• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Future

you don't have less control. You can still turn the radio(s) off in the relevant Settings page. The article linked to only applies "turning off" BT and WiFi from the Control Center. As mentioned a few pages back, this was done (Control Center) because most people "turn off" wifi or BT to disconnect from devices and/or save battery life, which this still accomplishes, WHILE still leaving Apple QOL features intact (Pencil, Watch, Airdrop, Continuity/Handoff, Hot Spot, etc), which most people probably don't/wouldn't realize that those features depend on wifi and/or BT (or even if they did no, would want them still available).

So you get a way to disconnect from BT and wifi devices and save battery life while still having Apple QOL features, AND you have a way to actually turn off the radios. Apple didn't take anything away from anyone. In fact they gave MORE options.

They just removed the shortcuts, which for some power users will be annoying. It took them too long to even add those items in the control center, so it’s annoying that they have already started limiting the functionality of that shortcut.

It’s also less intuitive. I can’t think of another device that has a toggle like this that doesn’t truly turn off the radio. So most will be confused at first. Non power users will probably never even understand

Only power users will complain about this. Which is why I’ll never understand why they don’t add tweaking for power users in the settings app. Simple toggle for control center to turn off radios or turn off active connection would have done it. Reminds me of their music ratings removal for ios10, that they eventually updated to add a power option for because why not make people happy

My seven month old iPhone 7 plus is struggling with the battery now i've updated - 80% gone in just over 9 hours. My phone feels hot as well.

TI82

Banned
Tried out the new iPads at the store yesterday, love the pencil it's great. But I really REALLY hate using iOS. Truly awful experience.

Anyway, does anyone know if a surface or Galaxy tab s3 is most similar?

Fliesen

Only power users will complain about this. Which is why I'll never understand why they don't add tweaking for power users in the settings app. Simple toggle for control center to turn off radios or turn off active connection would have done it. Reminds me of their music ratings removal for ios10, that they eventually updated to add a power option for because why not make people happy

But why allow for that kind of fragmentation, when "power users" could simply: 3D touch the settings app -> WiFi and flip the toggle. Or ask Siri.

Apple was never really about 'allowing power users to customize their user experience'. I don't know why you're expecting them to be, now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Anyone else in Canada unable to get the TV app? I’ve looked all over the App Store and there’s nothing on my device. I’m on the GM and not the public release if that makes a difference.
Ton of people have this problem, no one has figured out the issue yet afaik. I have the TV app on the ipad, but not on the phone (both iOS 11, but phone is using GM, and ipad is using regular public release)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just tried this and airplane mode from control center definitely disconnects my airpods and apple watch.

Did you re-enable BT after turning on Airplane mode?
I believe you only need to do this once, so that the phone remembers that you want to keep BT on when using Airplane mode.

They just removed the shortcuts, which for some power users will be annoying. It took them too long to even add those items in the control center, so it’s annoying that they have already started limiting the functionality of that shortcut.

It’s also less intuitive. I can’t think of another device that has a toggle like this that doesn’t truly turn off the radio. So most will be confused at first. Non power users will probably never even understand

Only power users will complain about this. Which is why I’ll never understand why they don’t add tweaking for power users in the settings app. Simple toggle for control center to turn off radios or turn off active connection would have done it. Reminds me of their music ratings removal for ios10, that they eventually updated to add a power option for because why not make people happy

Funny how we see things differently.
For me the "Power User" option is to disconnect from the network, but continue to use Wifi to allow my other devices to interact with the wifi signal.

grmlin

They should just allow me to jump directly into the settings by long pressing an icon in the control center or something.

