• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Fliesen

That’s not true. SlideOver exists on the iPad Pros too, and you can even use it in addition to side-by-side. I use it all the time now.

oh, apologies, i always thought slideover was a 'reduced' version of the side-by-side splitscreen that simply prevented you from using both apps at the same time (due to the limites RAM)

Ambitious

okckzaoa.png

Wanna know what I want to see in your release notes? How about some fucking release notes?

Yeah, I really hate the current trend of really vague release notes. Facebook’s being the worst (among others).

Basically anything primarily cloud/service based wants to iterate on the server side, not on the app side, and roll out features gradually to users rather than instantly as everyone installs the new app version. I get it.

But the total disregard for release notes and the comically contemptuous treatment of proper versioning still bugs the hell out of me. These things are hallmarks of basic respect for your users.

Sorry I didn't mean for that to sound like a shot aimed at your advice. My frustration is with that being the only real solution from a company such as Apple, not at those people offering it.

No worries. I can understand the frustration for sure, but I also don't realistically expect Apple's support staff to know how to fix the software problems when they are bugs the engineers are probably still trying to fix. Unfortunately this is a result of the yearly update cycles and teams racing to the finish line with their features.

So weather widgets are not working for me. I got between Jersey and Philly as i work in the city. I got into the city and come home and the weather widget still says philly with the temperature in the middle of the afternoon. Odd thing is the time of day is right. I have to restart it to say jersey. I then applied the weather channel widget and that worked until I got into the city and the temperature wont display at all. I hope iOS 11.1 brings a fix.

Do you have Background App Refresh turned on for the Weather app? (Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh) That's what allows Weather to check the location and grab new weather data in the background. If it has been turned off, the app won't be able to update until you open the app again.

br3wnor

Running into a very annoying issue w/ how WiFi works now and want to know if anyone else is experiencing something similar (though I admit my set up is a little unique)

I have WiFi hotspots offered through my Cable company, most of them are pretty shitty, but every once in a while I’ll get a good one in an area of bad service and the feature is useful. Where I work is a place where there is a WiFi hotspot, but it absolutely sucks and is basically unusable. As a result, I tether my iPad to my iPhone (which I use as a hotspot) and the setup works fine.

Now I understand that turning the WiFi “off” from the swipe up menu doens’t actually turn it off and while I don’t agree w/ that design choice, I can live w/ it. The problem I’m running into, is that even when I go into the settings and explicitly turn WiFi off, my phone will sometimes in tether mode, connect to this shitty wifi hotspot and be worthless. I then have to go into my phone, turn wifi off AGAIN, then turn hotspot off and back on, before finally reconnecting to it w/ my iPad.

It’s a really annoying problem that happens 3-4 times a day while I’m in my office and I don’t want to just delete the hotspot wifi information from my phone because like I said, it does come in handy throughout the week when I’m in areas of bad service and find a good wifi hotspot.

Anyone else deal w/ this? Shouldn’t my wifi stay off once I disable it through settings?

Running into a very annoying issue w/ how WiFi works now and want to know if anyone else is experiencing something similar (though I admit my set up is a little unique)

I have WiFi hotspots offered through my Cable company, most of them are pretty shitty, but every once in a while I’ll get a good one in an area of bad service and the feature is useful. Where I work is a place where there is a WiFi hotspot, but it absolutely sucks and is basically unusable. As a result, I tether my iPad to my iPhone (which I use as a hotspot) and the setup works fine.

Now I understand that turning the WiFi “off” from the swipe up menu doens’t actually turn it off and while I don’t agree w/ that design choice, I can live w/ it. The problem I’m running into, is that even when I go into the settings and explicitly turn WiFi off, my phone will sometimes in tether mode, connect to this shitty wifi hotspot and be worthless. I then have to go into my phone, turn wifi off AGAIN, then turn hotspot off and back on, before finally reconnecting to it w/ my iPad.

