• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is 64-bit only - 32-bit apps no longer work (i.e. some games)

Chitown B

I cannot believe that people are actually cheering for this.
This shifts the burden from a single actor (i.e. Apple) to developers porting their existing software to 64-bit only.

Its a shady move, it does NOT benefit the customer - only Apple.
So why cheer? If you play a good 32-bit game on your OHMYGODITS64BIT hardware, you do not lose anything. if the software does not need the extended memory space, what is the issue for YOU, the consumer?

Yeah, I know: nothing. Absolutely nothing. There is nothing to cheer for with this .

the fact that iOS isn't already 64 bit is the shocking thing. 64-bit has been around forever. It's about time. Throwing a tantrum over progress is silly.

Comparing iOS to consoles is nonsensical, because they're fundamentally different. There aren't 10 different PS3s with differing chipsets and architectures, and a software platform that has evolved across all of them. If you want to compare this to something, compare it to PCs, Macs, or other mobile phone platforms. Otherwise you're making fundamentally broken points.

the fact that iOS isn't already 64 bit is the shocking thing. 64-bit has been around forever. It's about time. Throwing a tantrum over progress is silly.
It is 64-bit. They're just cutting out 32-bit compatibility now.

Pokemaniac

Shady how? They've been warning about this for years, and developers either did or didn't update their apps.

And it's untrue that it doesn't benefit the consumer. iOS can benefit from not having 32 bit apps.

From Ars Technica:

And from good forum post on Appleinsider:

Frankly, if a developer cared about their app, they'd update it. But trying to say that Apple is just being shady or being anti-consumer is false. They're very clearly trying to make their devices and software better.

The expectation that developers need to support their software indefinitely just to keep it working is unhealthy. We've got better things to do than deal with platforms that are as much a moving target as iOS.

This attitude also ignores that not all types of software have resources devoted to maintaining them long term. And that software can just get abandoned for a bunch of legitimate reasons.

I meant 64-bit only.

Virtually everything still has 32-bit compatibility. Apple is actually going out of their way to cut compatibility here.

Chitown B

Virtually everything still has 32-bit compatibility. Apple is actually going out of their way to cut compatibility here.

likely because keeping that compatibility will eventually cause old apps to run terribly and rather than have 32-bit apps make their phones seem shitty, they just cut them so everything is on the same level.

cmChimera

The expectation that developers need to support their software indefinitely just to keep it working is unhealthy.
This strikes me as absurd. No operating system should be forced to maintain compatibility for you. Technology (hardware and software) moves forward. If you want your app to remain compatible with newer technologies, you have to maintain it.

BigEmil

Shady how? They've been warning about this for years, and developers either did or didn't update their apps.

And it's untrue that it doesn't benefit the consumer. iOS can benefit from not having 32 bit apps.

From Ars Technica:

And from good forum post on Appleinsider:

Frankly, if a developer cared about their app, they'd update it. But trying to say that Apple is just being shady or being anti-consumer is false. They're very clearly trying to make their devices and software better.
Yeah all this is worth it

Chitown B

This strikes me as absurd. No operating system should be forced to maintain compatibility for you. Technology (hardware and software) moves forward. If you want your app to remain compatible with newer technologies, you have to maintain it.

exactly.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
buy these quality exclusive 32 bit games on your extra iPad you will never update again before they disappear forever!

Warship Solitaire
FC Rocket
Harbor Master
Reiner Knizia's Labyrinth, Cluster Master, Lines of Gold, Through the Desert, etc
Lilt Line
Logic Maze
Sync Ball
Gravity Hook
Questlord
Doom 2 RPG
Nobynobyboy
Crystal Caliburn 2 Pinball
Cameltry

then there are the excellent Cave shmup ports
the Marathon trilogy ports
the Doom port
the Baldurs Gate port
the old Magic the Gathering campaigns

my favorite game music playing app, NoiseES
my favorite music-making app, NanoStudio

Appreciate the reccomndations, picked up a couple.
Unfortunately like half of them have been delisted.

sheaaaa

Honestly after all the time they had to update, if they still haven't updated their apps to support 64bits, then I don't want their app on my phone

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome right here to me. There are many good games which won't get updates because the developers have shut, or IP rights have changed, which deserve to be preserved. Forcing them to no longer work is the definition of anti-consumer and I can't believe people are defending it.

