• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

JMTHEFOX

Live on both my iPad Mini 4 and iPhone 6s. Installing it on iPad first, while I wait for my apps on my iPhone to finish updating before upgrading.

Best of luck to those who are excited for iOS 11!

br3wnor

Finally popped up on my phone, unfortunately don’t have good WiFi at work so gotta wait until I’m home to update. Looking forward to getting new Watch OS and finally having double tap of my AirPods = skip track.

Vuze

so with file browsing will it be easier to set up custom ringtones?
I don't know how ringtone setup works (silent 4 lyfe) but the Files app is just a hub for your cloud services basically. You can't access the iPad file system.

Fliesen

as i understand it, the "file browser" is just a unified file browser across apps that support it.
Like, similar to what the share sheet did, just all apps in one place.

What you can DO with the files you find in that browser is an entirely different deal - like, could you move an audio file into your dropbox and then set it as a ringtone from there? or your google drive? or microsoft OneDrive?

If the answer is no, i'm not sure the file browser app will change this.

Giolon

Not really. I'd say it's harder now since iTunes doesn't manage ringtones anymore. You can still drag and drop from outside iTunes into it though.

I don't know how ringtone setup works (silent 4 lyfe) but the Files app is just a hub for your cloud services basically. You can't access the iPad file system.

That's not entirely accurate. Files allows access and management of files stored directly on your iPad for apps that expose their documents to the app. Examples are the iWork apps, Documents (formerly Readdle Docs), Pixelmator, and Transmit.

Fliesen

... i love this moment each year.

Each of my iDevices plugged in, all of them downloading and / or installing updates.

I know i shouldn't, because there has been moments where an update actually mass-bricked devices, but it's just so much fun to update operating systems

(mat)

Hoping you guys could help me out. Does anyone know where the setting is to reduce the size of the titles in all the native apps? For example, in Messages I now have a giant bold title at the top that reads "Messages", and at the top of my email, a giant bold title that reads "All Inboxes". I'd just like to either turn those off, or make them smaller.

Thanks! :)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
as i understand it, the "file browser" is just a unified file browser across apps that support it.
Like, similar to what the share sheet did, just all apps in one place.

What you can DO with the files you find in that browser is an entirely different deal - like, could you move an audio file into your dropbox and then set it as a ringtone from there? or your google drive? or microsoft OneDrive?

If the answer is no, i'm not sure the file browser app will change this.

It sucks so far.
I use Google Drive and OneDrive a lot.
Opening them in Files is just like having limited versions of those two apps. I'd rather just open the app itself.

... i love this moment each year.

Each of my iDevices plugged in, all of them downloading and / or installing updates.

I know i shouldn't, because there has been moments where an update actually mass-bricked devices, but it's just so much fun to update operating systems
Same here.

Hoping you guys could help me out. Does anyone know where the setting is to reduce the size of the titles in all the native apps? For example, in Messages I now have a giant bold title at the top that reads "Messages", and at the top of my email, a giant bold title that reads "All Inboxes". I'd just like to either turn those off, or make them smaller.

Giga, you know what to do

Nope. Enjoy having these gigantic titles for no reason.

Guess Who

Banned
During the beta I kind of figured the giant headers would somehow make more sense on the iPhone X and that's why they look dumb as hell on previous iPhones, but no, they are equally wasteful and dumb there too.

Hey anyone have it on the iPhone 7? I am getting the 8 plus this Friday but still would like to know to see how it performs for a few days.

Pachimari

I decided that I am gonna upgrade to iOS 11 even though I've been against it ever since the announcement, because of the loss of multiple games. But right now I am having big trouble figuring out how to move my photos and videos from my iPad to my Windows PC lol. I have a feeling I will need iTunes for this...

jesu

Not updating my ipod touch because it will probably remove the ability to make genius playlists on the go.

Vuze

I decided that I am gonna upgrade to iOS 11 even though I've been against it ever since the announcement, because of the loss of multiple games. But right now I am having big trouble figuring out how to move my photos and videos from my iPad to my Windows PC lol. I have a feeling I will need iTunes for this...
You connect your iPad to your PC and access the photos by clicking on the iPad "camera" on in the Computer menu. All your photos should be there (unless you use iCloud Photo smart storage in which case you don't need to do this anyway).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just downloaded.

Question - How do I files (iPad pro)? And are we going to be waiting for stuff like word and photoshop updates to support files, or can I use those immediately at the OS level?

Also, any changes or improvements to Carplay/iPhone 6 battery problems?

Fliesen

fuck, safari's pinned tabs favicon is now colored when the tab is active. - and it's orange on GAF.
I always think that i got a PM in my inbox. :O

Dinskugga

Wtf!!

I thought the file app was a real app that would let me safe files to the iphone-ipad system memory. Not a fucking cloud app collector.

And Apple whats with the bold name in everything???
I know im in imessages ect....

Top Bottom