It’s a really annoying problem that happens 3-4 times a day while I’m in my office and I don’t want to just delete the hotspot wifi information from my phone because like I said, it does come in handy throughout the week when I’m in areas of bad service and find a good wifi hotspot.

Anyone else deal w/ this? Shouldn’t my wifi stay off once I disable it through settings?

it feels pretty dumb to me that you can connect to another wifi network at all while tethering but i guess there are use cases for it

Tethering from an iOS device to another iOS device requires wifi to be turned on. This is a peer-to-peer, direct form of wifi. iOS might turn the wifi radio back on silently if it thought you wanted to keep tethering... or it could be a bug.

Fliesen

Basically anything primarily cloud/service based wants to iterate on the server side, not on the app side, and roll out features gradually to users rather than instantly as everyone installs the new app version. I get it.

But the total disregard for release notes and the comically contemptuous treatment of proper versioning still bugs the hell out of me. These things are hallmarks of basic respect for your users.

also, Facebook does shitloads of AB testing. The facebook app on my phone can look dramatically different than the one on mine - even though they're the same version.

So sometimes what was added in the new app version only gets rolled out to some of the userbase. - which makes it a weird challenge to decide what and what not to put in the patch notes :p

HF2014

Ok, gotta say either 11.0.1fix battery drain or logging of icloud drive did fix something, but ipad air 2atm at 49%, time use a little more than 5 hours. So i guess i will be able to reach easily 10 hours with a full charge, which was my average time with ios 10. I guess everything is back to normal now for me.

Lol, going to quote myseifl. Dont know what happen, battery at 10%, time use 7h 38 m... so out of the blue, for two hours and a half of time, took 40%...

Fuck you Apple.

dstarMDA

Sorry if it has been talked about in the last few pages but my 6s suffers from some serious lag when using the keyboard mostly. It was not the case when in beta for a few weeks this summer.

Is there some settings to tweak to get rid of this lag ? My gf is also quite furious about her 5s performance.

It’s the first time in years that a iOS update takes such a hit on my device.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

You can turn off auto-join specific WiFi's. If you go to the settings app WiFi section and click the “i” on the specific WiFi network just turn off auto-join. It’s good for those public WiFi networks you use once in a while but don’t want to always connect to automatically.

DavidDesu

Ok... I keep mentioning this.... Slide over/split-screen.

I’ve discovered if you pop an app up on the screen, NOT in the split screen, but the one that hovers above, it acts like the old slide over used to, can be dismissed by swiping the top “handle” bar of the app off the screen, and recalled like the old slide over apps by swiping from any point on the same edge of the screen. What’s infuriating is that split screen apps don’t work the same way, and I can’t work out why.

I loved having Safari as my main window in the left and Tweetbot on the right, but set in proper split screen so I can see both windows fully. Now when I do that there’s not a quick way to dismiss Twitter and get it back again hen I want to focus on Safari. I can dismiss it quickly, but then I need to drag it from the dock and place it in split screen view all over again when I want it back rather than a neat slide like before. Why oh why Apple...

So what’s up with the landscape keyboard on the plus not having the extra keys on the side? This a bug with 11.0.1 or intentionally removed? Don’t see anything in options for it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So what’s up with the landscape keyboard on the plus not having the extra keys on the side? This a bug with 11.0.1 or intentionally removed? Don’t see anything in options for it.
I haven't seen those keys at all since iOS 10. They removed them completely in 11 and I dislike it. I wish I could at least press a button to show a panel with all those options.

ZeroX03

Banned

And when you hit the sides it just defaults to the closest key? That's weird as hell behavior. Not a fan at all.

Symphonia

Banned
Anyone else having troubles connecting to Wi-Fi after updating to iOS11? I’ll have Wi-Fi on in the house, turn mobile data on when I go out leaving Wi-Fi enabled too, come back home and turn data off then...nothing. My phone (iPhone 7 Plus) refuses to pick any Wi-Fi up.

