• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion, the space survival game by Dean Hall and Improbable, is dead

There is no bigger stage to announce a video game on than a platform holder's E3 press conference, and in 2015, Dean Hall, creator of DayZ, stepped onto Microsoft's stage to announce his new game Ion.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

"I want a game that is not a game," he said. "I want a game that is a universe. A universe built not on scripts or quests, but on the laws of physics, biology, and chemistry. A simulation MMO that explores mankind's expansion into space; the chance to be a pioneer in a harsh universe swamped with the risk of death yet peppered with the havens of fortune."

It was a prototype Hall said he had been working on for a year, and would be a collaboration between RocketWerkz, Hall's studio in New Zealand, and Improbable, a company with an ambitious SpatialOS game engine, in London.

Ion was to come first to PC and the Xbox One Game Preview Program. No release date was announced.

Then the lines went dead. 2015 ended; nothing. E3 2016 rolled around; nothing. 2016 ended; nothing.

RocketWerkz released a VR game called Out of Ammo, announced a mysterious big new multiplayer game, and is teasing a game reveal for game show EGX Rezzed in London at the end of the month. None of them are Ion.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

Improbable has partnered with Google to heavily subsidise the SpatialOS engine, and in press releases mentions SpatialOS games such as Worlds Adrift and Lazarus (skip to 01:10:00) - but not Ion. What gives?

After weeks of investigation, and with comments from both parties involved, I can tell you Ion is dead.

More at http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ival-game-by-dean-hall-and-improbable-is-dead

Too bad it was cancelled. I really like the space theme.

So after DayZ never got finished, announced on PS4 and was never shown, he left, announced this, that got cancelled...

Okay then.

LordRaptor

"I want a game that is not a game," he said. "I want a game that is a universe. A universe built not on scripts or quests, but on the laws of physics, biology, and chemistry.

If that was my pitch for a game I would also be NOPEing the fuck out post-No Mans Sky too.

Of course it's dead. This guy is a disaster who cannot finish anything. I wonder how long it will be before Rocketwerkz goes out of business because they've got a guy who lies worse than Molyneux at their head who doesn't have the background to back it up.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Seems like his mouth is bigger than his stomach when it comes to his aspirations, was DayZ his first venture?

What is Hall up to aside from this? Is he attached to DayZ at all anymore?

No, he left Bohemia years ago and moved back to Dunedin in New Zealand to start his own studio.

They have so far released Out of Ammo, a VR game, and like the article says have had ION canned and are working on some other stuff he is saying is amazing but as yet no one has any idea if it is (it's probably not).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The comparisons to the industry's unfavored people seem a bit odd to me.

Like, let's follow his track record so far.

1.) Made the DayZ mod.
2.) Got hired by Bohemia to release an official DayZ product. Got frustrated with the company and left to start his own studio.
3.) Announced Ion as their first project.
4.) Released Out of Ammo, a VR strategy game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/451840/
5.) Announced Out of Ammo: Death Drive to Italica, a sequel to the previous VR game.
6.) Canceled Ion, saying the project didn't work out, but said that they're going to announce a new game at Rezzed.

Like, is there anything that bizarre here? Am I missing something? Sure, the official DayZ game is not very good, but that's Bohemia's project that he wasn't making business decisions for, and he never sold anyone Ion before canceling it.

renzolama

It's not just that Dean Hall left the production of his own game 3 months after its alpha release on steam made him millions of dollars, it's the fact that in his exit interviews he repeatedly claimed that the game was fundamentally flawed and he wanted to go work on a better game that really adds the flavor. So not only does he take the money and run, he basically tells his customers that he doesn't believe in the product he just sold them and decided not to finish. One of my favorite 'wtf is he thinking' developer stories of the past decade or so.

Nice to see public opinion sour towards Dean Hall. I don't think he deserves outright hate (nobody does) but I was surprised how many people were okay with the lack of any real progress or plans for DayZ and who still thought Dean Hall was some wunderkind who was leaving DayZ because of after all the hard work he had put in he was moving on to greater things (and "much deserved rest"), instead of just abandoning the game.

I'd say he's an inventive guy but it never seems like he can follow through with the execution.

soultron

Banned

1.) Made the DayZ mod.
2.) Got hired by Bohemia to release an official DayZ product. Got frustrated with the company and left to start his own studio.
4.) Released Out of Ammo, a VR strategy game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/451840/
5.) Announced Out of Ammo: Death Drive to Italica, a sequel to the previous VR game.
6.) Canceled Ion, saying the project didn't work out, but said that they're going to announce a new game at Rezzed.

Like, is there anything that bizarre here? Am I missing something? Sure, the official DayZ game is not very good, but that's Bohemia's project that he wasn't making business decisions for, and he never sold anyone Ion before canceling it.
I think people are dogpiling simply because he's a public figure that left a project before it was properly finished and now they blame him for it.

Thanks for the succinct update.

"I want a game that is not a game," he said. "I want a game that is a universe. A universe built not on scripts or quests, but on the laws of physics, biology, and chemistry."

Basically he doesn't know wtf he wants.

Designers with this sort of ambitious and yet ambiguous vision are a nightmare to work with because they don't possess the relevant breadth of knowledge or functional solutions to implement said vision and get the ball rolling from a technical standpoint.

Zojirushi

1.) Made the DayZ mod.

Please don't interrupt GAF hate mob with any sort of reason!

soultron

Banned

Designers with this sort of ambitious and yet ambiguous vision are a nightmare to work with because they don't possess the relevant breadth of knowledge or functional solutions to implement said vision and get the ball rolling from a technical standpoint.

You're making quite the accusation from a single quote.

I'm sure he's got docs and prototype work that attempts to build the systems he's briefly described.

Question: do you work in the industry? I ask because of the bolded.

LordRaptor

That was my first thought too. Investors aren't going to want to touch that hot potato for awhile.

Yup, any perceived comparison to NMS is toxic right now, unfortunately.

A systemic based emergent interactions PVP oriented game sounds like what he wants.

Setting such a thing in space immediately has a number of 'gotchas' at a fundamental design level though.

For one, space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

elyetis

Didn't know about it but after him explaining how there was no money in making VR games and how even the staff didn't even want to work on VR anymore, it's pretty surprising.

edit : after a quick search it seems it's more of DLC that became it's own thing than a new project, I guess that's explain things.

BiggNife

1.) Made the DayZ mod.

My understanding is that people are super duper bitter at Hall because he left DayZ in an unfinished state and the game still hasn't lived up to the promises that were made years ago. I think a lot of people blame Dean's departure for DayZ's decline.

Lucifon

I feel like he gets bored of projects and moves onto the next idea. He has some great ideas, but doesn't see them through.

Top Bottom