• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Number45

First impressions of night shift are very positive from me. Seemed jarring when I first enabled it, but after half an hour or so of usage it feels more comfortable on my eyes.

Haven't really fiddled with anything else, but I'm looking forward to being able to add stuff to a playlist without adding it to my library.

Also no issue with YT here. 6s+

jts

...hate me...
I try and try to download iOS 9.3 but always get:

nb1LlqT.jpg

Now I’ve downloaded the update on iTunes, have 10GB free on my Mac, try to update the phone and can’t because it says I don’t have enough space on my Mac to backup my iPhone... even though my iPhone is set to backup to iCloud.

Ey3T3QC.gif

Plus when I plugged my iPhone to the computer, which I haven’t done in months, it opened Photos and asked if I wanted to import a bunch of “new” photos, which are nothing but many year old photos in my library, which I may have visualised recently on my phone, and I have iCloud Photo Library set and running. Why is it asking me if I want to import photos already in my library? IDK. I’m just... tired of all these things.

I try and try to download iOS 9.3 but always get:

Now I’ve downloaded the update on iTunes, have 10GB free on my Mac, try to update the phone and can’t because it says I don’t have enough space on my Mac to backup my iPhone... even though my iPhone is set to backup to iCloud.

http://i.imgur.com/Ey3T3QC.gif[img]

Plus when I plugged my iPhone to the computer, which I haven’t done in months, it opened Photos and asked if I wanted to import a bunch of “new” photos, which are nothing but many year old photos in my library, which I may have visualised recently on my phone, and I have iCloud Photo Library set and running. Why is it asking me if I want to import photos already in my library? IDK. I’m just... tired of all these things.[/QUOTE]

If you want to bypass all the backing up and photos crap, plug your phone into iTunes, then hold the sleep/wake and home buttons for like 30 seconds. It'll turn off, turn on, and the apple logo will turn into a connect to iTunes sign. This is recovery mode where all it will do is push the downloaded update onto your phone once you push that shiny little "update" button

Obviously don't push "restore" unless you want everything to be erased

jts

...hate me...
If you want to bypass all the backing up and photos crap, plug your phone into iTunes, then hold the sleep/wake and home buttons for like 30 seconds. It'll turn off, turn on, and the apple logo will turn into a connect to iTunes sign. This is recovery mode where all it will do is push the downloaded update onto your phone once you push that shiny little "update" button

Obviously don't push "restore" unless you want everything to be erased
Thanks.

But so you’re saying that it is normal behaviour for iTunes to backup your phone even when you didn’t set it to, when you just want to update the phone? I’m pretty sure I’ve even updated friends’ phones on my computer via iTunes (for example to install Golden Master releases) and didn’t need to back them up.

Also I am a bit afraid of putting my phone into DFU. I actually thought DFU was just for restores. But anyway I don’t trust my iCloud backup that much, had a lot of trouble last time I needed to restore from it (when I bought the 6s+). So I fear getting stuck.

I am just thinking that maybe when I downgraded by "updating” to a previous version of iOS some months ago, (think it was the iOS 9 betas), something got messed up since, even though I’ve updated my phone some times after that, and is currently running 9.2.1, and normal functioning is fine, perfect even. Just all these issues with backups and iCloud, and iOS updates and app updates etc.

I’m giving serious thought to start over fresh, but for that I’ll need to get iExplorer or something, to backup some app data, especially messages.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Nightmode is really great. Tested it last night and when I turned it of, I was almost blinded.

Didnt thought that it works that well, even while I have to get used to the changed backgroundlight color.

jts

...hate me...
Alright, finally updated thanks to finding the IPSW and just alt+update into it 🙏

I just don’t understand why this never goes smoothly with me 😒

Thanks.

But so you’re saying that it is normal behaviour for iTunes to backup your phone even when you didn’t set it to, when you just want to update the phone? I’m pretty sure I’ve even updated friends’ phones on my computer via iTunes (for example to install Golden Master releases) and didn’t need to back them up.

Also I am a bit afraid of putting my phone into DFU. I actually thought DFU was just for restores. But anyway I don’t trust my iCloud backup that much, had a lot of trouble last time I needed to restore from it (when I bought the 6s+). So I fear getting stuck.

I am just thinking that maybe when I downgraded by "updating” to a previous version of iOS some months ago, (think it was the iOS 9 betas), something got messed up since, even though I’ve updated my phone some times after that, and is currently running 9.2.1, and normal functioning is fine, perfect even. Just all these issues with backups and iCloud, and iOS updates and app updates etc.

I’m giving serious thought to start over fresh, but for that I’ll need to get iExplorer or something, to backup some app data, especially messages.

At least for me it was normal. I just updated my iPhone and iPad through iTunes for the first time ever today, and even though they had recent iCloud backups it also did an iTunes backup right before. So it seems like the expected procedure to me

DFU mode for updates doesn't hurt anything, but I understand being nervous about it. It was just the one way I knew how to bypass the photo syncs and the local backups and stuff.

Vyer

Alright, finally updated thanks to finding the IPSW and just alt+update into it ��

I just don’t understand why this never goes smoothly with me ��

might want to consider resetting as a new phone somewhere down the line. With icloud photo library and your apple id your contacts and photos/videos would at least carry over. bad part is you'd have to redownload apps and set up things the way you like them, and would lose imessage. But it might help if you've been having update issues to get a clean start.

EDIT: nm i see you mentioned that in another post. but yeah, something to consider. may be a problem carrying over from backup to backup.

