• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Vyer

I can totally understand that the gold release had a weird bug in it and that they had to remove it. Bugs happen, shit happens.
But sometimes it pisses me off that Apple try so hard to maintain its pristine image, at the expense of making things hard for their customers.

What are they making hard for their customers? I'd imagine pulling it quickly and making it available quickly when it's fixed to everyone is the most direct way to handle it.

jts

...hate me...
Anybody else having the issue where you can't tap on links in Safari, Mail, etc?
Yes! Kinda glad someone else is having the same problem. Haven't noticed it in Mail, but constantly happening in Safari. And if I try to long press the link, Safari will just freeze.

Weird.

Anybody else having the issue where you can't tap on links in Safari, Mail, etc?

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that, I've seen a couple people with it. Only fix I found was a fresh install (restoring from backup kept the problem around). If it's an issue in 9.3 it's a big one and I hope it's fixed in a very quick 9.3.1 because I'm about to have some very angry people

jts

...hate me...
Isn’t it weird that this issue is popping up now when 9.3 came out 4 or 5 days ago already?

I smell shenanigans.

Summer time hour change maybe?

jts

...hate me...
Everyone affected by the links not working, go into Safari settings and try turning off JavaScript and report back

Google search results now actually work for me, even though the page looks very rough.

But long pressing any link still freezes up Safari.

Google search results now actually work for me, even though the page looks very rough.

But long pressing any link still freezes up Safari.

Hmm.... Okay, thank you

According to someone on Reddit Apple Support says a fix will be deployed in a few days. I personally wonder if it'll come out at the same time as the updated 9.3 for older devices

ryan299

Ever since upgrading to 9, safari has been broken for me. Some webpages won't even load. Every time I quit the app it logs me out of everything. Just upgraded to 9.3 and the issue is still there, anybody know whats up?

Current speculation for the links thing is that it's something to do with the iCloud account, since it's affecting so many different devices, and at least one person on Reddit who is still on 9.2.1 and it's happening.

Current speculation for the links thing is that it's something to do with the iCloud account, since it's affecting so many different devices, and at least one person on Reddit who is still on 9.2.1 and it's happening.

Could be actually. On my work phone, our company MDM disables iCloud sync and I have absolutely no problems with Safari freezing up.

Deku Tree

My original launch bought iPad Air still has beastly battery life. It is quite old already too. And I use it frequently every day. But all my iPhones in the last several years all have like half their launch battery life after like 1.5 years of usage. Is there any logical reason for this?

Sounds like an update to 9.3 is coming in a few days, probably to fix both the activation issues on older devices and the safari link problems on newer ones

FerranMG

What are they making hard for their customers? I'd imagine pulling it quickly and making it available quickly when it's fixed to everyone is the most direct way to handle it.

Pull the update and only display a silky error message when people try to apply it. As silly as something similar to "couldn't install the update because you don't have an internet connection".

FerranMG

What's the error message?

It's something like I what I said before: "can't verify update because you don't have an internet connection".
I tried switching the phone's WiFi off and on again.
Resetting the router.
Restarting the iPhone.
Downloading the update in my Mac and installing it from there.
Using iTunes to update to the latest version.
After all this didn't work, I finally saw in some website that Apple had pulled the update.
I've been bitching here since then. :p

Ambitious

According to Reddit, 9.3 seems to improve performance and stability of third party keyboards. Can't be arsed to test it, though. They should have worked properly in the first place, but it's Apple.

Looks like an updated 9.3 for older devices was released. Keeps the activation lock but now it asks for current iCloud credentials, not whichever ones were used to set up the device in the first place. I was hoping it would remove the activation lock like every other update ever but here we go

Still waiting on a fix for the Safari bug. I don't have it personally but if it's widespread enough it's real, real bad

Yeah the booking app seems more like a symptom than the cause. Something definitely changed with their webframeworks

All we can do is wait

Ya no

This update has made my phone basically impossible to use... every 5-10 seconds the screen locks, goes to the shutdown screen, or takes a screen shot then locks. I updated a few hours ago and didn't have a single one of these problems before.

EDIT: Seems like I actually lost the ability to use the lock screen button... only thing it works for is to screen shot or if I go to use siri I can lock it. What a pain in the ass.

jts

...hate me...
I just don't get how this doesn't warrant an absolute emergency intervention by Apple.

