• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

Quick

Banned
Cool thing about Tweetbot (and it's minor, really) is I'm still able to view Instagram thumbnails, and view photos within the app.

Take that, Instagram.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I downloaded it. I probably don't even need it, but I got it anyway cause free.

Anyone that seriously uses Twitter or uses it daily/constantly should probably get Tweetbot.
This is what I did too.

...I'm not even quite sure what the hell it does. Send texts for me? Filter my texts through their service for organization? Sends messages that aren't texts through Internet thus making them less efficient? Is this meant to be for people who don't have unlimited texting this day and age?

Also, can someone give me a brief summary on how the changes to Twitter recently will effect me using Tweetbot?

dwebo

Does anyone have experience with FileBrowser or any other app that will let you stream video right from a NAS drive when connected to your network? I'm looking for a way to do it without needing a computer, and I think FileBrowser will fit the bill, but I've never used it.

Edit: I see that Air Video is recommended in the OP. Does it allow streaming directly from a NAS drive, or only from a computer?

Edit 2: I forgot to add that I am trying to stream to my iPad from the NAS I have hooked up to my network.

depends mainly on what type of video you need to play. filebrowser will only play video that ios can play natively, so basically just .mp4/.mov consisting of h264 video and aac audio. I use it all the time to stream video and it works great for this. the new 5ghz wifi chips will happily pull down 40Mbps sustained, which is enough for any of the untouched blu-ray avc video I've thrown at it

if you need to play .mkv or .avi or anything other than .mp4/.mov, there's also remote files browser. it was free a few weeks ago, but $3 now. basically like filebrowser, though it has its own video player that will software decode other formats. it probably still decodes dolby as well, but I wouldn't expect that to last long. another option is it's playing, though I wasn't a fan when I tried it. there are probably a lot of other apps, if you don't care about hardware decoding, but those two at least played nice with smb shares

air video is good (plex, too), but you need a computer to run the server on

andycapps

More people should check out the new version of Twitterific. Phenomenal looking app that's well worth the $2.99. Totally different looking than any other Twitter apps I've found.

depends mainly on what type of video you need to play. filebrowser will only play video that ios can play natively, so basically just .mp4/.mov consisting of h264 video and aac audio. I use it all the time to stream video and it works great for this. the new 5ghz wifi chips will happily pull down 40Mbps sustained, which is enough for any of the untouched blu-ray avc video I've thrown at it

if you need to play .mkv or .avi or anything other than .mp4/.mov, there's also remote files browser. it was free a few weeks ago, but $3 now. basically like filebrowser, though it has its own video player that will software decode other formats. it probably still decodes dolby as well, but I wouldn't expect that to last long. another option is it's playing, though I wasn't a fan when I tried it. there are probably a lot of other apps, if you don't care about hardware decoding, but those two at least played nice with smb shares

Thank you for your response. I think Remote Files Browser is more what I'm looking for since not everything is .mp4. Is the performance of Remote File Browser equal to or close to FileBrowser?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
AVPlayer is back. The removal didn't affect me since I still had the app, but it's good that it will keep getting support. Quick, here are the links in case you want to add it to the OP: AVPlayer and AVPlayerHD.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks.

Are there any changes?
I'm still going to give the update a try but besides the iPhone 5 res and the rotation thing there doesn't seem to be any changes regarding codecs so far. I'm definitely keeping a backup of the old version in case anything changed under the hood though.

I believe it only doesn't ask if you're updating already-installed apps, or installing an app that you've already "purchased" (free or otherwise). It will still require a password to "purchase" free apps initially.

tweetbot is awesome. very powerful and robust. but i like the aesthetics of the official twitter app more. decisions, decisions...
How far behind is Tweetbot on updates? I love Tweetbot, but if I understand right there's a whole bunch of added functionality it can't access these days because of the third-party restrictions, right? I keep meaning to try the first-party app, too lazy so far.

How far behind is Tweetbot on updates? I love Tweetbot, but if I understand right there's a whole bunch of added functionality it can't access these days because of the third-party restrictions, right? I keep meaning to try the first-party app, too lazy so far.

i dont think tweetbot can add filters to photos like the official one. im not sure what else since im not a heavy tweeter.

first party app is good. simple and intuitive.

NawidA

Banned
Any new stuff Twitter adds will likely not be in there. So far it's photo filters and the "Connect" bar. However, Tweetbot of course has a ton of more useful features that Twitter will never implement. For a dollar, even if you don't use Twitter, Tweetbot is worth it to marvel at app design.

XOMTOR

tweetbot is awesome. very powerful and robust. but i like the aesthetics of the official twitter app more. decisions, decisions...

I went back to using the official app. Tweetbot was missing some reply tweets in conversation view and I cannot get push notifications to work at all despite trying all the suggestions. Also much prefer the native app's UI.

Rekwest

naver is a korean company, but i believe LINE was developed in japan. kakao would steamroller it in korea yeah.

i got a LINE teddy bear as a christmas present. god i love that bear

Pinger EX(1.99) is free now. free calll and texting with Pinger users and 60m of voice to others numbers.

Tattooth

What's the best app to stream video from NAS? I bought cinexplayer and even with upnp enabled, it doesn't work. Are their any other alternatives?

Rekwest

What's the best app to stream video from NAS? I bought cinexplayer and even with upnp enabled, it doesn't work. Are their any other alternatives?

