• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion, the space survival game by Dean Hall and Improbable, is dead

I think people are dogpiling simply because he's a public figure that left a project before it was properly finished and now they blame him for it.

Thanks for the succinct update.

The mod was his, he left the mod for a fairly long period to go and climb everest with the money he made from it. He then laid out plans to make DayZ a full game, only months after selling it to people and in a much worse state than the mod that hobbyists had taken over, he left the company and went to start his own studio.

He was the person behind the game and once it sold millions he nope'd out. He should not get a pass for this.

The mod was broken, the "game" is still broken and it's best times where when he had just started it and it actually had zombies in it.

soultron

Banned
The mod was his, he left the mod for a fairly long period to go and climb everest with the money he made from it. He then laid out plans to make DayZ a full game, only months after selling it to people and in a much worse state than the mod that hobbyists had taken over, he left the company and went to start his own studio.

He was the person behind the game and once it sold millions he nope'd out. He should not get a pass for this.

The mod was broken, the "game" is still broken and it's best times where when he had just started it and it actually had zombies in it.

He doesn't owe anyone anything, in my opinion. If he got what he wanted out of DayZ, be it satisfaction from production and iteration or monetary reward, he should be free to do whatever he wants -- including climbing Everest -- and leave whenever.

Noaloha

Was this the game which wanted to be an accessible and graphically polished interpretation of what Space Station 13 does (plop players into 'bland' roles for a round, emphasise micro-simulating the entire environment, apply just enough pressure that chaos eventually ensues)? If so, I'm saddened by its cancellation, whatever Hall's history; the SS13 short burst, sim+sandbox style of multiplayer is fascinating and I'd love to see a fresh take on it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For one, space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

tumblr_mkdhk1UsbM1rtkcfwo3_250.gif

GodofWine

I think a lot of people blame Dean's departure for DayZ's decline.

What decline though? Game is far improved from when he was last there (obviously, 2 years of development will do that), and its hard to say how his presence would have changed it either way. Yea, the player count is lower but thats par for the course with PC games (for the MOST part).

They made a bad choice building the game on Arma 3's engine, and have paid for it since. But the game is in an OK place, and all the competition that people (and I) thought would pass it by have also struggled mightily with the open world survival genre.

Yes, it would have been nice to see him there until 'beta' maybe, but the goal of starting something akin to a business, is basically to sell it for a profit, and thats what he did, and what almost anyone else would have.

DayZ was something special though, my heart never pounded so hard as it did the first time I stalked another person and bludgeoned them with an Ax...and there was that time I got robbed at gun point, hand cuffed, and THEY STOLE BLOOD FROM MY BODY, like out of my veins...while Dayz may never be finished, it really is the tipping point for a large number of games and the new 'battle ground' / 'king of the hill' genre.

He clearly had one good idea, which he never fully followed through on. That's it.

but WHAT an idea, it changed gaming in some ways. DayZ will be listed as an inspiration for a long time by developers. (and a cautionary tale)

He doesn't owe anyone anything, in my opinion. If he got what he wanted out of DayZ, be it satisfaction from production and iteration or monetary reward, he should be free to do whatever he wants -- including climbing Everest -- and leave whenever.

Well obviously he is free to do what he wants but you can surely understand people that bought in to his plan for DayZ being annoyed that he sold them his vision for the game and then never even came close to completing it just handing it over to someone else.

Top Bottom