The update has also nerfed the Mail app. Sometimes it fetches my mail, sometimes it asks for a password, sometimes it won’t let me reset my password. Apple fucked this up big time. My battery is also a fucking joke.

big_z

Ios11 seemed fine when I first updated my iPhone 6 but for some reason the battery life has become atrocious the more I’ve used it. Prior to updating I’d charge my phone at night or every day and a half. Can’t even get through 3/4 of a day now without it dying. Averaging 3.5-4 hours per full charge.

Also noticed mail will say it’s updated. Then I’ll exit out and a few minutes later it will update playing the sound but no notification. Notifications overall are equally fucked. The little clear x doesn’t always appear and sometimes I’ll have cleared all my notifications and later I’ll check and there will be a wall of them again, many from the previous day. I think there is something broken with the way ios11 communicates with services and it’s draining battery trying to correct itself. And wtf with app installs taking forever now.
Whatever the case this needs fixing ASAP.

I am 100% convinced the OS has slowed the response time for Touch ID, and I'm paranoid that they did it to ease the transition to Face ID.

I used to be able to unlock my phone by putting my thumb on the fingerprint sensor, lifting my phone to wake, and that's it.

Now I have to lift my phone to wake, wait a second, then put my finger on the sensor. Half the time I do it too quickly and the phone just doesn't process it.

I'm on an SE btw.

Super frustrating.

Hazelhurst

Sorry if it has been talked about in the last few pages but my 6s suffers from some serious lag when using the keyboard mostly. It was not the case when in beta for a few weeks this summer.

Is there some settings to tweak to get rid of this lag ? My gf is also quite furious about her 5s performance.

It’s the first time in years that a iOS update takes such a hit on my device.

Same thing happend to me on my iPhone 6. So infuriating. Luckily I was still able to roll back to iOS 10. My phone is back to being smooth and responsive.

Moreche

If I keep Bluetooth off, my watch will automatically turn it on and off again but the AirPods don’t, they keep Bluetooth turned on.
Also TVOS11 with reduce motion turned on has icon glitches when multitasking.

Just a reminder that this OS had a record number of beta versions :lol
My battery is horrendous (on a 6S+) currently charging twice a day.

And when you hit the sides it just defaults to the closest key? That's weird as hell behavior. Not a fan at all.

The X is effectively a smaller version phone and as such doesn’t have any of the landscape features of the Plus models. As the X is about to be the only phone that matters I'd expect more landscape features to disappear over time (landscape App Store is gone now too for example.)

YouTube was running in the background and eating my battery for god knows why overnight.

Mine has been for all of iOS 11, resorted to force closing it when I’ve finished using it now and not even that stops it -_-

Vuze

The X is effectively a smaller version phone and as such doesn’t have any of the landscape features of the Plus models. As the X is about to be the only phone that matters I'd expect more landscape features to disappear over time (landscape App Store is gone now too for example.)
I'm pretty sure we'll see an iPhone XI Plus next year if they get OLED sourcing in order. I don't think they'll drop the Plus line (and with that landscape). On the other hand, we have the notch which makes landscape a pretty unpleasant view so you might have a point.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am 100% convinced the OS has slowed the response time for Touch ID, and I'm paranoid that they did it to ease the transition to Face ID.

I used to be able to unlock my phone by putting my thumb on the fingerprint sensor, lifting my phone to wake, and that's it.

Now I have to lift my phone to wake, wait a second, then put my finger on the sensor. Half the time I do it too quickly and the phone just doesn't process it.

I'm on an SE btw.

Super frustrating.
Still the same on my 7+.

LordOfChaos

I'm on an SE btw.

Super frustrating.

Delete your fingers and set them again? TouchID 2 is still so speedy on my 7 I consistently have it unlocked by the time it's out of my pocket and in front of my face

I've got some kind of weird Safari rendering error popping up on more and more sites - where essentially a giant white block exactly as wide as the iPhone Plus's horizontal (when held in portrait) resolution blocks 100% of a site. Turning into landscape lets me see the non-blocked portion of the site, and going into tabs view shows the site unobstructed. It's not my ad blocker - that's turned off.

