• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Apt101

Someone just asked me why I always thank Siri after she answers me. I must have just started doing this after switching her voice to British.

Anyway, the slight UI changes quickly grew on me. Not minding it now. Files still isn't showing local files - must be indexing, I assume.

AdanVC

Please keep those iPhone 6 with iOS 11 impressions coming. Even if it's a bit more fluid than 10.3.3 would be a big deal and I might upgrade for that. If it's sluggish and drains battery faster then I will stick with 10.3.3 forever.

Updated about half an hour ago and still getting used to things but I do admit that I'm happier that the font on the calendar is darker and bolder. Sometimes I'd have to double check what the date was at a glance.

Someone just asked me why I always thank Siri after she answers me. I must have just started doing this after switching her voice to British.

Anyway, the slight UI changes quickly grew on me. Not minding it now. Files still isn't showing local files - must be indexing, I assume.

I do the same! It’s probably not as uncommon as you’d think.

Knoxcore

Is HEIF/HEVC only for specific devices?

Also sucks they removed 3D Touch App Switcher. That was the only thing I used 3D Touch for.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Someone with an Ipad Pro and the smart keyboard, open any full screen app, then drag open Facebook messenger so it's in the little box overlayed on the right side, now try to type in a message in messenger. Does the grey, word suggest, bar at the bottom of the screen cover the typing area in messenger when overlayed?

Pein

Banned
I take it back about the 6S plus feeling laggy like an android phone, it’s moving hella quick now.

This is why Apple is king because 2 year old hardware still gets updated and feels lightning quick.

Vuze

Holy, my 5S is still downloading the update (it's progressing, so nah, it's not stuck). At this pace I'm not gonna manage to upgrade my Watch to watchOS 4 tonight 😂

Orbis

Bought my first Apple device since the iPad 2 last week in the form of a 2017 10.5in iPad Pro. Now sitting here on my train home downloading the the update over tethering to my S7 Edge. What a time to be alive lol.

I'm actually most looking forward to the new keyboard, first thing that surprised me was that numbers are hidden away, same with SwiftKey despite the android version having an option to have them always on. Also HDR should be cool, I understand LCD will never be the best way of experiencing it nor is an 8 bit panel but my 2015 Panasonic does an incredible job of HDR despite the same limitations.

I can't get too excited over the other new features as I've barely used iOS for a week.

Guess Who

Banned
Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and Box all support Files.

But all you can do pretty much do is open files.

So, it should be noted: any apps that support the iOS 8 document provider extension will appear in Files. However, these apps will just pop up their old document provider API interfaces that have been accessible in apps since iOS 8. They need another update to fully integrate in Files like iCloud Drive does.

I use Google Drive and OneDrive, and neither has been updated for full Files integration yet. No idea about Dropbox or Box.

definezen

Banned
Indeed, sounds much more natural in German as well.

So this dude presumably spent weeks collecting these design oversights and instead of reporting them he posts a rant as the GM goes live? Seems about right. Regret the click, probably making money off it as well.

I don't think he presents it that way at all. And perhaps he thought some of it would have been fixed in the GM?

Deku Tree

So the files app useless if you’re not a heavy iCloud user?

Other cloud services don't currently work in the way that Apple has advertised they will work in their promotional material on their web site. You get a frustrating pop up box instead of integrated service.

Hopefully patches that add the integrated service with Apples API come soon.

I use a box account that requires a password and the password requirement prevents box sync from working in the files app correctly even though box has been updated to work with the files app.

Guess Who

Banned
FYI, for people who want local document storage that Apple for some reason did not include: Documents by Readdle just updated with full Files app support.

Giolon

Other cloud services don't currently work in the way that Apple has advertised they will work in their promotional material on their web site. You get a frustrating pop up box instead of integrated service.

Hopefully patches that add the integrated service with Apples API come soon.

I use a box account that requires a password and the password requirement prevents box sync from working in the files app correctly even though box has been updated to work with the files app.

Box works integrated with Files perfectly for me since they updated their app last night.

You don’t use 3D Touch for cursor control?

I would assume most people just don't know about it. I didn't until it was mentioned just last week in the iPhone X topic, and I try and keep up with this stuff.

Also I'm surprised at just how many love 3D touch app switching. I can't find any comfortable or quick way of making use of it.

Gandie

Holy, my 5S is still downloading the update (it's progressing, so nah, it's not stuck). At this pace I'm not gonna manage to upgrade my Watch to watchOS 4 tonight 😂

Please report back in this thread. Told my gf to weit for first Impressions.

Majine

Banned
Siri is now hilarious.

With the new voice in my language, she sounds like a know-it-all, like you’re insulting her for asking.

MicH

My 6 is a lot snappier after the update. Scrolling also seems smoother.

Siri feels a bit sluggish though, but I don't know if that's because I just updated. Everything else feels nice and fast.

pronk420

You totally can access local files in the files app, it's one of the locations (On My iPad). Possibly you just need to turn it on?

I've been on the developer beta on iPad for ages but I can't get the update on my iPhone, and it's almost been two hours since it was released. What is this, android?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So, it should be noted: any apps that support the iOS 8 document provider extension will appear in Files. However, these apps will just pop up their old document provider API interfaces that have been accessible in apps since iOS 8. They need another update to fully integrate in Files like iCloud Drive does.

I use Google Drive and OneDrive, and neither has been updated for full Files integration yet. No idea about Dropbox or Box.

Ah, this is good to know!
I knew it couldn't be this thin.

Box just got an update today that explicitly mentions working in the Files App. Will test that out to see.

cackhyena

So far my 6 feels the same. Battery seems same, performance as well. I dig the easier management of unwanted stuff taking up space. The real game changer is on my Pro, though. Holy shit. It's almost like a new device the way it operates.

Stupid question: is it safe to update to iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus through Wi-Fi?

Yes.

Wtf did not expect the dock on my Mini 2. Love the new keyboard. Hate the new notifications but everything else seems good so far (10min). No crashing yet....

Edit made a passcode and took it off to get rid of that notification
You don't need to. You can reject the suggestion again and the notification will go away.

Performance is acceptable on my Mini 2 (whichever the first one with Retina). Found my first bug. The first time you flick upwards to get the control center, the homescreen apps still show up, completely cluttering the screen. Repeating this gets the proper opaque gray background.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Someone with an Ipad Pro and the smart keyboard, open any full screen app, then drag open Facebook messenger so it's in the little box overlayed on the right side, now try to type in a message in messenger. Does the grey, word suggest, bar at the bottom of the screen cover the typing area in messenger when overlayed?

No, it pushes the text entry window up above the grey bar

I've been using Apple Maps more than Google Maps since Apple's Maps now include the speed limit. Glad they added lane assist too.

Deku Tree

Box works integrated with Files perfectly for me since they updated their app last night.

Yeah my box account comes through my employer who force turns on password authentication. The password authentication prevents me from using the files app with box. I don't use box for much so its not a big deal but I hope they find a solution.

X-Frame

If I enable iCloud Photo Library it says it removes photos from iTunes. I didn’t even know that photos is still synced with iTunes?

Aren’t photos synced with the Photos app?

If I enable iCloud Photo Library will that mean I no longer physically sync my photos with my Mac at all?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Are my apps safe if I upgrade right now or will a lot of them become incompatible?

To check if you have any 32-Bit apps installed go to Settings -> General -> About
And if you can click on Applications, it'll show you a list of them. If you can't click it, then you have none.

Top Bottom