• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

dock

Is there any way to stop Screen Recording without popping up the control centre or pressing the red title bar? I always have to trim the end of my captures. I tried the Home button but this doesn't do it.

Burger

I can’t believe this shipped with a bug that stops you sending mail from an Office365 account. I thought I was going fucking crackers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Updated the GBoard app and glide/swipe typing stopped working. I was about to freakout because of course now there's no way to downgrade apps. Thankfully it worked after I toggled full access on and off (deleted history and changed advertising id beforehand). But argh I don't know what I would do if Gboard stopped working. Is there any iOS keyboard out there for the iPhone SE with swiping and cursor control?

I was going to say Microsoft's excellent Word Flow which had both as well as one handed modes but it seems it has been removed from the store. Weird.

So people who disconnect from a home network don’t stay disconnected into the next day, I’m assuming. If they forgot about it

Yeah but that is a bizarre way to do it, what if I disconnect at 4:30 AM, its just going to reconnect in 30 minutes?

Appreciate the link, its unfortunate that this is some weird QoL thing which gives you less control over your device.

Siri turns off wifi for real if you tell her to.

Yeah the link Zeyphersan so kindly provided says you can also turn it off for real in Settings. It's just dumb (to me) because having it on control center with one swipe was very convenient. I basically always have wifi off unless I'm using air drop with friends/family. So it was nice to just flick it on real quick then back off.

giga

Yeah the link Zeyphersan so kindly provided says you can also turn it off for real in Settings. It's just dumb (to me) because having it on control center with one swipe was very convenient. I basically always have wifi off unless I'm using air drop with friends/family. So it was nice to just flick it on real quick then back off.
You never use WiFi? RIP your battery.

giga

Eh, haven't had issues thus far. I have problems with intermittent wifi signals at home and at work, so I don't see how constantly searching for network is better for the battery than turning off the wifi.
5ghz? Fix your home router and you will see better better life. Connecting to a signal a that’s within feet of you is much lighter than one hundreds of feet away.

5ghz? Fix your home router and you will see better better life. Connecting to a signal a that’s within feet of you is much lighter than one hundreds of feet away.

Yeah, its a brand new router but I live in a huge apartment complex so there is a lot of interference. Kind of getting off topic on the thread here though!

giga

Yeah, its a brand new router but I live in a huge apartment complex so there is a lot of interference. Kind of getting off topic on the thread here though!
If it’s new it should be dual band and have a 5ghz radio. That’s the one you should be connecting to.

Sec0nd

I like some of the newer designs Apple implemented with iOS11. But I can't help to feel that it's all just an incoherent mess now. All the font usage in the Apple apps are fundamentally different to every other app out there. There was something super comforting in the fact that if you use an iPhone that everything sort of looks the same. Or at least use the same design principals. When I came from Android a couple of years back it was kind of the wild west regarding design. Every app could look radically different. Now I get the same feeling on iOS.

It's just so incoherent and feels messy because of it. I can't really stand it.

Edit: Also, the newer design isn't implemented in every Apple app. Which doesn't help.

Fliesen

Yeah but that is a bizarre way to do it, what if I disconnect at 4:30 AM, its just going to reconnect in 30 minutes?

Appreciate the link, its unfortunate that this is some weird QoL thing which gives you less control over your device.

i mean, a 'new day' has to start at some time
Better at 5am than at midnight, imho.

Also, yeah, "what if i disconnect at 4:30 AM" ... yeah, then it's going to reconnect 30 minutes later. Big deal? I mean, now we're really nitpicking.

Laekon

Also, yeah, "what if i disconnect at 4:30 AM" ... yeah, then it's going to reconnect 30 minutes later. Big deal? I mean, now we're really nitpicking.
No he isn’t. He choose to turn off WiFi but the device turns it back on. Do you have anything else that does the opposite of what you want it to do?

I mostly just don’t understand the impetus for that change.

We need an equivalent of the "Defaults Write" macOS terminal command on iOS. I totally understand why Apple doesn't want to add a "turn wifi completely off" option to Control Center, but there are a few advanced users who will legitimately need such a feature. And Apple is giving them a worse product.

