• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Yeah don’t install the public betas for 11.1 and watch 4.1, as these are worse than 11 and 4.

Sheesh.
Have to charge by battery on my iPhone 7 and watch twice a day.
Was completely fine on 11 and 4.

I ordered an IPad Pro 12.9 but otherwise use android and Windows devices. Are all file transfers and such regulated to iTunes or what?

Lets break down file transfers. I think we all agree that work documents, photos etc all have moved to the cloud/app model for the better, no one micro manages that shit any more.

Your own Music files, - yeah you are going to want to use iTunes, unless you pay for Spotify or whatever.

Also iOS 11 has the files app, which is largely just a central unified 'access all your cloud drives and files' app, but also supports locally stored files, so it might be of interest to you.

But I think what you might be interested is general varied, maybe larger media, such as TV episodes, movies, maybe audio-books or digital comics that you have that don't exist on an official platform?

Back when I had android. I would copy a bunch of this stuff in a lump to my phone, open it with suitable apps.

These days though (and you could say iOS forced my hand), I just have the right app for the right job.

TV eps or movies? I access my AirVideo library, and tap on the movies I want to download local mobile versions of. (AirVideo HD is like Plex, plays everything, can transcode, but much leaner than Plex). I'm never managing files, I just use the AirVideo app to add/remove as I need to.

Comics? Audiobooks? Bunch of options, but most of them have an 'add to library' function, that runs a brief webserver on your phone on, you access it using the browser on the computer your files are on and drop files on to add to the app's library on the phone.

I honestly think this is just a better overall approach to this stuff, but apologies if I'm preaching to the choir or making assumptions here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How late do you think it’ll be for 'fast' wireless charging? I thought maybe waiting for the X, but could they be really waiting for airpower?

IISANDERII

Fuck this update. I can no longer pause or resume my radio station from the lock screen. Can’t enable/disable night colour from the upswipe menu either.

iPad Air something.

Giolon

Fuck this update. I can no longer pause or resume my radio station from the lock screen. Can't enable/disable night colour from the upswipe menu either.

iPad Air something.
For nightshift, tap and hold on the brightness meter in control center for an expanded menu. Does that not work?

aravuus

Yeah okay, looks like YouTube is doing some weird shit in the background on my iPad too. It’s sitting at 80% battery usage currently. Is there nothing I can do about this?

Yeah okay, looks like YouTube is doing some weird shit in the background on my iPad too. It’s sitting at 80% battery usage currently. Is there nothing I can do about this?

Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and turn that shit off. Well, turn Youtube off anyway, and any other apps that don't absolutely need constant updates like Weather or Maps.

This goes for everyone. I opened it today and found another app had signed on for background updates. I'd bet that most of the battery complaints are actually coming from 3rd party apps chewing up battery in the background.

aravuus

Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh and turn that shit off. Well, turn Youtube off anyway, and any other apps that don't absolutely need constant updates like Weather or Maps.

I actually turned that setting off for almost every single app when I got the device (and checked again when I updated to iOS11 (AND rechecked now just to make sure lol)), figured it would probably do more harm than good. It's on for Telegram and Weather only right now.

I manually killed the Youtube app after writing that post, it's sitting at 37% charge now. I'm just gonna let it sit home and see how much it's gone down when I get back in 6 hours or so.

This update is really pissing me off. My phone is constantly freezing between apps to the point where I am having to hard reset my phone 5 or 6 times a day.

After playing around with an iPhone 8 at the store I want to upgrade from my 6 - but won't until iOS 11 is no worse than 10 in terms of stability and battery.

Gunship

After playing around with an iPhone 8 at the store I want to upgrade from my 6 - but won't until iOS 11 is no worse than 10 in terms of stability and battery.

On an 8 Plus 256gb here and not experiencing any of the problems reported in this thread, it’s rock solid stable and runs beautifully for me. Couldn’t be happier with the 8+.

On an 8 Plus 256gb here and not experiencing any of the problems reported in this thread, it’s rock solid stable and runs beautifully for me. Couldn’t be happier with the 8+.
I can also confirm that. I just got the 8+ last night and I have no issues with the iOS as of now.

aravuus

iPad battery only lost one percent of charge over the last 8-ish hours, so looks like maybe force killing Youtube helped a bit. Weird that it seemed to I guess ignore the "no background stuff please" setting and just do shit without my permission.

I actually turned that setting off for almost every single app when I got the device (and checked again when I updated to iOS11 (AND rechecked now just to make sure lol)), figured it would probably do more harm than good. It's on for Telegram and Weather only right now.

I manually killed the Youtube app after writing that post, it's sitting at 37% charge now. I'm just gonna let it sit home and see how much it's gone down when I get back in 6 hours or so.

Huh. Well, it's possible that background audio sessions don't fall under the same restriction as the App Refresh setting. If YouTube initiated one of those it could've been burning your battery doing god knows what, with no restriction. I remember it was found a couple years ago that Facebook was doing this as well.

So I just noticed that when I get sent messages with the full screen effects in iMessage, it doesn’t automatically happen for me. Even more odd, when I tap that refresh button underneath the message, it does nothing. I have to force close iMessage and open it back up for the refresh button to show the effect. Is this a known issue or something specifically with my phone? My girlfriend doesn’t have this issue on her phone and we both have the 8+.

Crazyorloco

So can we turn off auto brightness? I’m trying to save as much life as possible. Especially with this update.

Edit:
The setting to turn it off is in accessibility.

Settings, accessibility, Display accommodations.

You’d think this would be in the display & brightness options 😑

Vardhan

So can we turn off auto brightness? I’m trying to save as much life as possible. Especially with this update.

Edit:
The setting to turn it off is in accessibility.

Settings, accessibility, Display accommodations.

You’d think this would be in the display & brightness options 😑
Thank you for this! I couldn’t, for the life of me, understand why my phone battery was draining.

Just installed 11.1.0, hopefully this will fix the friggin' freezing and other issues.

I have overslept like 3 times by now due to the alarm clock not ringing when the ringer is silent.

batrush

Don't know if it's because I'm using the Watch + AirPods now, but my 7 is getting like 2 hours less battery than it got on iOS 10. Thought it'd go back up with some time, but after 4 weeks with iOS 11 (got GM early) it's still shit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Need some help with iCloud Photo Library.

I’ve decided to let my iPhone optimize its storage and just have the full res pictures stored in the cloud.
Now, does this not reduce my current photo storage? It’s about 12GB on my phone but I expected that to drop as it started to delete and “optimize” itself.
However a week later the size is the same.
Compare this to my iPad's photo size which is 800mb.

Does iOS not actually optimize the already full res pictures on the device?

hirokazu

Sometimes, my morning alarm wouldn't go off on my Watch, which is really annoying if I left my phone in the other room as I'd have to get up to turn it off. Grrrr.

hirokazu

Need some help with iCloud Photo Library.

I've decided to let my iPhone optimize its storage and just have the full res pictures stored in the cloud.
Now, does this not reduce my current photo storage? It's about 12GB on my phone but I expected that to drop as it started to delete and ”optimize" itself.
However a week later the size is the same.
Compare this to my iPad's photo size which is 800mb.

Does iOS not actually optimize the already full res pictures on the device?
It probably won't free them until that space is needed or some background maintenance process has time to go through the photos.

Quick

Banned
Does anyone know how to delete custom ringtones?

The tones are showing up on my phone, but I've since deleted them from my PC. When I plugged my phone in to iTunes, I selected manually manage my media, and I don't see the tones on the Ringtones section on On My Device.

Edit: Figured it out. This was unnecessarily complicated to figure out.

Top Bottom