I probably will keep my iPad Mini 2 on iOS 10 forever, and I think I only have 2 games that will disappear if I updated to iOS 11: Peggle Classic, and XCOM.

Honestly, I hardly ever play Peggle anymore, but it's such a great pickup and play game that it's worth it to me to keep it.
XCOM... I always tell myself I'm going to get into it, but I suck so much at these types of games that I rarely get past the first mission after the tutorial, lol.

Thankfully I don't care much about iOS updates so it wont effect my iPad usage until games/apps will start to require iOS 11+ to work, but that probably wont be for years (most new apps I've looked at only require iOS 7 or 8 minimum), and I'll probably get a newer iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch (if they ever refresh it) by then and keep my old iPad Mini 2 for the legacy stuff.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome right here to me. There are many good games which won't get updates because the developers have shut, or IP rights have changed, which deserve to be preserved. Forcing them to no longer work is the definition of anti-consumer and I can't believe people are defending it.

A lot of them plain don't work properly anymore anyway. Dead Space for example runs but music and voiceovers won't work and broken gyro controls won't allow you to advance past the early part of the game.

This is why I've personally bought an iPad mini 3 on iOS 8.2 to keep these "forever".

Marche90

Apps can be both 32 and 64bit. The store will send the 32 bit version to owners of the 5C and 64bit to newer owners.

I'd expect you'd slowly get less support but apps like WhatsApp that are used in poor countries will probably be the last to stop working.

Thanks, this is the kind of answer I was looking for.

Stop using your iPhone 5c. It's not going to get security updates.

If I could, I would, but unfortunatedly it's not in the cards for me to change phones soon-ish. Not like its software is terribly outdated right now anyway, so I'm not too worried in that front. Rarely my phones are cutting edge in terms of software...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It absolutely is on the OS maker to ensure some form of compatibility - or in an ideal world - preservation.

And they have since 2013 when they first brought in 64-bit chips. 4 years is a long time for the mobile world.
For 3 years they've pushed for apps to update, and for the last 2 they've forced them to have 64-bit compatibility if they updated or released.

Most of the apps that have yet to update are already broken in some way from the various iOS updates. I had some that would just crash immediately after launching.

sheaaaa

And they have since 2013 when they first brought in 64-bit chips. 4 years is a long time for the mobile world.
For 3 years they've pushed for apps to update, and for the last 2 they've forced them to have 64-bit compatibility if they updated or released.

Most of the apps that have yet to update are already broken in some way from the various iOS updates. I had some that would just crash immediately after launching.

I don't think giving four years' grace is an amazing thing that they should be applauded for, given how many games will now be literally impossible to buy and play.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't think giving four years' grace is an amazing thing that they should be applauded for, given how many games will now be literally impossible to buy and play.

I mean, it's nearly half the life of the App Store itself.
Like I said, much of these games are forgotten, and many are already broken.

Of course, the other option is not updating to iOS 11 and you can keep playing however many of these older games you still happen to have.

sheaaaa

I mean, it's nearly half the life of the App Store itself.
Like I said, much of these games are forgotten, and many are already broken.

Of course, the other option is not updating to iOS 11 and you can keep playing however many of these older games you still happen to have.

One might argue that the fact that they are broken is another indictment of Apple and its OS upgrades.

Anyway let's agree to disagree - I'm never going to find making so many games obsolete a defendable position.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
One might argue that the fact that they are broken is another indictment of Apple and its OS upgrades.

Anyway let's agree to disagree - I'm never going to find making so many games obsolete a defendable position.

It's just like any other OS really. They all grow up sometime.
Software compatibility isn't forever.

Parfait

Complain at the companies to update their game, not at Apple for updating. Nothing lasts without maintenance.

They won't update? Don't invest in a company that clearly doesn't care enough about their game to update it.

SMD

Complain at the companies to update their game, not at Apple for updating. Nothing lasts without maintenance.

They won't update? Don't invest in a company that clearly doesn't care enough about their game to update it.

Some of these companies don't exist any more.

kubev

I agree. People complain about modern operating systems being so bloated, yet they scream bloody murder if their decade-old applications may not run on them. If you want your software to continue working, and the developer/publisher doesn't care enough to update it to PROPERLY support new versions of your OS, then don't update your OS.

It absolutely is on the OS maker to ensure some form of compatibility - or in an ideal world - preservation.