Breaking news: YouTube finally updates app. Finally includes slide over and split view support

fucking finally

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Still no PiP on the official Youtube app, but that's probably never coming. I'll stick to Youplayer.

schwupp

i´m looking for a 360 video player on ios. one where i can just copy over a video file and view it with a google cardboard thingie.

i cant really find one that works with headtracking .. can anyone help out? :-/

Ambitious

Still no PiP on the official Youtube app, but that's probably never coming. I'll stick to Youplayer.

Yeah that's what I'm waiting for.

It's not a perfect solution, but look up CornerTube and PipTube. Both allow to to watch YouTube videos in PiP, even from the official app. But there's an extra step involved.

Since PipTube's latest update, both have the same feature set: You can send a YouTube video to either of them by copying the URL and tapping a widget in Notification Center, or by using a sharing extension. The video will then play in the respective app using iOS's built-in video player, which supports PiP.

I prefer CornerTube, as the widget looks way nicer. But I found at least one video that didn't work in CornerTube: It said "Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner", but it worked perfectly fine in PipTube.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think because it technically counts as "playing in the background"
Which is completely stupid because the Twitch app lets me play audio from streams without having to be a subscriber of the streamer. YouTube is just doing this to get people to pay for something they don't want to.

Now that it's been a few months, what's the verdict on YouTube Red from the people who make their living off the site? I haven't heard anything about results since they introduced it and the initial outcry from all the channel owners.

Not sure where I heard it... but use Siri "activate night mode" to get around not being able to have Night Shift and Low Power Mode active at the same time.

Ashhong

I have been on the beta program and am currently on 9.3 beta 7 or whatever and want off the train because of battery issues.

Can I just update to 9.3 and remove the beta profile from my phone? Or worst case scenario, should I just update to 9.3 and then ignore the 9.4 betas? I don't want to do a restore unless the battery stays shit.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have been on the beta program and am currently on 9.3 beta 7 or whatever and want off the train because of battery issues.

Can I just update to 9.3 and remove the beta profile from my phone? Or worst case scenario, should I just update to 9.3 and then ignore the 9.4 betas? I don't want to do a restore unless the battery stays shit.
You can just OTA over to 9.3 proper. Then remove the profile afterward so you don't get the inevitable public betas for 9.3.1 etc.

Has anyone had issues connecting their device to iTunes? I just added the Tearaway Unfolded soundtrack that came with the PS4 game to my iTunes Library. I'm running Windows 10, and I have my iPhone 6 on iOS 9. I just updated iTunes to the latest release, and my phone isn't showing up on the device list. I grabbed the lightning cable and connected my phone to the computer via USB. The phone started charging, Windows did it's little device connected jingle and gave me the pop up that says to click to decide what to do when the Apple iPhone is connected. Clicking it does nothing. On the phone I got a pop up asking if I want to allow the connected device to access photos and videos, I selected allow.

After all that, the phone doesn't show up in my device list on iTunes still.

On a side note, man I miss having a Mac, everything worked so well together. Every time I have to connect a device to a PC it ends up being a several hour ordeal.

EDIT: Turns out it's a straight up Windows 10 issue. Apparently as of this time, Windows 10 does not automatically install the drivers that come with iTunes. If any of you are having this same issue, follow this easy guide.
I didn't have this problem the last few times iTunes updates but I did this release. It was really hard finding any tips and as a last resort searched gaf and found this post. I'm going to try it out when I get home and I can't wait to see if it works. Thanks, hopefully.

Vyer

I have 15 days to return this iPad Pro w Best Buy. It would fall right about when the 9.7 is available. The Air 2 was my favorite tablet so far, so I figured I'd probably enjoy moving back to that size the most. This Pro is an amazing machine and a great display, but I can't quite get used to the size. Feels more suited for the laptop/keyboard case use than my 'lay back on the couch and read/browse/watch' general usage.

And yet....the more I use it, the harder a decision it is. Especially when I fire up something like, say, comics where the screen makes it glorious.

Worse still, I'm feeling a little too cautious with it. I've held off on a case because I didn't want to spend the money if I wasn't going to keep it, but I think if I had a case on it it would help with adjusting to handling it.

Arrrgh

FerranMG

9.3 for iPad 3 is taken back by Apple, right?

Yeah, and not only for the iPad 3.
I spent a while trying to figure out why I couldn't update my wife's 5S until I finally figured out it was because Apple had removed the update.
My dad asked me today what was going on with his 5S, as he couldn't update either.
This is a fucking joke on Apple's side. It really blows my mind how, after seven betas, they release the gold version and then remove it without saying a fucking word, and with obscure error messages.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, and not only for the iPad 3.
I spent a while trying to figure out why I couldn't update my wife's 5S until I finally figured out it was because Apple had removed the update.
My dad asked me today what was going on with his 5S, as he couldn't update either.
This is a fucking joke on Apple's side. It really blows my mind how, after seven betas, they release the gold version and then remove it without saying a fucking word, and with obscure error messages.

It is crazy that they didn’t get the “gold” release right for some devices, but the obscure message is just a direct result of the quickest, most effective way of preventing people from installing it: stop signing it.

Of course, it would be cool if costumers would get a message about it, but that’s not really Apple’s style unfortunately. I figured the issue would be gone by now though. We have a 5s in the house already updated (it was updated not long after initial release).

FerranMG

It is crazy that they didn’t get the “gold” release right for some devices, but the obscure message is just a direct result of the quickest, most effective way of preventing people from installing it: stop signing it.

Of course, it would be cool if costumers would get a message about it, but that’s not really Apple’s style unfortunately. I figured the issue would be gone by now though. We have a 5s in the house already updated (it was updated not long after initial release).

I can totally understand that the gold release had a weird bug in it and that they had to remove it. Bugs happen, shit happens.
But sometimes it pisses me off that Apple try so hard to maintain its pristine image, at the expense of making things hard for their customers.

Top Bottom