• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Calion

hmmm, my 6+ seemingly died during the update, despite being plugged into a computer.

still not turning on despite being plugged in for like a half an hour.

Plug it up to a wall charger, then hold the power button and home button simultaneously for like 10-15 seconds.

Daffy Duck

When you come out an app and return to the home screen it does that sort of of zoom thing, can that be turned off?

It’s making my GF feel funny.

kiguel182

Runs fine with my SE. the new App Store is nice as hell. Main reason I love the iPhone is the app ecosystem and this is a good reason why.

Also, got a ton of free space for some reason (since I got 16 GB that means a lot). Still have a ton of grey used space that is probably system or cache files but well, free space is free!

New control center is awesome but well, not seeing much of new stuff so far. Some UI changes for the new design language (that I like) but not many new features. Siri seems the same and the rest too.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Runs fine with my SE. the new App Store is nice as hell. Main reason I love the iPhone is the app ecosystem and this is a good reason why.

Also, got a ton of free space for some reason (since I got 16 GB that means a lot). Still have a ton of grey used space that is probably system or cache files but well, free space is free!

New control center is awesome but well, not seeing much of new stuff so far. Some UI changes for the new design language (that I like) but not many new features. Siri seems the same and the rest too.
Fellow SE owner here, so this is good to hear.

Souzetsu

Damn. This is really an option that should be added to the Camera, like switching filters and stuff. Especially with 24fps being added as another thing to switch between.

If you're interested, ProCam 4 is able to switch between different video resolutions and FPS settings inside the app. It's $5 for the app itself though.

kendrid

Banned
I post this in the iOS gaming thread but since a lot of you may not go there I'll post it here.

Stack supports AR and it works quite well. Here I am playing it on my cat tree:
xVXiy1bh.jpg

zerotol

Banned

Good to hear. Any idea about how long it took to update your SE?

FaintDeftone

I've had the GM on my phone for about a week now (iPhone 6S Plus) and it seems pretty snappy from what I've noticed.

My series 1 Apple Watch, however, seems pretty damn laggy. Even more so than Watch OS3. Ugh.

EDIT: Actually, after letting the watch chill out for a bit after updating, it has smoothed out a lot. Not so bad.

cjp

Damn. This is really an option that should be added to the Camera, like switching filters and stuff. Especially with 24fps being added as another thing to switch between.

What’s odd is that a previous version of iOS (9 maybe?) allowed you to switch between them by just tapping on them.

mrkgoo

To check if you have any 32-Bit apps installed go to Settings -> General -> About
And if you can click on Applications, it'll show you a list of them. If you can't click it, then you have none.
Mine is unclikable, but I assume it's irrelevant because I'm on an iPhone 5 and unable to update.

Still, it should probably be there for people who are in the market to get a new phone, knowing which apps won't work on the new phone.

Ah well. End of an era. My first iPhone was the 3G and I made a leap to the iPhone 5 with the first bigger screen after 4 years. Today's the day I start dropping into obsoletion for my phone (I'm still on el captain on my mac).

I would say it's time now to upgrade my phone, but honestly I really like ios10 where it is. I may see ignorant I can hold on a bit longer. The iPhone X is the most appealing to me but im still not ready lol

Oh, for the record my watch is saysbup to date on 3.2.3. Glad it recognises I'm still on ios10 and doesn't bug me to update.

number11

"One clever thing that you won't see unless you get an iPhone X: iOS 11 can default to hiding the content of your notifications on the screen, as before. But as soon as it recognizes your face, it will show their contents on your lock screen."

This is one of those things that is tempting me to get an X. I hate how my messages appear on the lock screen for anyone to see.

Quick

Banned
iOS 11 is great on the iPad. Some much-needed updates on functionality.

I’ve been on iOS 11 for a week now and the keyboard is probably my favourite thing so far. I wish they’d apply the same keyboard on the iPhone (currently on a 6). I can see it being useful on Plus phones.

I haven’t had a chance to use slide over much, but it’s not bad with YouTube. Pocket updated to support it, and that’s gonna be really convenient while browsing on Safari.

Additional control options for AirPods are a huge thing for me.

"One clever thing that you won't see unless you get an iPhone X: iOS 11 can default to hiding the content of your notifications on the screen, as before. But as soon as it recognizes your face, it will show their contents on your lock screen."

This is one of those things that is tempting me to get an X. I hate how my messages appear on the lock screen for anyone to see.

Hold on, how is there a lock screen if the phone sees your face? As soon as it sees your face, it unlocks.

arab

Hold on, how is there a lock screen if the phone sees your face? As soon as it sees your face, it unlocks.

it unlocks but the lock screen doesn't go away until you swipe up from the bottom. it's like using TouchID without pressing the home button. the phone will be unlocked but you will not see the home screen until you physically press the home button

Just started to DL the update.

How does it run on iPhone 7?

Mild stutter on home screen after exiting apps, slower app loading, jerky 3D touch.

Other than that, it is more snappier than 10.3.3. And feels very refined compared to iOS 10. They’ve added a bunch of things that make it a nicer experience (more haptic feedback throughout iOS for example).

If you're interested, ProCam 4 is able to switch between different video resolutions and FPS settings inside the app. It's $5 for the app itself though.

Whoa, this might be worth looking into. Thanks for the heads up.

What’s odd is that a previous version of iOS (9 maybe?) allowed you to switch between them by just tapping on them.

Huh, even more inexcusable then. C'mon Apple, bring this back!

eosos

Banned
Updated and it keeps telling me my account has been locked. I press unlock account and I get a cannot verify identity message. Lame.

Z O N E

I don't get why they removed Night Shift from the Control Centre.

It's not even an option to add it back into the Control Centre. So far that's the only annoying thing I've noticed...

Souzetsu

I don't get why they removed Night Shift from the Control Centre.

It's not even an option to add it back into the Control Centre. So far that's the only annoying thing I've noticed...

It's available if you force touch the screen brightness bar. Not sure how to access it from a 6/6 Plus/SE though.

EDIT: Never mind, lol.

cjp

Uh, set message previews to show on unlock only then when the lock screen wakes and you authenticate with Touch ID the message content will reveal without leaving the lock screen.

Vuze

Update is finally done. Make sure to hook up your older phone to the wall, it took about 60% battery while connected to USB on my PC (low power throughput but I thought it would suffice to keep battery topped up - apparently not). Seems to run fairly well on the 5S so far, I’ll give more impressions tomorrow.

Lnkn52

Notifications still suck but overall Im liking how even cleaner the ui/ux looks now. Removing the title from the dock makes a world of difference :p

number11

Uh, set message previews to show on unlock only then when the lock screen wakes and you authenticate with Touch ID the message content will reveal without leaving the lock screen.

Can't believe I've never noticed that before. Has that option always been there before iOS 11?

Top Bottom