I mean every morning I get slapped in the face with the fact that I cannot perform a Google search on Safari anymore.

But at least I'm aware of what's going on, and I can use Chrome or something. Even though Chrome is also a bit affected (but at least it doesn't crash when I long press a link to copy the URL and I can paste it on the address bar).

Some people must be confused as hell and reinstalling the software, taking it in for repairs etc.

The experience is borked and Apple says nothing.

iOS must be a monster to its software engineering team by now.

Hasn't affected me on my phone thank goodness and I did have booking.com's app on my iPad and that definitely got affected. Couldn't figure it out so after I deleted the app, I just backed up to iCloud and reset everything. Kind of the nuclear option for now. But it worked and I had time to kill.

So I just joined a group conversation on iMessage and I can't figure out how to turn off notifications for this particular convo. I turned the on DND option in the Details screen and the crescent moon icon is there for the group conversation but that does nothing - I still get notifications when my screen is locked and I still get banner notifications when I'm using my phone. I'd prefer to not turn off notifications for iMessage completely but I also don't want 300 notifications a day that may or may not have anything to do with me.

Did the same in the iMessage app on my Mac and it seems to work perfectly there but my phone still lights up all the time. I've googled and I can't find the solution. Plz help.

Mindwipe

iOS must be a monster to its software engineering team by now.

My suspicion is that iOS's codebase is an absolute trainwreck at this point. The honest truth is that all the benefit iOS had as a relatively new codebase back in it's early days is gone, and it's never had the careful slow stewardship of OSX. I can only imagine the amount of legacy cruft from long since abandoned APIs and UI conventions.

That, plus Apple's long term structural management approach to code. It's weird. With iOS8 there was a lot of chatter from insiders that Apple "recognised" the issues with it's software and would slow down development for a little bit to fix them. That clearly hasn't happened, like at all. And I wonder if management has just decided that while people buy shit at the same rate this isn't necessary :-(

My suspicion is that iOS's codebase is an absolute trainwreck at this point. The honest truth is that all the benefit iOS had as a relatively new codebase back in it's early days is gone, and it's never had the careful slow stewardship of OSX. I can only imagine the amount of legacy cruft from long since abandoned APIs and UI conventions.
This isn't really true at all. Apple depreciates and rewrites APIs constantly for iOS, to an annoying extent, as a developer, and iOS 7 was a major overhaul.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I managed to update my 5S to 9.3 when the first version of the update dropped and I was having no issues.

Now they are pushing this new 9.3 build to my phone and I'm kind of wary of updating again.

Mindwipe

This isn't really true at all. Apple depreciates and rewrites APIs constantly for iOS, to an annoying extent, as a developer, and iOS 7 was a major overhaul.

That's what I was saying. Depreciating and rewriting APIs that often will leave legacy cruft in the codebase. Look at how much of a mess the Airplay API is as they've rewritten it five times now.

Mindwipe

This doesn't make sense.

Also it's deprecate not depreciate.

Why wouldn't it make sense?

Just because the API is deprecated doesn't mean that references and enabling code for the previous implementations doesn't remain in the libraries. And there are inevitably examples of where other services in the OS are designed in a way that isn't efficient in order to facilitate the functionality of an API that no longer exists in that form, but don't get revisited.

This happens all the time in all OSes. I don't think it's actually a controversial statement.

Vyer

It's something like I what I said before: "can't verify update because you don't have an internet connection".
I tried switching the phone's WiFi off and on again.
Resetting the router.
Restarting the iPhone.
Downloading the update in my Mac and installing it from there.
Using iTunes to update to the latest version.
After all this didn't work, I finally saw in some website that Apple had pulled the update.
I've been bitching here since then. :p

Ah I see. Yeah, a better message would be ideal. But then again since this was a bug I would assume that that's just part of it as opposed to an actual error message/information.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've been trying to avoid the update, tapping the 'details' option instead of 'update now' or 'later' every time I get the notification. However I woke up this morning to find that the damn phone decided to just update itself overnight anyway. And my Safari is borked. Fuck

Number45

Is there a logical reason why the YouTube app doesn't allow you to set a default video quality (such as 480p)?
I guess they assume that everyone is just going to want the best visuals that their connection supports. I don't know if the playback options on the website itself affect the mobile app, but I guess not.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just noticed that the pull down spotlight hiccup is gone (5S and Air 2). Is this real life? Or just fantasy?

Top Bottom