Anyone else getting this weird-ass issue? It's hitting GAF (whether it's the default mobile site or I request the desktop site), google.com, plenty of others.

edit: restarting the phone fixed it. fucking weird.

Ugh.

1. iphone gets stuck in landscape orientation despite turning back to portrait 15 seconds ago

2. Sometimes just won't wake up from lock screen.

3. Airpods keep randomly disconnecting.

Pepiope

I know Pokoemon Go is a battery killer in general, but I lose a 1% every minute if it's on screen. Hopefully its just iOS. Cant even go for a walk unless I have a battery pack with me.

samn

Yeah, I really hate the current trend of really vague release notes. Facebook’s being the worst (among others).

I have no issue with vague release notes. Facebook don't release a changelog for their website, so why would they for their app?

What really pisses me off is cutesy nicey funny 'we're normal people too and we have trendy marketing departments' type changelogs.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Never had any issues with my 6S Plus until iOS 11. Multiple crashes / freezing every day since I upgraded.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just upgraded from a 6 to an 8 plus and all my issues with CarPlay are almost magically solved. Amazon music, audible, iheartradio and more all work instantly and consistently. Hopefully this means that the other initial handshake issues are fixed or improved but it will take a few days to be sure.

Now to try and fix the crazy iCloud problem I have (reports as full even though everything is deleted on every device and cloud sync)

I seem to be having loads of problems with this on my iPhone 7. For starters, the battery for seems to be running down a lot quicker. Apps constantly crash. The phone frequently freezes where I have to do force resets (which I have done a few times tonight). For some reason I also wasn’t getting any audio coming through during calls 😑

I have typically had a great experience with Apple hardware and software over the years, but this feels like a huge misstep by them.

I'm on an SE btw.

Super frustrating.

I've noticed Touch ID being more finicky on my SE with OS 11 as well.

I seem to be having loads of problems with this on my iPhone 7. For starters, the battery for seems to be running down a lot quicker. Apps constantly crash. The phone frequently freezes where I have to do force resets (which I have done a few times tonight). For some reason I also wasn’t getting any audio coming through during calls 😑

I have typically had a great experience with Apple hardware and software over the years, but this feels like a huge misstep by them.

I turned off some iCloud apps in the iCloud settings and it helped the battery life

LordOfChaos

Ugh.

1. iphone gets stuck in landscape orientation despite turning back to portrait 15 seconds ago

2. Sometimes just won't wake up from lock screen.

3. Airpods keep randomly disconnecting.

I keep having random apps start in landscape mode, like Mail, despite nothing else being in that mode and the phone being upright.

Also had the volume buttons stop working before a reset.

Oof, Apple, just slow down the OS release cycle if this is going to be the .0 (and .0.1). Even if that meant the 8 would have to launch on 10, that would be a better first impression.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I must say that the inclusion of Apple TV remote to Control Centre is the true MVP of this release. It’s goddam great, even has Siri, and can copy paste passwords. One of my mist used functionalities now.

big_z

I'm on an SE btw.

Super frustrating.

Also noticed this but it also wants you to click after it unlocks which makes it feel even slower.

Siri is also a lot slower. Asking to play a song or check the time can take so long it often seems like the request failed only to finally go through just as you’re about to ask again.

iOS 11 is bad. Heads would be rolling if jobs was alive.

Also noticed this but it also wants you to click after it unlocks which makes it feel even slower.

Siri is also a lot slower. Asking to play a song or check the time can take so long it often seems like the request failed only to finally go through just as you’re about to ask again.

iOS 11 is bad. Heads would be rolling if jobs was alive.

For the first point check that rest finger to open is still set.

Settings - General - Accessibility - Home Button.

Am I the only one having problems getting Music and Podcasts to actually download and be stored on the device? Most of the time, the wheel spins or it will finish a download and not be stored on the device.

Top Bottom