If I remember correctly even my Galaxy S4 did this years ago

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Funny how we see things differently.
For me the "Power User" option is to disconnect from the network, but continue to use Wifi to allow my other devices to interact with the wifi signal.

kind of my thought also. MY desired goal is to disconnect from BT devices while still connecting to my watch, or "shutting down" wifi connections but still being able to get an airdrop while out and about. etc If I "turn off" BT on my Ipad, I would still (as a dumb user) expect to be able to use my Pencil. etc

the "power user" who wants to shut off the radios completely, already knows that option exists in Settings. Users as described above, are more likely to assume that hitting the quick access buttons will still allow that "basic functionality" through, and less likely to understand that the quick access buttons take it away completely, and they have to dig into Settings to accomplish (or not) what they want.

Fliesen

Just tried this and airplane mode from control center definitely disconnects my airpods and apple watch.

yeah, as dallow said, i think the last used settings are 'sticky'

i.e. - if the last time you turned OFF airplane mode, your BT was on, turning ON airplane mode will not disconnect your BT. If that makes sense

edit: just tested this.
giphy.gif

airplane mode (with BT / Wifi on) - turn airplane mode off - enter airplane mode (BT / WiFi stays on)

that screen recording feature ... so good...

BeeDog

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any way to actually buy iPad-only apps now that the iTunes client doesn’t handle apps anymore? I only have my iPhone present (my iPad is busted) and I want to be able to nab the iPad-only apps on sale etc. The iPhone app store doesn’t list those.

If not, feels like a massive oversight.

Red

I don’t like the new massive control centre. I use the calculator a lot and liked the old mini version for quick access to it
What is different now? The control center looks different but the process of activating the calculator is exactly the same. Same number of steps, same process.

Is it different on iPad maybe? I haven’t tried that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I’d youre going to let me customise control centre -et me properly customise it - let me remove everything regardless of what you think is useful. Let me move them anywhere and resize them (eg music controls so I can see a small image)

Love the new control center. I was used to dealing with THREE panes before - I use Home to control my Hue lights. This is so much simpler.

But I agree, I’d love to delete some of the widgets or move them around.

mokeyjoe

Tried out the new iPads at the store yesterday, love the pencil it's great. But I really REALLY hate using iOS. Truly awful experience.

Anyway, does anyone know if a surface or Galaxy tab s3 is most similar?

I recently bought my iPad Pro after looking and trying out both these devices. The tab S3 just wasn’t good enough, in no small part due to the poor android tab support in the ecosystem. I wouldn’t spend money on that (and didn’t).

The Surface was a much more interesting proposition, as it runs full Windows. This makes it a viable laptop replacement. Also it’s stylus support is pretty good. However it is again let down by poor support for tablet apps, as well as being a bit bulky and with lacklustre battery life (for my tastes anyway).

I hadn’t even considered the iPad tbh, but having tested it it was clear it’s by far the best tablet experience available. The Pencil with that 120hz screen make for the best writing experience, and the ecosystem, with proper, high quality tablet specific applications make it the only serious choice if you want to do work on a tablet. The Surface is good if you’re using it as a computer, with occasional tablet use, but isn’t as great a tablet. So it depends on your usage case.

Having never owned an iOS device before I struggle to see how, despite some quirks, the user experience is ‘awful’. These things are always subjective of course, but I suggest that once you’re more familiar with it you’ll find it’s a pretty efficient tablet UI.

SuperPac

Huh. Going into Airplane mode from control center did not disconnect either of mine - just tried it twice again now and it still didn’t disconnect, watch or AirPods.

aravuus

I recently bought my iPad Pro after looking and trying out both these devices. The tab S3 just wasn’t good enough, in no small part due to the poor android tab support in the ecosystem. I wouldn’t spend money on that (and didn’t).

The Surface was a much more interesting proposition, as it runs full Windows. This makes it a viable laptop replacement. Also it’s stylus support is pretty good. However it is again let down by poor support for tablet apps, as well as being a bit bulky and with lacklustre battery life (for my tastes anyway).

I hadn’t even considered the iPad tbh, but having tested it it was clear it’s by far the best tablet experience available. The Pencil with that 120hz screen make for the best writing experience, and the ecosystem, with proper, high quality tablet specific applications make it the only serious choice if you want to do work on a tablet. The Surface is good if you’re using it as a computer, with occasional tablet use, but isn’t as great a tablet. So it depends on your usage case.