I agree to a point on the preservation angle, but there's some software that's so bad that a full rewrite is in order. Some things need to go away, especially when it's clear that they make no effort to make better use of resources as modern operating systems do or follow improvements in usability that've been made over the years.

Oh, I guess my mom does still have my iPad 3, so in the extremely off chance I want to play an unsupported game it'll be there.

Maximus.

And they need to do that because?.... It shouldn't be down to the developer to update something if the platform holder changes stuff.

Ah ok so when anything tries to get better or advance, we should all be held back by gone developers or lazy ones. This is how software has been since the beginning. Fuck those shitty developers.

I remember when Apple bent over backwards to make sure old applications worked on new systems. The now-fabled Motorola 68000 emulator in the early PowerPC Macs is probably the best example of this.

Apple ain't about that life anymore.

Spectone

Apple prides itself on the number of users using the latest version of iOS but with version 11 a heap of people are not going to upgrade.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Apple prides itself on the number of users using the latest version of iOS but with version 11 a heap of people are not going to upgrade.

I think that's over estimating the number of people who really care about this at all.
Most people haven't used a 32 bit only app in years aside from a few of here on a gaming forum.

CTLance

...I'm still on my ipad2 with ios7. Suck a fat one, Apple. </edge>

But seriously, this kinda reminds me of the good old days of RiscOS wonkery when that went full 32 Bits instead of 24 or whatever it was.

I just want a Rosetta Stone solution. An official VM with a choice of good iOS versions. Pop up a hefty warning that your battery is gonna melt and that the app may misbehave because it's unsupported, then download and launch it inside the VM and let the user deal with it. Compared to designing and selling personal computers and smartphones, each with their separate OS and the underlying services to mesh them together, that's barely any work. They just can't be arsed, is all. And I ain't even mad. Something like this was bound to happen at some time, and it will continue to happen.

However, anyone who thinks this is "good for the consumers" is a fool. The consumer friendly version would leave us some sort of crutch to run (and even purchase!) those apps even on the latest bleeding edge hardware. Even if it's utterly stupid. Even if it causes Apple extra work. Even if nobody really uses those apps anymore.

Oh well.

Pokemaniac

likely because keeping that compatibility will eventually cause old apps to run terribly and rather than have 32-bit apps make their phones seem shitty, they just cut them so everything is on the same level.

There's still native support in the hardware for running 32-bit software in pretty much any CPU you'd use in these devices. The performance impact of leveraging that isn't really that big. It certainly isn't all compelling reason to drop support.

I don't expect everything to keep working forever. There's a pretty wide gulf between that and how Apple actually manages iOS, though. They're way over towards the other end of the spectrum, and that just makes the platform irritating to develop for.

This immediately brings to mind the question: How is fully compatible software arbitrarily being disallowed in any way related to technology, hardware or software?

Spectone

Because it's missing 32-bit support? 95% of all users probably don't even know what that is.

The OS tells you that these apps will no longer work in a future version. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has run these apps recently knows they are going away.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Forever? We are talking about a few years. Its only about 2 years since 32bit only apps are no longer allowed on the app store.

4 years since 64-bit was introduced on the phones.
2 years is a long time for phones, looks at how quickly things grow.

I can run 32 bit programs and games on 64 bit Linux and Windows. Wut.

But can I run my 16-bit Win apps natively?
Eventually 32-bit will go away even on modern personal computers. That's probably way down the line though due to how ingrained they are.

It really doesn't matter for the iOS store.

The OS tells you that these apps will no longer work in a future version. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has run these apps recently knows they are going away.

95% of users likely don't even have a 32-bit only app installed.
Yes, I'm pulling that stat out of my ass but I can't see the average consumer somehow still using an old app that hasn't got a update in the last 2 years. Everything important to people is constantly updated.

Fliesen

And you think there's going to be a significant number of people who have apps that:

* are of such importance to them that they would want to miss out on the new features iOS 11 brings
* while they're at the same time no longer supported by the app's developer (i.e. haven't received updates within the last 2 years)

Sure, there's going to be situations like that, but i wouldn't call it "a heap of people". Unless you're talking about very small heaps here.

KingV

It's just like any other OS really. They all grow up sometime.
Software compatibility isn't forever.

Like which other OS's? Windows has maintained compatibility for many years.

Windows 3.1 apps Can be used on a modern PC even today, through various compatibility modes, or failing that emulators or virtual Machines.

Top Bottom