Maybe secret Safari URLs would do the trick. There'd still of course need to be a confirmation screen to prevent malicious use.

SuperPac

I mostly just don’t understand the impetus for that change.

Most users disabled wifi via control center to get off the network they're currently joined to, right? But other systems in iOS use those radios for functions like handoff, location services, etc. So now the control center toggle just does the one thing most users wanted it to do - leaves the wifi network you're joined to. You don't have to remember to turn it back on to use the other services. As someone who was turning wifi on/off because of a spotty wifi network at work, I like this change. I don't have to remember to turn Wifi back on when I get home now.

Means also putting your phone in Airplane mode doesn't disconnect your Apple Watch or Airpods when using them on a flight which is also great.

The bugs are terrible. Phone will just get suck in an orientation and not rotate despite moving the device. Gotta lock and unlock to fix.

And notifications need jesus or something. It used to remember if I was viewing widgets or notifications and display whichever I was previously on. Not it default back to notifications every time.

Means also putting your phone in Airplane mode doesn't disconnect your Apple Watch or Airpods when using them on a flight which is also great.

Just tried this and airplane mode from control center definitely disconnects my airpods and apple watch.

Most users disabled wifi via control center to get off the network they're currently joined to, right? But other systems in iOS use those radios for functions like handoff, location services, etc. So now the control center toggle just does the one thing most users wanted it to do - leaves the wifi network you're joined to. You don't have to remember to turn it back on to use the other services. As someone who was turning wifi on/off because of a spotty wifi network at work, I like this change. I don't have to remember to turn Wifi back on when I get home now.

Wouldn’t it be better to have a WiFi auto re-enable setting to toggle? Your use case varies greatly from mine.

Fliesen

Wouldn't it be better to have a WiFi auto re-enable setting to toggle? Your use case varies greatly from mine.

yeah, but your use-case is definitely the more niche one, wouldn't you agree?

I think the toggle should do what most people want it to do: disconnect me from the current WiFi network (like when the public wifi you autoconnected to is way slower than your LTE connection, or when your work firewall doesn't allow certain connections) - and at best do that without screwing with apple's continuity protocols (AirDrop, Handoff, AirPlay, Bluetooth Audio, ...)

Wait, is Bluetooth allowed on flights now?

Even Wi-Fi is allowed on most planes now (because they wanna sell you an hours of internet for 10 bucks on their hotspot. You're just meant to leave it turned off during take-off and landing, and leave your cellular radio off throughout the entire flight (i.e. -> Airplane mode on, with WiFi and Bluetooth on)

I think the toggle should do what most people want it to do: disconnect me from the current WiFi network (like when the public wifi you autoconnected to is way slower than your LTE connection, or when your work firewall doesn't allow certain connections) - and at best do that without screwing with apple's continuity protocols (AirDrop, Handoff, AirPlay, Bluetooth Audio, ...)

Let users decide the behavior in control center options. Problem solved. Both can configure it to work how they want it.

When I turn off wifi I expect the radio to turn off. Same with Bluetooth. But I understand the ramifications of that choice.

Fliesen

Let users decide the behavior in control center options. Problem solved. Both can configure it to work how they want it.

Of course you're not wrong, but we're still talking about Apple here.
Allowing you to configure what individual toggles do? - i don't think there's any real precedent for that, so i don't think it's reasonable to have such expectations.

And since they don't do that, i think having the buttons in control center do what they're doing right now is the best choice for the average user.

giga

Neither is using a Kindle during take-off, and you can't do that either.

Edit: Unless they actually changed that stupid rule since I last flew.
Pretty sure that’s more about not having loose things during takeoff to prevent injury rather than wireless radios.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don’t like the new massive control centre. I use the calculator a lot and liked the old mini version for quick access to it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Neither is using a Kindle during take-off, and you can't do that either.

Edit: Unless they actually changed that stupid rule since I last flew.

Most flights I’ve been on in the last year or two have allowed you to use iPhones and iPads during takeoff and landing as log as they are in flight safe mode

I honestly don't know how people use that wifi toggle. I certainly don't think the entire OS should be catered to my individual whims. It's just strange to me to remove this level of control from the user.