Having never owned an iOS device before I struggle to see how, despite some quirks, the user experience is ‘awful’. These things are always subjective of course, but I suggest that once you’re more familiar with it you’ll find it’s a pretty efficient tablet UI.

I can agree with this. At first I definitely disliked a lot of the stuff iOS did, but after an hour or two of tinkering around with my new iPad, I can safely say this is the nicest tablet experience I’ve had. Of course I’ll forever miss stuff like the back button, but I ended up liking this so much that I think I’m gonna buy an iPhone 8 as my next phone, somewhere around Christmas.

snack

so turning off the toggles doesn't turn off the radio. what was the point of the toggles themselves then. no wonder my battery life is so poor with ios 11.

mokeyjoe

I can agree with this. At first I definitely disliked a lot of the stuff iOS did, but after an hour or two of tinkering around with my new iPad, I can safely say this is the nicest tablet experience I’ve had. Of course I’ll forever miss stuff like the back button, but I ended up liking this so much that I think I’m gonna buy an iPhone 8 as my next phone, somewhere around Christmas.

I absolutely, 100% prefer Android on phones. For more reasons than I can possibly list here. I like the speed and stability of iOS, but I could never get used to the way it deal with notifications for instance. Yuk.

But if you’re using the tablet for anything more than media consumption, iOS is way ahead on a tablet form factor. I can only really speak for the Pro of course, but it’s clear that Apple are the only ones who care about innovating in that market. Android on tablet is a blown up phone UI, whereas iOS operates quite differently on a tablet.

The gestures alone make a ton more sense. Swipe back is a better solution than a back button on a large screen for instance, the trouble is the behaviour isn’t as consistent per-app as the back button.

TI82

Banned

I have a Galaxy note 10.1 2014. I love it, Samsung makes the best mobile tablets other than surface IMO. I just like the apple pencil in particular that's why I asked about the surface and tab s3 since they have better pencils and my note 10.1 is a bit heavy now which is definitely a first world problem.

My seven month old iPhone 7 plus is struggling with the battery now i've updated - 80% gone in just over 9 hours. My phone feels hot as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that iOS 11 uses more of your local data to provide context for Siri, so after upgrading it has to trawl through your emails, photos, etc. to find relevant info. It probably does this in the background when you're not actively using the device. This may or may not explain some of the battery life complaints, but shouldn't take more than a day or two to finish the process.

Also worth going to Settings -> Battery to see which apps might be getting a lot of use. If you tap the clock icon it will show exactly how much usage each app has been getting.

mokeyjoe

I have a Galaxy note 10.1 2014. I love it, Samsung makes the best mobile tablets other than surface IMO. I just like the apple pencil in particular that's why I asked about the surface and tab s3 since they have better pencils and my note 10.1 is a bit heavy now which is definitely a first world problem.

Well if you’re happy with getting an Android tablet then by all means stick with it. It depends what you’re going to be using th Pencil for.

Which comes back to the iOS ecosystem. As you’ll never find as good art or notetaking apps on Android or Windows as you will on ios. It’s not just about the hardware, you should look to see what the software situation is like too.

yeah, as dallow said, i think the last used settings are 'sticky'

i.e. - if the last time you turned OFF airplane mode, your BT was on, turning ON airplane mode will not disconnect your BT. If that makes sense

edit: just tested this.
giphy.gif

airplane mode (with BT / Wifi on) - turn airplane mode off - enter airplane mode (BT / WiFi stays on)

that screen recording feature ... so good...

Record is sweet

TI82

Banned
Well if you’re happy with getting an Android tablet then by all means stick with it. It depends what you’re going to be using th Pencil for.

