• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Quick

Banned
I think Apple missed a great opportunity with TextEdit, iCloud, and OS X/iOS. TextEdit saves via iCloud, and it would've been pretty cool being able to open the text files in iOS and transfer them back and forth between devices. An iOS version of TextEdit could easily replace the Notes app.

Is there an easy way to sync contacts in iCloud to Gmail? Or, maybe a better question, is there a way to have the iOS Gmail app use iCloud contacts?

You can log into iCloud.com on your browser, open up Contacts, and export the contacts file (.cvs). Log into your Gmail account, open up the Contacts page, and you can import that contacts file. You can merge duplicates, as well.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I think Apple missed a great opportunity with TextEdit, iCloud, and OS X/iOS. TextEdit saves via iCloud, and it would've been pretty cool being able to open the text files in iOS and transfer them back and forth between devices. An iOS version of TextEdit could easily replace the Notes app.

You can do this with notes. But I agree that it would be nice if text edit could do it as well.

I was just wondering, do you guys use Reminders, iCal, or both? When do you use one and not the other? I keep thinking of switching over to iCal since it is prettier/easier to see a day's activities, but Reminders is just so convenient and simple to add stuff to.

LCfiner

I was just wondering, do you guys use Reminders, iCal, or both? When do you use one and not the other? I keep thinking of switching over to iCal since it is prettier/easier to see a day's activities, but Reminders is just so convenient and simple to add stuff to.

I use both. iCal for events - anything with a date. Reminders just for things to do that have no due date and/or a list of things I want to see in a list and be able to check off. calendar events don't really support that.

mrkgoo

I use both. iCal for events - anything with a date. Reminders just for things to do that have no due date and/or a list of things I want to see in a list and be able to check off. calendar events don't really support that.
I'm both as well.

I use calendar events for actual events, kind of like yourself, those with a date. For example, birthdays, travel plans and schedules, that sort of thing.

Reminders inside more as a check list or to do list. I have several, shopping list, a to do list, general reminders.

Shopping list is awesome. I've gotten into the habit of checking it when I'm at the super market and it has helped immensely. Also, Siri is a godsend for this. "Put milk on my shopping list".

Protip: you can share and have subscribers to a reminders list. Handy, for example, to share a shopping list with your wife. You. Can add stuff to the list and they can check it when they're at the market. It gets checked off in your list so you don't have to get it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Protip: you can share and have subscribers to a reminders list. Handy, for example, to share a shopping list with your wife. You. Can add stuff to the list and they can check it when they're at the market. It gets checked off in your list so you don't have to get it.

How do you do this? I don't see the option

I'm both as well.

I use calendar events for actual events, kind of like yourself, those with a date. For example, birthdays, travel plans and schedules, that sort of thing.

Reminders inside more as a check list or to do list. I have several, shopping list, a to do list, general reminders.

Shopping list is awesome. I've gotten into the habit of checking it when I'm at the super market and it has helped immensely. Also, Siri is a godsend for this. "Put milk on my shopping list".

I guess I treat birthdays as "any time" throughout the day (unless there is a specific party, and not just a "reminder" phone call or present exchange). I guess my issue is I want to use 1 or the other, and Reminders works more for what I need. Still, I just want to see how other people use both apps. Thanks!

mrkgoo

How do you do this? I don't see the option

Not sure, but I think it can only be done from the mac. On a list, you can right click and share.

I guess I treat birthdays as "any time" throughout the day (unless there is a specific party, and not just a "reminder" phone call or present exchange). I guess my issue is I want to use 1 or the other, and Reminders works more for what I need. Still, I just want to see how other people use both apps. Thanks!

I didn't even set up a birthday calendar - I just said yes and it populated from birthdays entered in my contacts address book. Somewhere I set it to remind me one week before people's birthdays.

Megasoum

Banned
So, noob question for you guys.

I have a work iphone 4 and I'm having some issues with the sound (I wrote at least one post at some point on gaf about it) and now I'm up to the point where I'm thinking about doing a factory reset and basically "format" my phone to see if it fixes the issue.

So my question, if I do a backup on my pc (via itunes), factory reset and then restore the backup, will it also restore all my exchange settings and apps setups? I would prefer to do the whole thing myself without having to go through the really annoying IT guys at work to set up back my exchange stuff.

Jubern

I have a problem with my Facebook app, it's been going for a while now: If the app isn't in memory, it will ALWAYS crash once on startup. I'm on iPhone 4, 6.1.3.

I used to think it was because of the jailbreak and things were unstable, but after some time being really bothered by my phone performance I decided to just restore and go back to stock. But the issue is still there, even if reinstall the app, restore (from backup) and clear the cache.

Any ideas?

Being on a 4 is getting more and more annoying as time goes by :x

mrkgoo

So, noob question for you guys.