And the Damn thing is prompting me to enable dnd while driving which I do not want enabled. It gave me two choices

-turn on

-set up later

Fuck this nanny shit.

And the Damn thing is prompting me to enable dnd while driving which I do not want enabled. It gave me two choices

-turn on

-set up later

Fuck this nanny shit.

The drive thing is weird. You can easily be a passenger in a car so having so switch back and forth from driving mode on driving mode off is just unnecessary.

Fliesen

I honestly don't know how people use that wifi toggle. I certainly don't think the entire OS should be catered to my individual whims. It's just strange to me to remove this level of control from the user.

The level of control is still there. Settings -> Wi/Fi -> Wi/Fi on/off.

Previously, if you just wanted to disconnect from the unreliable WiFi you were currently connected to, you had to turn-off wifi altogether and hit "FORGET THIS NETWORK" to prevent it from auto connecting.
(cmiiw)

The drive thing is weird. You can easily be a passenger in a car so having so switch back and forth from driving mode on driving mode off is just unnecessary.

Then don't have it set to "automatic". (options are 'automatic', 'when connected to car bluetooth' and 'manual')
Seriously, you guys...

I wasn't even driving. I was standing inside a dunkins trying to open my phone to pay for a coffee.

I just want to know how to keep that dumb shit off forever.

I wasn't even driving. I was standing inside a dunkins trying to open my phone to pay for a coffee.

I just want to know how to keep that dumb shit off forever.

lol guess I shouldn't complain

The level of control is still there. Settings -> Wi/Fi -> Wi/Fi on/off.

Previously, if you just wanted to disconnect from the unreliable WiFi you were currently connected to, you had to turn-off wifi altogether and hit "FORGET THIS NETWORK" to prevent it from auto connecting.
(cmiiw)

Then don't have it set to "automatic". (options are 'automatic', 'when connected to car bluetooth' and 'manual')
Seriously, you guys...
It's not the end of the world. I can still use my phone. I just find this stuff to be unnecessary over reach. They are changing stuff just to change it.

Settings -> Do not Disturb -> Do not Disturb while Driving / activate -> Manually

I'm not sure if this is the same problem as Mammoth Jones, but even with this set I keep getting notifications suggesting that I enable DnD While Driving during my subway commute. I don't even have a drivers license, can I make these go away forever?

subrock

Anyone else in Canada unable to get the TV app? I’ve looked all over the App Store and there’s nothing on my device. I’m on the GM and not the public release if that makes a difference.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

you don't have less control. You can still turn the radio(s) off in the relevant Settings page. The article linked to only applies "turning off" BT and WiFi from the Control Center. As mentioned a few pages back, this was done (Control Center) because most people "turn off" wifi or BT to disconnect from devices and/or save battery life, which this still accomplishes, WHILE still leaving Apple QOL features intact (Pencil, Watch, Airdrop, Continuity/Handoff, Hot Spot, etc), which most people probably don't/wouldn't realize that those features depend on wifi and/or BT (or even if they did no, would want them still available).

So you get a way to disconnect from BT and wifi devices and save battery life while still having Apple QOL features, AND you have a way to actually turn off the radios. Apple didn't take anything away from anyone. In fact they gave MORE options.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem as Mammoth Jones, but even with this set I keep getting notifications suggesting that I enable DnD While Driving during my subway commute. I don't even have a drivers license, can I make these go away forever?

yeah I am not getting Apple's Manual setting.Just set it to Connected to Car BT.

Fliesen

Ugh. Thanks. But it was already set to that.

Thought I was missing something.

oh ok, that's not how i'd expect it to work :/
i stand corrected

It's not the end of the world. I can still use my phone. I just find this stuff to be unnecessary over reach. They are changing stuff just to change it.
Well, as someone who sometimes needs to disconnect from our company WiFi (because the firewall blocks certain protocols for WiFi clients - like my parents' home alarm system, ftp clients and ... well, certain mobile games :/ ) they didn't change something (to the worse) but rather added a very useful feature. While leaving the functionality you would require very much intact.

Also, i don't wanna know how many people a month blow through their data cap because they want to disconnect from a WiFi network for some reason or another, forget to turn it back on and then stream netflix over LTE.
That did happen to me, too :/

Top Bottom