Which comes back to the iOS ecosystem. As you’ll never find as good art or notetaking apps on Android or Windows as you will on ios. It’s not just about the hardware, you should look to see what the software situation is like too.

I take all my school notes using an app called Squid on Android. It is really great, not sure where this idea that Android doesn't have good note apps comes from.

Edit: these posts are super off topic for this OT though so I'm done, can continue Ina PM if you wish

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so turning off the toggles doesn't turn off the radio. what was the point of the toggles themselves then. no wonder my battery life is so poor with ios 11.
It turns off discoverability and searching, which are both the big drains. So there is still a relatively big battery improvement.

aravuus

I absolutely, 100% prefer Android on phones. For more reasons than I can possibly list here. I like the speed and stability of iOS, but I could never get used to the way it deal with notifications for instance. Yuk.

Haha, yeah the notifications are definitely weird. I’ll hold on to my oneplus 3 for sure even after getting the new phone, just in case. I feel like that’s the only thing that would take more than a day to get used to on an iPhone, and I hope I’m right.

I’m gonna miss the app that shows the locations of all of my city’s buses, though.

jts

...hate me...
I don't see it there since the gesture for it (which is easier to do) makes it redundant.
Personally I don't even use it on iPhone 6s+ since I'm hardwired for the double click, but the force press and feedback is just so very satisfying lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I never knew there was 3D touch app switching... How did you do it?

You just 3D Touch at the left edge of the phone screen.
Once pushed you’ll see the apps pop out into cards and then you just slide over to whatever you want like normal.

You can push and slide immediately to the right across to screen to quickly jump back to the last app. Kind of like the 3 finger swipe on iPad.

It works perfectly if you’re caseless.
But harder to activate with a case that is obscuring the edge a bit.

I feel like Airplane mode should turn off cellular while retaining BT & Wifi. Specific toggles for Wifi & BT though should turn those off because that is the user expectation.

If Apple don't want to go back to this, then they should at least make it a 3D touch option so you can choose between whether you want the new "disconnect" behaviour or if you want "off means off".

some other things bugging me though:
- Getting a lot of location usage. the icon is almost continually active in the status bar (i get that this is also related to new wifi behaviour).
- Right now it just feels like it takes longer than it should to get to the long press menu. The timings for invoking drag & drop vs long press for options if you click a link need to be tightened up. You can trigger the long press if you let go as soon as the D&D animation activate - but that feels unintuitive and also weirdly off putting.
- Too much jank and odd behaviour when trying to move around stuff on the home screen.

I don't expect any x.0 version to be perfect but I feel like this needed more time in the oven. iOS 11 is a pretty good metaphor for the state of Apple and its pressure to hit yearly targets imo — its full of great ideas... but its just not ready or as polished as things used to be in the past.

I don't expect any x.0 version to be perfect but I feel like this needed more time in the oven. iOS 11 is a pretty good metaphor for the state of Apple and its pressure to hit yearly targets imo — its full of great ideas... but its just not ready or as polished as things used to be in the past.

This yearly drumbeat affects the whole industry though. Unfortunately Apple isn't in the position that they were in the old days of OS X where they could take a year and do a Snow Leopard refinement release because Windows was so far behind in its features and experience. Google is just constantly gunning for them. I'd say that Apple's releases are still more polished than the competition though.

What I don't understand is why long-running bugs in Apple apps don't get fixed. The weather app for instance has the hourly forecast just disappear sometimes. Just a blank area there. This has been going on since iOS 9 and it was still doing it during the 11 betas.

Bullshit. Was great. Faster than double clicking, which also requires you to take your finger totally off the display. Trash method.

It was twitchy at best. I'm ok with it being in and it should come back. But not gonna pretend it worked as reliably as double tapping the home button.

Red

It was twitchy at best. I'm ok with it being in and it should come back. But not gonna pretend it worked as reliably as double tapping the home button.
It took me maybe a week of use to understand it. Following that, never failed me even a single time.

In what way was it unreliable for you?

Top Bottom