'd say Nintendo and the Switch are in the clear.

Nintendo stock has been so up and down the last few years it could be used as the roller coaster in thr Nintendo theme park.

No idea how to understand or prefict their shareholders.

TZchassis

Nintendo stock has been so up and down the last few years it could be used as the roller coaster in thr Nintendo theme park.

No idea how to understand or prefict their shareholders.
Nintendo succeeded greatly and failed miserably, and their moves tend to be highly unpredictable. It makes sense to me that the stock fluctuate a lot.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If e3 is respectable the stock will go higher than the Wii era.
This is crazy talk. Have you actually looked at the average share price Graph for Nintendo for the past 10 years? It's one big mountain with the Wii years being the peak. It'a probably never reaching that level again.

Just as well, really... AC makes so much more sense on Switch than Wii U.

I have been predicting one non-port Wii U 2017 retail game from Nintendo to be revealed at E3 and this makes a lot of sense.

As for ports, I expect Pokemon to be around next March (though Holiday would not absolutely stun me) or so and it doesn't make sense to release Mario Maker on top of a new 3D Mario, so I think the big holiday Wii U port that we haven't heard of yet is going to 0be Smash.
A lot of the staff that works on the Animal Crossing games are currently making Splatoon 2 and made Splatoon as well. Given all of the major titles releasing this year, I see them holding off on Animal Crossing. I expect Animal Crossing to be a holiday 2018 title.

I'm ready for April 27. Only 8 days. I want to hear Kimishima. I like how Kimishima talks. He seems more upfront with things. Iwata was a little different. So I like that about him. I hope he says some stuff about E3 too. Because after MK8DX is out I think they'll let it "breathe" for a week and then the second week of may announce their E3 plans!

They usually announce them 4-6 weeks prior to E3.

Top Bottom