I have a work iphone 4 and I'm having some issues with the sound (I wrote at least one post at some point on gaf about it) and now I'm up to the point where I'm thinking about doing a factory reset and basically "format" my phone to see if it fixes the issue.

So my question, if I do a backup on my pc (via itunes), factory reset and then restore the backup, will it also restore all my exchange settings and apps setups? I would prefer to do the whole thing myself without having to go through the really annoying IT guys at work to set up back my exchange stuff.

That's how it works in theory.

I've done many a restore of my iDevices, and generally they never lose a beat. It's just like my phone before the restore.

The only things I lose are some IAP that need to be redownloaded (like some level packs for some games), and things like some issues of magazines and other stuff.

The best way to visualise how it all works is that all settings, app save data, photos in the camera roll are in the backup. Things that AREN'T in the backup include anything that is 'synced' (emails, photos from synced albums, music from a synced iTunes library, stuff like that). Apps can save into certain areas only , dedicated for that app. Some of that is backed up,but not those in dedicated cache areas. Apps themselves are NOT backed up.

Doing a restore to new, makes your phone like new, and then restoring from backup just applies the saved data. The phone will then sync across anything that was synced, and redownload any apps that aren't there (I assume - I've always had the apps synced to my computer).

mrkgoo

How does languages work for dictation? Is it dictated by the keyboard you're using? Or by the siri setting?

Edit: I figured out my specific concern. It's based on Siri AND the keyboard.

Jubern

Talking about languages, is there any way to force a certain languages for apps? I'm using my phone in Japanese for various reasons, but I'd like some apps to be displayed in English (or even French) without having to change the settings of the phone all the time.

numble

Well I found that whether the Chinese handwriting keyboard dictation listens in Mandarin or Cantonese actually depends on whether Siri is set to Cantonese or not.
Oh, I guess that's for speech-to-text where the keyboard isn't definitive on what to use.

What happens if you set Siri to English and go back to dictation for Chinese handwriting? I wonder if it remembers your preference.

mrkgoo

Oh, I guess that's for speech-to-text where the keyboard isn't definitive on what to use.

What happens if you set Siri to English and go back to dictation for Chinese handwriting? I wonder if it remembers your preference.

My understanding is that dictation on the Chinese handwriting keyboard defaults to
Mandarin UNLESS you are using Siri in Cantonese (Hong Kong). That is English or honest in Siri will default it to Mandarin.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I need help. For some reason I can't get Home Sharing to work between my pc and my ipad.

I turned it on in iTunes and set it up to share my whole library. The status says :"On, no user connected".

When I go on the ipad and check the settings I have the proper apple id entered in the music section of the settings for Home Sharing but I can't find it in my music app!

I tried logging out and back in, restarting the app, etc... Nothing works, I can't get my library to show up in Music.

The worse part is that I know it used to work, I remember trying it when I first got the ipad.

Anybody had any ideas on how I could fix that?

Edit: NVM, had to reboot the router.

mrkgoo

Hey guys I need help. For some reason I can't get Home Sharing to work between my pc and my ipad.

I turned it on in iTunes and set it up to share my whole library. The status says :"On, no user connected".

When I go on the ipad and check the settings I have the proper apple id entered in the music section of the settings for Home Sharing but I can't find it in my music app!

I tried logging out and back in, restarting the app, etc... Nothing works, I can't get my library to show up in Music.

The worse part is that I know it used to work, I remember trying it when I first got the ipad.

Anybody had any ideas on how I could fix that?

Edit: NVM, had to reboot the router.

Lol, I was going to say reboot the router.

I have an old Adsl 1 router, but it works well with home sharing. I've tried a few newer routers but some break that feature. For example, one drops home sharing after about an hour. What grand and type ifctouter are you using (fir my own curiosity)?

Check to see if home sharing drops after a while.

I gotta question for you guys. Is there a way to make it so that new messages coming in do not force an auto scrolling to the bottom of that message box?

Example: In a imessage "chat" with a few friends and I have missed a few messages while away from my phone (4s), while trying to read the messages I've missed new messages are coming in and automatically scrolling me to the bottom of the chat (very annoying) and then I have to scroll back up to find where I left off and it will do it every time a new message comes in.

mrkgoo

Is there any way to refresh a shared photo stream? It would seem to me if you try something like 'like' a photo or comment on it while it is loading, it can interrupt and make the device think it has loaded the image and stop. The result is a lo-res thumbnail only.

Apple support says you can replace a shared photo stream, but it amounts to deleting and resubmitting, meaning you lose comments, and the order.

Shared photo streams are so awesome, but in typical apple fashion it seems some extra minor controls would be useful.

You can unsubscribe and resubscribe I suppose, but the photo stream is pretty big with like 600 MB of photos.

With truly shared photo streams coming in ios7, does it look like there are more options there?

Top Bottom