Depends mainly on what type of video you need to play. filebrowser will only play video that ios can play natively, so basically just .mp4/.mov consisting of h264 video and aac audio. I use it all the time to stream video and it works great for this. the new 5ghz wifi chips will happily pull down 40Mbps sustained, which is enough for any of the untouched blu-ray avc video I've thrown at it

lupinko

naver is a korean company, but i believe LINE was developed in japan. kakao would steamroller it in korea yeah.

i got a LINE teddy bear as a christmas present. god i love that bear

Yup, you're right, and I only use Line to keep in touch with Japanese friends.

Ambitious

I just got AirVideo, and it seems to be pretty awesome. Unfortunately, subtitles aren't working for a bunch of my videos. They aren't even listed in the subtitle dropdown. What a shame.
Which other apps could I try? Plex? I'd prefer a dedicated media streaming app, no full-blown remote desktop app like Splashtop.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nah, It's more like Snapchat.

EDIT: To syphon away Snapchat's userbase.
I only have one FaceBook app on my iOS devices. The FaceBook app. FaceBook is slowly trying to turn every phone into a FaceBook phone. Fuck that. The main app does everything these half a dozen other apps do. They're not needed. I don't need a hundred camera apps (It's bad enough I haven't deleted Instagram yet plus they had that separate camera app for some stupid reason.) or a hundred messaging apps (Text messages for text messages, FaceBook app for FB messages. I don't even use AIM. Unlimited texting and iMessage on OS X has made that stuff obsolete.) or whatever this new thing is. I just use FB to keep in touch. It's bad enough I can't hide things easily when my friends get spammy. Which is why I prefer to use Twitter for posting. People on Twitter are interesting. People on FaceBook are really getting annoying.

What exactly is the point of Snapchat anyway? Even the description on Wikipedia doesn't make any sense to me.

I only have one FaceBook app on my iOS devices. The FaceBook app. FaceBook is slowly trying to turn every phone into a FaceBook phone. Fuck that. The main app does everything these half a dozen other apps do. They're not needed. I don't need a hundred camera apps (It's bad enough I haven't deleted Instagram yet plus they had that separate camera app for some stupid reason.) or a hundred messaging apps (Text messages for text messages, FaceBook app for FB messages. I don't even use AIM. Unlimited texting and iMessage on OS X has made that stuff obsolete.) or whatever this new thing is. I just use FB to keep in touch. It's bad enough I can't hide things easily when my friends get spammy. Which is why I prefer to use Twitter for posting. People on Twitter are interesting. People on FaceBook are really getting annoying.

What exactly is the point of Snapchat anyway? Even the description on Wikipedia doesn't make any sense to me.
Sexting

dwebo

Thank you for your response. I think Remote Files Browser is more what I'm looking for since not everything is .mp4. Is the performance of Remote File Browser equal to or close to FileBrowser?

for video playback? with .mp4 they should be the same. remote files browser, or any app that software decodes, can only reliably play 720p or lower. the it's playing app supposedly hardware accelerates h264 .mkv, so if you have a lot of 1080p, that might be worth trying. it's playing removed dolby decoding recently, like everything else, so you'll need to transcode the audio into a separate file. if remote files browser doesn't remove dolby too, it could be pulled from the app store (or it's low enough profile to avoid that for awhile). basically, if you're not playing apple approved formats, you're going to have some headaches

if you meant transfer speed, they should be the same too (~5MB/s for 5ghz, half that for 2.4)

jts

...hate me...

Facebook Messenger has landscape, FB app doesn't. Ughhhhhh.

Hate typing in portrait for more than just a quick text.

And Snapchat is incognito mode for chat.

lupinko

Yup, you're right, and I only use Line to keep in touch with Japanese friends.

Speaking of LINE, it looks like they have their first American celebs using it now:

T-Pain
Kreayshawn
Snoop

I know Snoop stopped caring and sold out years ago, but lol.

Oh and the Hokuto no Ken stickers are too good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Speaking of LINE, it looks like they have their first American celebs using it now:

T-Pain
Kreayshawn
Snoop

I know Snoop stopped caring and sold out years ago, but lol.

Oh and the Hokuto no Ken stickers are too good.

Also.. there's an official Win 8 app for LINE now.

lupinko

As much as I dig my HNK stickers, they won't see much use since my friends on LINE are all girls, sigh, oh well. =/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Facebook Messenger has landscape, FB app doesn't. Ughhhhhh.

Hate typing in portrait for more than just a quick text.

And Snapchat is incognito mode for chat.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just forgot to put landscape back in when they rewrote the app, but comeon!! There's been plenty of time to put it back in! It doesn't even have to be in News Feed view. As long as it allows landscape when typing something.

Also, Snapchat sounds like a stupid idea all around.

Also, funny thing. I saw a news story today about how the FaceBook Camera app had a huge security hole. Good job, Facebook! And good job all the people who use it instead of just using the normal camera app on your phone and your OS' built-in sharing features, or the camera functionality of the FaceBook app in the first place.

kr2t0s

Also, Snapchat sounds like a stupid idea all around.

Also, funny thing. I saw a news story today about how the FaceBook Camera app had a huge security hole. Good job, Facebook! And good job all the people who use it instead of just using the normal camera app on your phone and your OS' built-in sharing features, or the camera functionality of the FaceBook app in the first place.

Good job being on Facebook in the first place! Total waste of time and you would be a happier person with all that free time doing something else.

Top Bottom